Any more info on LG PB6600 (or other 2014 model) plasma? - Page 50 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 179Likes

post #1471 of 1765 Old 05-07-2015, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by blademeister View Post
So I’ve been creeping back onto these forums as I’ve been wondering about the new LG OLEDs. I ventured over to the plasma section and I see this thread is still going strong. It’s been about 12 months since I first bought a 60PB6600. I am happy to write that I am still satisfied with this TV. No real issues to report. After weeks of adjustments and finally settling on settings, plus some audio tweaking, I have been just enjoying the set on a daily basis really. I did some obsessive gaming for a few weeks and had some troublesome IR from the HUD, but it all eventually faded out completely. The black levels, contrast, colors, all still appear good to me. Not a perfect set, but for the size, price and tiding me over until OLED tech is fully baked (also reasonably priced), this TV has been a good investment.
I have only owned the 60PB6650 for a little over a week, but I totally agree with this post. I am very happy with it for the price I paid. So for those of you wanting one of the few remaining plasmas while getting great bang for your buck, get one of these now before they are all gone! I got mine from Dell with free shipping.
MK1980 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1472 of 1765 Old 05-08-2015, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbov View Post
At this point, shopping for lowest price is a good way to miss out! A year ago, even 6 months ago, you could shop for deals. Now, you're shopping for inventory!
Frank
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK1980 View Post
cannot agree more, if you cannot imagine LED TV as satisfaction for you and cannot afford smaller 55" LG OLED for around 2000USD up , go for this viewing angles , picture depth, motion resolution is on plasma unmatched, this one don`t have deepest blacks enough deep but you can use LED bias light sticked on backside TV to improve, no dealbreaker . I say go for it
I pulled the trigger. Thanks for everyones input. I am not someone who knows hardly anything about TV's other than bigger is better, lol. I really appreciate the replies, and I will report back once my new 6650 is received and set up. I'm sure I'll be looking for more help in setting the picture settings and such.
Bruce2019, MK1980 and Bait-fish like this.
post #1473 of 1765 Old 05-10-2015, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron_H View Post
If LG won't pop the back off and make the adjustments then it's there loss. Last TV with the name LG that I will buy. I've already contacted a local TV repair shop that can also make the adjustments if needed. They may be best since the owner has an electronics degree and all the equipment.
have you any news regarding this please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1474 of 1765 Old 05-11-2015, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
have you any news regarding this please?
Yes, with some hesitation, the tech did agree to open up back and adjust pots. It is now much better, and comparable to my Samsung plasma.
MK1980 and Bait-fish like this.
post #1475 of 1765 Old 05-11-2015, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrfish1 View Post
I have only owned the 60PB6650 for a little over a week, but I totally agree with this post. I am very happy with it for the price I paid. So for those of you wanting one of the few remaining plasmas while getting great bang for your buck, get one of these now before they are all gone! I got mine from Dell with free shipping.
Let's assume the 6650 costs $750 or thereabouts and the 5600 costs $400.....is the PQ and extra HDMI inputs worth almost double ?
post #1476 of 1765 Old 05-11-2015, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Seriously considering getting the 6650 or the 5600 as my 50" 720p Philips from 2007 just died this weekend.....figure any flaws are still improvements over technology from over 7 years ago, right ?

Any comments on these vis a vis the Samsung 8500/5300/5000 or other plasmas greatly appreciated. As I am out of work right now, not splurging for top-of-the-line technology is less important than just getting a bigger TV with equal or better PQ/technology than what I had the last few years.
post #1477 of 1765 Old 05-12-2015, 04:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Well the Samsungs have been gone for a while unless you are looking used. If you want Plasma, the LG is really your only choice. I have the 6900 and that hasn't been for sale since last year. Get it while you can.
MK1980 likes this.
post #1478 of 1765 Old 05-12-2015, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Yes!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
Get it while you can.
MK1980 likes this.

