Samsung 2014 PN64H5000 thread - Page 26 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 194Likes

post #751 of 1776 Old 01-13-2015, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by LmLewis View Post
They have these left because most people are scared off by the Pentile display, the screen glare in bright lights and because Plasma is dead and everyone wants the latest 4K. Otherwise at this price I think they would be hard to find. Samsung probably produced a ton of these just to use up the components, and maybe they figured there would be a rush since it's the last plasma, but there is no rush.
Agreed. That's why we need to get the word out that the penntile layout and glare are NOT deal killers at all and that this TV does a helluva job overall. Just watched Yellowstone Battle for Survival on blu Ray and it was stupendous looking.

You either have to spend TWICE the amount or more to get better PQ and even that's questionable seeing as I returned two sets that were twice the price. Or, you can spend the same amount on a horrificly crappy, base model LCD which I gaurantee will look like garbage compared to this set in all but the sunlit Florida room.

I tried to get some pictures tonight and sadly they did NOT come out good, even with the good camera. Ugh. How the HELL do people get good shots of these TVs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin2 View Post
Nope, not late at all. I suppose you noticed Samsung continued making F models well into the 2014 model year so why not extend the PN64H5000 into 2015... as long as it sells. It's up to Samsung not CNET.
Agreed. Plasma is dead but I'll be damned, I bought one and love it. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. How sad that this is likely the last plasma I'll be able to buy new. Still mulling over snagging another one. I mean, that'd be dumb but it's still tempting.

Samsung PN64H5000
LG BP 540
Sony DH550 AVR
Polk Tsi, RSi, Bookshelves & PSW sub-woofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 1776 Old 01-13-2015, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I would love to see some daytime shots too. I think a best case/worst case viewing would help a lot of people get off of the fence.
post #753 of 1776 Old 01-13-2015, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
They have these left because most people are scared off by the Pentile display, the screen glare in bright lights and because Plasma is dead and everyone wants the latest 4K. Otherwise at this price I think they would be hard to find. Samsung probably produced a ton of these just to use up the components, and maybe they figured there would be a rush since it's the last plasma, but there is no rush.
99.9% of the population has never heard of Pentile display, and the "screen glare" isn't something most people think about. When I say "most people" I mean - not us. And even within AVS it's way overblown but may still be scaring people away. The general consumer assumes sales people at BB, Sears, etc have even the slightest idea what they are talking about - plasma has image burn problems, LCD is brighter, you want 4k, etc.

Quote:
Nope, not late at all. I suppose you noticed Samsung continued making F models well into the 2014 model year so why not extend the PN64H5000 into 2015... as long as it sells. It's up to Samsung not CNET.
You're right - it's up to Samsung and they shut it down. They kept making F models because the plant was still running. The H5000 sells to us, not the general public buying TVs. They aren't going to keep producing something that a very small niche minority is interested in buying unless it demands a premium price. It's dead -get it while you can.

Last edited by TH3_FRB; 01-13-2015 at 07:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #754 of 1776 Old 01-13-2015, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller View Post
I would love to see some daytime shots too. I think a best case/worst case viewing would help a lot of people get off of the fence.
I don't know why anyone is still on the fence, to be honest. This TV gives a better image than 90% of all TVs under $2500. For $1200. Add a smart BD player and AVR (which many of us already have) and you're set.
post #755 of 1776 Old 01-13-2015, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm considering this set as a size upgrade to my Panasonic TC-P55VT50. The only thing I'm concerned about is the potential for increased glare. I really don't notice glare on my Panasonic - I think it has a coating and is sufficiently bright to prevent glare during normal viewing.

For those of you who own this set, how bad is the glare in comparison to other plasma TVs?

Greg
post #756 of 1776 Old 01-13-2015, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSaiz View Post
I'm considering this set as a size upgrade to my Panasonic TC-P55VT50. The only thing I'm concerned about is the potential for increased glare. I really don't notice glare on my Panasonic - I think it has a coating and is sufficiently bright to prevent glare during normal viewing.

