Any more info on LG PB6600 (or other 2014 model) plasma? - Page 52 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 179Likes

post #1531 of 1765 Old 06-13-2015, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by moldyviolinist View Post
Yea I managed to get a couple of decent pictures, despite my extremely inadequate phone.

Attachment 773145

Attachment 773153

The main problem is the multiple outlines left behind the characters. It's quite bizarre and very distracting. This is content from Netflix, but I have tried both the TV's app and over HDMI from laptop, but the problem remains. I have tried TruMotion off and TruMotion clear, but it seemed about the same. I don't have a DVD player or blu-ray player unfortunately. I am coming from a 120HZ LCD panel that has a strobed backlight, so I'm definitely sensitive to any kind of motion blur. But comparing to my IPS laptop screen still looks better than the plasma's motion at the moment.
My 6650 looks the same way but only when using the Netflix app. The Netflix app on my PS3 looks just fine. Weird!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 1765 Old 06-13-2015, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alegre View Post
My 6650 looks the same way but only when using the Netflix app. The Netflix app on my PS3 looks just fine. Weird!
That's very interesting. I had the same result with netflix from laptop over HDMI though. I'd bet your PS3 input is set to game mode on the TV? Maybe it's some strange interaction with netflix and whatever processing the TV is doing for non-game modes.
post #1533 of 1765 Old 06-15-2015, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
That's very interesting. I had the same result with netflix from laptop over HDMI though. I'd bet your PS3 input is set to game mode on the TV? Maybe it's some strange interaction with netflix and whatever processing the TV is doing for non-game modes.
I would give LG service a call. Assuming you have the 1 year warranty, have them come out and take a look. You may have a faulty panel which in this case they would replace free of charge. I can tell you my 6600 shows none of the "ghosting" you have. I do not think that is correct. The reason game looks better is the processing is different, so there is way less going on with the screen.
Bait-fish likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1534 of 1765 Old 06-15-2015, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmtaub View Post
I would give LG service a call. Assuming you have the 1 year warranty, have them come out and take a look. You may have a faulty panel which in this case they would replace free of charge. I can tell you my 6600 shows none of the "ghosting" you have. I do not think that is correct. The reason game looks better is the processing is different, so there is way less going on with the screen.
I do agree on having a service call - but I don't think that it is the panel itself. It appears to be a problem with the signal processing which needs to be resolved (fixed).
Bait-fish likes this.

Dave Hancock
post #1535 of 1765 Old 06-15-2015, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmtaub View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post
I do agree on having a service call - but I don't think that it is the panel itself. It appears to be a problem with the signal processing which needs to be resolved (fixed).
Thanks, I'll dig up the warranty info this evening. I've also noticed a large pink area on the right side of the screen, visible with a white picture

My concern is that this TV is discontinued, so I'm not sure that they'll be able to send a replacement or anything. Plus I got this refurbished from Newegg, LG might want me to just go through them, and they'll just want me to return for a refund.
post #1536 of 1765 Old 06-15-2015, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, I'll dig up the warranty info this evening. I've also noticed a large pink area on the right side of the screen, visible with a white picture

My concern is that this TV is discontinued, so I'm not sure that they'll be able to send a replacement or anything. Plus I got this refurbished from Newegg, LG might want me to just go through them, and they'll just want me to return for a refund.
The fact that it is a refurb makes me suspicious. All you might be able to do is get a refund. I'd try for a NEW ("factory fresh") one. Perhaps you can get a refund and then buy a new one somewhere else.

Dave Hancock
post #1537 of 1765 Old 06-15-2015, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Remember, the 6600 is actually a dated model/technology as I recall. A good TV, but they pretty much kept it as-is and continued to sell it years after it first came out.
post #1538 of 1765 Old 06-15-2015, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
Remember, the 6600 is actually a dated model/technology as I recall. A good TV, but they pretty much kept it as-is and continued to sell it years after it first came out.
They (all Plasmas) are all dated.

Dave Hancock
post #1539 of 1765 Old 06-15-2015, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They (all Plasmas) are all dated.
I thought when I researched it the 6600 was 2011 parts/technology.

