Any more info on LG PB6600 (or other 2014 model) plasma? - Page 58 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 179Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1711 of 1765 Old 02-15-2016, 04:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Dargent0628's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 364
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Just checked my hours. 3360 and my PB6650 is performing flawlessly. No IR BI that I can detect. I'm sorry that some have had early failures.
Dargent0628 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1712 of 1765 Old 02-23-2016, 04:13 AM
Member
 
Colargo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post
I too have a 6900 (and watch a fair amount of CNN) - no burn here either!

Perhaps your settings (particularly Contrast) are leading to this problem.
I'll try adjusting it and see if it makes any difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
Well you could zoom the picture on those channels to get rid of the bug. Plasmas have image retention. Burn in is permanent. If it goes away then it is just a annoyance. How long are you watching it? Too much news is bad for you!
I watch or keep the TV on in the background probably 8 or more hours on most days. Like often even if I'm not always looking at the screen I still like to listen and glance up when something interesting happens.

As for news, it really depends. I always catch the local news here, but for something like CNN it varies depending on whether or not there's something interesting or significant news story going on. That's pretty much the only channel that's causing me problems as it seems like even if I watch it for an hour or so I'll have image retention that takes a very long time to go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargent0628 View Post
Just checked my hours. 3360 and my PB6650 is performing flawlessly. No IR BI that I can detect. I'm sorry that some have had early failures.
How do you check how many hours you have on the TV? Is it in the settings? If so I must have missed it.
Colargo is offline  
post #1713 of 1765 Old 02-23-2016, 05:19 AM
Senior Member
 
Dargent0628's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 364
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colargo View Post
I'll try adjusting it and see if it makes any difference.



I watch or keep the TV on in the background probably 8 or more hours on most days. Like often even if I'm not always looking at the screen I still like to listen and glance up when something interesting happens.

As for news, it really depends. I always catch the local news here, but for something like CNN it varies depending on whether or not there's something interesting or significant news story going on. That's pretty much the only channel that's causing me problems as it seems like even if I watch it for an hour or so I'll have image retention that takes a very long time to go away.



How do you check how many hours you have on the TV? Is it in the settings? If so I must have missed it.
To check your hours Settings/Info (? Icon)/Product Service Info--6th line down Used Time

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Dargent0628 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1714 of 1765 Old 02-23-2016, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
davehancock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hamburg, NY (near Buffalo)
Posts: 5,574
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colargo View Post
I watch or keep the TV on in the background probably 8 or more hours on most days. Like often even if I'm not always looking at the screen I still like to listen and glance up when something interesting happens.
I would suggest taking one of the picture modes and turning the Panel Light and Contrast way down (Gregory Perkins Zoom suggestion is also good). Switching from this "Dim" mode to your regular mode when you actually watch is quick & simple).

Dave Hancock
davehancock is offline  
post #1715 of 1765 Old 02-23-2016, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PhilipsPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rockland County, NY
Posts: 3,808
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post
I would suggest taking one of the picture modes and turning the Panel Light and Contrast way down (Gregory Perkins Zoom suggestion is also good). Switching from this "Dim" mode to your regular mode when you actually watch is quick & simple).
Yes, see my "CNN Thread" -- if you are not actively watching the TV no need to have it at full-brightness for hours at a time.

My Samsung 5300 even has a "screen off" mode so that I can just hear audio. I haven't used it but I do use the Eco Sensor set to HIGH (reduces cell brightness alot) while watching/listening to CNBC during the day since I already got some IR/BI that I was unaware of (it's only visible while watching white scenes like a hockey game).
PhilipsPhanatic is offline  
post #1716 of 1765 Old 02-24-2016, 06:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Dargent0628's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 364
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I also use the screen off option on the LG when listening to music. Finally discovered that option a few weeks ago. Wish I had found it earlier I'd have a lot fewer hours on the screen.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
PhilipsPhanatic likes this.
Dargent0628 is offline  
post #1717 of 1765 Old 04-12-2016, 09:09 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a LG 60PB6900 bought in Aug 2014. Don't know how many hours it has on it, but it was used daily as our main TV and regularly not turned off when people stopped using, so probably high hours. The unit died a couple days ago. Symptoms are no picture, but sound. When the unit is turned on, the screen flashes grey/white, then goes black. Power LED (front/center below the screen) turns off. When the unit is powered off, the Power LED turns back on (red). That's it. Daughter said she heard a "pop" while they were trying to turn it on and off to see if the picture came back. Probably a blown capacitor.