For those of you who own this set, how bad is the glare in comparison to other plasma TVs?
It's not really glare, it's actually reflection. If you have bright light during the day it will look a little washed out. I've been running break in slides all day, and I really don't notice anything. I normally don't watch TV during the day, at night it looks beautiful and I have my levels turned way down till its broke in, but you would never know it. That's one of the things I like about plasmas is the high gloss screen. I think they are more common now even for LCD's, but I remember in years past, seeing MAT screen and thinking how much I hated them because to me the colors were never as bright. I read all the posts on Amazon and in here, and was apprehensive about the horror stories about the "glare" and "Pentile" display etc, but I'm glad now I ignored them. 64" beautiful TV for $1300, quite a steal! Size does matter!
post #757 of 1776 Old 01-13-2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3_FRB View Post
99.9% of the population has never heard of Pentile display, and the "screen glare" isn't something most people think about. When I say "most people" I mean - not us. And even within AVS it's way overblown but may still be scaring people away. The general consumer assumes sales people at BB, Sears, etc have even the slightest idea what they are talking about - plasma has image burn problems, LCD is brighter, you want 4k, etc..
These horror stories made me apprehensive about getting it, I had buyers remorse right up till the time I set it up. Never saw it, since BB and other stores don't stock it anymore. The Magnolia guy at BB really panned it when I went to inquire about it, he said it was an entry level TV based on old technology. And he is right, but it's beautiful, and it was a great choice!
post #758 of 1776 Old 01-14-2015, 03:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller View Post
I'll try some pics again during the day but it won't be until the weekend. I did watch the football games this weekend and didn't find the reflections to be a big issue. Sure, the contrast is reduced and it's not as good of a performer during the day as at night but I enjoyed the games, nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
I don't know why anyone is still on the fence, to be honest. This TV gives a better image than 90% of all TVs under $2500. For $1200. Add a smart BD player and AVR (which many of us already have) and you're set.
Exactly. All that smart stuff, 4K, 3D, Internet connectivity, etc, etc doesn't really mean diddly pooh. People have a zillion ways to stream content. Most also have an AVR. Even if they don't, as you said, they can get a turnkey setup using this TV as the main unit and have a fantastic video system. No brainer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSaiz View Post

As others have mentioned it's more reflections than glare. With a very bright room this set will probably have more reflections than your Panasonic did. However, IMO, it is NOT a huge issue and you can use settings to brighten the image and light output during daytime use which will help. Even so, some simple light controlling measures will help too. The TV is plenty watchable during the day, just expect the image quality to be lesser overall than afternoon or evenings. Don't skip out on this set due to reflection worries. I suspect your reaction to the reflections will match mine and Lewis's. Neither of us feel it's a big deal at all and much less of a problem than we were expecting.

Unless you watch like 80% of your TV during the morning or day and have massive windows opened everywhere. Most don't do that though.

Quote:
It's not really glare, it's actually reflection. If you have bright light during the day it will look a little washed out. I've been running break in slides all day, and I really don't notice anything. I normally don't watch TV during the day, at night it looks beautiful and I have my levels turned way down till its broke in, but you would never know it. That's one of the things I like about plasmas is the high gloss screen. I think they are more common now even for LCD's, but I remember in years past, seeing MAT screen and thinking how much I hated them because to me the colors were never as bright. I read all the posts on Amazon and in here, and was apprehensive about the horror stories about the "glare" and "Pentile" display etc, but I'm glad now I ignored them. 64" beautiful TV for $1300, quite a steal! Size does matter!
Ditto. I was also a little scared and it took about an hour of viewing and messing with settings to squash those concerns. The penntile grid can be seen but you have to be unnaturally close to the TV so that renders that a non issue, IMO. From normal viewing distances, the detail and presentation are excellent!

