Any more info on LG PB6600 (or other 2014 model) plasma? - Page 51 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 179Likes

post #1501 of 1765 Old 05-16-2015, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Recently on this thread people have again mentioned that they have turned pots for deeper blacks. Earlier in this thread it seemed like most people were on the fence about doing it and that with this model it may not even make much difference.

Do you recommend doing it? Does it make that much difference?

If I know it'll make a half decent different in my blacks I'd definitely consider it.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 1765 Old 05-16-2015, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by seikon View Post
Recently on this thread people have again mentioned that they have turned pots for deeper blacks. Earlier in this thread it seemed like most people were on the fence about doing it and that with this model it may not even make much difference.

Do you recommend doing it? Does it make that much difference?

If I know it'll make a half decent different in my blacks I'd definitely consider it.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
IF you do this, I would suggest that you get a couple of hundred hours on the set first. The black level changes a bit as the set initially stabilizes. I measured the black level (with digital 16 input) on my 6900 when it was new and couldn't measure any light at all! After a couple of hundred hours of use, the black level had risen to 0.033 ft-l. That level was still low enough that I wasn't interested in this adjustment.

Dave Hancock
post #1503 of 1765 Old 05-16-2015, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I have a question for you guys. I've mostly been hanging out over on the p50s60 thread because I found a used panny with low hours (117) for $400, but in case that deal falls through for some reason I've found a new 50" LG 6650 for $700. Which one do you think is the best option for the price? (I know the price for the lg is higher than it was a few months ago. There is also Pioneer Kuro for $475, but I'd have to drive 3 hours two ways to get it, and it's 6 or 7 years old. But it would be sweet to have one of those. Too bad they quit making them.)

What are the pros/cons for the lg? One thing I've become painfully aware of with the pannys is some of them develop a power issue and have to have boards replaced, but for $400 it's kind of hard to think about that, with only 117 hours it's basically a brand new tv. Do LGs develop any problems like this?

What would you say would be the pros/cons of the the LG 6650 vs the panny s50? They both have 50" screens, so that being equal, are there ways in which either outperforms the other? One big way the lg wins is it would be under warranty. But I'm not familiar with plasmas, and I'm curious about this. I'm tempted to buy both of them, even though I only need one tv. (It would even better if the lg had a bigger screen. I was looking for a samsung 5000 for the screen size, but I can only find used ones on amazon. Still, for $1000....) Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1504 of 1765 Old 05-16-2015, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK1980 View Post
no buzzing on my 60" and no claims for this from all users, feel free to buy it Wish you luck!
I'm seeing some pretty serious line bleed on my 6650, not sure if it was there before. Are you, or anyone else noticing this on your sets?
post #1505 of 1765 Old 05-17-2015, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonkennedy View Post
I'm seeing some pretty serious line bleed on my 6650, not sure if it was there before. Are you, or anyone else noticing this on your sets?
I have seen line bleed when I list in menus of Blu Ray plazer or on my Vu Duo machine , but it is not any issue as I cannot see it doring TV shows or movies watching All plasmas with power limiting have it more or less appearing, I have checked on youtube, it is pretty common charakteristic of many and as well new plasma models produced in latest years

By the way have somebody watched movies like COBLER , or FOCUS? great picture quality on my calibrated set, better like many other movies.

Last edited by MK1980; 05-17-2015 at 02:47 PM.
post #1506 of 1765 Old 05-17-2015, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK1980 View Post
I have seen line bleed when I list in menus of Blu Ray plazer or on my Vu Duo machine , but it is not any issue as I cannot see it doring TV shows or movies watching All plasmas with power limiting have it more or less appearing, I have checked on youtube, it is pretty common charakteristic of many and as well new plasma models produced in latest years

By the way have somebody watched movies like COBLER , or FOCUS? great picture quality on my calibrated set, better like many other movies.
Thanks for the response, I notice it mostly on the things you mentioned, like cable TV menus, but also watching boxing, when a fighter is by the ropes, you can see straight lines across his body. Not really a Sandler fan, but I'll check out The Cobbler. Movies I think look best on this set, Back to the Future 1, Predator, and A Knight's Tale.
post #1507 of 1765 Old 05-18-2015, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakdilse View Post
hi Frank.. could you post your calibration settings for pb6900? ...
No. They are of no value to you.

https://www.itu.int/dms_pubrec/itu-r...3-I!!PDF-E.pdf
Read this standard. Note that the target electro-optical transfer function depends on that specific display's actual black luminance and white luminance. My values are of no use to you.

Use the set-up wizard and you'll get as good as you can without a colorimeter, software and training.