Dave Hancock
post #1479 of 1765 Old 05-12-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
Let's assume the 6650 costs $750 or thereabouts and the 5600 costs $400.....is the PQ and extra HDMI inputs worth almost double ?
I believe another difference is that the 6650 is a smart TV with built in wifi, whereas the 5600 is not. I'd guess the value of that feature varies from person to person.
post #1480 of 1765 Old 05-12-2015, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
The 6650 also has the Picture Wizard III and a couple other adjustments (10pt vs 2pt) than the 5600, so that is a factor as well.
post #1481 of 1765 Old 05-12-2015, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmtaub View Post
The 6650 also has the Picture Wizard III and a couple other adjustments (10pt vs 2pt) than the 5600, so that is a factor as well.
My 5600 has 20pt and 2pt adjustments if you are talking about the color temp. method in the expert control menu. Not having the Picture Wizard I used the Disney WOW blue ray disc to set up my set. I also own a 3 yr. old 720 LG plasma that has the Picture Wizard and it works pretty good for setting up the set. I think the Disney disc does a better job though.
Bottom line as mentioned earlier buy a set NOW or you'll be outta luck.
post #1482 of 1765 Old 05-13-2015, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron_H View Post
Yes, with some hesitation, the tech did agree to open up back and adjust pots. It is now much better, and comparable to my Samsung plasma.

Great for you ! I am happy to hear . Approximatelly 2times darker blacks you have or even bigger difference ?

I have called to authorized shop and they don`t like to do that , I am considering to force them through customer service LG but if technician as Dave said is not willing to do it plus don`t have experience with it , this cannot be done. He said he would prefer improving of black level through service menu but not all TVs are supporting it I think last time for pink tint issue he has been checking this in service menu and nothing has been found. General question for these 2014 models I think only POT tuning is option to improve black level right? However I feel in Slovakia / Central Europe you cannot win , I would be only 1 customer requesting this here so .... I am not suprised they are not open minded to turn POTs for me, technician said for panel longertivity it is adjusted like it is, and otherwise guarantee is not possible, after guarantee period which will be over in 16months for me I can consider to risk and do it with payed tech. assistance . Forcing them for action through LG is wasting of my energy in our conditions I think .

Last edited by MK1980; 05-13-2015 at 09:27 AM.
post #1483 of 1765 Old 05-13-2015, 04:39 AM

Quote:
well if you will buy Disney Wow disc for picture calibration and you won`t miss from 6650 extra HDMIs and Wifi integrated in TV and Smart TV functions, then 5600 is same panel. For me on 5600 is only 1HDMI , no picture wizard and missing integrated wifi downside, otherwise you can buy cheap hdmi hub and use Disney wow disc for calibration + cheap LG wifi dongle, and you will be still saving many money, you cannot go wrong with both, just get it ! I think almost double is not adequate for extra features, I personally hate Smart TV functions from day 1 of their integration into TVs . always there is better external equimpment doing it better like on TV itself
jazzycat likes this.

Last edited by MK1980; 05-13-2015 at 04:42 AM.
post #1484 of 1765 Old 05-13-2015, 03:17 PM

Liked: 4
I am 1 day before buying the set. I need your help in the buzzing thing. Does the set buzzes? My distance is 2,5 meters and the room is not big. I owned an other set of 60plasma and I returned it because of the noise.! Anyone annoyed from the same thing?
post #1485 of 1765 Old 05-13-2015, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
I paid $850 for a 6690 and subsequently $450 for a 5600. I wanted a smart TV and was intriqued by 3D (not any more), so the 5600 wouldn't have been my first choice. Wifi is nice in the 6900, but I hardwired the network connection after the first wifi session as the modem was only 10' away. Smart TV is nice, too, but I have since purchased a BR player with nearly identical capability. That leaves connectivity, which depends on the user, and HDMI switches are cheap.

What I really miss in the 5600 is the set-up wizard... test disk set-up isnt' hard, but it's still a huge effort compared with the wizard, so I ran the wizard almost weekly at first. You can really see the panel break-in; color settings shifted at first, then came back close to nominal. The 6900 has now been calibrated, so the wizard's days are over, but the set should hold calibration....

