Any more info on LG PB6600 (or other 2014 model) plasma? - Page 59 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 179Likes

post #1741 of 1765 Old 10-17-2016, 05:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
\
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-e-L-L-o View Post
Motion blur? Since you've had the set? That doesn't right. You probably have had a defective unit this whole time. I have 4000 hrs on my set, bought when it first came out and have NEVER seen motion blur. I game a lot with PS4 and regularly watch action movies and anime.

Great tv for me knock on wood.
Thanks for the response Jello. I really hope its not a defective unit as I had the LG technician come in and evaluate it as a well with no solution... Motion blur is the only way I could describe it, it may be something else.

Considering its the 60PB5600 unit and their specifications online state that the HDMI port is only capable of 1080i and the component input is capable of 1080p, I've been thinking about trying an HDMI to Component converter to test this out. I know it's weird that they state the i only works on HDMI and p only works on component. But it is what it is.

regardless, any idea of what else this could be? I have no problems opening up the TV and replacing a board if it would solve the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 1765 Old 10-17-2016, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSilvia View Post
Hi all, I'm subscribing to this thread because I'd like to get updates on the conversation. I'm also getting some extreme motion blurring issues I cant seem to crack...

Does anybody know of any solutions to the motion blur issues? This has been happening since I bought the TV and I've even had an LG technician replace the main board in the TV without any resolution.

I'm running a PS4 and XBOX1 through HDMI to a Pioneer VSK-1020 receiver. I've also tried to feed the TV with a clean signal directly from the consoles with the same issues. One thing I noticed in the specifications on this TV though is that it claims that HDMI can only process 1080i, not 1080p, but component can process 1080p? I'm planning on buying an HDMI to Component cable converter to see if the TV can process 1080p from the converter a bit better.

Has anyone experienced this before?
Its a 60PB5600, I've read that these sets are the same
I have the 6900 and an lg projector. Both have terrible lipsync problems when paired with a receiver. They are doing a ton of image processing, in my projectors case to the detriment of dark scenes. I was able to get the projector to look good by putting it on the game setting, in theory cutting down on the processing to reduce lag. Since I discovered this, I have not gone back to the plasma to do the same. They are in the same room and I have been using the projector most of the time. I'd start there.

Tv signals top out at 1080i, I find it hard to believe that the tv won't take 1080p, you should be able to tell what it is getting. I actually have the same receiver, I assume you mean vsx.
post #1743 of 1765 Old 10-17-2016, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi all, I'm subscribing to this thread because I'd like to get updates on the conversation. I'm also getting some extreme motion blurring issues I cant seem to crack...

I'm running a PS4 and XBOX1 through HDMI to a Pioneer VSK-1020 receiver. I've also tried to feed the TV with a clean signal directly from the consoles with the same issues. One thing I noticed in the specifications on this TV though is that it claims that HDMI can only process 1080i, not 1080p, but component can process 1080p? I'm planning on buying an HDMI to Component cable converter to see if the TV can process 1080p from the converter a bit better.
I didn't notice the model distinction, I have the 6600.

Hmm well if the tv can only take the 1080i, that could be the reason for the interpolation issues. Probably the effect your eyes are seeing. I know the PS4 can output at 1080i. Hook the PS4 directly to the tv, then go to settings, sound and screen, video output settings, and choose 1080i. See if that helps.

Then do the same thing through the receiver. Some receivers don't do 1080i over HDMI..it will automatically up convert to 1080p. I remember my old Onkyo documentation said that and like you said, it did do 1080i over component.

Try the PS4 directly connected forcing 1080i output then the receiver. Im betting the receiver is causing the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1744 of 1765 Old 10-17-2016, 07:34 AM

Motion Blur? or not Motion Blur?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
I have the 6900 and an lg projector. Both have terrible lipsync problems when paired with a receiver. They are doing a ton of image processing, in my projectors case to the detriment of dark scenes. I was able to get the projector to look good by putting it on the game setting, in theory cutting down on the processing to reduce lag. Since I discovered this, I have not gone back to the plasma to do the same. They are in the same room and I have been using the projector most of the time. I'd start there.

Tv signals top out at 1080i, I find it hard to believe that the tv won't take 1080p, you should be able to tell what it is getting. I actually have the same receiver, I assume you mean vsx.
Hi Greg, I've tried the game settings, unfortunately this doesn't help the laggy effect I'm experiencing, here is some more data on the effect and the above.