Still a good TV...and you're right, no plasma today is really newer than 2013 technology.
post #1540 of 1765 Old 06-15-2015, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I thought when I researched it the 6600 was 2011 parts/technology.

Still a good TV...and you're right, no plasma today is really newer than 2013 technology.
I guess that my point is: GET THEM WHILE YOU CAN! (But don't buy a "referb" that someone else has rejected - and they have failed to fix!)
MK1980 likes this.

Dave Hancock
post #1541 of 1765 Old 06-15-2015, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I guess that my point is: GET THEM WHILE YOU CAN! (But don't buy a "referb" that someone else has rejected - and they have failed to fix!)
Excellent advice Dave.....if I could go back, I'd buy a few of the Panny's.

You wonder if someone has put a bunch in a warehouse or mini-storage somewhere and is gonna bring them out when the last retail plasma is sold.
post #1542 of 1765 Old 06-17-2015, 11:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Contrast

A few questions. Why does the recommended contrast setting in the wizard, and a lot of calibrated settings posted here of 96 or higher wipe out every shade of grey in expert pattern 1? The higher contrast gives more pop, but there is a noticeable loss of detail in the picture. 90 seems to be the sweet spot, but struggles when it comes to bright whites. Secondly, why is the AVS color clipping pattern way off? I tried using this to correct the bright white problem, after getting the colors to clip properly, blue is almost impossible, the whites looked better, but color was way off.
post #1543 of 1765 Old 06-18-2015, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonkennedy View Post
a few questions. Why does the recommended contrast setting in the wizard, and a lot of calibrated settings posted here of 96 or higher wipe out every shade of grey in expert pattern 1? The higher contrast gives more pop, but there is a noticeable loss of detail in the picture. 90 seems to be the sweet spot, but struggles when it comes to bright whites. Secondly, why is the avs color clipping pattern way off? I tried using this to correct the bright white problem, after getting the colors to clip properly, blue is almost impossible, the whites looked better, but color was way off.
Because every set is different!!!!

Dave Hancock
post #1544 of 1765 Old 06-25-2015, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone please link me to instructions for showing firmware level, downloading, and installing firmware for a 60PB5600? I seem to be having what I think are HDCP issues and I want to make sure I am running the latest recommended firmware first. I cannot seem to find firmware information on LG's site either. Thank you. I have done about an hour of searching and reading, so sorry if this has been answered before.
post #1545 of 1765 Old 06-25-2015, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Here's what mine shows.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1435274344353.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	795530
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1435274366201.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	795538

Edit: Not sure how this turns out. Uploaded via Tapatalk on mobile. Sorry if pics are huge, or other.
post #1546 of 1765 Old 06-26-2015, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 175
that looks right...
Bait-fish likes this.
post #1547 of 1765 Old 06-27-2015, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the post. My menus are different. I have the non-smart 60PB5600. I don't see a menu that says anything about firmware/software.
post #1548 of 1765 Old 06-28-2015, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Sorry about that. Yeah, it's a smart, 6600.
post #1549 of 1765 Old 06-28-2015, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-speed View Post
Thanks for the post. My menus are different. I have the non-smart 60PB5600. I don't see a menu that says anything about firmware/software.

