Samsung 2014 PN64H5000 thread - Page 60 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 194Likes

post #1771 of 1776 Old 01-26-2019, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I've really enjoyed the Samsung. I hope it's not the beginning of the end. Just unfortunate that my Samsung is increasingly buzzing while my to previous Panasonic Plasmas is are still functioning beautifully at my parents house. No buzzing in the color is still look amazing.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

JVC X570R (calibrated by Chad B), Denon x6400h, (4) SI Mag12v3 12" subwoofers in 17HZ ported sofa riser, Crowsons, Crown CTS3000 (mags), EP4000 for L/R, EP2500 (C and Crowsons), MINIDSP DIRAC 88a, Oppo BDP-203D, (8)JBL 8320, (3) JTR 212HT, Harmony Elite, Grafik Eye, Philips Hue, 120" Silver Ticket AT Screen, Furman, Acoustimac acoustical treatment/bass traps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1772 of 1776 Old 01-26-2019, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebuckaman View Post
I've really enjoyed the Samsung. I hope it's not the beginning of the end. Just unfortunate that my Samsung is increasingly buzzing while my to previous Panasonic Plasmas is are still functioning beautifully at my parents house. No buzzing in the color is still look amazing.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
I'm with you-- this has been my favorite TV, and I've had a few Panasonic VT series which were outstanding. Samsung plasmas are notorious for buzzing but mine was pretty good up until the last 6 months or so. It usually quiets down after the TV warms up a bit, but like you said, bright scenes can make this thing sound like it's about to explode. I'm excited to buy a 2019 OLED, but in my eyes, OLEDs still don't have the same punch of a good plasma. It's a shame the industry was unable to make it worthwhile to take them to the next level.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
thebuckaman likes this.
post #1773 of 1776 Old 04-10-2019, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Samsung PN64H5000 used

So I am able to buy a used Samsung PN64H5000 for about $350 on local Offer Up deal. It has very low hours on usage and no issues as per the seller. Do you all think it is a good buy? I currently don't have money for an OLED and need a 65 inch screen for viewing.

Does this panel offer the same black and bright room display as the F8500 series?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1774 of 1776 Old 04-10-2019, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski pete View Post
So I am able to buy a used Samsung PN64H5000 for about $350 on local Offer Up deal. It has very low hours on usage and no issues as per the seller. Do you all think it is a good buy?

Yes, I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski pete View Post
Does this panel offer the same black and bright room display as the F8500 series?

About the same black level or minimum luminance levels, but the F8500 gets a lot brighter and has an anti-glare filter (I believe the 64H5000 does not). Personally, I don't like anti-glare filters and consider this a big plus, but you will get more reflection off the screen (but a more transparent image in a dimly lit or dark viewing environment).

The biggest negative of the 65H5000 is that it's pixel structure is pentile, so it's technically not 1920 vertical lines of resolution and won't be giving you 1 to 1 pixel mapping of an HD signal (which you probably know is 1080 horizontal and 1920 vertical lines of resolution).
post #1775 of 1776 Old 04-12-2019, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1241
Yup, but I sit at a distance of 9 feet and can't see it. I think the engineers knew this and decided that the 50% lower power required was worth the tradeoff. Using 350w instead of 700w makes a difference in how hot the room gets.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
post #1776 of 1776 Old 05-23-2019, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
I'm not sold on all this streaming stuff. The bandwidth requirements are huge and bog down the internet, the quality is lower, and I can't watch without an internet connection. Don't get me started on actually owning my movies and games and "buffering".
Re: Your 2015 streaming content comment.

I opened your picture settings thread and scrolled up and down looking for other settings. I guess I'll have to turn pages, no prob. But in the scroll I found your streaming comment: well played.

My cable service' annual 'test drive' of the premium services allowed me to binge some of the Sopranos for the first time. I got hooked on the series and found my county library had all the series DVDs on the shelf. When I watched on DVD it was basically like a veil had been lifted. My girlfriend is nuts for The Sound of Music and when I bought my LG plasma that Blu-Ray was on the same receipt. Good move I must say. You see what I'm getting at I'm sure.

There are some channels that consistently suffer from pixellation. And that's "channels" not streaming (granted, what's the diff, they probably all use TCP/IP anyway.)

A few years back I made the quip about phone-media: "The idea of watching a movie wearing reading glasses just doesn't grab me." Everybody over 40 laughed. In many ways that applies to streaming even today.

When I was a youngster my grandmother gave me a little AM transistor radio for my birthday and it was the coolest. When I listen to music on my phone's speaker it brings back that memory. Somehow I don't think that's quite what Apple and Samsung wanted to evoke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
PN64H5000 , Samsung 64 Inch Pn64f5300 Plasma

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page