Any more info on LG PB6600 (or other 2014 model) plasma? - Page 46 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 179Likes

post #1351 of 1765 Old 03-02-2015, 04:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick900 View Post
I adjusted my pots and what can I say what a difference!

The blacks are no longer grey but much more black and close to the black of the bezel!

It does take some time to find the right settings though but I highly recommend it.
Hi congrats . Which model did you adjusted ? You have been searching clockwise Set UP andn Set Down position till you were having no pixel missfires and etc. other issues ? As I understood you didn`t done fully clockwise for both POTs, at least for Set Down it is not always working that easy. You have adjusted POTs with TV opened and turned on, just panel attached to TV stand without backpanel ? You havent been using osciloscope or yes? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1765 Old 03-02-2015, 06:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK1980 View Post
Hi congrats . Which model did you adjusted ? You have been searching clockwise Set UP andn Set Down position till you were having no pixel missfires and etc. other issues ? As I understood you didn`t done fully clockwise for both POTs, at least for Set Down it is not always working that easy. You have adjusted POTs with TV opened and turned on, just panel attached to TV stand without backpanel ? You havent been using osciloscope or yes? Thanks
Turning set_up all the way clockwise produced pink pixels so I put the pot back to the original position and I found out I could only turn it a little clockwise but that made the blacks very deep, set_dwn could be turned nearly all the way on my set without producing any artifacts etc....

They are the only 2 pots I played with, and the results are outstanding.

I adjusted the pots with the TV off and I have the screws from the left hand side of the back cover removed so I don't have to remove every single screw but I could still manage to turn the pots.

I have not used osciloscope.

Thanks.
meta22ica240 and MK1980 like this.
post #1353 of 1765 Old 03-02-2015, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Turning set_up all the way clockwise produced pink pixels so I put the pot back to the original position and I found out I could only turn it a little clockwise but that made the blacks very deep, set_dwn could be turned nearly all the way on my set without producing any artifacts etc....

They are the only 2 pots I played with, and the results are outstanding.

I adjusted the pots with the TV off and I have the screws from the left hand side of the back cover removed so I don't have to remove every single screw but I could still manage to turn the pots.

I have not used osciloscope.

Thanks.
Tks so it`s absolutelly different story in each set POT adjustment for Set UP , Set Down, its kind of challenge . Which model are you using ? I am just curious, only to adjust Set UP is not enough to improve black level ? In some cases I have read that it is, who knows for sure.

Last edited by MK1980; 03-02-2015 at 06:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1354 of 1765 Old 03-02-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Tks so it`s absolutelly different story in each set POT adjustment for Set UP , Set Down, its kind of challenge . Which model are you using ? I am just curious, only to adjust Set UP is not enough to improve black level ? In some cases I have read that it is, who knows for sure.
I have the pb6600 Set_up pot I can only adjust a little as otherwise I get pink pixels....Set_dwn can be turned nearly all the way without any bad effects but it does introduce noise in to the picture so I backed off a little bit and now I have a nice balance between deep blacks and little noise.
post #1355 of 1765 Old 03-02-2015, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
I have the pb6600 Set_up pot I can only adjust a little as otherwise I get pink pixels....Set_dwn can be turned nearly all the way without any bad effects but it does introduce noise in to the picture so I backed off a little bit and now I have a nice balance between deep blacks and little noise.

By noise do you mean graininess?
MK1980 likes this.
post #1356 of 1765 Old 03-02-2015, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by seikon View Post
... The main questions I have are:...
- of course it voids the warranty!
- no idea how or if LG sets things up
- no other effect from what I see
- my first plasma, but no reason it should impact life.

Frank
MK1980 likes this.
post #1357 of 1765 Old 03-02-2015, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by seikon View Post
Hey fbov,

You seem to have experience/good knowledge of the pot tweak. I reviewed the pictures from earlier in this thread and I really really want to do it but I am a bit of a chicken to be honest. The main questions I have are:

- Does it officially void warranty?
- Why isn't this the way LG sets it up in the first place?
- It only affects the black levels and nothing else?
- Does it affect the longevity of the screen/tv?

Any information would be great. Thank you!
Just wanted to add my own 2 cents. I haven't done the pot tweak, only because my plasma is wall mounted above a fireplace and it take 2 guys to get it up and down (heavy SOB). But in regards to your questions:

It can, and will void the warranty, if it causes issues that can be traced back
As far as the original thread goes, LG sets their voltages lower to avoid misfires and pixel burnout from heating up too fast.
It should only change the black level, but as stated, can cause misfires and artifacts
Good question. I assume it can potentially lead to a shorter life, but most likely one of the boards, not the panel.
post #1358 of 1765 Old 03-03-2015, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I've got the pinks on my 150 hr 6650. A band in the center and on the right. I watch a lot of B&W history stuff. Driving me nuts.

