Samsung PN60F5300 - A & B Differences? - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #181 of 243 Old 12-22-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1628
The H5000 is pentile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 243 Old 12-22-2014, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Soulburner, thank you.

The Samsung website is very misleading in giving any info on this set, does not give any power comsumption rating. Do you know if it has the pink tint to it, I research on the forum and some responses said it was less susceptible to it.

Thanks!!!
post #183 of 243 Old 12-22-2014, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1628
That is a lingering question. I haven't seen any reports of it here, but it's a newer TV.

I can say mine does not have any pink or green tint issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 243 Old 12-22-2014, 05:49 PM

Thanks. I assume you are very happy with your purchase. Looks like I will pull the trigger on the 64" and 51" tonight.
post #185 of 243 Old 01-31-2015, 10:29 PM

Looking to necro the thread for some information. I'm in need of a new TV. I saw this model at Best Buy for $800. I asked for a remote to play with settings, but they didn't have one, or at least said they didn't. The TV looked very poor in comparison to the LED models around it, especially the blacks. Considering PQ, how will this thing stack up against the Samsung 7150 series? I see so many people here praising it, I have a hard time believing it was as bad as it looked in store. I figure they probably made it look bad because it would decrease sales of the much higher priced LEDs if the PQ was as good.

I don't need 3D or smart apps or even good speakers. I just want a good picture, and it seems there are very few TVs on the market that offer great PQ without all the bloated features.
post #186 of 243 Old 02-02-2015, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I don't have any experience or knowledge related to the 7150, so I can only speak to the PN60F5300. I can say that yes, it appears horrible in the store. I too looked at this in Best Buy and was underwhelmed. The one I saw on display looked hazy and the "blacks" looked gray. They had a remote, but I did not have the recommended settings handy to reset it and the lighting in the store was going to make it difficult to assess it fairly even if I did change the settings. Having said that, and after now owning this set for a couple months, I think the PQ is very good. The blacks are amazing, the contrast great and color very accurate. I am very happy with this set, especially for its price, and will not spend time on its merits since it sounds like you have read quite a bit about it. So I will point out some negatives for you to consider:
  1. Since this a pentile display (screen door effect), you may want to consider whether or not this is going to be a problem for you. Everyone's sight and sensitivity to this is differnt. I don't notice it once I get about 5-6 feet away.
  2. Reflection is an issue if you have a bright room or lights anywhere behind you. I tend to watch TV mostly at night and there are no floor lights behind me, so this isn't too much of a problem for me.
  3. Brightness for all plasmas (except the Samsung 8500 apparently) is always a factor. They simply cannot get as bright as LED's. If you like blazingly bright screens, this might not be the right type of display for you.
  4. Somewhat on the same line of brightness, color on plasmas is more about accuracy than saturation. If you prefer heavily saturated color (oversaturation in my opinion ), then again, this might not work for you.
  5. Whiteness is another challenge. Scenes with white in them are great up until the white takes up more than about 60%-65% of the screen. Then it becomes too much for the display to handle and looks washed out. If you watch hockey or other content that contains a lot of white, this might be disappointing as well.

Hope that helps!
post #187 of 243 Old 05-15-2015, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 61
OK, I took the plunge and got the 5300. Only thing is I am not sure if I got the "A" or "B" model; the receipt I got from Best Buy lists it as the "A" model so I am hoping that what actually gets delivered from the warehouse is a "B."

Either one is probably a big improvement over my 2006 Philips 50" but I heard the calibration or settings adjustments are much easier with the "B."

Keeping my fingers crossed....
post #188 of 243 Old 05-15-2015, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Most of us that have purchased this tv from BB have experienced the same on their receipts. Simply look on the back of your tv and you'll see the full model number listing whether its an "A" or "B". This set has quite an extensive calibration menu. (Compared to my older Hitachi plasma set)
I wouldn't say one is easier than the other to calibrate. But doing it "by eye" will be extremely difficult to give you an accurate picture. You'll definitely want to pick up a calibration disc, or spend the money to have it professionally calibrated after the initial 200 hour break in period.
Congrats on your purchase and enjoy your new plasma!

S5 tap'n

Last edited by cr671; 05-15-2015 at 12:19 PM.
post #189 of 243 Old 05-15-2015, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr671 View Post
Most of us that have purchased this tv from BB have experienced the same on their receipts. Simply look on the back of your tv and you'll see the full model number listing whether its an "A" or "B". This set has quite an extensive calibration menu. (Compared to my older Hitachi plasma set) I wouldn't say one is easier than the other to calibrate. But doing it "by eye" will be extremely difficult to give you an accurate picture. You'll definitely want to pick up a calibration disc, or spend the money to have it professionally calibrated after the initial 200 hour break in period.Congrats on your purchase and enjoy your new plasma! S5 tap'n
Thanks CR....I am currently between jobs so $$$ were a factor. If I were working full-time I would probably have purchased a top-of-the line 8500 or Panny or even gone for a 4K. For the $$$ and given what it replaced, this model is fine.

Any out-of-the-box suggestions you have for me to get the settings or anything else correct ?
I never had my Philips calibrated, I just had different settings based on Tint, Color, Brightness, etc. -- very basic. I was coming from a 27" CRT, so the PQ and size improvement was enough. So as long as the settings aren't way off on the 5300, I probably won't mind/notice if they aren't perfect.

