LG 60" Plasma flickering/changing colors in splotches - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #61 of 75 Old 09-24-2017, 10:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Why do these solder joints come loose ? It's not like the TV is being moved around and jarred every few weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 75 Old 01-02-2018, 05:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottymcp View Post
My 3 year old LG 60" plasma tv (60PV250-UB.AUSZLUR) started having some issues in the middle to top part of the screen where the colors are shifting to different colors. Especially in white and light areas. If the screen goes white, there are basically clouds of area that are green or purple. They will stay there, then go away for a second, and come right back. It is especially bad when peoples faces are on the screen. Oddly enough, usually after about 4+ hours of continuous use, it stops. But if you turn off the tv, and turn it right back on, the problem is back. This happens on all inputs, with a computer hooked up, ps3, etc. It also happens when the TV's main menu is up. Thoughts?
I am Having same Problem with my 42GT50..Would request members to please Guide so that it Could be rectified.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture2.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	2339056   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	2339058  
post #63 of 75 Old 01-02-2018, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Its a bit improves when i change the MODE to Dynamic From Normal. As the Set heats up The Pink Spots & Flickering (3-4 Vertical Bars) gets reduced a bit ... Say10-20%
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 75 Old 01-07-2018, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Old thread but the info still works!
Fixed my 60pv250 which was full of the purple/blue washed blotches.
I soldered 2 cracked solder joints and plugged the tv in. It looked worse!
So I removed the board again, cleaned my solder and resoldered.
Assembled the board and powered it on again; still worse

I gave up and prepared to research new tv prices. Screwed in the remaining board screws and back cover and plugged in one last time.
It was a perfect picture! Watched it all night and no problem. I realized that testing the solder fix without screwing in ALL the screws and back panel for some reason, was not allowing for a good picture.
Very happy and now that I know how to fix it, I can wait until OLED tv prices drop.
Thank you to everyone who contributes to the forum!

I attached pictures of the coil location on the board but forgot to take a shot of the solder cracks underside. Looks just like the cracks that others posted though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0562.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	2342022   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0557.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	2342024  
post #65 of 75 Old 01-07-2018, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Unhappy Ahhh, Help!

So,with all of the great advice I learned to solder, took my LG Plasma Touchscreen 60PZ850 apart. I removed the X & Y Sustain boards and checked solder. Sure enough, dry solder under the coils. I resolder and reassemble, turn my beloved window to my soul on and Wala! Beautiful restored colors, crisp light areas.....wait a tick...

The bottom half of my screen is now dead. Not discolored or dim, but completely dark. As if someone placed a pitch black board over the bottom half of my tv.

I checked the connections between the boards, re-re-assembled, and checked the soldering again. I did notice that on 3 of the connections between the boards there is no solder but a component pin, pics attached, I'm not sure if there was never solder or I somehow knocked it off, but the breadboard holes look way too clean. Or if I somehow ripped the flat connection cable connected to the bottom of the board, pic attached and there seems to be very mild damage. Or did I somehow break the white connectors between the boards? I checked pretty thoroughly of secure connections.

So, Help? Please! I may try to beg a new flat connection cable (the white ribbon cable) to see if that's the cure. But could I be missing something? Should I solder those weird loose pins? Or would there be a reason to leave them loose?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20180106_202925509.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	485.1 KB
ID:	2342342   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180106_203051810.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	440.2 KB
ID:	2342344   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180106_202904038.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	564.4 KB
ID:	2342346   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180106_203127444.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	310.2 KB
ID:	2342348  
post #66 of 75 Old 01-12-2018, 12:11 PM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawsOwn View Post
So,with all of the great advice I learned to solder, took my LG Plasma Touchscreen 60PZ850 apart. I removed the X & Y Sustain boards and checked solder. Sure enough, dry solder under the coils. I resolder and reassemble, turn my beloved window to my soul on and Wala! Beautiful restored colors, crisp light areas.....wait a tick...