Reflections are also overblown. On a bright sunny day with a window opened directly opposite the TV I could see it really washing out. But, we have windows to the side of the TV and when opened it didn't really make a huge difference. Sure, you do lose some contrast/punch and the blacks aren't as black as they are during the evening. But, as I said before, the TV can be adjusted to daytime environments and then you use your evening settings for night time. Not really a problem. Just might take a little curtain and blind management. Pretty easy to do, IMO.

Other than that, for its size and performance Im completely smitten with it. Feel like I screwed the pooch per se. This TV beat out sets closing twice as much. It ain't perfect, not at all, but I'll be damned if I can get this performance in this size range for anywhere near this price. I KNOW I cannot. . Been there, tried that.

Samsung PN64H5000
LG BP 540
Sony DH550 AVR

Last edited by s2mikey; 01-14-2015 at 03:07 AM.
post #759 of 1776 Old 01-14-2015, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It's only entry level because it doesn't have bells and whistles and 3D. People tend to like the idea of having Netflix and other apps built into a single device because it's easier. I couldn't care less about 3D and a Roku 3 for under $100 is far superior to any smart feature set built into a TV. And Plasma is old technology in the sense that it's been phased out but mostly because of the profit margin that can be made on LCD/LED, not because it's inferior in terms of performance.

FYI - my local Sears had the 51" and 60" versions on display as recently as last weekend if anyone wants to put eyes on the screen before ordering.

Quote:
These horror stories made me apprehensive about getting it, I had buyers remorse right up till the time I set it up. Never saw it, since BB and other stores don't stock it anymore. The Magnolia guy at BB really panned it when I went to inquire about it, he said it was an entry level TV based on old technology. And he is right, but it's beautiful, and it was a great choice!
post #760 of 1776 Old 01-14-2015, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
I don't know why anyone is still on the fence, to be honest. This TV gives a better image than 90% of all TVs under $2500. For $1200...
And even more amazing ... it has a better display than at least 98% of all new 64-65" HDTVs for sale today under $1300!

Sure, the PN64H5000 panel is very reflective. Sure, it isn't a 3D smart TV with lots of inputs. Sure, it has lousy sound. Sure, it may use $10 more electricity than a similar size LED. Sure, the industry is moving on from plasma...

But my questions are ... Why would anyone expect a true home theater experience in an over-lit, sunny room? Why would anyone need the "extras" if they put together good home theater components and really just needed an excellent monitor and TV tuner? This plasma TV gives you "everything you need and nothing you don't". (Credit to Larry Vickers and Daniel Defense for the quote.)

---------------------------------------------------
2014 Samsung PN64H5000 Plasma Thread
2008 Samsung HLxxA650 DLP Thread/FAQ
Free Men Do Not Ask Permission to Bear Arms
post #761 of 1776 Old 01-14-2015, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
FYI - "screwed the pooch" means you f'd up pretty badly. For example - Jim's presentation was a complete disaster. He really screwed the pooch on that one.
Wow - bad use then. I always thought that meant you "pulled a fast one" or "took advantage."

How embarrassing. Ill just say I "feel really good about my purchase"?

Quote:
And even more amazing ... it has a better display than at least 98% of all new 64-65" HDTVs for sale today under $1300!

Sure, the PN64H5000 panel is very reflective. Sure, it isn't a 3D smart TV with lots of inputs. Sure, it has lousy sound. Sure, it may use $10 more electricity than a similar size LED. Sure, the industry is moving on from plasma...

But my questions are ... Why would anyone expect a true home theater experience in an over-lit, sunny room? Why would anyone need the "extras" if they put together good home theater components and really just needed an excellent monitor and TV tuner? This plasma TV gives you "everything you need and nothing you don't". (Credit to Larry Vickers and Daniel Defense for the quote.)
Yes, yes, and more yes! I never understood the "harping" that there is about bright room performance. Who the hell watches TV with any level of "seriousness" at 2pm in the afternoon on a bright, sunny day? First of all - get off the couch and get yer butt outside to enjoy the sun! That aside, its one thing to have the TV on and casually watching but does any REALLY plunk down and watch serious films or their favs during the day with all the windows open? My gut feel is no. Even during football this past weekend, I had some window blinds drawn partially opened and it hardly mattered. The football looked great. Were the blacks and contrast as good as they are at night? No - but they were hardly a problem.