HAve fun,
Frank
post #1486 of 1765 Old 05-13-2015, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pankal6 View Post
I am 1 day before buying the set. I need your help in the buzzing thing. Does the set buzzes? My distance is 2,5 meters and the room is not big. I owned an other set of 60plasma and I returned it because of the noise.! Anyone annoyed from the same thing?
I don't have exactly the same set, what I have is a 50PB660V and I hear no buzzing at all unless I come very close (about half a foot) to check how much sound it makes while the room is completely silent.
Bait-fish likes this.
post #1487 of 1765 Old 05-13-2015, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECantona View Post
I don't have exactly the same set, what I have is a 50PB660V and I hear no buzzing at all unless I come very close (about half a foot) to check how much sound it makes while the room is completely silent.
Thanks for the reply! but I need a feedback for the 60 inc pb5600. I have sets of 50" and neither I hear anything. The problem is with the king size plasmas. Is there any buzzing ?
post #1488 of 1765 Old 05-14-2015, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! but I need a feedback for the 60 inc pb5600. I have sets of 50" and neither I hear anything. The problem is with the king size plasmas. Is there any buzzing ?
no buzzing on my 60" and no claims for this from all users, feel free to buy it Wish you luck!
Bait-fish and pankal6 like this.
post #1489 of 1765 Old 05-14-2015, 04:39 AM

Quote:
no buzzing on my 60" and no claims for this from all users, feel free to buy it Wish you luck!
I am on the way to the store! I hope I will confirm the same in a few days. Thanks for the reply
MK1980 likes this.
post #1490 of 1765 Old 05-14-2015, 05:32 AM

Quote:
I just got mine in yesterday and its silent from the get go. I do not know if that will change over time, however. I do have a 50" plasma that I've had for over 6 years now and it doesn't make much noise at all still. Its just a low end Insignia, but that thing is a tank. Picture is still really good and it was a bestbuy floor model even too. I was expecting that thing to crap out after a few years, but it just keeps chugging along nicely.
pankal6 likes this.
post #1491 of 1765 Old 05-14-2015, 05:56 AM

Well the moment has come. When I came home from work last night, I was greeted by a surprisingly large (and heavy) box with my new 60pb6650 safely inside. Ordered from Dell.com, and they used Pilot to ship. No problems. I somehow managed to maneuver the beast downstairs and started the unboxing.

The panel is really nice looking upon first inspection. I'd say it is more impressive than when I opened up my 60" Sharp LED that I purchased last year. Probably the reflective screen plays into that.

Called a friend over to help me get this thing on the wall. Definitely a two man job. You can see in this picture below that the screen is definitely reflected in lighted rooms. As I've said, I have another plasma so I know about this, and why I put this one in my lower level, while the LED is on the first floor that has alot of windows. I can tell you from my experience with this plasma, and my older ones, that it does not end up being an issue while the TV is on, but others may disagree.

Next I hooked up the xbox and let the fun begin. I have been watching/playing on a 60" Sharp LED for the past year, so that is what my eyes are used to. Honestly, I was kind of blown away with the picture when I fired up this LG. I really did not realize the difference in PQ between the LED and the Plasmas. I really like my LED. Its bright and crisp and really high def. But as I've read others posts, there is just something about plasmas man. The colors are definitely more rich and deep, and the black level are obviously way better. I am really happy so far with the PQ on this set. Heres some screen shots, and like I said, the iphone camera really doesn't even do it justice:

Xbox loading screen (iPhone camera makes the color look weird in the pic, but it was beautiful in person):

Screenshots:

And ofcourse, the legend himself (had to throw in the Star Wars blue ray ASAP ):

I'm a pretty big gamer with my free time, and I've been playing a lot of Destiny lately. I probably have over 400 hours into since October. Input lag was probably my biggest concern with buying a plasma. One of the first things I did with the TV was play Destiny for about 2 hours last night, and I can say I noticed absolutely ZERO input lag while playing, and with the amount I've been playing lately I expected I would be able to at least tell a little difference between my LED, but honestly I didn't notice any. And Destiny is a very fast moving FPS game. I dont think Input Lag is a problem at all.