Regarding the resolution specifications, here are the specifications:
This is the file I was referring to, snapshot of the video specifications attached too. Let me know if I’m reading it wrong. haha
http://www.lg.com/ca_en/support/prod...0Sheet_Eng.pdf

When I’m in game, and I press the ‘INFO’ button, the output is labelled as 1080p 60Hz. But regardless, it’s very misleading if the specifications state 1080i through HDMI and I’m using HDMI with 1080p

Quote:
I didn't notice the model distinction, I have the 6600.

Hmm well if the tv can only take the 1080i, that could be the reason for the interpolation issues. Probably the effect your eyes are seeing. I know the PS4 can output at 1080i. Hook the PS4 directly to the tv, then go to settings, sound and screen, video output settings, and choose 1080i. See if that helps.

Then do the same thing through the receiver. Some receivers don't do 1080i over HDMI..it will automatically up convert to 1080p. I remember my old Onkyo documentation said that and like you said, it did do 1080i over component.

Try the PS4 directly connected forcing 1080i output then the receiver. I’m betting the receiver is causing the problem.
Thanks for this tip Jello! This may be the reason why the TV is displaying 1080p when I press the info button. Maybe the receiver upscaling isn’t matching the tv frequency or something. I have connected box xbox1 and ps4 directly to the TV and experienced the same issue, but I haven’t tried to connect directly and change the output to 1080i. I find the xbox to be a little limiting on the output settings, so I’ll test the PS4 tonight. The same thing happens with movies too, so I’ve validated that its definitely an issue with how the TV is receiving the signal.

Here is a video of the effect I was referring to. I recorded my screen on my phone. It’s evident when you see the trees while the screen is rotating.

It’s unfortunate that I can’t get into the service screens to check the firmware version, # of hours of operation, etc.
Also, the motion eye care is greyed out, so I can’t turn it on to see if it’ll help.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the feedback on this.

Lastly, this is what I was planning on buying to see if it would help the situation:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-to-RGB-...MAAOSwMNxXVnSn
post #1745 of 1765 Old 10-17-2016, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm not sure what you are comparing it to, but the video looks awful. It's hard to say since there is so much wrong and I can't tell what is from youtube compression.

Did you try it on another tv? As I mentioned, lg does bad things to the picture in my opinion. Turn off anything that sounds like processing.
post #1746 of 1765 Old 10-17-2016, 08:13 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure what you are comparing it to, but the video looks awful. It's hard to say since there is so much wrong and I can't tell what is from youtube compression.

Did you try it on another tv? As I mentioned, lg does bad things to the picture in my opinion. Turn off anything that sounds like processing.
I have tested this source with my Sony LCD in another room and it looks fine. the picture/color quality has improved as I've updated the settings to calibrated settings I've found. That particular game doesn't have the best in-game graphics, but the same effect is occurring with better quality games and movies.

I'm just quite frustrated as I wanted a plasma for the refresh rate as I figured it would be great for gaming, and now I feel like I'm behind 60hz...
post #1747 of 1765 Old 10-17-2016, 08:33 AM

I confirmed that the only output options on the XBone are 720p and 1080p. I wouldn't get that convertor box, its unbranded, probably cheap chinese junk. I would look for a receiver that properly did 1080i over HDMI. Good news is you can just look for an older model and probably won't cost your more than 200 bucks.

Hoping to hear good news back on what happens when forcing the PS4 to 1080i.

Never mind, component is what I was looking for. Haven't been on here in 2 years haha.

Last edited by J-e-L-L-o; 10-17-2016 at 09:09 AM.
post #1748 of 1765 Old 10-17-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
I confirmed that the only output options on the XBone are 720p and 1080p. I wouldn't get that convertor box, its unbranded, probably cheap chinese junk. I would look for a receiver that properly did 1080i over HDMI. Good news is you can just look for an older model and probably won't cost your more than 200 bucks.

Hoping to hear good news back on what happens when forcing the PS4 to 1080i.
Do you have any recommendations on a good HDMI to component converter?

I also realized that my receiver, VSX-1020 has a bunch of options for resolution outputs an Progressive motion correction in its settings, so I guess I could try to force it to output 1080i and see what happens with that. I'll try that out in conjunction with the PS4 1080i trial to see what the differences are and report back.