Called LG Customer Support. They said it was out of warranty (1 year). I talked to them about the panel being still under warranty. They said they could send a tech out for ~$190. I'm waiting to hear back from the "Extended Warranty" dept. I asked if they had any panels, they said if they didn't then the "Executive Dept" would manufacture more. I thought that was weird.

We bought the TV using American Express Card, which extends the manufacturer's warranty a extra one year, so probably have to go that route. Any suggestions? Any idea what is wrong?
wasabi_fu is offline  
post #1718 of 1765 Old 04-13-2016, 12:57 PM
Member
 
billmcf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Portland, OR USA
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi_fu View Post
I have a LG 60PB6900 bought in Aug 2014... The unit died a couple days ago...

Called LG Customer Support. They said it was out of warranty (1 year). I talked to them about the panel being still under warranty. They said they could send a tech out for ~$190. I'm waiting to hear back from the "Extended Warranty" dept. I asked if they had any panels, they said if they didn't then the "Executive Dept" would manufacture more. I thought that was weird.

We bought the TV using American Express Card, which extends the manufacturer's warranty a extra one year, so probably have to go that route. Any suggestions? Any idea what is wrong?
I went through the same thing last year with a 60PB6600. My story had a happy ending. You can read about it in post #1592: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-pl...l#post37911529

Good luck!
billmcf is offline  
post #1719 of 1765 Old 05-12-2016, 10:23 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello,

I have the 60PB5600 model and had a few quick questions:

-PICTURE QUALITY:
* Does anyone have the optimal picture setting for this model? I know every set is slightly different but thought it would be worth asking since this model is the exact same without the smart features.

.
.
.

-FIRMWARE UPDATE:
The reason is any to update the firmware is mainly due to HDMI negotiation issues - this model has a very hard time connecting over HDMI. It is EXTREMELY hard to get the TV to recognize anything whatsoever which is extremely frustrating. Other TV's including LG TV's recognize the same devices whereas this one does not. It sometimes takes hours JUST to.
* Does anyone know if it is possible to update the firmware on the model and what the newest version is? My installation menu version is v2.6 if it helps.
** UPDATE: I was able to get into the "EZ Adjust menu" which showed the "Module ROM Version" as "60R6_4DA1D0". I was unable to get any information on this anywhere. Is this the newest version? Am I in the correct place and is there another Service Menu besides the EZ Adjust menu? Not sure if Module ROM version is synonymous for the firmware.
.
.
.

-REAL CINEMA:
* I am using Expert1 expert mode and" Real Cinema" is grayed out when using HDMI. Pressing info shows "1080p @ 60Hz", but I have a feeling the signal being sent is not 1080p. Is this why this is happening? On Component it is not grayed out. Perhaps it is because the feed is not being recognized as 24p?

Many thanks!!!
E---Man is offline  
post #1720 of 1765 Old 05-15-2016, 04:20 PM
Member
 
leonkennedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Real Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by E---Man View Post
Hello,

I have the 60PB5600 model and had a few quick questions:

-PICTURE QUALITY:
* Does anyone have the optimal picture setting for this model? I know every set is slightly different but thought it would be worth asking since this model is the exact same without the smart features.

.
.
.

-FIRMWARE UPDATE:
The reason is any to update the firmware is mainly due to HDMI negotiation issues - this model has a very hard time connecting over HDMI. It is EXTREMELY hard to get the TV to recognize anything whatsoever which is extremely frustrating. Other TV's including LG TV's recognize the same devices whereas this one does not. It sometimes takes hours JUST to.
* Does anyone know if it is possible to update the firmware on the model and what the newest version is? My installation menu version is v2.6 if it helps.
** UPDATE: I was able to get into the "EZ Adjust menu" which showed the "Module ROM Version" as "60R6_4DA1D0". I was unable to get any information on this anywhere. Is this the newest version? Am I in the correct place and is there another Service Menu besides the EZ Adjust menu? Not sure if Module ROM version is synonymous for the firmware.
.
.
.