Now, after all that praise, which is all very deserved, I did have one hiccup with my install. I cannot get the TV to connect to my wi-fi. I know its not the wi-fi, because I brought my xbox downstairs and hooked it up to the TV and it connected to the wi-fi immediately. It was always hard wired into my gateway previously, so at first I thought maybe it was the wireless gateway's problem, but no, the xbox connected right away. I'm going to go home today and call Comcast and see if they can help me, but I may be back on here looking for advice in that regard. I do not understand the problem.

All in all, I am extremely happy with the purchase. It's a steal at $600, honestly. Get one before they are gone, you will not be upset.
MK1980 and Bait-fish like this.
post #1492 of 1765 Old 05-14-2015, 08:49 AM

I will receive Monday and i will elaborate on the buzzing thing. Fingers crossed everyone is right and I am not the "crazy" one... From my experience in 50 inc plasmas I never had issues. The 60 Samsung experience made me feel creepy about the buzzing thing. Does anyone has a video to suggest for the first hours of the set?
MK1980 likes this.
post #1493 of 1765 Old 05-14-2015, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 157
No buzzing issues with either of mine, but I've gotta ask Blazin' where he put his speakers? Don't tell me you're gaming on TV speakers...

Frank, whose 5600 is still using its speakers.
post #1494 of 1765 Old 05-14-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbov View Post
No buzzing issues with either of mine, but I've gotta ask Blazin' where he put his speakers? Don't tell me you're gaming on TV speakers...

Frank, whose 5600 is still using its speakers.
Ha, I wouldn't dream of it. Actually I mostly turn the sounds off and just listen though my headphones when gaming. My surround sound is still on my LED upstairs, but I will be ordering a soundbar to put below the TV with the $150 in gift cards from Dell.com that came with the TV purchase. once I receive them.

To be honest, the TV speakers were actually better than I was expecting. Nothing special, but I'd say they are better than on my Sharp TV upstairs.
post #1495 of 1765 Old 05-14-2015, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hi Frank.. could you post your calibration settings for pb6900?
I just got one.. love it after slightly tweaking the settings.. and wanna try other settings and see how it looks..
post #1496 of 1765 Old 05-14-2015, 11:57 PM

Quote:
I will receive Monday and i will elaborate on the buzzing thing. Fingers crossed everyone is right and I am not the "crazy" one... From my experience in 50 inc plasmas I never had issues. The 60 Samsung experience made me feel creepy about the buzzing thing. Does anyone has a video to suggest for the first hours of the set?
impossible that it will buzz Samsungs are whole different story I really appreciate silence and wonderfull pictures in 1 package which makes watching pleasant . I`ve had 64" Samsung F8500 used one for 1day try, super buzzing (damaged burn in set returned) , you can be excited about other things on this set when it will arrive
pankal6 likes this.
post #1497 of 1765 Old 05-15-2015, 03:10 AM

Quote:
impossible that it will buzz Samsungs are whole different story I really appreciate silence and wonderfull pictures in 1 package which makes watching pleasant . I`ve had 64" Samsung F8500 used one for 1day try, super buzzing (damaged burn in set returned) , you can be excited about other things on this set when it will arrive
I am sure everyone here is right about buzzing. ! I couldn't imagine such difference between samsmung and lg. I will squeeze life out of it!
post #1498 of 1765 Old 05-15-2015, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I've had my 5600 since last Nov. No buzzing at all, quiet as a mouse even if you stand right beside it.
post #1499 of 1765 Old 05-15-2015, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 5
6650. No buzzing whatsoever and since switching inputs to pc very acceptable blacks. A steal I think.
post #1500 of 1765 Old 05-15-2015, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Bzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Buzzing is a defect that happens every so often. If it does buzz, then return it (it is a legitimate reject).

Dave Hancock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
pb6600

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page