Lets face it - just about every plasma "issue" has been overstated, overblown, and over dramatized. In the case of the H5000, it gets even more "heat" due to the pentile grid which is another thing that doesnt matter once you get it home and you view it from proper viewing distances.

I hate to say it but even fans and owners of the F8500 plasma seem to want to hammer on the 5300 and H5000 about their lack of an AR filter. Ya know what? Thats over-rated as far as Im concerned.

These prevailing attitudes certainly helped to kill off plasma. Its sickening though because much of it is BS as we all seem to know. What I "know" is that this H5000 is a gem and terrific buy and Ill defend it all day long.... or should I say all night long because of the "reflections" during the day?

Samsung PN64H5000
LG BP 540
Sony DH550 AVR

Last edited by s2mikey; 01-14-2015 at 09:02 AM.
post #762 of 1776 Old 01-14-2015, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

A couple friends and I have been talking about buying a large HDTV since Thanksgiving. After much research and soul searching I finally bought the PN64H5000. After having it a few days I'm glad I got it. My main worry is that it could die an early death and I wouldn't be able to replace it at the price.

One friend has his large Samsung LED delivered Friday. Over the weekend it will be interesting to compare the sets as best we can. The other friend might be the best judge since he has the advantage to compare the two new TVs in home. I expect he'll go with LED since I'm the only one who has a controlled light media room (in my basement).

post #763 of 1776 Old 01-14-2015, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Hey Mikey! English lesson #2 !

This weekend beg, borrow or steal a Blu-ray of "The Right Stuff". You'll see how 'screw the pooch' should be used ... Excellent movie and it would look amazing on your new H5000!

post #764 of 1776 Old 01-14-2015, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
It's only entry level because it doesn't have bells and whistles and 3D. People tend to like the idea of having Netflix and other apps built into a single device because it's easier. I couldn't care less about 3D and a Roku 3 for under $100 is far superior to any smart feature set built into a TV.
That simply isn't true. The H5000 is a decent set for sure but it lacking the SMART features and 3D is not the only thing missing and it's not the only reason it's considered entry level. You can dismiss the pentile display and the lack of an anti-glare filter as well as poor bright room viewing (and that's a very normal thing for people to have lights on or the blinds open when watching TV), but that's what you would be doing, dismissing them. They are big part of what makes the H5000 entry level. There are other things such as the plastic bezel but those are aesthetics and it's up to the owner what looks good in terms of furniture in their home.
post #765 of 1776 Old 01-14-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
I hate to say it but even fans and owners of the F8500 plasma seem to want to hammer on the 5300 and H5000 about their lack of an AR filter. Ya know what? Thats over-rated as far as Im concerned.
I was looking though the F8500 thread and it looks like a lot of them have a few bad pixels and their just screwed now, no replacements, just deal with it, or get something else. I'm so lucky, all my pixels are perfect. Been running the break in slides for the last 3 days except in the evening to use the TV, and it looks flawless when running the slides. Just put on a USB and plugged it in, took about 5 minutes, it runs on the slide show. It's probably silly and anal of me, but since I will be keeping for the next 5 years or so, it's not really that bad.
post #766 of 1776 Old 01-14-2015, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

I'm more than willing to dismiss the smart features, 3D, reflective panel, cheap plastic bezel and "chicken foot" stand to get an entry level large screen this good.

