Any more info on LG PB6600 (or other 2014 model) plasma? - Page 49 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 179Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1441 of 1765 Old 04-22-2015, 05:23 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Will LG sure see that TV has been opened I think is there some sort of sticker which will be broken after you will open backside of TV? When I open TV very gently without scratches on screws, and turn change POT positions it is still very easy to be found in case TV will be broken in warranty period? I have only 2 years waranty no extended one payed for 5 years like is possible in our country.

Tks for info
MK
MK1980 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1442 of 1765 Old 04-24-2015, 06:46 AM
Member
 
herrfish1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Richmond County, NC
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So excited to have found this thread! I have an LG 60PB6650 plasma coming from Dell on Tuesday. It will be replacing an LG 50 inch plasma which has just started to have a fan or power supply issue. Other than that, it has been a great TV for 7 or 8 years. Any issues with the new model which I should be on the lookout for? Thanks for all the help from everyone on this thread!
herrfish1 is offline  
post #1443 of 1765 Old 04-25-2015, 04:06 PM
Member
 
Myron_H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrfish1 View Post
So excited to have found this thread! I have an LG 60PB6650 plasma coming from Dell on Tuesday. It will be replacing an LG 50 inch plasma which has just started to have a fan or power supply issue. Other than that, it has been a great TV for 7 or 8 years. Any issues with the new model which I should be on the lookout for? Thanks for all the help from everyone on this thread!
One is is the infrared remote sensor on these TV are not very sensitive. Have to point remote directly at the sensor and from some distance away. I don't understand why infrared sensors such so bad on modern TV's. My parents still have an old CRT where you can point the remote to the opposite wall and it still picks up signal.
Myron_H is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1444 of 1765 Old 04-25-2015, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
davehancock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hamburg, NY (near Buffalo)
Posts: 5,574
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron_H View Post
One is is the infrared remote sensor on these TV are not very sensitive. Have to point remote directly at the sensor and from some distance away. I don't understand why infrared sensors such so bad on modern TV's. My parents still have an old CRT where you can point the remote to the opposite wall and it still picks up signal.
No problem with this on my PN6900, or any of the 2 other LG sets in my house. I wonder if there is a defect with your set. The other issue could be room light flooding the IR sensor on your TV.

Dave Hancock
davehancock is offline  
post #1445 of 1765 Old 04-26-2015, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gregoryperkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,550
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 254
My Vizio remote frequently turns on the LG even when it's not pointed at the tv. It's more difficult to turn on the Vizio from 3 feet away!
gregoryperkins is online now  
post #1446 of 1765 Old 04-26-2015, 07:57 AM
Member
 
Myron_H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Here is a tweak for these tv's to get a little more brighter contrast out of them. Go into Picture->Picture Mode->Expert1->Expert Control. Scroll down to Color Temperature->Points and put it on "High". Then increase the Red/Green/Blue color points to the max of 50. Then apply to all inputs. This is the only way I've been able to increase the overall brightness of this TV similar to my Samsung plasma. Otherwise if color points are at 0, it is too dim for my eyes. Once you make the tweak, then you will need to calibrate tv from there again. Only downside, is that since you use the color points set to max, you cant use them then to adjust red/green/blue levels if doing ISF calibration.
MK1980 likes this.
Myron_H is offline  
post #1447 of 1765 Old 04-28-2015, 04:52 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron_H View Post
Here is a tweak for these tv's to get a little more brighter contrast out of them. Go into Picture->Picture Mode->Expert1->Expert Control. Scroll down to Color Temperature->Points and put it on "High". Then increase the Red/Green/Blue color points to the max of 50. Then apply to all inputs. This is the only way I've been able to increase the overall brightness of this TV similar to my Samsung plasma. Otherwise if color points are at 0, it is too dim for my eyes. Once you make the tweak, then you will need to calibrate tv from there again. Only downside, is that since you use the color points set to max, you cant use them then to adjust red/green/blue levels if doing ISF calibration.
After calibration I have High points set to 0, 10, 0 . So I kept this difference and increased to 40,50,40 which remains to my eye very similar colour balance but much brighter image, it is good for very very dark movies, most sources don`t need this and also good for bright room viewing. Question to Dave, by increasing High colour points to same difference between colour, increasing points to 40 - 50 -40 instead of 0- 10 - 0 is giving without additional readjusting by ISF calibration is giving my set more off the spec ? colours look brighter as image does too, but it is overally very similar colour balance to 0 - 10 - 0 ISF setting .
I am curios what is roughly expected estimated ftl if previous ftl has been 35,2 ftl what should be with this increase etc. ? I estimate close to 50 or much over 40 ftl.
Generally I prefer white balance ISF calibrated value which was set upped by my ISF calibrator, it is itself giving punch and clarity to picture, there is no bigger improvement like ISF calibration.