HAve fun,
Frank
post #1508 of 1765 Old 05-18-2015, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonkennedy View Post
I really haven't run into line bleed on plasma calibration jobs that I have done. It might be that when the peak white is properly set that the problem does not occur. From what I understand on line bleed, it is because the power supply in the set runs out of steam. In the case of line bleed, there is a white object on the screen that is temporarily deleting the power. There are a couple of things that I would suggest:
  • Make sure that any input source does not use "super white" (in other words, limits the white level to 235).
  • Turn down the contrast a bit to keep the peak white areas from drawing too much power.

Dave Hancock
post #1509 of 1765 Old 05-19-2015, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I received the lg 60 pb5600 and I have to confess that beside the immersive image its dead silent! No buzzing effect!! Thank good because previous Samsung experience made me provocative about 60plasmas
MK1980 and Bait-fish like this.
post #1510 of 1765 Old 05-20-2015, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzycat View Post
I have a question for you guys. I've mostly been hanging out over on the p50s60 thread because I found a used panny with low hours (117) for $400, but in case that deal falls through for some reason I've found a new 50" LG 6650 for $700. Which one do you think is the best option for the price? (I know the price for the lg is higher than it was a few months ago. There is also Pioneer Kuro for $475, but I'd have to drive 3 hours two ways to get it, and it's 6 or 7 years old. But it would be sweet to have one of those. Too bad they quit making them.)

What are the pros/cons for the lg? One thing I've become painfully aware of with the pannys is some of them develop a power issue and have to have boards replaced, but for $400 it's kind of hard to think about that, with only 117 hours it's basically a brand new tv. Do LGs develop any problems like this?

What would you say would be the pros/cons of the the LG 6650 vs the panny s50? They both have 50" screens, so that being equal, are there ways in which either outperforms the other? One big way the lg wins is it would be under warranty. But I'm not familiar with plasmas, and I'm curious about this. I'm tempted to buy both of them, even though I only need one tv. (It would even better if the lg had a bigger screen. I was looking for a samsung 5000 for the screen size, but I can only find used ones on amazon. Still, for $1000....) Thanks!
Hi you have to put all of this to comparison of your expectations. Best is to buy new TV anyhow , for warranty etc. reason . Samsung 64h5000 is 64" 2D plasma and one of the best, but you are looking for 50" So back to your question, that Panny used one has high contrast very deep blacks , but very low brightness, it is not big issue in room with controlled light , heavy curtains on windows, or in dark room best with 1 or without window. Compared to this Panasonic LG is more bright. Pioneer Kuro is superstar for black level , but if it already old I would reconsider to buy it, even desighn will be very old etc. , picture contrast would be best from all 3. I would still pick that Panasonic or LG anyhow for 700USD if there is availability LG 6650 , 60" was offered through DELL for similar price like 700USD, in this case what I have read 60" LG has even better black level like 50" , just read about that I am not sure. All depends when you cannot find enough space for 60" go for 50" Panasonic or LG in Panasonic favour speak cheap price of used model as well, if you can recheck it before buying , which condition it is, there is high risk. LG 50" 5600 if is available with 1HDMI but anyhow you can buy a hub would be cheapest new solution.
post #1511 of 1765 Old 05-20-2015, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey all,

I recently picked up the 60PB6650 from dell.com and received it last week. I have about 80 powered on hours now, and so far have been extremely pleased with the price/quality that the set has delivered. I have not detected any audible buzzing with my set. I don't have any calibration hardware, but I did a quick tune-in with the AVS HD 709 AVCHD, and with the Picture Wizard III to adjust the contrast, brightness, and basic color and tint adjustments. This is my first plasma and I've been really blown away so far by the pop in bright scenes, though I can note that dark scenes don't seem to get quite black enough. Dark scenes like Game of Thrones typically present still appear to be distinctly grey haze. Gamma is on 2.2 and HDMI black level low. I can hardly complain though at $749 taxed and shipped, with a $125 dell gift card.
post #1512 of 1765 Old 05-22-2015, 11:31 PM

I have some confidence that this is a terrible question but...

There's no easy way to improve blacks without taking the back panel off eh? Like if we accessed some sort of service menu that I understand most/all TV's have?

I assume the answer is no but if anybody can shed some light on the service menu and what its capabilities are, that would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
post #1513 of 1765 Old 05-23-2015, 05:05 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Setting inputs to PC will improve black levels. Several posts in this long thread discuss it. I did it because I have no desire whatsoever to open the back of the tv. It definitely improves your black levels,
post #1514 of 1765 Old 05-23-2015, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dargent062801 View Post
Setting inputs to PC will improve black levels. Several posts in this long thread discuss it. I did it because I have no desire whatsoever to open the back of the tv. It definitely improves your black levels,
What are better blacks? Many folks are perfectly willing to accept "black clipping" to get the impression of better blacks, while only getting "more blacks".

