Samsung 2014 PN64H5000 thread - Page 52 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 194Likes

post #1531 of 1776 Old 04-25-2015, 04:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Would it help at all if I just changed the color of the subtitles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 1776 Old 04-25-2015, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGREASE View Post
Would it help at all if I just changed the color of the subtitles?
It might help in delaying how soon the IR becomes permanent but my opinion is that it'll still happen. I used to fall asleep watching Sportscenter every night on an older plasma. I didn't leave it on overnight but just had it on 60 min sleep timer. After about a year of that, the screen developed burn-in of the ESPN logo and the scrolling ticker on the bottom. You can actually make out the ESPN logo because its static and the ticker just looks like a faint trail. And it's there permanently. I ran color slides for days and it won't go away. But it really doesn't bother me. I only notice it during dark scenes but it's definitely there.
post #1533 of 1776 Old 04-25-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerodynamics View Post
It might help in delaying how soon the IR becomes permanent but my opinion is that it'll still happen. I used to fall asleep watching Sportscenter every night on an older plasma. I didn't leave it on overnight but just had it on 60 min sleep timer. After about a year of that, the screen developed burn-in of the ESPN logo and the scrolling ticker on the bottom. You can actually make out the ESPN logo because its static and the ticker just looks like a faint trail. And it's there permanently. I ran color slides for days and it won't go away. But it really doesn't bother me. I only notice it during dark scenes but it's definitely there.
Well my use isn't very high. I maybe watch at most 2.5 hours of anime a day which is around 6 episodes. I do watch other things without subtitles but that is the majority. Oh well. If I get burn in, whatever. Worth it for the better blacks and the TV was only $799.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1534 of 1776 Old 04-25-2015, 06:44 PM

Sorry for the double post but I don't know if this is an issue or not. I haven't noticed until just today but on a solid black screen the image seems to pulsate fast. What I mean is that is goes from black to a dark dark gray really fast. I starteded noticing it happening in dark scenes as well. Could this be the beginning of a faulty panel?
post #1535 of 1776 Old 04-26-2015, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2365 Post(s)
Liked: 1947
Quote:
Sorry for the double post but I don't know if this is an issue or not. I haven't noticed until just today but on a solid black screen the image seems to pulsate fast. What I mean is that is goes from black to a dark dark gray really fast. I starteded noticing it happening in dark scenes as well. Could this be the beginning of a faulty panel?
(I was curious on what plasma you purchased) I think you're experiencing the panel turning off when it senses no signal and sometimes the TV can't make up its mind so the pulsating between turning off and on quickly.

LG 65B8
Sonos Playbase
MS Xbox One S (using strictly as a disk player)
post #1536 of 1776 Old 04-28-2015, 03:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Do you have the Eco sensor feature turned on? Or, are any of the black level or contrast enhancement features set to high? Worth checking as they could do some funny stuff like that.

Samsung PN64H5000
LG BP 540
Sony DH550 AVR
Polk Tsi, RSi, Bookshelves & PSW sub-woofer
post #1537 of 1776 Old 04-28-2015, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
PN64H5000 Firmware

Happened to check Samsung for a firmware update. On the website has 1006. My TV has 1003.

Should I even bother to update? Saw the mention of it earlier, updating like 9 models including some LED. But as to what it updates, not much information.

If I do update, should I write down my settings, in case they get wiped from the update?

Thanks in advance.
post #1538 of 1776 Old 04-28-2015, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well, I found a refurbished h5000 and jumped on it. The problem is that it is 4 hours away...hopefully it's worth it!

Can you lay these new plasmas down or do you still need to keep them staying up?

I know in the past it was suggested to never lay them down...
post #1539 of 1776 Old 04-28-2015, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 529
^^^ if you're going to go through the trouble of driving four hours, you definitely don't want to come home with a broken screen. Get a truck or something that allows you to stand it up.

Also bring a USB stick with color and gray slides so you can check burn in and bad pixels.
post #1540 of 1776 Old 04-28-2015, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1979
They can be laid down just fine. In fact, the Samsung manual tells you to do so in order to assemble and attach the stand. However you are not supposed to ship it that way. Keep it upright.
post #1541 of 1776 Old 04-29-2015, 04:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for the info - I will do both!
post #1542 of 1776 Old 04-29-2015, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimly64 View Post
Happened to check Samsung for a firmware update. On the website has 1006. My TV has 1003.

