Samsung 2014 PN64H5000 thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 194Likes

post #901 of 1776 Old 01-25-2015, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So here's a question, I currently have a 50 inch panasonic G series in a large living room. (around 12 foot viewing distance) The picture is amazing, however I would really like a larger set. I primarily use a HTPC for this set. Will there be an issue with the fact that it is a pentile display in regards to being hooked up to a PC? I do like to do some web browsing from the couch and I am wondering if the pentile display is gonna be an issue with text. Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1776 Old 01-25-2015, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemos View Post
So here's a question, I currently have a 50 inch panasonic G series in a large living room. (around 12 foot viewing distance) The picture is amazing, however I would really like a larger set. I primarily use a HTPC for this set. Will there be an issue with the fact that it is a pentile display in regards to being hooked up to a PC? I do like to do some web browsing from the couch and I am wondering if the pentile display is gonna be an issue with text. Thanks guys!
Honestly, the only time the penntile display has been an issue for anyone is at closer viewing distances. If you would be doing the PC stuff from your 12 foot viewing seat then I wouldn't worry at all. If you plan on being much closer though, say 6 feet in then it may very be an issue. I don't have a problem with text on mine and our main seats are about 9-10 feet away with a few other seats around 7-8 feet away.

For the record, I do not and would not ever use the display for PC related items so that I have no official comment on.

As Always, YMMV.

Samsung PN64H5000
LG BP 540
Sony DH550 AVR
Polk Tsi, RSi, Bookshelves & PSW sub-woofer
post #903 of 1776 Old 01-25-2015, 02:13 PM

Thanks for the input, I wish I didn't do so much research as to the pentile display. Now i'm sure ill be looking for it. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. But let's be honest, me doing my homework is the reason i'm buying another plasma in the first place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #904 of 1776 Old 01-25-2015, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 33
To check out my H5000's second HDMI port I plugged in my Windows 8.1 laptop and didn't see any problems at all seated 11' away. I browsed the web, pulled up Netflix, YouTube, my own pictures, Word, Excel, etc. No problems at all, beautiful text and graphics. And a plus, the TV scaled Windows to fill the screen perfectly while I've seen other TVs clip off the top or taskbar.

---------------------------------------------------
2014 Samsung PN64H5000 Plasma Thread
2008 Samsung HLxxA650 DLP Thread/FAQ
Free Men Do Not Ask Permission to Bear Arms
post #905 of 1776 Old 01-25-2015, 02:20 PM

Thanks for the input guys, it really puts my mind at ease as this was my main concern.
post #906 of 1776 Old 01-25-2015, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
The pentile display will be a slight issue with a PC. I sit about 8-10 feet away from my TV, and I have briefly hooked my TV up to my PC. The text looks fuzzy and depending on the font and color of the text it can be slightly hard to read . It's passable, but I wouldn't really want to do long web browsing sessions on it. You also have the possibility of getting IR from the browser frame.

On the other hand I don't notice the pentile display with moving content such as movies, or video games. In fact the picture quality is quite excellent and detailed. Far superior to that of my 50" Vizio E-Series LCD (the only TV I available for a direct comparison). The blacks and colors, and motion are stunning compared to the LCD however I would prefer to use the Vizio for web browsing. The pentile display is really only discernible at distances up to 10 feet with a static content such as text, menus, and certain large solid colors (Such as the Netflix splash screen). It doesn't help that I find myself constantly looking for it. But I cam really critical with my gear. For what's it worth my girlfirind didn't notice it untill I pointed it out to her.

I am still debating whether I will keep it or not mostly due to the pentile screen. I will be using it with a HTPC in the future and it does bug me seeing pixels. However, the picture quality is excellent for movies and video games and I don't think there is anything out that is comparable to it for the price.

To be completely honest if Sears didn't require a 15% restocking fee, and if it wouldn't be such a pain to return the monstrous thing. I would likely audition a Vizio P-Series or a Samsung H7150 next to the H5000 and pick what best suited my needs and return the other. I imagine the H5000 would look the best with movies and the H7150 and the P-Series would serve as a better monitor for a HTPC.
post #907 of 1776 Old 01-25-2015, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

After two weeks of owning the PN64H5000 I can honestly say that, at least for me, the 64" Pentile panel (with big funny pixels up close) has transformed from a worrisome issue to a non-issue and now to a positive.