The bottom half of my screen is now dead. Not discolored or dim, but completely dark. As if someone placed a pitch black board over the bottom half of my tv.

I checked the connections between the boards, re-re-assembled, and checked the soldering again. I did notice that on 3 of the connections between the boards there is no solder but a component pin, pics attached, I'm not sure if there was never solder or I somehow knocked it off, but the breadboard holes look way too clean. Or if I somehow ripped the flat connection cable connected to the bottom of the board, pic attached and there seems to be very mild damage. Or did I somehow break the white connectors between the boards? I checked pretty thoroughly of secure connections.

So, Help? Please! I may try to beg a new flat connection cable (the white ribbon cable) to see if that's the cure. But could I be missing something? Should I solder those weird loose pins? Or would there be a reason to leave them loose?
These solder points are ok, they are not soldered in the first place.
Problem must be some where else.
post #67 of 75 Old 01-12-2018, 12:26 PM

Any ideas PLEASE

My 60PV250 had exactly the same issue, red sots all over the place.
I removed the ysus board, fixed soldering on all coils, removed the zsus board and fixed 2 bad solder points.
Reassembled everything. After powering on the TV, it switches itself off after 5 secs. Disconnect the power to the ysus board it stays on.
Conclusion ysus board is bad. Get a new one.

Today I received and tried the new ysus board, TV does not switch off, but NO picture.
I checked all connections and reassembled. Same result.

If I check the Y buffer boards, the coolers on the lower one are very hot but on the upper one are cold.
Anyone an idea which one is bad, or any other idea why I still only have sound and no picture at all?
post #68 of 75 Old 01-12-2018, 03:43 PM

I found some links on youtube (search for "LG 50PG20 Y Buffer troubleshooting") and did the test described there. Looks like the lower y buffer board is broken.
I disconnected the lower y buffer board, and I get life on the screen. Don't get me wrong nothing to watch yet, but the plasma itself seems fine and gets lit with the upper y buffer only.
I will get a replacement for the faulty lower y buffer board and post the results.
neeraj01 likes this.
post #69 of 75 Old 01-17-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jogon Doe View Post
I found some links on youtube (search for "LG 50PG20 Y Buffer troubleshooting") and did the test described there. Looks like the lower y buffer board is broken.
I disconnected the lower y buffer board, and I get life on the screen. Don't get me wrong nothing to watch yet, but the plasma itself seems fine and gets lit with the upper y buffer only.
I will get a replacement for the faulty lower y buffer board and post the results.
Status update as promised.
I replaced the lower y buffer board today.
Picture is back like new.
post #70 of 75 Old 08-28-2018, 10:43 PM

Thumbs up Issue fixed!

Couple months ago started having issues with my 60" LG plasma, purchased in 2011. Very wide flashing horizontal strips started appearing on top of the screen.
Was not considering repair, thought it would cost too much. Very glad i found this thread!!! Exactly the same model as pictured in some other posts. Was very easy to take a part, only struggle was white clips on the side of Ysus. Zsus had no cracks. Coils on Ysus had two significant cracks. I did not have leaded solder. It was a bit difficult to use lead free one ,but I got it done. Works perfect now. Thank you tom669 and everyone else for the info!
I attached picture with visible cracks on Y-sustain.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180828_190700.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	865.6 KB
ID:	2448030   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180828_190741.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	786.8 KB
ID:	2448032   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180828_190801.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	2448034   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180828_190907.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	551.0 KB
ID:	2448036   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180828_190911.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	507.1 KB
ID:	2448038  