Any tips on settings to lessen the effect when watching B&W?
post #1359 of 1765 Old 03-03-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meta22ica240 View Post
By noise do you mean graininess?
Yes it can make bright scenes very grainy
post #1360 of 1765 Old 03-03-2015, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked: 468
I purchased a 60PB6650 last week to replace a Panasonic 50U50 plasma (we wanted a larger screen).

The LG 6650 has excellent color and low luminance and chroma noise levels. But the "black level" should be called gray level. An inexpensive JVC 32" LCD and a Sony 40" LCD in other rooms have noticeably better black levels than does the LG. The Panasonic U50 that I had intended to replace is better still. The final-generation Panasonic 65S60 that is in our theater room is in another league altogether.

Compared with the other TVs in the house, especially the Panasonic plasmas, the LG has a washed out appearance that is difficult to watch. Yes, I tried every adjustment possible, but the LG simply cannot display blacks. Gray, sure. Black, no.

Then, on Day 2, the 6650 developed a pink tint about 10" high x 4" wide on the right side of the screen. On Day 3 a slightly smaller area of pink appeared on the left side. Days 4 and 5 brought pink areas on the bottom, top, and center.

The LG has turned out to be a major disappointment. I am returning it.

I chose the LG over the Samsung 60F5300. But last night I placed an order for the Samsung. I hope it performs significantly better than does the LG. If not, the Panasonic U50 plasma goes back into service.

Oh, how I wish I had purchased a Panasonic 60S60 when they were available.
post #1361 of 1765 Old 03-03-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Yes it can make bright scenes very grainy

I had a little bit of grain from turning both up fully clockwise but by turning down the contrast from 95 to 90 it cleared it up almost completely. The black on my set in particular was good before the adjustment but now is as black as the bezel that surrounds, which i'm really amazed by.
post #1362 of 1765 Old 03-03-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex F. View Post
I purchased a 60PB6650 last week to replace a Panasonic 50U50 plasma (we wanted a larger screen).

The LG 6650 has excellent color and low luminance and chroma noise levels. But the "black level" should be called gray level. An inexpensive JVC 32" LCD and a Sony 40" LCD in other rooms have noticeably better black levels than does the LG. The Panasonic U50 that I had intended to replace is better still. The final-generation Panasonic 65S60 that is in our theater room is in another league altogether.

Compared with the other TVs in the house, especially the Panasonic plasmas, the LG has a washed out appearance that is difficult to watch. Yes, I tried every adjustment possible, but the LG simply cannot display blacks. Gray, sure. Black, no.

Then, on Day 2, the 6650 developed a pink tint about 10" high x 4" wide on the right side of the screen. On Day 3 a slightly smaller area of pink appeared on the left side. Days 4 and 5 brought pink areas on the bottom, top, and center.

The LG has turned out to be a major disappointment. I am returning it.

I chose the LG over the Samsung 60F5300. But last night I placed an order for the Samsung. I hope it performs significantly better than does the LG. If not, the Panasonic U50 plasma goes back into service.

Oh, how I wish I had purchased a Panasonic 60S60 when they were available.

I'm really sorry to hear from your experience. I wish you would of gave it a little time to break in before passing judgement. You may be surprised how crappy some sets look at first and then at 100 hours, so on and so forth... Understandable though.
post #1363 of 1765 Old 03-03-2015, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm really sorry to hear from your experience. I wish you would of gave it a little time to break in before passing judgement. You may be surprised how crappy some sets look at first and then at 100 hours, so on and so forth... Understandable though.
I have an enormous amount of experience with televisions of all types and have learned that break-in takes awhile to complete. Sometimes even more than 100 hours or so. But the LG 6650 would have to undergo a vast--unachievable--transformation to attain the black levels to which I am accustomed. I now understand why owners here are discussing internal circuit adjustments to improve black levels.

There is also the problem of a pink screen. Will it continue to worsen or eventually fix itself? I doubt the discoloration will go away. In any case, I will be happy to see these problems disappear when the 6650 goes back to the dealer on Thursday.