The reason I now consider it to be a positive is at 11' I can't see the pixels but I do notice how much cooler the panel runs than a standard plasma panel. Power usage of $22 a year isn't much more than LCD.

The reflective screen is the biggest issue, you will need to gain control of lighting in the room you put this TV in.

post #908 of 1776 Old 01-25-2015, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

My PC's display resolution is set to 1366x768 and I had clean text at 11'. Can't say what lower resolution would be like.

post #909 of 1776 Old 01-25-2015, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I am so tempted to pull the trigger on this due to a current deal and being the last produced plasma. I currently have a 54" Panasonic G25. It was built in June 2010 and besides the infamous raising blacks issue (and pretty bad IR these days) has been solid. Is this a worthy upgrade? The screen increase is nice but if it wasn't for the fact that plasmas are no more, I wouldn't be considering this.

I just purchased an entry level 2014 Sammy 720p plasma for a bedroom and I am honestly blown away with how good the set is. It cost me $250.

I haven't been too into the TV game and my last time cross shopping Samsung plasmas was around 2009.

Anyone with this set compared to something like the G25, if you could chime in I'd greatly appreciate it.
post #910 of 1776 Old 01-25-2015, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin2 View Post
My PC's display resolution is set to 1366x768 and I had clean text at 11'. Can't say what lower resolution would be like.
If you're running Windows 7 or later, try setting it to 1920x1080 and upping the text size (in display preferences) to the 125% setting. I have a 27" LCD monitor that runs at 2560x1600 and I need this setting in conjunction with the zoom function in the web browser at 125-150%.

I wouldn't ever use my plasma for PC duties though. I'd be too afraid of image retention.
post #911 of 1776 Old 01-25-2015, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
If you're running Windows 7 or later, try setting it to 1920x1080 and upping the text size (in display preferences) to the 125% setting. I have a 27" LCD monitor that runs at 2560x1600 and I need this setting in conjunction with the zoom function in the web browser at 125-150%.

I wouldn't ever use my plasma for PC duties though. I'd be too afraid of image retention.
This was just a test of the second HDMI port and how the TV interfaced with a PC so I used the laptop's native resolution of 1366x768 (only 720p). I also wouldn't use the TV as a main external monitor.

Last edited by Quentin2; 01-25-2015 at 11:02 PM.
post #912 of 1776 Old 01-25-2015, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Also, has anyone noticed this:

On the WOW disc during the Pirates jail scene, with brightness in the common 45-48 range, there is a lot of green noise in the dark areas, especially on the cell bars. To get rid of them, taking brightness down to 30 greatly helps. However that crushes a bit of detail on other scenes so I've settled on 35 as a compromise. If you raise it beyond 35 the noise becomes amplified too much for my liking. Otherwise there is little difference to the image going down to 35 brightness and I'll take the cleaner image any day. I do realize that the Brightness charts tell me that 45-48 is the correct setting, but they are designed to exaggerate the difference for ease of calibration. I'll continue playing with it and see if any more content bothers me as much as this scene did.

An alternative is cranking up the digital clean view, but I'd rather only as a last resort.
The overall tint is green in that scene. The cell bars have green noise. That's the way it is on any TV. I wouldn't crush your blacks and hurt your shadow detail because of that one scene. I have a Sony LCD 60NX810 btw. Just reading up about this TV.

In WOW. Go to Optimize - Advanced - Video Calibration Tools - LCD/Plasma - Advanced Brightness - Calibrate Now. Get up close to your TV and calibrate your brightness so that you can just barely see the +0% Ideal Black Star and/or +0% Ideal Black checker board pattern light up. That's the correct brightness.
post #913 of 1776 Old 01-25-2015, 11:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Thanks for the input, I wish I didn't do so much research as to the pentile display. Now i'm sure ill be looking for it. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. But let's be honest, me doing my homework is the reason i'm buying another plasma in the first place.
Don't be afraid of the Pentile display, after a couple weeks with this TV, I don't even notice it if I walk by the screen up close. It's something you don't pay attention to. Glare has never been an issue for me, even in daytime viewing.