-REAL CINEMA:
* I am using Expert1 expert mode and" Real Cinema" is grayed out when using HDMI. Pressing info shows "1080p @ 60Hz", but I have a feeling the signal being sent is not 1080p. Is this why this is happening? On Component it is not grayed out. Perhaps it is because the feed is not being recognized as 24p?

Many thanks!!!
Is your HDMI hooked up to a cable box? If so, then you have to set the output from 1080p to native.
leonkennedy is offline  
post #1721 of 1765 Old 05-15-2016, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
davehancock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hamburg, NY (near Buffalo)
Posts: 5,574
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonkennedy View Post
Is your HDMI hooked up to a cable box? If so, then you have to set the output from 1080p to native.
It all depends on the cable box (some do not have native, but do have 1080p, others have native, but no 1080p (as they have no 1080p channels).

Dave Hancock
davehancock is offline  
post #1722 of 1765 Old 05-16-2016, 06:46 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonkennedy View Post
Is your HDMI hooked up to a cable box? If so, then you have to set the output from 1080p to native.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post
It all depends on the cable box (some do not have native, but do have 1080p, others have native, but no 1080p (as they have no 1080p channels).
Hi @leonkennedy and @davehancock , first thanks for replying!

The cable box is just one of the devices this TV has a tremendously hard time recognizing. The model of the cable box is a Cisco Nextbox Explorer 4642HD, and the max resolution is 1080i although I have tried other resolutions it supports such as 720p and 480p - all don't work. Another similar "dumb" LG TV model 42LN5200 upstairs has no issue at all recognizing any resolution from this cable box so its just this unit. Edit: Cable box has no "Native" option.

Other devices are a pain to recognize as well via HDMI on this. I went out this weekend and bought an HDMI switcher just to try (also because this model has only 1 HDMI input) and got the same results. I wonder if my firmware version is old, I have found absolutely no information on firmware versions for this model.

Anything else I can try with HDMI issues?

Last edited by E---Man; 05-16-2016 at 06:58 AM.
E---Man is offline  
post #1723 of 1765 Old 05-22-2016, 09:21 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by E---Man View Post
Hi @leonkennedy and @davehancock , first thanks for replying!

The cable box is just one of the devices this TV has a tremendously hard time recognizing. The model of the cable box is a Cisco Nextbox Explorer 4642HD, and the max resolution is 1080i although I have tried other resolutions it supports such as 720p and 480p - all don't work. Another similar "dumb" LG TV model 42LN5200 upstairs has no issue at all recognizing any resolution from this cable box so its just this unit. Edit: Cable box has no "Native" option.

Other devices are a pain to recognize as well via HDMI on this. I went out this weekend and bought an HDMI switcher just to try (also because this model has only 1 HDMI input) and got the same results. I wonder if my firmware version is old, I have found absolutely no information on firmware versions for this model.

Anything else I can try with HDMI issues?
Anybody?
E---Man is offline  
post #1724 of 1765 Old 05-23-2016, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gregoryperkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,545
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by E---Man View Post
Anybody?
Are you going through a receiver? Does the box have component? If so try that. Lastly get another box.
gregoryperkins is offline  
post #1725 of 1765 Old 05-23-2016, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
davehancock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hamburg, NY (near Buffalo)
Posts: 5,574
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by E---Man View Post
Anybody?
From everything that you have said, it sounds like this set is defective. I gather that it is new and likely in-warranty. If so, I would contact LG. And have them take care of it. In saying this, I assume that you have eliminated the HDMI cable as a possible culprit.

