Trying out a Darblet broke my 64F8500 Black Optimizer - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-08-2014, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Here's a strange one.

I bought an open box Darblet. It had the latest firmware and software. I tried it out on the Blu-Ray input of my 64F8500.

I concluded that the Darblet was broken, or had a mismatch with my Oppo BD-80, because I had a lot of ghosting on the bottom 1/3 of the screen. The ghosting flickered in and out; it was a function of having a relatively low APL scene, and especially a scene with relatively higher APL in the top 1/2 of the screen, and lower APL in the bottom half of the screen.

The visible symptom is that the image from the top part of the screen ghosts, somewhat transparently, over the image in the bottom 1/3 of the screen. There is a sharp line demarcating the affected area from the unaffected area. It flickers a lot.

I jumped to the conclusion that the Darblet was defective, and removed it from the system.

However, I then discovered that this ghosting effect persisted, with the Darblet out of the system. I verified that ANY source connected to HDMI 2 (my Blu-Ray input to which the Darblet had been plugged into) now showed the same effect. It was not my Oppo, and it was not on any other input of the F8500. Just the input that I had tried out the Darblet on, with any source.

I'm not seeing things, because there are certain long scenes that I have watched repeatedly in the last 3 weeks, adjusting the picture by eye for various lighting conditions, so I know those Blu-Ray scenes quite well, and this definitely started when I plugged in the Darblet, and has persisted even without the Darblet.

I did a long, long un-plug of the panel, to cold-boot it, but to no avail.

Inspired by THIS recent thread

https://www.avsforum.com/t/1521579/samsung-pn64f8500-ghosting#post_24457578

I tried turning off the Black Optimizer, and... problem went away! Completely fixed! Turn the Black Optimizer back on, and this new problem returns.

Issue is... I like having the Black Optimizer set to Dark Room. I don't want to turn it off for good.

So, the simple act of trying out a Darblet seems to have completely broken the Black Optimizer on HDMI 2, which had been working fine before, and still works fine with BO turned off.

I REALLY don't want to try a factory reset, because 1) I have spent countless hours on adjustments and settings for multiple inputs and modes, as well as downloading and arranging a lot of apps; and 2) The OP in the thread referenced above says that he did a factory reset, and it did no good.

Any advice or experience with this issue on the F8500? Or have I just been hosed by this Darblet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-08-2014, 11:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Black optimizer is a hack and very poorly implemented at that, I had a different set of dramas to do with frame skipping and in the end I thought it better to just leave it off. I wouldn't hold out for an update with the new panels coming out soon maybe just hold on until then and file for replacement, as it often happens new fixes work their way onto the old software template once new products hit the shelves.

post #3 of 10 Old 03-08-2014, 11:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 5352 Post(s)
Liked: 3763
I doubt the darbee had anything to do with your tv breaking. All it does is sends a processed signal from your OPPO to your tv. It would be like saying your OPPO broke your tv. Have you tried clearing persistent storage on your OPPO, followed by a full reset of the OPPO? The OPPO at times can get messed up after firmware updates, and in fact, OPPO recommends a full reset after every update including clearing persistent storage on the device. Sometimes persistent storage gets messed up or the hardware gets messed up and needs a full reset. I have my OPPO 93 got directly into my darbee and then that goes directly to HDMI 2. No such issues with BO on. I know you said it does it with other devices on HDMI 2, so my guess it's your tv and it's purely a coincidence that it went bad on HDMI 2 with the darbee. You might as well try HDMI 3 or 4 with the darbee to see if the problem occurs. You probably are going to have to get it repaired under warranty anyway. HDMI ports can go bad on their own. As far as BO goes, I think it works great and I watch in a dark room. I wouldn't call it a hack.
sheshechic and Latinoheat like this.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-09-2014, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

I doubt the darbee had anything to do with your tv breaking. All it does is sends a processed signal from your OPPO to your tv. It would be like saying your OPPO broke your tv. Have you tried clearing persistent storage on your OPPO, followed by a full reset of the OPPO? The OPPO at times can get messed up after firmware updates, and in fact, OPPO recommends a full reset after every update including clearing persistent storage on the device. Sometimes persistent storage gets messed up or the hardware gets messed up and needs a full reset. I have my OPPO 93 got directly into my darbee and then that goes directly to HDMI 2. No such issues with BO on. I know you said it does it with other devices on HDMI 2, so my guess it's your tv and it's purely a coincidence that it went bad on HDMI 2 with the darbee. You might as well try HDMI 3 or 4 with the darbee to see if the problem occurs. You probably are going to have to get it repaired under warranty anyway. HDMI ports can go bad on their own. As far as BO goes, I think it works great and I watch in a dark room. I wouldn't call it a hack.