I've never used for a PC monitor, so I can't comment on that, but I assume it's only going to be as good as what's being input.

Just ordered Back Sails season 1 on Blu-ray, can't wait to see it on this screen.
post #914 of 1776 Old 01-26-2015, 01:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRob View Post
The overall tint is green in that scene. The cell bars have green noise. That's the way it is on any TV. I wouldn't crush your blacks and hurt your shadow detail because of that one scene. I have a Sony LCD 60NX810 btw. Just reading up about this TV.

In WOW. Go to Optimize - Advanced - Video Calibration Tools - LCD/Plasma - Advanced Brightness - Calibrate Now. Get up close to your TV and calibrate your brightness so that you can just barely see the +0% Ideal Black Star and/or +0% Ideal Black checker board pattern light up. That's the correct brightness.
I also noticed it in Up, but it wasn't nearly as distracting as in Pirates.

I'm fully aware that 45 is the correct Brightness for this display, with a gamma of 0. As I view more material I will keep an eye out for this phenomenon. If I hardly ever see it, there won't be a justification for lowering brightness.
post #915 of 1776 Old 01-26-2015, 02:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booloo View Post
I am so tempted to pull the trigger on this due to a current deal and being the last produced plasma. I currently have a 54" Panasonic G25. It was built in June 2010 and besides the infamous raising blacks issue (and pretty bad IR these days) has been solid. Is this a worthy upgrade? The screen increase is nice but if it wasn't for the fact that plasmas are no more, I wouldn't be considering this.

I just purchased an entry level 2014 Sammy 720p plasma for a bedroom and I am honestly blown away with how good the set is. It cost me $250.

I haven't been too into the TV game and my last time cross shopping Samsung plasmas was around 2009.

Anyone with this set compared to something like the G25, if you could chime in I'd greatly appreciate it.
I never owned the Panny G25 series but if you read through the thread you'll find that the overwhelming majority of buyers are either satisfied with this TV or its exceeded their expectations. It's not at its best in the brightest rooms, for sure and it lacks some of the new fluff features. But, it gets the important things right and that's what we love about it.

I suspect you'll love it but see if you can get an owner of your exact set to chime in. The Panny I owned as a PX42u series plasma.

Samsung PN64H5000
LG BP 540
Sony DH550 AVR
post #916 of 1776 Old 01-26-2015, 01:23 PM
CEV

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post
Just in case anyone was holding off on buying this great set, Boy do I have a deal for you that you'll have a hard time passing up

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/198-pl...l#post31142121
I saw this yesterday, and was very tempting. But I'd rather buy from Amazon and get the extended warranty they have which is very reasonably priced. Plus they have a better return policy than Buydig has. I keep waiting for the price to drop on Amazon, but that may not happen.
post #917 of 1776 Old 01-26-2015, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEV View Post
I saw this yesterday, and was very tempting. But I'd rather buy from Amazon and get the extended warranty they have which is very reasonably priced. Plus they have a better return policy than Buydig has. I keep waiting for the price to drop on Amazon, but that may not happen.
I hear ya. Before I ordered mine I also tried the waiting game hoping that it would get to $999 or whatever. But now that I own the set and LOVE it, I would have mutilated myself with a dull knife if I knew I waited just to save a few hundred bucks if I hadn't got one.

Do what ya have to do.....but at some point they will run out and then that's the end of that.

In my case, I was prepared to spend a lot more than I did on this set because I was trying out $2500 4K LCDs that all came up short. So, I spwnt HALF that amount and got a better TV. Sweet!