What I do have some concern over is how good is the power supply and other circuitry. Between entry level Samsung and top of the line Samsung. So far my experience with many Samsung products has been utter reliability. Hope that continues with the PN64H5000.

post #767 of 1776 Old 01-14-2015, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was looking though the F8500 thread and it looks like a lot of them have a few bad pixels and their just screwed now, no replacements, just deal with it, or get something else. I'm so lucky, all my pixels are perfect. Been running the break in slides for the last 3 days except in the evening to use the TV, and it looks flawless when running the slides. Just put on a USB and plugged it in, took about 5 minutes, it runs on the slide show. It's probably silly and anal of me, but since I will be keeping for the next 5 years or so, it's not really that bad.
I visit both the H5000 and F8500 threads daily and so far I've seen only 2 people mention anything about bad pixels and that can happen with any TV. The H5000 just hasn't been sold out because it's not very popular. Samsung has stopped production on all Plasma so parts will be limited on any TV at some point. My F8500 certainly has a perfect screen. And please be fair and say truthful things. Anyone who buys an F8500 has a 1 year warranty and Samsung can still replace panels so nobody is screwed.

What I am seeing on this thread in particular are a lot of people actually trying to shut down the benefits of the F8500 and attempting to make these entry level sets seem the same as an F8500. That's called "Justifying one's Purchase". If people wanted the H5000 they would buy one, same as for people wanting the F8500.

Let's just stop this "who's TV is better than who's" pissing contest. But at the same time you need to recognize what you actually bought and just accept it rather than putting the other TV down because you decided not to buy it.

Plain and simple, the H5000 is an entry-level set and the F8500 is a reference TV. Like I said earlier, if people do not care for the SMART or 3D features then that's their choice but the lack of them is not what makes the H5000 entry level.

Last edited by HLdan; 01-14-2015 at 11:16 AM.
post #768 of 1776 Old 01-14-2015, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Smile

Greetings Fellow Earthakins!

Like many of you, I spent far too much time researching the right TV for me.

I finally decided that I really wanted either an OLED or Plasma for the best picture quality. As you know OLED's are still quite expensive in the size I wanted. I went back and forth between new Samsung and Sony 4K LED LCD's and the few remaining plasma models.

While out shopping and comparing I stumbled on this beautiful PN64H5000 at my local Frys on sale for about $1,098. I was stunned by the price for a Plasma and soon found out that it was not a Smart TV and the inputs are rather limited (only 2 HDMI, 1 Component, Ant). Since I don't care for any Smart TV features (I have an Xbox One that does all of that) I absolutely jumped at the chance to own this TV.

I've now had the TV running in my home for over 2 weeks now and WOW what a beautiful picture! Even the out of the box picture settings were really quite good. I am so over the top satisfied with this TV and I would recommend it to ANYONE for the PRICE alone! Where else can you find a 64" Plasma for just over $1000?????

Additionally, I set up my Lightpack (a Kickstarter project I backed) to give it Ambilight capabilities. This adds a whole new depth to TV watching and I really wish Philips would sell these sets in the US.

Being a proud owner and AV geek... ASK ME ANYTHING! I've attached a picture of my Lightpack running with a static image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PN65H5000.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	282.9 KB
ID:	478314  
post #769 of 1776 Old 01-14-2015, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1780 Post(s)
Liked: 3556
knock it off guys

posts deleted

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

post #770 of 1776 Old 01-14-2015, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm more than willing to dismiss the smart features, 3D, reflective panel, cheap plastic bezel and "chicken foot" stand to get an entry level large screen this good.

What I do have some concern over is how good is the power supply and other circuitry. Between entry level Samsung and top of the line Samsung. So far my experience with many Samsung products has been utter reliability. Hope that continues with the PN64H5000.
I agree in that I hope Samsung used at least decent parts in this TV so it will last. No way to replace it after a certain amount of time and that wont be long. The scariest thought I have right now is that in 14 months something "goes" and I get stuck with NO replacement and have to hit the stores again chewing through LCDs that arent cutting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
I visit both the H5000 and F8500 threads daily and so far I've seen only 2 people mention anything about bad pixels and that can happen with any TV. The H5000 just hasn't been sold out because it's not very popular. Samsung has stopped production on all Plasma so parts will be limited on any TV at some point. My F8500 certainly has a perfect screen. And please be fair and say truthful things. Anyone who buys an F8500 has a 1 year warranty and Samsung can still replace panels so nobody is screwed.