I've got the same the same model as you. I don't think firmware updates are available for this set. Nothing in my menu for it either.
post #1550 of 1765 Old 06-29-2015, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Because every set is different!!!!
Hi Dave, as you have mentioned to me peak whites increase request as well greyscale and colour ISF recalibration, as far I know as well by contrast peak whites are increased overally for whall picture , right? So my question is when I have ISF calibrated contrast on 90, when i see even on some light scenes on 92 contrast starting clipping or overburned whites, is it also because of greayscale is damaged little if calibration has been done on contrast 90? or it could be more likelly just mines set bright white limit visible, and it is washing some subtle colour tones and gradation in image on higher contrast like ISF calibration. I see benefit of higher contrast even increased slightly in very dark and nearly no light containing scenes. Thanks again for your support.
post #1551 of 1765 Old 06-29-2015, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK1980 View Post
Hi Dave, as you have mentioned to me peak whites increase request as well greyscale and colour ISF recalibration, as far I know as well by contrast peak whites are increased overally for whall picture , right? So my question is when I have ISF calibrated contrast on 90, when i see even on some light scenes on 92 contrast starting clipping or overburned whites, is it also because of greayscale is damaged little if calibration has been done on contrast 90? or it could be more likelly just mines set bright white limit visible, and it is washing some subtle colour tones and gradation in image on higher contrast like ISF calibration. I see benefit of higher contrast even increased slightly in very dark and nearly no light containing scenes. Thanks again for your support.
I should clarify my comment to leonkennedy's post. I was responding to his first part:
Quote:
Why does the recommended contrast setting in the wizard, and a lot of calibrated settings posted here of 96 or higher wipe out every shade of grey in expert pattern 1?
where he was talking about the settings posted here. The proper setting on one set might be 89 while another might be 98. (as every set is different).
MK1980 likes this.

Dave Hancock
post #1552 of 1765 Old 06-30-2015, 02:00 AM

Quote:
I should clarify my comment to leonkennedy's post. I was responding to his first part: where he was talking about the settings posted here. The proper setting on one set might be 89 while another might be 98. (as every set is different).
tks , my top contrast surely seems to be 91 which is fine still enough punch from picture

Anyhow I have to confirm picture of my plasma in low brightness, low contrast movie images have much improved in last weeks,
I have watched some movies again and overally picture is really much better,
as I have read plasma cells after few months are in some cases producing better picture, that is possible explanation too
I can confirm picture is much cleaner, maybe it is because I have only last 2 months watched many really fullscreen TV broadcasts,
and I have been watched broadcast in 50hz and then switched to 60hz for HD movies and Blu Rays.
For instance 5th Element Blu Ray movie now looks really beautifully on my set

I am worry to do but after 2 years warranty will end, I`ll try find assistance for POT tuning here in Europe, to little improve blacks,
this would be more visible improvement in my case like brighter whites . So far only one experienced POT tuner in Europe is from Germany Shaoran here :P

Last edited by MK1980; 06-30-2015 at 02:09 AM.
post #1553 of 1765 Old 07-02-2015, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 18
60PB5600 - Black level has risen considerably! Has anyone else noticed rising black levels in such short ownership of these LG TV's? I'm going to have to setup a service call for them to look at it, since it is now very bad.
post #1554 of 1765 Old 07-03-2015, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron_H View Post
60PB5600 - Black level has risen considerably! Has anyone else noticed rising black levels in such short ownership of these LG TV's? I'm going to have to setup a service call for them to look at it, since it is now very bad.
Yes, there is a certain amount of shift in levels that happens in the early hours as the display phosphors stabilize. That is why one should get 200 hours of use on a plasma display before having it calibrated.

When I first checked my 60PB6900 black was unmeasurable. After I had 200 hours on it, I measured 0.028 ft-l. Still, low, but not unmeasurable.

Dave Hancock
post #1555 of 1765 Old 07-07-2015, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lgpb6600

Just sold my house and told the buyer I would leave my 7 year old Panasonic 58" plasma mounted in the bedroom. I have the same set in the LR which I am taking. Haven't been in the market for a TV in years because these were so good but realized that Plasma is about gone and I can't get next to LED. After reading and trying to buy another Plasma I found a "NEW" LG 50pb6600 for 550.00 shipped. Bought it this morning.

After reading everything here it put my mind at ease and for the price it's a "NO BRAINER"

Thanks for all the advice.

I'll let you know how it works out.
post #1556 of 1765 Old 07-07-2015, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richtx6 View Post
Just sold my house and told the buyer I would leave my 7 year old Panasonic 58" plasma mounted in the bedroom.
That's a nice present...could probably sell it for some nice $$$.
post #1557 of 1765 Old 07-13-2015, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 2
For anyone who's interested Dell has the PB6650 on sale for $799 with free shipping, I ordered one on Friday with a delivery date of 7/20 for a total of $879 after tax.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=A7851732

I was surprised to find this in stock as new Plasmas are like Unicorns these days.

