ST60 and contrast/brightness setting - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-25-2014, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
ST60 and contrast/brightness setting

Tried posting in st60 thread but no replies yet so I figured I would repost here.

Have the Panny 65 inch ST60 (good ole HH Gregg floor model) and am having some difficulty with calibration. Hoping to afford a real calibration sometime in the future but for now, am using the Disney WOW disc to set the basics of contrast, brightness, color, and tint. In both custom (contrast 81 and brightness 11) and cinema (contrast 82 and brightness 5) modes is that if I set the contrast and brightness to the corresponding test screens, the image looks too dark. I thought initially this was due to being used to the over saturated pop of my former LCD so waited to get used to it. After a while, it still seemed dark so I upped the contrast in each mode to around 86 and this brought before unseen details out in the picture- for example in dark scenes, when I turned it up, background images suddenly appeared from out of the dark. So I put the WOW disc in to see how the test patterns match with the upped contrast and of course, the whites are clipped and unclip once I back the contrast back down again. Any ideas? Figured I would post here first and then try the WOW forum. BTW, the PQ is fantastic either way. Thanks!

Last edited by ericvq; 06-25-2014 at 03:47 PM. Reason: add panasonic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-25-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 3802 Post(s)
Liked: 3665
What panel brightness setting are you using, gamma preset ? The Disney WOW disc is notorious for leading to setting any incorrect contrast. AVS709(free in the calibration forum) is a better choice for brightness and contrast. A setting of +10 sound too high to me but I would have to know some of your other settings.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
post #3 of 8 Old 06-26-2014, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
What panel brightness setting are you using, gamma preset ? The Disney WOW disc is notorious for leading to setting any incorrect contrast. AVS709(free in the calibration forum) is a better choice for brightness and contrast. A setting of +10 sound too high to me but I would have to know some of your other settings.
Thanks so much for the reply! At work and can't remember but will check when I am home this evening and post the settings. I know in Cinema I do have everything besides contrast, brightness, color, and hue at default (as suggested without the use of cal meter and software). Will download the 709 and see how that compares.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-26-2014, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Cinema (defaults) I am using:

Gamma- 2.4
Panel Bright- Mid
AGC- 0
Black ext- 5
Color Gamut- Native
Black level- Light
HDMI range- Standard
Color temp- Warm2

Set with help of WOW disc
Contrast- 82
Brightness- 5
Color- 49
Tint- 0
Sharpness- 15

Thanks for the assist!
post #5 of 8 Old 06-26-2014, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Black extension should be 0. Other settings look pretty normal.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-27-2014, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter

Used the 709 disc to check the contrast in cinema and it resulted in moving up to 88 (from 82 with WOW). Brightness stayed at 5. Does bring the before unseen dark details out better. Chunon spot on with WOW having trouble with contrast. Will delve further into the 709 this weekend to see if it changes any of the other basic settings from WOW in cinema and see what it does in custom and home theater. Gonna keep saving for a pro cal. Thanks again- could spend a lifetime in here lol.

Last edited by ericvq; 06-27-2014 at 04:34 AM. Reason: add
post #7 of 8 Old 06-27-2014, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 3802 Post(s)
Liked: 3665
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericvq View Post
Used the 709 disc to check the contrast in cinema and it resulted in moving up to 88 (from 82 with WOW). Brightness stayed at 5. Does bring the before unseen dark details out better. Chunon spot on with WOW having trouble with contrast. Will delve further into the 709 this weekend to see if it changes any of the other basic settings from WOW in cinema and see what it does in custom and home theater. Gonna keep saving for a pro cal. Thanks again- could spend a lifetime in here lol.

I agree with the poster above Black Extension should be 0. I personally think custom is a better default picture mode. Glad the 709 recommendation helped

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
post #8 of 8 Old 07-05-2014, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericvq View Post
Cinema (defaults) I am using:

Gamma- 2.4
Panel Bright- Mid
AGC- 0
Black ext- 5
Color Gamut- Native
Black level- Light
HDMI range- Standard
Color temp- Warm2

Set with help of WOW disc
Contrast- 82
Brightness- 5
Color- 49
Tint- 0
Sharpness- 15

Thanks for the assist!
Depending what screen size ST60 you have gamma value should be set to 2.6 which is closer to 2.2 avg gamma. For the 50" and 55" correct gamma setting is 2.6, bigger sizes are 2.4 gamma setting. Change your Color Gamut to Normal , Native over saturates the colors and there fore not accurate to Rec 709 standards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page