Should I even bother to update? Saw the mention of it earlier, updating like 9 models including some LED. But as to what it updates, not much information.

If I do update, should I write down my settings, in case they get wiped from the update?

Thanks in advance.
I did the update about a month ago and everything has been just fine. Go for it

Samsung PN64H5000
LG BP 540
Sony DH550 AVR
post #1543 of 1776 Old 05-05-2015, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

All right, H5000 owners...... Let's talk about how things are going with our TVs now that we've had them for a little while and they are past any break in periods.

I'm continually impressed with mine and everything I throw at it ends up looking great. It's almost, dare I say, making me forget my KURO at least as far as overall PQ is concerned. The KURO did have slightly better blacks but damnit this TV gets black right!

Anyone else more impressed? Less impressed? Anyone seeing any issues or have any concerns? Just curious. And, I didn't want to see our thread bumped to page 2 so I posted this. Hehehehehe

Samsung PN64H5000
LG BP 540
Sony DH550 AVR
post #1544 of 1776 Old 05-05-2015, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm still having trouble getting skin tones to look right. Often they seem too green or too red.
Is it possible it's just a function of how the different channels broadcast colors?
It seems to vary and be the most green on CBS for example.
I have Comcast in Atlanta if that matters.
post #1545 of 1776 Old 05-05-2015, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My H5000 is easily the best picture I've seen. When I watch a movie or play a game, I feel like I'm seeing what was intended, whereas other displays can only try to get close.

Image retention is a thing. I'm currently smoothing out my ammo counter from Mass Effect 3, even though combat takes up only 10-20% of your game time with plenty of content in between. I'd recommend mixing up your content and running regular pixel flippers if you want to keep it at bay.

Take good care of these things- they don't make them anymore.
post #1546 of 1776 Old 05-05-2015, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 136
I look forward to turning on my H5000 everyday, especially in comparison to other TVs. Just watched the fight over the weekend at my friend's place who just picked up a 70" Vizio P-series. It was OK but still suffered from uniformity issues and not a lot of black detail. I had dinner at another friend's place who had a top end Samsung LED from several years back (with the clear bezel) and it looked awful with blown out whites, bad uniformity, flashlighting, dark scenes that look like construction paper cutouts, etc. Then I get home and have none of those issues. It brings a smile to my face to know I made the right choice.
post #1547 of 1776 Old 05-06-2015, 04:54 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
how do i do the update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
I did the update about a month ago and everything has been just fine. Go for it
I plug a computer into it?
Technogenius I am not.
post #1548 of 1776 Old 05-06-2015, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaKim View Post
I plug a computer into it?
Technogenius I am not.
Actually, the update can be downloaded onto a thumb/USB drive and thenplugged into the side/rear of the TV. Thats the best way

Samsung PN64H5000
LG BP 540
Sony DH550 AVR
post #1549 of 1776 Old 05-07-2015, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
All right, H5000 owners...... Let's talk about how things are going with our TVs now that we've had them for a little while and they are past any break in periods.

I'm continually impressed with mine and everything I throw at it ends up looking great. It's almost, dare I say, making me forget my KURO at least as far as overall PQ is concerned. The KURO did have slightly better blacks but damnit this TV gets black right!

Anyone else more impressed? Less impressed? Anyone seeing any issues or have any concerns? Just curious. And, I didn't want to see our thread bumped to page 2 so I posted this. Hehehehehe
Mine is still working perfectly, never had a problem. I still baby it, make sure there's never any bars either sides or top and bottom. Watching everyday TV programs you don't really notice how nice it is, but when viewing a Blu Ray or even a nice movie in HD, I realize how beautiful the TV really is.

I have not done any software updates, I see people on here are doing them, I hesitate to mess with anything. What does the update change? Does the TV have to be re calibrated?
post #1550 of 1776 Old 05-08-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Do you have the Eco sensor feature turned on? Or, are any of the black level or contrast enhancement features set to high? Worth checking as they could do some funny stuff like that.
The problem is the Black Optimizer. When it is set to Dark Room or Auto I can see flickering. Usually on a dark scenes it isn't 100% sometimes it is there and sometimes it isn't. On Bright Room it is still there but substantially better. When on OFF it goes away completely.