Name:	20180828_190916.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	531.8 KB
ID:	2448040  
post #71 of 75 Old 09-16-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom669 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottymcp View Post
My 3 year old LG 60" plasma tv (60PV250-UB.AUSZLUR) started having some issues in the middle to top part of the screen where the colors are shifting to different colors. Especially in white and light areas. If the screen goes white, there are basically clouds of area that are green or purple. They will stay there, then go away for a second, and come right back. It is especially bad when peoples faces are on the screen. Oddly enough, usually after about 4+ hours of continuous use, it stops. But if you turn off the tv, and turn it right back on, the problem is back. This happens on all inputs, with a computer hooked up, ps3, etc. It also happens when the TV's main menu is up. Thoughts?
This is a common issue on these sets. It is caused by some cold solder joints under the ER coils on the Z-sustain or Y-sustain. If you have access to a soldering iron and some leaded solder (lead-free can work but is more difficult to use) then you can repair it.
Reply: Ive been having the same issue with my 60pv250 lg tv flickering colours across the screen. Took the y and z panels off and the y panel look to have a burnt solder point under the coils. Is the any way to fix this?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180916_223953_1537106006227.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	2455862  
post #72 of 75 Old 09-22-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
Why do these solder joints come loose ? It's not like the TV is being moved around and jarred every few weeks.
When I did my 60" Plasma.. 4 of the joints were cracked and really bad.. I am thinking that considering the amount of heat that was required to finally solder the joints properly- the problem is likley that when the boards go through a wave soldering machine that the joints just didnt get hot enough for the joints to be viable. Im a tad shocked the QC did not catch the fact though
post #73 of 75 Old 09-22-2019, 10:09 AM

My 6 Year old Plasma (LG 60") has been a star performer up until a few weeks ago! I got the blotchy flickers all of a sudden.. The TV had not moved off its wall mount.,. Thank goodness for this thread!!! I took the boards out and YEP 4 of the joints were cold joints.. One I could see was badly cracked with inclusions in the joint without my reading glasses.. So I am figuring ALL the power from the 3 colors goes through these coils- 3 for Vertical and 3 for Horizontal. That makes total sense that one or more of the colours were dropping out causing the blotches.
Long story short- After soldering (they DID take a long time to heat up so I could properly flow the solder) The TV is sharper and clearer than it has EVER been.. and no more blotches
Thanks so much for the OP who guided me to check those joints.. Saved me over a grand for a new TV.
Cheers
Dave
Alliston Ontario Canada
Bruce2019 likes this.
post #74 of 75 Old 09-26-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikescottj View Post
Thank you tom669. I found cracks on both boards on my LG 60PZ950 from 2011. It had no issues three days ago when the screen suddenly showed splotchy coloring in light colored areas like menus. The Z sustain had obvious solder cracks. On the PZ950, the sustain boards are difficult to separate from the buffer boards. Separating the board-to-board connectors took quite a bit of force. I worked on each connector, using a thin pry tool to separate the connector halves a little. On reassembly, pliers were need to re-mate the halves properly. I used leaded solder and a 60W pencil iron fitted with a chisel tip.

All color splotching is gone and the picture is restored to normal.

Best regards,
Mike Scott
27 Sept 2019! this thread is still going.

thank you so much for this post and this thread. I've also just fixed my 60PZ950 by re-soldering the coils on the z-sus! Beautiful!
post #75 of 75 Old 11-29-2019, 01:02 PM

Hi all!

After battling my min between buying an OLED today on black friday or trying to fix my plasma I am going for plasma

I seem to have the exact same problem. "Red haze" on white background. If I turn on energy saving to max so the screen becomes darker, the red dissapears. It is mainly visible on very bright scenes.

I just opened up the tv (LG pv250n) and looked at all the parts. I have no clue what to look for but looked ok I guess. My next step is to look on the backside of the boards.

BUT!!! I am totally new to this kind of hacking but I have done some minor soldering. I am really afraid to touch stuff on the tv and remove.

Is there first of all a good tutorial on how to make the tv safe to handle? I watched a YT clip and seems there are alot of deadly points on a plasma

If I can safely remove YSUS and ZSUS I can probably troublshoot this more¨

Thanks for this thread and I will not give up on my 60" plasma, still sweet contrast and deep darks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
42gt50 , 60PV250

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page