Tks

Milan

Last edited by MK1980; 04-28-2015 at 04:55 AM.
MK1980 is offline  
post #1448 of 1765 Old 04-28-2015, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
davehancock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hamburg, NY (near Buffalo)
Posts: 5,574
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK1980 View Post
Question to Dave, by increasing High colour points to same difference between colour, increasing points to 40 - 50 -40 instead of 0- 10 - 0 is giving without additional readjusting by ISF calibration is giving my set more off the spec ? colours look brighter as image does too, but it is overally very similar colour balance to 0 - 10 - 0 ISF setting .
I am curios what is roughly expected estimated ftl if previous ftl has been 35,2 ftl what should be with this increase etc. ? I estimate close to 50 or much over 40 ftl.
Generally I prefer white balance ISF calibrated value which was set upped by my ISF calibrator, it is itself giving punch and clarity to picture, there is no bigger improvement like ISF calibration.

Tks

Milan
First, I WOULD NOT EXPECT the color balance for gray-scale to be retained after applying an offset to all three High settings. I would expect that changes would also need to be made at the low end as well. Also, it wouldn't surprise me if the CMS would become messed up as well. If one is concerned about accuracy, proper instrumentation (colorimeter or spectral analyzer) is needed when making these adjustments.

Regarding expected "improvement" in peak brightness: I don't have an idea of what "improvement" in ft-l to expect. But we need to understand that the real brightness limiting factor here is the power supply of the set. There is only so much power available. If you make adjustments, such as these, to increase peak white, you will also cause limiting (often erroneously referred to as "ABL effect") to start to occur at lower average brightness levels.
MK1980 likes this.

Dave Hancock
davehancock is offline  
post #1449 of 1765 Old 04-30-2015, 04:09 PM
Member
 
herrfish1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Richmond County, NC
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
60PB6650 questions

Got my LG 60PB6650 from Dell delivered yesterday! Set it up using the settings from others in this thread along with running the Picture Wizard. So far I am pretty pleased. I just have a couple of questions for those you that are more tech savy than myself.
1. Should the panel light always be set to 100? 2. Should the color gamut be set to standard or wide and what is the difference between these two? Thanks for your help!
herrfish1 is offline  
post #1450 of 1765 Old 04-30-2015, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
davehancock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hamburg, NY (near Buffalo)
Posts: 5,574
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrfish1 View Post
1. Should the panel light always be set to 100? 2. Should the color gamut be set to standard or wide and what is the difference between these two? Thanks for your help!
  1. In all the LG Plasmas that I have seen Pnl Light at 100 seems fine.
  2. Standard - Wide will result in unnatural colors. Basically, the Wide gamut maps the colors to the extremes of the display capabilities, while the Standard gamut maps the colors to the standards used in today's HD standards. If you want it to be accurate, use Standard.

Dave Hancock
davehancock is offline  
post #1451 of 1765 Old 05-02-2015, 05:09 PM
Member
 
herrfish1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Richmond County, NC
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post
  1. In all the LG Plasmas that I have seen Pnl Light at 100 seems fine.
  2. Standard - Wide will result in unnatural colors. Basically, the Wide gamut maps the colors to the extremes of the display capabilities, while the Standard gamut maps the colors to the standards used in today's HD standards. If you want it to be accurate, use Standard.
Thanks Dave! One more question friends...how often and for how long should I run the Color Wash?
herrfish1 is offline  
post #1452 of 1765 Old 05-03-2015, 06:45 PM
Member
 
Myron_H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Why do you need to run color wash? You have burn in? Just use the TV as normal.
Myron_H is offline  
post #1453 of 1765 Old 05-04-2015, 03:18 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post
First, I WOULD NOT EXPECT the color balance for gray-scale to be retained after applying an offset to all three High settings. I would expect that changes would also need to be made at the low end as well. Also, it wouldn't surprise me if the CMS would become messed up as well. If one is concerned about accuracy, proper instrumentation (colorimeter or spectral analyzer) is needed when making these adjustments.