One of those situations where I'm at work and I cant stop thinking about this problem. haha
post #1749 of 1765 Old 10-17-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Do you have any recommendations on a good HDMI to component converter?

I also realized that my receiver, VSX-1020 has a bunch of options for resolution outputs an Progressive motion correction in its settings, so I guess I could try to force it to output 1080i and see what happens with that. I'll try that out in conjunction with the PS4 1080i trial to see what the differences are and report back.
yup you won't need one. On page 70 of your user manual, you can set the output display resolution. Pretty nice receiver! So you can hook up everything with HDMI.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/St...ctions0302.pdf

I would change resolution to 1080i (for video conversion) and Pure Motion to OFF.
post #1750 of 1765 Old 10-17-2016, 09:30 AM

And where are you seeing the 5600 is only 1080i?

http://www.lg.com/us/support/product...ec%20Sheet.pdf
post #1751 of 1765 Old 10-17-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
And where are you seeing the 5600 is only 1080i?

http://www.lg.com/us/support/product...ec%20Sheet.pdf

This is the specification sheet I was using: http://www.lg.com/ca_en/support/prod...0Sheet_Eng.pdf
Although, its the same information, its the canadian site...

At least the way I'm reading the US spec sheet, it says the same thing:
HDMI, Component, RF: 1080i, 1080p, 720p
means, respectively
HDMI = 1080i
Component = 1080p
RF = 720p

Canadian site:
HDMI: 1080i
Component: 1080p
RF: 720p

I might be reading it incorrectly, but that's how I interpreted it, which didn't sound right to me...

regardless, on the US site, why would they have 1080i first, then 1080p?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LG 60PB5600 video specifications.png
Views:	60
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	1721113  
post #1752 of 1765 Old 10-17-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
This is the specification sheet I was using: http://www.lg.com/ca_en/support/prod...0Sheet_Eng.pdf
Although, its the same information, its the canadian site...

At least the way I'm reading the US spec sheet, it says the same thing:
HDMI, Component, RF: 1080i, 1080p, 720p
means, respectively
HDMI = 1080i
Component = 1080p
RF = 720p

Canadian site:
HDMI: 1080i
Component: 1080p
RF: 720p

I might be reading it incorrectly, but that's how I interpreted it, which didn't sound right to me...

regardless, on the US site, why would they have 1080i first, then 1080p?
That has to be a typo. HDMI supports 1080p while component only goes up to 1080i. The numbers probably got switched as the set isn't that old.

Older tv's only did 1080i over hdmi, but that was when the spec was first introduced.
post #1753 of 1765 Old 10-17-2016, 07:13 PM

Well guys, sad to say that nothing helped the situation... I forced 1080p, 1080i, 720p, and even 480, with a bunch of settings high and off, with no avail...

Question: how likely is it that it could just be noise from something random around the TV??? I guess I'm reaching at this point as I'm sure it's just one of the boards internally...
post #1754 of 1765 Old 10-17-2016, 07:16 PM

Lastly, any tips on being able to check the firmware and number of hours on the TV? I'm not seeing it anywhere in the menu
post #1755 of 1765 Old 10-18-2016, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Does it look good on anything, bd, tv? Maybe it is just a crappy tv for gaming?
post #1756 of 1765 Old 10-18-2016, 08:26 PM

Unfortunately, I think it is a poor TV for gaming and action movies. The effect is present with games and some action movies from what I've tested. It's unfortunate because the primary intent on getting a plasma in the first place was for gaming... It's all good. Not the end of the world as it is, just an annoying one
post #1757 of 1765 Old 12-01-2016, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Digital audio to analog receiver

I hope this is not a dumb question. I have the 60PB6650 and an older analog audio receiver with left/right RCA inputs. What device and cables would I need to send the audio through my receiver?

Will it work regardless of the input? I frequently watch streaming amazon prime videos.
post #1758 of 1765 Old 12-03-2016, 05:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambdafun View Post
I hope this is not a dumb question. I have the 60PB6650 and an older analog audio receiver with left/right RCA inputs. What device and cables would I need to send the audio through my receiver?