Yeah, I actually did do a persistent storage clear and a full reset on the Oppo. Which I kicked myself heartily for afterwards, when I realized that any source on that input did the same thing, and I had to reconfigure my Oppo after the reset.

The BD-80 has not had a firmware update in almost two years anyway, it's been very stable.

This sure seems like a strange coincidence. I'm not going to chance screwing up another input. I like my Black Optimizer, and I don't want to break it elsewhere by plugging this Darblet in elsewhere.

I guess my next step is to do a full reset on the F8500, and see what happens.

I think I have bad Karma with the whole Darbee thing, I should probably just give up on it. I previously had a Halite, which simply didn't work, and for which they gave me a full refund with shipping.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-09-2014, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 5352 Post(s)
Liked: 3763
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowspawn View Post

Yeah, I actually did do a persistent storage clear and a full reset on the Oppo. Which I kicked myself heartily for afterwards, when I realized that any source on that input did the same thing, and I had to reconfigure my Oppo after the reset.

The BD-80 has not had a firmware update in almost two years anyway, it's been very stable.

This sure seems like a strange coincidence. I'm not going to chance screwing up another input. I like my Black Optimizer, and I don't want to break it elsewhere by plugging this Darblet in elsewhere.

I guess my next step is to do a full reset on the F8500, and see what happens.

I think I have bad Karma with the whole Darbee thing, I should probably just give up on it. I previously had a Halite, which simply didn't work, and for which they gave me a full refund with shipping.

I thought you had done a full reset on the F8500. Yea, I would give that a try. i had a bit more judder after my last FW update, and after I did a full reset, the problem was solved. Anytime I do a FW update, I always do a full reset of the 8500. It's a pain inputting all my calibrated settings everytime. However, unless there are major improvements with FW updates in the future, I think i will avoid doing them anymore. Let's hope the reset solves the BO issue, as it has for others.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
post #6 of 10 Old 03-10-2014, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 34
How about "darblet was able to highlight a broken port / B O issue on my 64f8500".... :-)
sheshechic likes this.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-10-2014, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budwich View Post

How about "darblet was able to highlight a broken port / B O issue on my 64f8500".... :-)

No, the issue was obvious with the Darblet removed from the chain (re-read the OP very carefully and intelligently. This is supposed to be the AV SCIENCES forum)

Now, tonight, the contagion has spread to ALL of the inputs on the TV. This was not the case last night. ALL of the inputs are broken with BO on tonight. This is new, as I was watching the other inputs very critically last night.

This seems to be obviously a firmware issue now, unless it is buried in some hardware that all of the inputs share. Which it could be.

I think that now, I need to do this:

1. Do a complete hard factory reset, and re-input all my settings.

2. See whether the issue still exists.

3. If the issue still exists, call Samsung for warranty service / replacement.

4. If the issue does not still exist, try the Darblet again.

5. If the issue does not re-emerge after reconnecting the Darblet, happy and profit!

6. If the issue does re-emerge after reconnecting the Darblet... ?????????????
post #8 of 10 Old 03-10-2014, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think your title gives one (and others that might be searching on darblet) an "impression" that the using a darblet can damage ones TV which I don't think is true..... nice... :-)
post #9 of 10 Old 03-10-2014, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budwich View Post

I think your title gives one (and others that might be searching on darblet) an "impression" that the using a darblet can damage ones TV which I don't think is true..... nice... :-)

I'm honestly, and scientifically, trying to figure out the truth on that matter, which you stated in a nicely succinct way.

The TV had no issues, zero issues, on any inputs, with heavy and analytic use, before I plugged the Darblet in.

Problems showed up instantly after I plugged the Darblet in. The panel has been messed up ever since.

I DO agree, I really do. There is a conundrum here, that I am trying to figure out how I want to respond to:

1. It really does not seem scientifically rational to assert, that plugging in the Darblet had this negative effect on the Black Optimizer on my panel. It definitely does not.

2. On the other hand, the temporal coincidence is really jarring. Like, how was EVERYTHING was OK immediately before the Darblet, and it's all broken after, even after the Darblet was banished from the system

Thus, this is why I am going to follow the multi-steps I outlined above, to try to isolate the real issue. to try to figure out what is really going on, without assuming one way or the other.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-10-2014, 11:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Your "science" might be OK but your titling, "bording" on liable (against Darblet), is probably not. Anyways, it appears that you might have a significant board / firmware issue which people and subsequent events seemed to be somewhat indicating. You might request a title change maybe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page