How black is this TV supposed to get? I can assume this panel can only get so black because it doesn't really get blacker than the grayish looking glass on the TV. Doesn't bother me when I am watching during the day when some ambient light is getting through but at night with all the lights off and when the screen is mostly black I can tell that doesn't look really black. I have a 5300B btw.
post #1551 of 1776 Old 05-09-2015, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
My H5000 is easily the best picture I've seen. When I watch a movie or play a game, I feel like I'm seeing what was intended, whereas other displays can only try to get close...

Same here, my H5000 display is better than other HDTVs I have seen. I still tweak the settings now and then but overall I'm close enough. To me if skin tones are right and black levels are deep on a quality source then I'm probably going to be satisfied with the overall picture. I know a professional calibration could improve things but it would enter the realm of diminishing returns.

Quote:
... Image retention is a thing. I'm currently smoothing out my ammo counter from Mass Effect 3, even though combat takes up only 10-20% of your game time with plenty of content in between. I'd recommend mixing up your content and running regular pixel flippers if you want to keep it at bay.

Take good care of these things- they don't make them anymore.

I'm sure trying to take care of my H5000. In fact, no video games allowed on mine. If I want to shoot something, I grab my AR or M1A plus a handgun or two with real ammo and blast real 3D targets, well mostly 2D paper targets...

---------------------------------------------------
2014 Samsung PN64H5000 Plasma Thread
2008 Samsung HLxxA650 DLP Thread/FAQ
Free Men Do Not Ask Permission to Bear Arms
post #1552 of 1776 Old 05-09-2015, 11:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2365 Post(s)
Liked: 1947
Quote:
How black is this TV supposed to get? I can assume this panel can only get so black because it doesn't really get blacker than the grayish looking glass on the TV. Doesn't bother me when I am watching during the day when some ambient light is getting through but at night with all the lights off and when the screen is mostly black I can tell that doesn't look really black. I have a 5300B btw.
Your assumption is incorrect. When your television is turned off in the middle of the night with the lights off can you see the panel because the glass is grayish? Yeah, in the daytime the blacks won't get any darker than the grayish panel because light is shinning on it. In total darkness you're noticing plasma glow as the pixels need to stay a little bit ignited. It's still a lot darker than a LCD VA native panel. In any event what you're seeing in total darkness has nothing to do with the grayish looking glass not being black.

Higher end plasmas have a coating (dark gray in color) on the glass and light filtering so blacks appear darker in a lit room but those enhancements have no effect on back levels in total darkness.

LG 65B8
Sonos Playbase
MS Xbox One S (using strictly as a disk player)
post #1553 of 1776 Old 05-10-2015, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Can I get the 5000 in a 64" or 60" model ? What about 5300 vs. 5000 in terms of availability here in the NY Metro area ? I am OK with either brand-new or floor models (assuming minimal wear/usage).

I'm coming from a 2007 Philips 9631 plasma so while I would normally like to go for top-of-the-line, the minute differences in blacks and PQ are probably not that important as just getting a replacement for my 50" that died this weekend. Plus, $$$ are a concern since I am out of work.
post #1554 of 1776 Old 05-10-2015, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The H5000 was only made in the 64" size. Can't really comment on availability in your particular area, but overall they're mostly gone. Good luck.
post #1555 of 1776 Old 05-12-2015, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LmLewis View Post
Mine is still working perfectly, never had a problem. I still baby it, make sure there's never any bars either sides or top and bottom. Watching everyday TV programs you don't really notice how nice it is, but when viewing a Blu Ray or even a nice movie in HD, I realize how beautiful the TV really is.

I have not done any software updates, I see people on here are doing them, I hesitate to mess with anything. What does the update change? Does the TV have to be re calibrated?
Ya know - I did the update but never really felt it made much difference. Certainly didnt hurt anything though. I did NOT have to mess with settings afterwards though. Still looked fine and held everything I had done prior to the update.

Quote:
The problem is the Black Optimizer. When it is set to Dark Room or Auto I can see flickering. Usually on a dark scenes it isn't 100% sometimes it is there and sometimes it isn't. On Bright Room it is still there but substantially better. When on OFF it goes away completely.

Hmmm - interesting about the Black Optimizer. I dont think I see any such artifacts but now you've made me curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin2 View Post
Same here, my H5000 display is better than other HDTVs I have seen. I still tweak the settings now and then but overall I'm close enough. To me if skin tones are right and black levels are deep on a quality source then I'm probably going to be satisfied with the overall picture. I know a professional calibration could improve things but it would enter the realm of diminishing returns.