Next up: Will the Samsung's pentile screen be a distraction? The F5300 arrives on Friday.
StinDaWg likes this.
post #1364 of 1765 Old 03-04-2015, 02:21 AM

Quote:

Next up: Will the Samsung's pentile screen be a distraction? The F5300 arrives on Friday.
Meta22ica240 will confirm you that he like LG 60pb6900(3d model) more like his previous F5300. However many things are misunderstood, PINK tint of F5300 is also possible but visible in all colours because it has different cause like the PINK tint on LG, which is mostly sometimes visible only sometimes in white or on some light grey mostly picture not on video in my case, when colours are changing scene by scene in my case even tint on white is not possible to be seen on fully white movie images, unless the white static picture is not on screen for longer time(mainly when I use TV as PC monitor for very short time, I am carefull for burn IN issue). Anyhow movie experience is not harmed by PINK, but in F5300 pictures with PINK tint issue I saw on internet pictures, that PINK tint damaged all colours in movies as well, and this was never seen in my case. Black level of f5300 is much better like the 60pb6650 without POT tuning, however some pieces of 60pb6900 has better blacks out of box (mine euro version doesn`t have very good black). Wish you good luck, pentile should not be problem from 5feets + , colours on LG will probably win over Samsung, however if you are greatly dissapointed by LG change is possibility. Compare after you`ll get it Best but little expenssive choice from Samsung camp is 64" pn64h5000 , black levels are even more deep like f5300 and good performer,yes higher price for sure.

p.s. when you will buy Samsung 2point IRE white adjustment is on both mentioned Samsung sets, but on LGs you can get good results with 20point white balance IRE , ISF calibration. Compare TVs only out of box is not for hard enthusiast very fair, as sets are different from out of box without calibration done.

Last edited by MK1980; 03-04-2015 at 02:33 AM.
post #1365 of 1765 Old 03-04-2015, 07:43 AM

here's one for you guys...aside from the pink noted above...

so I turn the TV off last night and 5? minutes later it turns back on and rapidly flashes a series of menu screens before going to the moving LG screen saver
so I turn it off knowing something isn't right
comes right back on and goes thru the same screens and parks on the screen saver
I check to see if it's updating or something, it's not.
It's on the latest version 04.02.03
I grab the remote and turn it off again
right back on
now I'm getting pissed
go to turn it off and now it will not respond to remote inputs at all, no power, no menu, nothing
ended up unplugging it

one thing I noticed was it took 6-8 minutes for the standby light to go out even unplugged!

set has 140 hrs on it

will make the call to LG, big PITA if it needs to come down as it's wall mounted

any ideas?
picture is fine
sounds like a control/software issue?
post #1366 of 1765 Old 03-04-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippem View Post
here's one for you guys...aside from the pink noted above...

so I turn the TV off last night and 5? minutes later it turns back on and rapidly flashes a series of menu screens before going to the moving LG screen saver
so I turn it off knowing something isn't right
comes right back on and goes thru the same screens and parks on the screen saver
I check to see if it's updating or something, it's not.
It's on the latest version 04.02.03
I grab the remote and turn it off again
right back on
now I'm getting pissed
go to turn it off and now it will not respond to remote inputs at all, no power, no menu, nothing
ended up unplugging it

one thing I noticed was it took 6-8 minutes for the standby light to go out even unplugged!

set has 140 hrs on it

will make the call to LG, big PITA if it needs to come down as it's wall mounted

any ideas?
picture is fine
sounds like a control/software issue?

I would have it looked at. Where are you located?
post #1367 of 1765 Old 03-04-2015, 09:15 AM

I'm about to take some pictures to put up later to show how good of a black level can be achieved on these sets and you'll be surprised.

Last edited by meta22ica240; 03-04-2015 at 09:46 AM.
post #1368 of 1765 Old 03-04-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
I would have it looked at. Where are you located?

North of Syracuse NY

I'm about to make the call...
meta22ica240 likes this.
post #1369 of 1765 Old 03-04-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
I'm about to take some pictures to put up later to show how good of a black level can be achieved on these sets and you'll be surprised.

Sadly LG got rid of the screenshot feature from the LG Remote app which was wonderful. Hope they decide to bring back the only useful feature on that app. That being said, my camara captures to grainy of an image indoors to capture the trueness on the image so maybe i'll wait until a little later in the day for the correct lighting.
post #1370 of 1765 Old 03-04-2015, 11:26 AM

got thru the first hurdle...phone support
waiting for verification on date time of in home
tentatively Monday
post #1371 of 1765 Old 03-04-2015, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Sadly LG got rid of the screenshot feature from the LG Remote app which was wonderful. Hope they decide to bring back the only useful feature on that app. That being said, my camara captures to grainy of an image indoors to capture the trueness on the image so maybe i'll wait until a little later in the day for the correct lighting.
I admittedly, don't know much about the "screenshot feature" that LG had, but from what I've seen here, it is basically a capture, of the video image that is being sent to the screen. There are a lot of processes (picture control image manipulation, pulse-width modulation, ignition of phosphors, etc.) between where that "screenshot" image is captured and the viewer. It does not accurately present the "real" visible image that the plasma panel displays. It thus would not accurately show the various defects that have been discussed here.

Even images taken directly from the screen are subject to all of the errors that are inserted by the monitor that they are viewed on. The recent viral "blue-black/gold-white" dress debate certainly illustrates that.
MK1980 likes this.