What I am seeing on this thread in particular are a lot of people actually trying to shut down the benefits of the F8500 and attempting to make these entry level sets seem the same as an F8500. That's called "Justifying one's Purchase". If people wanted the H5000 they would buy one, same as for people wanting the F8500.

Let's just stop this "who's TV is better than who's" pissing contest. But at the same time you need to recognize what you actually bought and just accept it rather than putting the other TV down because you decided not to buy it.

Plain and simple, the H5000 is an entry-level set and the F8500 is a reference TV. Like I said earlier, if people do not care for the SMART or 3D features then that's their choice but the lack of them is not what makes the H5000 entry level.
HLDan - I hear ya. I hope Im not coming across like that. I think everyone on this planet attempts to justify their purchases. That is to be human. It could be argued that many 8500 owners are also doing the same thing by hammering on the pentile grid or whatever else they are chest-thumping aboutAR filters, full 1080, etc, etc).

I agree though - we are good. Any plasma is GREAT IMO so lets just leave it at that.

Samsung PN64H5000
LG BP 540
Sony DH550 AVR
post #771 of 1776 Old 01-14-2015, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
I agree in that I hope Samsung used at least decent parts in this TV so it will last. No way to replace it after a certain amount of time and that wont be long. The scariest thought I have right now is that in 14 months something "goes" and I get stuck with NO replacement and have to hit the stores again chewing through LCDs that arent cutting it.

HLDan - I hear ya. I hope Im not coming across like that. I think everyone on this planet attempts to justify their purchases. That is to be human. It could be argued that many 8500 owners are also doing the same thing by hammering on the pentile grid or whatever else they are chest-thumping aboutAR filters, full 1080, etc, etc).

I agree though - we are good. Any plasma is GREAT IMO so lets just leave it at that.
Thank U. I knew you would understand. I don't at all think you're one of the people that is trying to justify their purchase. I know you love the H5000 and pump it up a lot here and that's not the same as putting down the other Samsung TV's which is what I never see you do.
My whole thing is I am happy to see everyone get a Samsung Plasma. I'm happy to see people still clamoring over getting a Plasma. I was actually concerned the moment OLED came around that the Plasma enthusiasts were going to forget about why we all love Plasmas. I do intend to get an OLED way later down the line but I have two recent Plasmas (Panasonic and Samsung) and I won't let them go until they stop working completely.
post #772 of 1776 Old 01-14-2015, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Everyone is entitled to an opinion

You mentioned above about people trying to justify their purchase. Seems those touting the F8500 as something vastly superior are the ones doing the justifying. Sure, it's better and has more features. I have a C8000 and it was Samsung's high-end set back then. I have a problem of typically wanting the best I can possibly afford when I likely would be 99% as satisfied with something closer to mid-level. I'm glad I decided not to replace my C8000 with the F8500. I suspect I'll be very happy with the "entry level" H6000. I don't bash the F8500, just can't justify that premium for relatively minimal differences.

Quote:
That simply isn't true. The H5000 is a decent set for sure but it lacking the SMART features and 3D is not the only thing missing and it's not the only reason it's considered entry level. You can dismiss the pentile display and the lack of an anti-glare filter as well as poor bright room viewing (and that's a very normal thing for people to have lights on or the blinds open when watching TV), but that's what you would be doing, dismissing them. They are big part of what makes the H5000 entry level. There are other things such as the plastic bezel but those are aesthetics and it's up to the owner what looks good in terms of furniture in their home.