The pots do set the real black level, but you really need to have equipment to actually measure the level of "0% black" (digital 16) to know.
MK1980 likes this.

Dave Hancock
post #1515 of 1765 Old 05-23-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dargent062801 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Do we know what else setting the input to PC affects? Or what exactly is happening to make the black's darker?
post #1516 of 1765 Old 05-23-2015, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Can't really say. I'm no videophile I just follow the suggestions I get in the forum. Game of thrones and dark knight definitely looked better to my eye though!
post #1517 of 1765 Old 05-24-2015, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can you use the break in slides on the LG PB 6900? How do you download to thumb drive on a Mac, any tricks? Finally, what is the best site to download from? Thanks.
post #1518 of 1765 Old 05-25-2015, 02:48 PM

I've posted here a couple times but I've mainly been creeping to see how others are feeling about the 2014 LG plasma models.

I wanted to share something that I recently found to give me a better picture.

Long story short...

I wasn't overly happy with my set (60PB5600), I would consistently play with settings or try settings that were suggested on here. None really seemed to fix my issue of contrast. I really thought that though the picture was pretty good overall, the contrast made faces and backgrounds blend together and the depth of the picture was an issue.

I tried everything from adding dynamic contrast/color, messing with color settings and gamma and everything I could think about or read about.

I recently read (on a different thread) to try something new. it was actually suggested by someone who had an older LG plasma model. That post suggested to not use expert 1/2 but to use standard. Here me out...I turned off all the 'fake' stuff (dynamic contrast/color, noise reductions) and simply changed the gamma to high from it's original position of medium. I assumed that it would be similar to changing from 2.2 to 2.4 in one of the expert settings, so I paused an image on the screen that would of usually caused issues with contrast. I flipped back and forth from expert to standard and was pleasantly surprised that the high gamma in standard gave off much more depth and contrast than the 2.4 in expert 1/2. This is simply my opinion, but I'm confident in saying there was a definite improvement.

After googling gamma, I was somewhat concerned that maybe I was crushing the black as can happen when the gamma is set too high. The good news is that I put in my Disney WOW disk and was very happy to find that this was not the case and there was no white/black crush going on at all. Everything was still very gradient and where it should.

I really felt compelled to write my story because I've always sort of wondered if there were people like me out there struggling with this set in terms of contrast.

I'm not sure if my technical descriptions above are 100% accurate but wanted to report that after this slight change, I am much more happy with the depth of the overall picture.

Hope this helps...any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
post #1519 of 1765 Old 05-26-2015, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 18
On the 60PB5600, Choose Expert1, scroll down and select Expert Control. Under Color Temperature, choose 2 Points method, Points=High, and then put Red/Green/Blue all at 50. This will increase contrast. Then you will need to calibrate tv again, after this change. This helped with contrast on my set, but the best thing to do, is get the Pots adjusted by a technician to decrease black level.
post #1520 of 1765 Old 05-27-2015, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seikon View Post
Thanks for the reply. Do we know what else setting the input to PC affects? Or what exactly is happening to make the black's darker?
I didn't notice any improvement over having already calibrated contrast and brightness with black level at low. Setting the input (I'm using HDMI 3) to PC does provide an additional "auto" setting in addition to low and high under black level setting. I left it set to low. Using PC label on input also enables 4:4:4 chroma, and when you hit info on the remote, the input signal will report [email protected] instead of 720p, or [email protected] instead of 1080p, but 1080i signals still say 1080i. I haven't made any POTS adjustments.
post #1521 of 1765 Old 05-28-2015, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Talking

Hey everybody! this thread is amazing, so much interesting information. I've had two concerns as of late owning the PB6600. One was the line bleeding seems to be a bit more noticeable than before (I've had the TV about 8 months now) I mostly just game so I've had the TV on game mode since I brought it home. Second one was when viewing from off angles the picture looks like there's a double image, like a reflection of some sort. was wondering if this is normal for the set or I should be concerned? Any info would much appreciated

Here's some photos tell me what you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150529_012259.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	743129   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150529_015338.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	743145   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150529_014821.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	743153   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150529_015329.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	743161  
post #1522 of 1765 Old 05-29-2015, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 157
I'm seeing internal panel reflections, likely at a boundary between glass layers in the panel. You get the same thing with eye glasses, without the light emitting layer.
Frank
post #1523 of 1765 Old 06-04-2015, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Overlord View Post
Hey everybody! this thread is amazing, so much interesting information. I've had two concerns as of late owning the PB6600. One was the line bleeding seems to be a bit more noticeable than before (I've had the TV about 8 months now) I mostly just game so I've had the TV on game mode since I brought it home. Second one was when viewing from off angles the picture looks like there's a double image, like a reflection of some sort. was wondering if this is normal for the set or I should be concerned? Any info would much appreciated