Dave Hancock
post #1372 of 1765 Old 03-04-2015, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Anyhow movie experience is not harmed by PINK
The pink areas are large and do indeed impede viewing. The discolored areas are constantly visible and very distracting. But the 6650 has educated me about a few things. For example, while watching a baseball spring-training game I learned that the sky above Tampa, Florida, is pink and that the N.Y. Yankees wear uniforms that are pink with blue pinstripes.

Obviously, even if the 6650's black levels were state of the art I would not keep the unit.

If the Samsung 60F5300 has a screen discoloration problem, or any other serious issues, it will be be returned to the dealer as well. Our Panasonic 50U50 then will be reinstalled and take up permanent residence.
StinDaWg likes this.
post #1373 of 1765 Old 03-04-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
The pink areas are large and do indeed impede viewing. The discolored areas are constantly visible and very distracting. But the 6650 has educated me about a few things. For example, while watching a baseball spring-training game I learned that the sky above Tampa, Florida, is pink and that the N.Y. Yankees wear uniforms that are pink with blue pinstripes.

Obviously, even if the 6650's black levels were state of the art I would not keep the unit.

If the Samsung 60F5300 has a screen discoloration problem, or any other serious issues, it will be be returned to the dealer as well. Our Panasonic 50U50 then will be reinstalled and take up permanent residence.

That sounds like more of an issue with your particular set.
post #1374 of 1765 Old 03-04-2015, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
That sounds like more of an issue with your particular set.
A few others have reported on this too. I've seen Sammy plasmas with similar problems with green bands. With the Sammy's I understood that it was 60Hz noise problems in the Power Supply (bad filtering capacitors), wouldn't be surprised if there was a similar problem here. Bottom line: defective set, mfg should repair or replace.

Dave Hancock
post #1375 of 1765 Old 03-04-2015, 05:10 PM

I forgot to mention the pink today. Do I call back to have it noted on this repair request, or just mention it to the tech and hope the new power board (if that's my problem above) takes care of it?
post #1376 of 1765 Old 03-04-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippem View Post
I forgot to mention the pink today. Do I call back to have it noted on this repair request, or just mention it to the tech and hope the new power board (if that's my problem above) takes care of it?

Mention it to the tech.
post #1377 of 1765 Old 03-05-2015, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
6650 WIFI Issues

So I finally got around to troubleshooting the weak WIFI issue. You can use the setting in VUDU or Cinemanow to check your download speed. My Netgear AC router also broadcast a second channel in the 5Ghz range. I connected to that one instead of the normal one even though the normal one shows a stronger signal. After that, no more problem with WIFI speeds. VUDU test showed a solid 9Mbps and Cinemanow was showing up to 14 Mbps. My download speed max out at 16 Mbps.

Last edited by aquaholik; 03-05-2015 at 01:39 PM.
post #1378 of 1765 Old 03-05-2015, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I have no problems with color or pink issues on my 60F5300. I watched a number of winter sports shows this past wknd and the snow looked perfectly white and amazing.

S5 tap'n
post #1379 of 1765 Old 03-05-2015, 02:10 PM

main and power board ordered. spoke to tech on phone he'll replace both when he comes
meta22ica240 likes this.
post #1380 of 1765 Old 03-07-2015, 05:01 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I bought the PB6600 a little over a couple of months ago and so far I'm pretty happy with the set EXCEPT for the pink spot issue. Is there anyway to fix it?

I've already received and returned two sets because of this issue and the third one I'm on is the least offensive. On my first set that I got, there was a fairly large pink area right in the middle of the screen and also smaller vertical pink lines near both sides of the TV. On the second set I got, there was only a slight pink area in the middle, but a noticable vertical pink strip along the right side of the screen that was pretty annoying.

On my current 3rd set, its so far the best out of the three in that I still see pink areas in the middle and sides but overall they are the lightest and least noticable. If I'm watching something like a hockey game you can notice the pink areas on the ice if you look for it abit, but its the most faint out of the three sets and isn't overly annoying as it was on the previous two sets I had.

Another issue that I found recently is that I tried plugging in my blu-ray to see how movies would look on this TV and it looked like crap. Seems like I have to re-enter the settings for each input instead of the settings applying to all my inputs like it did with my old LG plasma.

Also a question I have is is there much you can do with the Smart functions of this TV? I tried it out briefly and it seems pretty limited and basic and overall not very useful if you're not using any of their premium services. :/

So I'm wondering is there anyway to get rid of the pink on my screen as I really don't want to exchange this TV for yet another one assuming I could do it again. Just a pain in the butt to do so and there's no guarantee that it will be any better than the screen of my 3rd set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
pb6600

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page