Samsung PN64H5000
LG BP 540
Sony DH550 AVR
post #918 of 1776 Old 01-26-2015, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Color seems dull

Let me just say I know very little about TV's. I recently had a less than 3 year old Panasonic plasma burn out a sc board. Repair cost seems high at $350 for the board new.. Thus I began to shop around. I decided after reading this post that the PN64H5000 was the TV for me. I love plasma. The tv arrived from amazon cracked a few weeks ago. Then the 2nd tv arrived cracked. Today the third one arrived not cracked. I let it acclimate for 6 hours and turned it on. I then used the settings listed by SOULBURNER in the forum to set the screen. But to me the picture lacks any vibrant color. I've been using my 9 year old panasonic 42" TH-42PX600U for the past 10 weeks since my 50" broke. I feel like my 42" has a much better, brighter, and vibrant picture. So far I feel like I'm watching an LCD TV. Any thoughts.
Tony
post #919 of 1776 Old 01-26-2015, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is it possible that you had your previous TV cranked a bit too much? Give it some time. These are the settings you'd get after a calibration disc with test charts. It looks very bright and vibrant to me. I have to turn it down sometimes.
post #920 of 1776 Old 01-27-2015, 02:37 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Magnum, as Soulburner mentioned vibrancy and brightness should not be a problem. What mode are you watching your old panasonic in, ie: vivid, standard, dynamic, etc... not sure what panasonic called their modes so the ones I listed maybe called something else.

What type of lighting conditions are in the room that you are watching the new sammy.

Are you watching the old panasonic and the new sammy side by side to arrive at your conclusions.

Not sure how to address your third point, that the picture is "better" on the old panasonic, could you elaborate.

Due to the size of the TV you may lose some finer detail/crispness as I like to call it, with a 1920 x 1080 resolution display, as the size of the screen increases the pixel density becomes less, but that should not affect vibrancy or brightness. Think I worded that right, somebody please correct me if my thinking is wrong.

Last edited by andy A; 01-27-2015 at 03:06 AM.
post #921 of 1776 Old 01-27-2015, 03:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum72576 View Post
Let me just say I know very little about TV's. I recently had a less than 3 year old Panasonic plasma burn out a sc board. Repair cost seems high at $350 for the board new.. Thus I began to shop around. I decided after reading this post that the PN64H5000 was the TV for me. I love plasma. The tv arrived from amazon cracked a few weeks ago. Then the 2nd tv arrived cracked. Today the third one arrived not cracked. I let it acclimate for 6 hours and turned it on. I then used the settings listed by SOULBURNER in the forum to set the screen. But to me the picture lacks any vibrant color. I've been using my 9 year old panasonic 42" TH-42PX600U for the past 10 weeks since my 50" broke. I feel like my 42" has a much better, brighter, and vibrant picture. So far I feel like I'm watching an LCD TV. Any thoughts.
Tony
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy A View Post
Magnum, as Soulburner mentioned vibrancy and brightness should not be a problem. What mode are you watching your old panasonic in, ie: vivid, standard, dynamic, etc... not sure what panasonic called their modes so the ones I listed maybe called something else.

What type of lighting conditions are in the room that you are watching the new sammy.

Are you watching the old panasonic and the new sammy side by side to arrive at your conclusions.

Not sure how to address your third point, that the picture is "better" on the old panasonic, could you elaborate.

Due to the size of the TV you may lose some finer detail/crispness as I like to call it, for a 1920 x 1080 display as the size of the screen increases the pixel density becomes less. Think I worded that right, somebody please correct me if my thinking is wrong.
Tony, get us more info and we can probably help. One thing is for sure though: if you are watching this set in a bright room then it will NOT perform as well as it can. It's a known issue and affects most plasma TVs.

Otherwise, we need more details about settings and stuff like that. This TV is very capable of being rich, vibrant, and quite colorful.

Samsung PN64H5000
LG BP 540
Sony DH550 AVR
post #922 of 1776 Old 01-27-2015, 03:28 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
This TV is very capable of being rich, vibrant, and quite colorful.
Quite correct!!!!!!
post #923 of 1776 Old 01-27-2015, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Confusion about Settings

Hello everyone. I have a question for everyone.

I picked up the H5000 for our new house, back in October. And we have been using it lightly - maybe 10 hours a week - since we moved in. I did not "break it in" with slides, but we limit it to mostly movies for the first several months. Now that the holidays are over, we are less busy and are settling in to our new routine. And I am trying to get around to projects that I had been neglecting. One of those was tuning the TV settings.

Firstly, let me say that I am a AV newb at best. And while I am not a videophile, I clearly recognize the quality of this set. I would agree that, based on my amateur eyes, this probably is the best set available, in this size and price range. I am well pleased. The reflection nor pene display is not a practical problem for us, sitting at 10' away in a light controlled basement family-room. I can make out the pixel layout at that distance, but it is not really a distraction.