Dave Hancock
davehancock is offline  
post #1726 of 1765 Old 05-26-2016, 01:32 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post
From everything that you have said, it sounds like this set is defective. I gather that it is new and likely in-warranty. If so, I would contact LG. And have them take care of it. In saying this, I assume that you have eliminated the HDMI cable as a possible culprit.
Hi,

Yes I did, I tried 3 different cables. This model is not under warranty. No info on the firmware version?
E---Man is offline  
post #1727 of 1765 Old 05-31-2016, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gregoryperkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,545
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by E---Man View Post
Hi,

Yes I did, I tried 3 different cables. This model is not under warranty. No info on the firmware version?
Have you tried a different cable box? If it's not a dvr you have nothing to lose.
gregoryperkins is offline  
post #1728 of 1765 Old 06-01-2016, 08:25 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
Have you tried a different cable box? If it's not a dvr you have nothing to lose.
Thanks, I did try a different cable box which does 1080p, nothing. It only recognizes one box that is not a cable box but a digital media player
E---Man is offline  
post #1729 of 1765 Old 06-03-2016, 06:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Dargent0628's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 364
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Came home last night to the blinking/clicking red light of death. Unplugged and tried a 30 second reset. Nada. Reading the forums I suspect a bad cap? I am not one of you courageous individuals who'll open it up, so I have to cross my fingers and see what the service tech has to say. Bummer. This set is around 16 months old with <5000 hours. Does not inspire confidence in LG or encourage me to consider further purchases from them.
Dargent0628 is offline  
post #1730 of 1765 Old 06-28-2016, 03:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Ryan L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 248
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargent0628 View Post
Came home last night to the blinking/clicking red light of death. Unplugged and tried a 30 second reset. Nada. Reading the forums I suspect a bad cap? I am not one of you courageous individuals who'll open it up, so I have to cross my fingers and see what the service tech has to say. Bummer. This set is around 16 months old with <5000 hours. Does not inspire confidence in LG or encourage me to consider further purchases from them.
Sorry bud, but it sounds like you have a bad screen like me and a couple others did and mentioned a few pages back. I just had my screen replaced less than a year ago and now it's bad again. Way to go LG! I had an extremely bad experience with their CS and now this, again. I really am done buying any of their crap ever again. It's a shame because they seem to be on the forefront of display tech (LED projectors and OLED TVs) and have a decent price to performance ratio for a lot of their products. Might as well go with a brand like Vizio or something and roll the reliability dice.
Ryan L is offline  
post #1731 of 1765 Old 06-30-2016, 08:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Tech came out bad power board 400$ repair said lg plasma notorious for running hot and frying the boards. No way I'm paying that on a set I paid 700$ for. Oh well it was a good screen for 16 months.

Sent from my LG-v410 using Tapatalk
dargent062801 is offline  
post #1732 of 1765 Old 07-01-2016, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gregoryperkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,545
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by dargent062801 View Post
Tech came out bad power board 400$ repair said lg plasma notorious for running hot and frying the boards. No way I'm paying that on a set I paid 700$ for. Oh well it was a good screen for 16 months.
Bummer, what model was it? At least there are decent alternatives to plasma now.
gregoryperkins is offline  
post #1733 of 1765 Old 07-01-2016, 05:37 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 5
60PB6650. we're moving into a home where I'm going to eventually set up a projector. Until then I think a 60" LED. Vizio probably. I had a Vizio for years never a moment's trouble.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
dargent062801 is offline  
post #1734 of 1765 Old 07-01-2016, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gregoryperkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,545
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Yes, all my small tvs are vizios, never a problem. All the big ones are plasmas (never a problem either) except my 5 year old dlp projector. It's a good time to get one, the hdr projectors are just starting to come out. We use the projector from September to April since it is upstairs and not light controlled.
gregoryperkins is offline  
post #1735 of 1765 Old 07-01-2016, 09:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Ryan L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 248
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dargent062801 View Post
Tech came out bad power board 400$ repair said lg plasma notorious for running hot and frying the boards. No way I'm paying that on a set I paid 700$ for. Oh well it was a good screen for 16 months.