Will it work regardless of the input? I frequently watch streaming amazon prime videos.
On my 6900, there is an optical output, so you'd run an optical cable to the receiver and use whatever input that is assigned to. Or just use this as an excuse to upgrade your avr!
post #1759 of 1765 Old 12-03-2016, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Cool

Quote:
On my 6900, there is an optical output, so you'd run an optical cable to the receiver and use whatever input that is assigned to. Or just use this as an excuse to upgrade your avr!
Instead of "upgrading" his receiver to one with a digital input, here is a $18 solution from Monoprice:
http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=6884

Please pay attention to the note at the bottom. Apparently you need to be able to switch the TV optical output to PCM. The 6900 has this ability. (On 2nd thought, upgrading the sound system sounds like a good idea.)

Dave Hancock

Last edited by davehancock; 12-03-2016 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Add information
post #1760 of 1765 Old 12-04-2016, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post
Instead of "upgrading" his receiver to one with a digital input, here is a $18 solution from Monoprice:
http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=6884

Please pay attention to the note at the bottom. Apparently you need to be able to switch the TV optical output to PCM. The 6900 has this ability. (On 2nd thought, upgrading the sound system sounds like a good idea.)
Thanks Greg and Dave. The 60PB6650 also has a way to select PCM digital audio output, but the normal TV audio is disabled when the digital audio output is selected. I'll take a look a the converter.
post #1761 of 1765 Old 01-03-2017, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
3D Glasses

I was wondering if anybody had found some better 3D glasses that work with these LG plasmas, as I really dislike the LG ones.
I have tried these Excelvan ones,
https://www.amazon.com/Shutter-Bluet...dp/B00BGLYU6C/
which were comfortable, had better extraneous light protection and much stronger, but sadly they wouldn't sync to my 60PB690

I would love to find a decent alternative to the LG ones, so if anybody has got any recommendations, I would love to know.
post #1762 of 1765 Old 04-19-2017, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Whelp. My 6600 just went out. Was watching the TV and then suddenly the picture went black, but the audio was still fine. Waited for a couple of minutes and then turned off the TV and turned it on and still audio was on but the screen was blank. Turned it off and waited a minute and then turned it on again and heard a couple of loud popping sounds and then I turned the TV off quickly. Turned it on again and this time there was no audio or video.

Really disappointed right now because this TV lasted me barely a little over 2 years and now its kaput and I don't know what to do. Is it even worth fixing at this point or should I just buy a new one even though I HATE LCD/LED TVs, but that's all there is these days besides the more expensive OLED which I was hoping this plasma would tie me over until prices came down. :/

I bought LG because I thought the quality would be good considering I have another LG 50' inch TV that has 22,600 hours on it over 8 years now and its still going strong (knock on wood). Again really disappointed right now that this TV lasted only 2 years and is probably out of warranty. I guess I have no choice but to buy a new TV then? Damn this suck.......
post #1763 of 1765 Old 04-20-2017, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Check craigslist. Last time I looked there were plenty of Panasonics. I have 3 Panasonics and 1 LG plasma. Never had a problem with any of them, but they all have low hours since I use my projector most of the time.

It's funny, there will be plenty of supposedly plasma tvs that are obviously LCD. Unfortunately most of the posters are too dumb to put the model#, but there are a bunch in my area for around $200.
post #1764 of 1765 Old 07-23-2017, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm having a newer (or at least more noticeable) issue with my PB5600. I don't know how to describe it other than "horizontal banding"? Any time there is a solid color occupying a descent portion of the screen, it ghosts itself horizontally across the whole screen. It's not burn in, because the horizontal band moves and is very content dependent, ie images or scenes with a lot of varying colors and details I can't tell, but if I'm looking at a static image with solid colors, it looks really bad. It looks really bad on anything animated. It's hard to capture in a photo. See the photos below, it's most obvious following the horizontal white lines above & below JAMES GRANT, and next to the black box that says "The Anjunadeep Edition..." You can also see it following the edge of the bottom of the album cover.

Is there something wrong with my TV or my settings?

Issue is present across various HDMI sources. I don't have any other sources to test with.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170723_184315.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	275.1 KB
ID:	2254785  
post #1765 of 1765 Old 02-04-2018, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 11
pot tuning Wow!! hello everybody I had 3.5 year isf calibrated 60pb6900 plasma today pot tuned for better blacks ! wow! set up.set down fully clockwise. its 3x better contrast at least stunning looking woow omg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
pb6600

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page