To go about the tuning, I first found and read this thread. I noted the various setting suggestion and plugged them in. I then broke out my trusty Disney Tuning Blu Ray. Setting the brightness went great. I dropped the setting from 45 down to 42, and the "optimal black" got as dark as the "blacker than black" squares. But then I got to the contrast, and ran into a curious situation: The contrast was already set for 100, and no matter what I did with either setting, I cant get the "optimal white" to be as white as the +% squares. Is that normal? Am I doing something wrong? Is my tv off?

The set it replaced was a 47" LG lcd that is now in my bedroom. And when I optimized that unit, I had no problem tuning the whites and blacks to both reach their optimal settings at the same time.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!
post #924 of 1776 Old 01-27-2015, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Completely normal, my F8500 is the same way.
post #925 of 1776 Old 01-27-2015, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 40
As is my 5300B. In Movie mode at least. The gist of it is that the TV steps in and keeps things from getting blown out. Think of it as a feature, not a problem. Confused me too.

The better way to set contrast is to use the AVS disc and the colored bars, and be sure contrast isn't clipping colors. For my set 100 will do that, but the 95-98 range (depending on standard or movie mode) keeps it from happening.

I'd try out the AVS disc, if you've got the WOW disc method down, you'll like the extra things the AVS disc offers.
post #926 of 1776 Old 01-27-2015, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *grelvis* View Post
As is my 5300B. In Movie mode at least. The gist of it is that the TV steps in and keeps things from getting blown out. Think of it as a feature, not a problem. Confused me too.

The better way to set contrast is to use the AVS disc and the colored bars, and be sure contrast isn't clipping colors. For my set 100 will do that, but the 95-98 range (depending on standard or movie mode) keeps it from happening.

I'd try out the AVS disc, if you've got the WOW disc method down, you'll like the extra things the AVS disc offers.
Agreed - the AVS disc does a good job at setting basic contrast and brightness. My set in movie mode for evening viewing has Contrast at 97 and Brightness at 47. Perfect combination of deep blacks with detail in the darker scenes and good whites without bloom. I also do use Dynamic Contrast on LOW and Black Level on DARK.

Samsung PN64H5000
LG BP 540
Sony DH550 AVR
post #927 of 1776 Old 01-27-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedowyn View Post

To go about the tuning, I first found and read this thread. I noted the various setting suggestion and plugged them in. I then broke out my trusty Disney Tuning Blu Ray. Setting the brightness went great. I dropped the setting from 45 down to 42, and the "optimal black" got as dark as the "blacker than black" squares. But then I got to the contrast, and ran into a curious situation: The contrast was already set for 100, and no matter what I did with either setting, I cant get the "optimal white" to be as white as the +% squares. Is that normal? Am I doing something wrong? Is my tv off?

Thanks in advance!
Read Soulburners older posts, you are probably playing through a PS3, you need to turn off "Super White", then you will be able to calibrate. Soulburner has good calibration settings on here!

Quote:
Turn off "Super White" on the PS3.
post #928 of 1776 Old 01-27-2015, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No PS3. Sony BluRay though. No "super white" setting that I can find
post #929 of 1776 Old 01-27-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedowyn View Post
No PS3. Sony BluRay though. No "super white" setting that I can find
Hopefully someone on here can help you out.
post #930 of 1776 Old 01-28-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
Agreed - the AVS disc does a good job at setting basic contrast and brightness. My set in movie mode for evening viewing has Contrast at 97 and Brightness at 47. Perfect combination of deep blacks with detail in the darker scenes and good whites without bloom. I also do use Dynamic Contrast on LOW and Black Level on DARK.
I just watched the first episodes of Black Sails last night. Very beautiful, Backs and colors, this TV just does an incredible job. Only unfortunate thing was that I didn't realize that this series is not for young viewers, too bad because it could have been done just a well without all the lesbian sex, nudity, rape, "f' words, and everything else you can imagine. If this were a movie, it would be NC17.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
PN64H5000 , Samsung 64 Inch Pn64f5300 Plasma

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page