Sent from my LG-v410 using Tapatalk
When the repair guy first came around he said the same sort of thing and replaced a couple of the circuit boards which didn't do a thing for it. Seems like they don't have practical ways for testing these things and just throw parts at it. Ended up being the whole screen like I mentioned above and the exact same thing that a couple of other users mentioned when theirs had the blinking red light of death. Reason I mention this is because I believe that the screens have a longer warranty (maybe someone else can confirm this). Not sure if that covers just the parts and not the warranty. I guess if you had to pay something out of pocket it may not be worth as it will probably just break again in another year. . BTW, did you have to pay anything for the vast from the repairman? Just curious.
Ryan L is offline  
post #1736 of 1765 Old 07-01-2016, 09:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Ryan L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 248
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dargent062801 View Post
60PB6650. we're moving into a home where I'm going to eventually set up a projector. Until then I think a 60" LED. Vizio probably. I had a Vizio for years never a moment's trouble.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
Yes, all my small tvs are vizios, never a problem. All the big ones are plasmas (never a problem either) except my 5 year old dlp projector. It's a good time to get one, the hdr projectors are just starting to come out. We use the projector from September to April since it is upstairs and not light controlled.
I've had a smaller Vizio in my daughter's room for a few years now and it's been rock solid, but it's their larger sized ones with more bells and whistles that have the issues. I'm kind of leaning towards getting something like a 65" Vizio but I'm definitely going to be getting something like a square trade warranty with it. What I would really love to get is a Led projector which is 1080p minimum, has usable lumens, and doesn't cost a king's ransom. LG is the only one who makes something like that, but too bad it's LG.
dargent062801 likes this.
Ryan L is offline  
post #1737 of 1765 Old 07-02-2016, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gregoryperkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,545
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan L View Post
I've had a smaller Vizio in my daughter's room for a few years now and it's been rock solid, but it's their larger sized ones with more bells and whistles that have the issues. I'm kind of leaning towards getting something like a 65" Vizio but I'm definitely going to be getting something like a square trade warranty with it. What I would really love to get is a Led projector which is 1080p minimum, has usable lumens, and doesn't cost a king's ransom. LG is the only one who makes something like that, but too bad it's LG.
I've been following the lg pf1500 thread and it seems to be rock solid. The problem is that it's a year old, so there's probably a new one coming out shortly. So pick it up for ~$600 when they are trying to get rid of them or buy the new model if the specs are significantly better? I really want the next pj to support hdr/expanded color, I don't care about 4k.
gregoryperkins is offline  
post #1738 of 1765 Old 08-26-2016, 06:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Ryan L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 248
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi_fu View Post
I have a LG 60PB6900 bought in Aug 2014. Don't know how many hours it has on it, but it was used daily as our main TV and regularly not turned off when people stopped using, so probably high hours. The unit died a couple days ago. Symptoms are no picture, but sound. When the unit is turned on, the screen flashes grey/white, then goes black. Power LED (front/center below the screen) turns off. When the unit is powered off, the Power LED turns back on (red). That's it. Daughter said she heard a "pop" while they were trying to turn it on and off to see if the picture came back. Probably a blown capacitor.

Called LG Customer Support. They said it was out of warranty (1 year). I talked to them about the panel being still under warranty. They said they could send a tech out for ~$190. I'm waiting to hear back from the "Extended Warranty" dept. I asked if they had any panels, they said if they didn't then the "Executive Dept" would manufacture more. I thought that was weird.