Here's some photos tell me what you guys think?
hello LG and Panasonic plazmas has 2 glasses so from very big angle from side you can see double image, however Samsung is using 1 glass layer only and it is not present on Samsungs, I like it also like Samsung is doing it :P but from extremme angles I am never watching TV and nobody is because you cannot see anyhting honestly is no use. line bleeding if you have TV ISF calibrated with very good calibrator like is Dave here you wouldnt be able to notice it, I cannot find line bleeding normally only 1time per month for few seconds in special menu when listing I see very subtle line bleed nothing to be worthy of talking, but my tv is I think very well ISF calibrated too, it is little expenssive but best money investition I have done , results are very pleasing . are you using Expert 1 settings and , Standard colour adjustment, gamma 2,4, warm2 white balance and all fancy gimmicks like dynamic contrast colours you have off ? Through picture wizard adjusted TV without ISF calibration is starting point, mostly sharpness 5, brightness 54 and contrast from 90 to 95 will do the trick not more contrast ! colour amount on 50, colour tint just follow picture wizard recommendation... Enjoy your set! and consider ISF calibration by best calibrator nearby you, not possible to regret it

Last edited by MK1980; 06-04-2015 at 03:16 PM.
post #1524 of 1765 Old 06-04-2015, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Has anyone downloaded the latest update to the 6650?

I afraid to download it and lose flash support.
post #1525 of 1765 Old 06-12-2015, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I just got a refurbished 60PB6600 from Newegg.

Looks great so far, but I have an issue with really bad motion blur. I'm baffled because plasma shouldn't have any motion blur. I haven't managed to get a picture of it yet, but it's most visible with fast moving objects on a grey background. I can see like 5 frames of motion blur, and it's extremely distracting.

Anyone else had this problem? Any recommendations?
post #1526 of 1765 Old 06-12-2015, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Can you post a picture or video? Are you coming from and LED with soap opera effect? There shouldn't be motion blur, but you might get some judder in really fast moving scenes. Also, try to turn on the trumotion user setting to like 3. That might help as well.
post #1527 of 1765 Old 06-12-2015, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmtaub View Post
Can you post a picture or video? Are you coming from and LED with soap opera effect? There shouldn't be motion blur, but you might get some judder in really fast moving scenes. Also, try to turn on the trumotion user setting to like 3. That might help as well.
Yea I managed to get a couple of decent pictures, despite my extremely inadequate phone.

Name:	WP_20150612_026.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	773145

Name:	WP_20150612_031.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	773153

The main problem is the multiple outlines left behind the characters. It's quite bizarre and very distracting. This is content from Netflix, but I have tried both the TV's app and over HDMI from laptop, but the problem remains. I have tried TruMotion off and TruMotion clear, but it seemed about the same. I don't have a DVD player or blu-ray player unfortunately. I am coming from a 120HZ LCD panel that has a strobed backlight, so I'm definitely sensitive to any kind of motion blur. But comparing to my IPS laptop screen still looks better than the plasma's motion at the moment.
post #1528 of 1765 Old 06-12-2015, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Shot in the dark here, but have you tried resetting it to factory defaults?
post #1529 of 1765 Old 06-12-2015, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Are you sure that is what you are seeing? These pictures look like the camera shutter is open for several frames. Note how the multiple "outlines" are sharp. That is not motion blue (as there is no "blur"). If you have tried all settings of TruMotion (pay particular attention to De-Judder), then there may be a defect in your set.

Dave Hancock
post #1530 of 1765 Old 06-13-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bait-fish View Post
Shot in the dark here, but have you tried resetting it to factory defaults?
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post
Are you sure that is what you are seeing? These pictures look like the camera shutter is open for several frames. Note how the multiple "outlines" are sharp. That is not motion blue (as there is no "blur"). If you have tried all settings of TruMotion (pay particular attention to De-Judder), then there may be a defect in your set.
Thanks for the suggestions guys. That's definitely what I'm seeing, I took a lot of shots that did look like it got multiple frames, but these two show exactly the problem I was describing.

I reset the TV to factory defaults, but same result. However, simply putting the input to "game" mode seemed to fix the problem! I think I can still detect slight outlines, but it's vastly improved. I pretty much replicated my settings in game mode, but the problem is definitely there in expert1, but not game mode. Truemotion off. Very strange. Oh well, I guess I'll just use game mode for everything! Thanks again for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
pb6600

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page