I'm sure trying to take care of my H5000. In fact, no video games allowed on mine. If I want to shoot something, I grab my AR or M1A plus a handgun or two with real ammo and blast real 3D targets, well mostly 2D paper targets...
Yes, THIS. hehehehehehe

As for the H5000? Yeah, Ill admit that I do tend to baby it. Little or NO gaming. Careful with making sure I run some full screen content after an anamorphic movie, stuff like that. Cant replace it so we HAVE to be a nice to it.

Samsung PN64H5000
LG BP 540
Sony DH550 AVR
post #1556 of 1776 Old 05-12-2015, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
As for the H5000? Yeah, Ill admit that I do tend to baby it. Little or NO gaming. Careful with making sure I run some full screen content after an anamorphic movie, stuff like that. Cant replace it so we HAVE to be a nice to it.

Yep, you sure can't replace an H5000 today! So we have to take care of them. I hope we can get them repaired many years into the future. Replacement parts, especially panels, will be the worry. And the cost of a major repair. I'm hoping to get at least five years, that's about the break even point considering $250 a year for the privilege of having this kind of quality in your media room! Any more than 5 years is gravy. And maybe in five years technology will catch up to the best swan song plasmas, making replacement less painful.

---------------------------------------------------
2014 Samsung PN64H5000 Plasma Thread
2008 Samsung HLxxA650 DLP Thread/FAQ
Free Men Do Not Ask Permission to Bear Arms
post #1557 of 1776 Old 05-12-2015, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think it's probably a bit much to outlaw all gaming. It really comes down to what is on the screen for long periods of time. So if you have a game with no HUD or just a good mix of action, it's no problem. Even if it does have persistent elements, you can still play. Just mix it up with other things.
post #1558 of 1776 Old 05-13-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Hmmm - interesting about the Black Optimizer. I dont think I see any such artifacts but now you've made me curious
Yeah it goes away completely when I turn it off.
post #1559 of 1776 Old 05-14-2015, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
I think it's probably a bit much to outlaw all gaming. It really comes down to what is on the screen for long periods of time. So if you have a game with no HUD or just a good mix of action, it's no problem. Even if it does have persistent elements, you can still play. Just mix it up with other things.

A lot of Devs are smart and do the 10% transparency trick on HUD's to keep the pixels changing as well.

I've played 100 hours of Destiny on my set which probably only has 500 hours on it after the slide burn in process, and there's zero IR issues because of good HUD and game design.

On the other hand Bloodborne gave me some nasty retention after only a 5 hour session due to solid white HUD elements in sharp thin lines. Took 3 weeks of the scroll and WOW pixel flipper to remove it from a gray test pattern.

It's really a case by case basis, just as it is with channels with static logos, or watching pillar box or letter boxed content exclusively.
post #1560 of 1776 Old 05-14-2015, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisII View Post
A lot of Devs are smart and do the 10% transparency trick on HUD's to keep the pixels changing as well.

I've played 100 hours of Destiny on my set which probably only has 500 hours on it after the slide burn in process, and there's zero IR issues because of good HUD and game design.

On the other hand Bloodborne gave me some nasty retention after only a 5 hour session due to solid white HUD elements in sharp thin lines. Took 3 weeks of the scroll and WOW pixel flipper to remove it from a gray test pattern.

It's really a case by case basis, just as it is with channels with static logos, or watching pillar box or letter boxed content exclusively.

On the flipside, Destiny gave me a good scare, not sure how many hours of play I had with it on the h5000, but happened to be watching something one day and the lower left hand HUD was there plain as day on the screen. Took quite a number of hours with the screen wipe to get rid of it. Destiny now gets played on the old plasma. Think I have already accumulated close to 30 days in that game. It looked awesome on the h5000 though. To be fair, I believe I was using the screen fit option which disables pixel shift. One of these days I will try it again but this time using the 16 x 9 option and pixel shift.

If you are on the One or 360 and looking for a fireteam member shoot me a pm with your gamertag.

Cheers
Andy

Last edited by andy A; 05-14-2015 at 07:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
PN64H5000 , Samsung 64 Inch Pn64f5300 Plasma

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page