We bought the TV using American Express Card, which extends the manufacturer's warranty a extra one year, so probably have to go that route. Any suggestions? Any idea what is wrong?
Just checking in to see what ended up happening with your dead LG. I know that it's a major PITA to deal with them and also painfully slow (at least that was my experience when I dealt with them last year). They also said some inconsistent things to me when I inquired about a new panel; first it was that they were backordered from that factory and didn't know when they were going to be avail. Then it was that they are no longer being made at which point they were going to reimburse me somehow for the tv. And finally they contacted me saying that a panel was sent to the repair company (I guess they magically produced one all of a sudden), but was slow as hell and kept on postponing the repair. They were making excuses for every color of the rainbow on why they couldn't come out on the day they said they would. And further contacting LG by that point was completely useless because they were making statements like, "Well we sent it to them so it's not our problem anymore." I tried explaining that it was their repair company (subcontracted or not) and ultimately their product that was covered under warranty which wasn't functioning. Anyway, this misadventure from last year was already posted by me several pages back. And I as I mentioned a few posts back, the damn thing is dead again with the exact same symptoms as last year. Since the replacement lasted even less time, I kind of think that the replacement panel was most likely used/refurbished and not new. That would explain some of the inconsistencies on whether or not they were going to be able to replace the panel at first. Looked at my busted LG plasma in the closet yesterday wondering what exactly I'm going to do with it and if it's worth repairing. It's a shame because it had a fairly decent picture.

I'm very reluctant to contact them again and have more headache inducing conversations in broken English. That price which they quoted you; did that include the replacement of the panel or was it simply a diagnosis fee of some sort? And if it was the later, do they reimburse you if they do in fact come to the conclusion that it was the panel and how much is the actual labor for that (since I don't believe it would be covered)? I fear that if they send the same incompetent company out that they did last time for me then they will drain me dry because they swore that it was initially a bad control board and replaced a couple of them, but obviously it didn't do squat. They didn't seem to know exactly what they were doing and their repair strategy seemed to be throwing parts at something in an attempt to make it work right once again. Don't mean to scare you as it sounded like the other guys on here had much better experiences with LG's repair companies in their areas (I think one guy said that his repairman worked directly for LG if I'm not mistaken). BTW, I'm in the DC, VA, MD region; I hope that you're not too!

Let me know if they got back to you and what story they gave you this time about panel availability and what cost they would charge you. If it's several hundred dollars to fix this thing then I'm going to pass since the tv was only about $600 new. What bothers me the most is that I could repair it and only get another year out of it (or less).

Last edited by Ryan L; 08-26-2016 at 06:47 PM.
Ryan L is offline  
post #1739 of 1765 Old 10-16-2016, 06:46 PM
Member
 
MrSilvia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, I'm subscribing to this thread because I'd like to get updates on the conversation. I'm also getting some extreme motion blurring issues I cant seem to crack...

Does anybody know of any solutions to the motion blur issues? This has been happening since I bought the TV and I've even had an LG technician replace the main board in the TV without any resolution.

I'm running a PS4 and XBOX1 through HDMI to a Pioneer VSK-1020 receiver. I've also tried to feed the TV with a clean signal directly from the consoles with the same issues. One thing I noticed in the specifications on this TV though is that it claims that HDMI can only process 1080i, not 1080p, but component can process 1080p? I'm planning on buying an HDMI to Component cable converter to see if the TV can process 1080p from the converter a bit better.

Has anyone experienced this before?
Its a 60PB5600, I've read that these sets are the same
MrSilvia is offline  
post #1740 of 1765 Old 10-17-2016, 12:44 AM
Member
 
J-e-L-L-o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: California
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSilvia View Post
Hi all, I'm subscribing to this thread because I'd like to get updates on the conversation. I'm also getting some extreme motion blurring issues I cant seem to crack...

Does anybody know of any solutions to the motion blur issues? This has been happening since I bought the TV and I've even had an LG technician replace the main board in the TV without any resolution.

I'm running a PS4 and XBOX1 through HDMI to a Pioneer VSK-1020 receiver. I've also tried to feed the TV with a clean signal directly from the consoles with the same issues. One thing I noticed in the specifications on this TV though is that it claims that HDMI can only process 1080i, not 1080p, but component can process 1080p? I'm planning on buying an HDMI to Component cable converter to see if the TV can process 1080p from the converter a bit better.

Has anyone experienced this before?
Its a 60PB5600, I've read that these sets are the same
Motion blur? Since you've had the set? That doesn't right. You probably have had a defective unit this whole time. I have 4000 hrs on my set, bought when it first came out and have NEVER seen motion blur. I game a lot with PS4 and regularly watch action movies and anime.

Great tv for me knock on wood.
J-e-L-L-o is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
pb6600

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off