Last edited by No Nrg; 07-13-2015 at 03:10 PM.
post #1558 of 1765 Old 07-13-2015, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Nrg View Post
For anyone who's interested Dell has the PB6650 on sale for $799 with free shipping, I ordered one on Friday with a delivery date of 7/20 for a total of $879 after tax.
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=A7851732
I was surprised to find this in stock as new Plasmas are like Unicorns these days.
Anybody own both this and the Samsung 8500 or 5300 or 5000 ? Wonder how they look side-by-side.
post #1559 of 1765 Old 07-14-2015, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Anybody own both this and the Samsung 8500 or 5300 or 5000 ? Wonder how they look side-by-side.

The 8500 would beat any of the LG sets hands down, but also cost 3 times as much. There aren't really any of those left out in the wild that aren't used or marked up.

I grabbed the LG 6650 plasma as a place holder for a few years until OLED and 4K settle down in price and the standards are decided.

I just couldn't bring myself to spending money on the 4K LEDs out right now.
MK1980 likes this.
post #1560 of 1765 Old 07-14-2015, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Hi I did have pn64f8500 refurbished one at home for one day , returned for huge Burn in issue, very badly. But I can compare , first of all it was not ISF calibrated and even not customized except of warm2 colours usage normal brightness adjustment , sharpness nearly off etc. Overally image was VERY 3D like in 2D movies and in that big amount that it was exciting a lot , thanks to big contrast and very deep black level. I have tested Edge of Tmorrow, Dark Knight Rises, Hobit 2 and Rio 2 movies, now I wish to see more but because of found defect I have stopped. For animated movie like Rio2 I saw 0 difference between 60pb6900 3D version of 6650 and F8500 in other movies blacks helped to better picture, not calibrated set from Samsung was not better in colour reproduction like LG even both we not calibrated. In dark scenes LG lost by big margin. One annoying thing on Samsung was slight buzzing sound, not nice because LG is silent, and when TV was on table and I stood up and filter against reflections which is good thing for sunny rooms had darkened picture VERY MUCH when you look standing from top on screen, there was literally something dark only visible, so filter is suitable from viewing in normal seating position of viewer and installation wallmount must be done in tollerable vertical angle to prevent darkening of the picture because of antiglare filter, this plasma is very bright and with this filter in daytime should be pleasant to use, mine LG is in dimm room with 1 window with little light going inside room only and not directly shining on TV, so I have no claim. I did love finally no antiglare filter is installed on mine LG , I am exercising sometimes when watching TV and on Samsung it was not suitable . After returning of Samsung I have ordered ISF calibration and put white bias light 6500k temperature all over the backpanel with regulation of light intensity, I have calibrated 2d and 3d as well, and it is now very good picture colours , shadow details, gamma, clear whites , and deeper blacks with bias light now difference compared to f8500 is in blacks level decreased plus ISF calibration bringed even better colours which were before on similar level as Samsung even little more vibrant before ISF calibration. Anyhow this LG is good plasma TV when you will profesionally calibrating it has big pluses , so far I am really coward to do POT tuning for blacks improvement, maybe I do after warranty expires... but with POT tuning you won`t match f8500 black levels as well so. Samsung f5300 2014 version B model and h5000 samsung 2014 models have similar blacks and night performance like f8500 but don`t have as big brightness and for me plus point don`t have that aggresive antiglare filter causing issue when you are changing vertical viewing angle, cheaper TVs much better value if you can find them. I am not sure about h5000 but f5300 has on 2 point white balance calibration controls, as far as I know these 2 doesn`t have ISF calibration menu, which is minus anyhow. Some users here reported better black level on pb6900 like on f5300 but reviews and more users confirmed f5300 is sure with deeper blacks as well all 3 Samsung models about which you have asked. I have owned 2008 HD 3D 50" Samsung plasma model for 5 years, without any power limiting it was having big brightness which I had appreciated actually nearly stopped to operate after 5 years, picture was really good, anyhow blacks were really awfull - like white grey , plasma uniformity rules helps baby .

Last edited by MK1980; 07-14-2015 at 07:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
pb6600

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page