Regarding expected "improvement" in peak brightness: I don't have an idea of what "improvement" in ft-l to expect. But we need to understand that the real brightness limiting factor here is the power supply of the set. There is only so much power available. If you make adjustments, such as these, to increase peak white, you will also cause limiting (often erroneously referred to as "ABL effect") to start to occur at lower average brightness levels.
Thanks for your helpfull explanation I haven`t complain to limiting when this was adjusted, but without additional ISF calibration are very high peak whites not best idea in my case
MK1980 is offline  
post #1454 of 1765 Old 05-04-2015, 04:53 PM
Member
 
herrfish1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Richmond County, NC
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron_H View Post
Why do you need to run color wash? You have burn in? Just use the TV as normal.
No problems yet, but IR sometimes happens on plasmas, doesn't it? Just wondering how long I should run the color wash if needed. By the way, Myron, I haven't noticed any issue with the IR sensor or remote on this tv--seems to work fine at my distance of about 10-12 feet away.
herrfish1 is offline  
post #1455 of 1765 Old 05-04-2015, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
davehancock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hamburg, NY (near Buffalo)
Posts: 5,574
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrfish1 View Post
No problems yet, but IR sometimes happens on plasmas, doesn't it?
This is not much of a problem anymore.

Dave Hancock
davehancock is offline  
post #1456 of 1765 Old 05-04-2015, 10:27 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Heads up this set is on sale at Dell for $700 with $125 Dell eGift card. Link to Slickdeals http://slickdeals.net/share/android_app/fp/152651
Bait-fish is offline  
post #1457 of 1765 Old 05-05-2015, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gregoryperkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,550
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 254
That's for the 60PB6650. Hard to believe they're still kicking around the channel.
blazin65 likes this.
gregoryperkins is online now  
post #1458 of 1765 Old 05-05-2015, 07:09 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Oh, yeah. Didn't take the time to verify late last night.
Bait-fish is offline  
post #1459 of 1765 Old 05-05-2015, 12:58 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
That's for the 60PB6650. Hard to believe they're still kicking around the channel.
Is there a difference between the 6600 and the 6650 in quality? I noticed the $700 deal on Dell and I am wondering if that is a good deal? I feel like $700 is pretty good for a 60" plasma with a $125 gift card.
blazin65 is offline  
post #1460 of 1765 Old 05-05-2015, 01:03 PM
Senior Member
 
dmtaub's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazin65 View Post
Is there a difference between the 6600 and the 6650 in quality? I noticed the $700 deal on Dell and I am wondering if that is a good deal? I feel like $700 is pretty good for a 60" plasma with a $125 gift card.
They are exactly the same except the 6650 has built in wifi. The 6600 needs a wifi adapter which is free from LG. Otherwise, they are identical.
dmtaub is offline  
post #1461 of 1765 Old 05-05-2015, 01:10 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmtaub View Post
They are exactly the same except the 6650 has built in wifi. The 6600 needs a wifi adapter which is free from LG. Otherwise, they are identical.
Thank you. And for $700 with a $125 gift card, it seems like a steal to me. But I dont really have much TV knowledge or experience so I'm just guessing. Anyone have thoughts on the how good of deal this is? I want to get a plasma before they are gone.
blazin65 is offline  
post #1462 of 1765 Old 05-05-2015, 01:16 PM
Senior Member
 