Last edited by TH3_FRB; 01-14-2015 at 12:53 PM.
post #773 of 1776 Old 01-14-2015, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank U. I knew you would understand. I don't at all think you're one of the people that is trying to justify their purchase. I know you love the H5000 and pump it up a lot here and that's not the same as putting down the other Samsung TV's which is what I never see you do.
My whole thing is I am happy to see everyone get a Samsung Plasma. I'm happy to see people still clamoring over getting a Plasma. I was actually concerned the moment OLED came around that the Plasma enthusiasts were going to forget about why we all love Plasmas. I do intend to get an OLED way later down the line but I have two recent Plasmas (Panasonic and Samsung) and I won't let them go until they stop working completely.
Great - good to hear. And, lets be honest: Us "adults" are quite like little kids with our new toys. We pump them up, cant wait to get home to play with them, all that good stuff. Im probably making the H5000 sound like its the best TV ever made. Of course its not, not even close. But, I am pumped about how I:

1) Saved myself a BIG chunk of money on this TV versus the same screen size LCDs I tried out
2) am very happy that I was able to stay with plasma and get a good one brand new
3) brushed aside the "warnings" about reflections and pentile grids and went with my gut feel instead.

Id hate myself if I didnt get one of these and instead "settled" for some LCD jalopy.

Its all good, Plasma Brother Dan!
HLdan likes this.

Samsung PN64H5000
LG BP 540
Sony DH550 AVR
post #774 of 1776 Old 01-14-2015, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I didn't post an opinion, I posted fact. The 3D and SMART features are found on many TV's over varying prices. It just so happens that Samsung put them on the F8500. Of course, they want to draw a crowd to that set, but those features are just extras and they can easily be duplicated with a low cost device such as the AppleTV or Roku or Google's device.

Last edited by HLdan; 01-14-2015 at 12:45 PM.
post #775 of 1776 Old 01-14-2015, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

You mentioned above about people trying to justify their purchase. Seems those touting the F8500 as something vastly superior are the ones doing the justifying. Sure, it's better and has more features. I have a C8000 and it was Samsung's high-end set back then. I have a problem of typically wanting the best I can possibly afford when I likely would be 99% as satisfied with something closer to mid-level. I'm glad I decided not to replace my C8000 with the F8500. I suspect I'll be very happy with the "entry level" H6000. I don't bash the F8500, just can't justify that premium for relatively minimal differences.
You're bashing the F8500 right there. . We'll let it go at that because it seems as though only s2mikey is the only H5000 owner with a balanced post on this subject. Now, back to the people that are taking delivery of their plasmas. That's what I thought people were celebrating here.
post #776 of 1776 Old 01-14-2015, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Everyone has a different understanding of "entry-level", "mid-range" and "high-end". Sometimes entry level is so low-end it's not reliable while often midrange is good enough. High end can be excellent or honestly way past the point of diminishing returns (beyond good enough). We all have to jump on the moving train sometime and decide when and how much.

We are presented this problem with almost every purchase, no matter what it is. Sometimes it's really serious, do you settle on an entry level self defense handgun that may be reliable or do you go for the "sure thing".

I really don't see the H5000 as entry level for a large HDTV since there are plenty of low end LCDs out there with alphabet soup brand names. It is entry level for a modern plasma of this size. Is it good enough or is the F8500 beyond the point of diminishing returns? Each of us must decide.

For me the H5000's warts aren't deal breakers since my media room and existing components fill in the gaps nicely. If I were in a different environment there might be too many gaps to fill.

post #777 of 1776 Old 01-14-2015, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I should be picking up my inferior entry level 64H5000 this weekend
post #778 of 1776 Old 01-14-2015, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I should be picking up my inferior entry level 64H5000 this weekend
What's taking you so long? Get down there today! Jody may sneak in and steal her away from you!

post #779 of 1776 Old 01-14-2015, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I know this is the H5000 thread but I owned a 51" F8500 for 3 days and returned it due to its HIGHLY reflective screen. For me, it was definitely a deal breaker. However, but for it's significant reflectivity, I see no reason why anyone would need to shell out a penny more to buy the F8500. Well, unless you're into all those dumb...er...smart features. Anyway, believe it when I tell you, the 51F5300 is that good!
post #780 of 1776 Old 01-14-2015, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Truck isn't delivering it to the store until tomorrow afternoon. Anyone happen to know the dimensions of the box?

Quote:
What's taking you so long? Get down there today! Jody may sneak in and steal her away from you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
PN64H5000 , Samsung 64 Inch Pn64f5300 Plasma

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page