dmtaub's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazin65 View Post
Thank you. And for $700 with a $125 gift card, it seems like a steal to me. But I dont really have much TV knowledge or experience so I'm just guessing. Anyone have thoughts on the how good of deal this is? I want to get a plasma before they are gone.
It is not the cheapest I have seen the tv for on it's own (I bought the 6600 about a year ago for $688), but with the $125 gift card and potential rewards dollars if get a Dell CC, it seems like a pretty good deal for a 60" tv in general.
dmtaub is offline  
post #1463 of 1765 Old 05-05-2015, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gregoryperkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,550
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 254
I have the 6900 which I got for $750, so its not bad. I can't comment on the panel, but probably the same as the 6900 without 3d.
gregoryperkins is online now  
post #1464 of 1765 Old 05-06-2015, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
fbov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bushnell's Basin, NY
Posts: 1,537
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 157
At this point, shopping for lowest price is a good way to miss out! A year ago, even 6 months ago, you could shop for deals. Now, you're shopping for inventory!
Frank
MK1980 and Bait-fish like this.
fbov is offline  
post #1465 of 1765 Old 05-07-2015, 04:16 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbov View Post
At this point, shopping for lowest price is a good way to miss out! A year ago, even 6 months ago, you could shop for deals. Now, you're shopping for inventory!
Frank
cannot agree more, if you cannot imagine LED TV as satisfaction for you and cannot afford smaller 55" LG OLED for around 2000USD up , go for this viewing angles , picture depth, motion resolution is on plasma unmatched, this one don`t have deepest blacks enough deep but you can use LED bias light sticked on backside TV to improve, no dealbreaker . I say go for it
MK1980 is offline  
post #1466 of 1765 Old 05-07-2015, 05:29 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can somebody please measure & post measurements of black levels on 24p mode, 50hz and 60hz ? I am curious for these numbers. For instance 24p or 50hz is giving on my set very visible lighter shade of black and lower contrast ratio compared to 60hz, as I have read it is normal for LG plasma and other Samsung and Panasonic too. Mostly I have seen Samsung and LG with nearly double risen black level when changed from 60hz to 50hz(in our country most SD channels are 50hz but HD ones are 60hz nice ) . Mine set was calibrated on 50hz mode with 0,026ftl or 0,089 cd/m2 black level measured and I think on 60hz it should be certainly better as I can clearly see on image and blacks when I am switching to 60hz.

Tks a lot

MIlan
MK1980 is offline  
post #1467 of 1765 Old 05-07-2015, 12:21 PM
Member
 
Myron_H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK1980 View Post
Can somebody please measure & post measurements of black levels on 24p mode, 50hz and 60hz ? I am curious for these numbers. For instance 24p or 50hz is giving on my set very visible lighter shade of black and lower contrast ratio compared to 60hz, as I have read it is normal for LG plasma and other Samsung and Panasonic too. Mostly I have seen Samsung and LG with nearly double risen black level when changed from 60hz to 50hz(in our country most SD channels are 50hz but HD ones are 60hz nice ) . Mine set was calibrated on 50hz mode with 0,026ftl or 0,089 cd/m2 black level measured and I think on 60hz it should be certainly better as I can clearly see on image and blacks when I am switching to 60hz.

Tks a lot

MIlan
I'm not sure what you mean. If you are in USA, TV broadcasts are 60Hz. There is no changing your TV to 50Hz.
Myron_H is offline  
post #1468 of 1765 Old 05-07-2015, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gregoryperkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,550
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK1980 View Post
Can somebody please measure & post measurements of black levels on 24p mode, 50hz and 60hz ? I am curious for these numbers. For instance 24p or 50hz is giving on my set very visible lighter shade of black and lower contrast ratio compared to 60hz, as I have read it is normal for LG plasma and other Samsung and Panasonic too. Mostly I have seen Samsung and LG with nearly double risen black level when changed from 60hz to 50hz(in our country most SD channels are 50hz but HD ones are 60hz nice ) . Mine set was calibrated on 50hz mode with 0,026ftl or 0,089 cd/m2 black level measured and I think on 60hz it should be certainly better as I can clearly see on image and blacks when I am switching to 60hz.

Tks a lot

MIlan
And a model # too.
gregoryperkins is online now  
post #1469 of 1765 Old 05-07-2015, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
davehancock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hamburg, NY (near Buffalo)
Posts: 5,574
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron_H View Post
I'm not sure what you mean. If you are in USA, TV broadcasts are 60Hz. There is no changing your TV to 50Hz.
He is in Europe. This is one example of why EVERYONE should include THEIR LOCATION in their PROFILE!! (You to Myron_H)

Dave Hancock
davehancock is offline  
post #1470 of 1765 Old 05-07-2015, 01:29 PM
Member
 
blademeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
So I’ve been creeping back onto these forums as I’ve been wondering about the new LG OLEDs. I ventured over to the plasma section and I see this thread is still going strong. It’s been about 12 months since I first bought a 60PB6600. I am happy to write that I am still satisfied with this TV. No real issues to report. After weeks of adjustments and finally settling on settings, plus some audio tweaking, I have been just enjoying the set on a daily basis really. I did some obsessive gaming for a few weeks and had some troublesome IR from the HUD, but it all eventually faded out completely. The black levels, contrast, colors, all still appear good to me. Not a perfect set, but for the size, price and tiding me over until OLED tech is fully baked (also reasonably priced), this TV has been a good investment.
Bait-fish likes this.
blademeister is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
pb6600

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off