Any settings that should definitely be ON or OFF, please feel free to let me know.
I watch mostly sports (including the NHL playoffs) and movies. TV arrives tomorrow or Monday.
post #190 of 243 Old 05-15-2015, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Here is some information that might help you:
  1. Almost 100% certain you have a B model.
  2. Most people have had luck with Orion2001's settings https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-pl...l#post27866097
  3. I hate to be a downer, but have you done your research on plasmas and white levels? Once you get over about 50% of an all-white scene, it starts looking a bit washed out. Your NHL watching may be disappointing for you.
  4. Otherwise, using the above recommended settings, movies should be great.
  5. The pentile display bothers some people, giving a "looking through a screen door" effect. I notice it but am fine once I am about 5-6 ft. away.
  6. Lastly, hopefully you will be able to watch in a relatively dark room with no lights behind you or in a position that they will not reflect off the screen. This screen is VERY reflective.
post #191 of 243 Old 05-16-2015, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnog View Post
Almost 100% certain you have a B model.
Yup...TV came a short while ago, it's a "B".

Quote:
Most people have had luck with Orion2001's settings https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-pl...l#post27866097
I used Will's here, except for the sub-menu dealing with Gamma
and stuff like that.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-pl...-settings.html

I'll do more extensive calibration later and check out Orion's.

Do DYNAMIC, MOVIE, and STANDARD each keep their own settings ? No other modes available, just those 3 ? And once you change them, it overrides (i.e., if I have STANDARD and adjust the brightness just for an older movie, I have to change it back after that movie right ?).

Quote:
I hate to be a downer, but have you done your research on plasmas and white levels? Once you get over about 50% of an all-white scene, it starts looking a bit washed out. Your NHL watching may be disappointing for you.
Truthfully, no. But again.....while I don't want to dismiss PQ, I am a guy coming from 2006 720p technology and before that a mid-1990's 27"/32" CRT. So I just watched an NHL game I had on the DVR (using component cables; my cable box needs to be returned for me to use HDMI) and it didn't look that bad.

What exactly do you mean by 'washed out' ?

Quote:
Otherwise, using the above recommended settings, movies should be great.
I take it you mean Orion's, I'll look for it/them. Thanks !

Quote:
The pentile display bothers some people, giving a "looking through a screen door" effect. I notice it but am fine once I am about 5-6 ft. away.
Again....compared to what I had and for the $$$, I didn't expect OLED or 8500 looks. I watch from about 9-10 feet away depending on if I am at the PC or the couch, so I should be fine.

Quote:
Lastly, hopefully you will be able to watch in a relatively dark room with no lights behind you or in a position that they will not reflect off the screen. This screen is VERY reflective.
You know, it actually never bothered me when I would see the lights along my couch in the TV's side....but no, I only have windows on 1 side of my apartment and that's about 10 feet away from the TV on the East side of the room so sunlight only enters in the morning.

What I am most interested in is getting a good backlighting LED kit because I do watch lots of TV at night in the dark. I had Ambilight on the Philips and besides the LED strips I saw years ago I now see they have some sort of dynamic, adjusts-to-the-TV LED kits:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lightpack-Am...item51c9e8bd0e

Anybody have any thoughts on good backlighting kits (and simple is best ! ), let me know.
post #192 of 243 Old 05-16-2015, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

And Karnog, thanks for taking the time to respond and give me some pointers !! Looking forward to maximizing/optimizing my new plasma in the days/weeks ahead.
post #193 of 243 Old 05-16-2015, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post

Do DYNAMIC, MOVIE, and STANDARD each keep their own settings ? No other modes available, just those 3 ? And once you change them, it overrides (i.e., if I have STANDARD and adjust the brightness just for an older movie, I have to change it back after that movie right ?).
I use MOVIE mode and haven't really messed around with my settings after getting them where I want them (other than occasional tweaks for a certain show/movie or due to lighting in the room). My experience is each setting retains what you change them to and you would have to change it back if you wanted to retain the default setting for that mode. Having said that, I also believe each input will retain the settings for that input (i.e. HDMI1 will retain its own 3 picture mode settings and HDMI2 will retain its own 3 picture mode settings), effectively providing 6 sets of settings for HDMI.

Also, I read in a thread on this forum somewhere that there are a two "hidden" picture modes that can be used to save 2 more sets of settings, although I can't find what thread I read it in. They apparently are meant to be used by service technicians.

Quote:

Truthfully, no. But again.....while I don't want to dismiss PQ, I am a guy coming from 2006 720p technology and before that a mid-1990's 27"/32" CRT. So I just watched an NHL game I had on the DVR (using component cables; my cable box needs to be returned for me to use HDMI) and it didn't look that bad.

What exactly do you mean by 'washed out' ?
Glad to hear you weren't bothered by the look of the game you watched on DVD. By washed out I mean that for some people the white doesn't look as white as you would think it should, it has a grayish look once you get to about 50% or more of the screen having to render white. It's a power consumption issue with plasmas.

Quote:

Anybody have any thoughts on good backlighting kits (and simple is best ! ), let me know.
I have never used backlighting, so I can't help you there. Sounds like something I might want to look into though!

Anyway, congrats on the new set! I love mine and think it is an amazing value. Enjoy it!
post #194 of 243 Old 05-16-2015, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnog View Post
I have never used backlighting, so I can't help you there. Sounds like something I might want to look into though!
In a dark room, it is not only easier on the eyes, it enhances the viewing experience. Growing up, my grandfather used to always tell me not to watch TV in a dark room so he would turn on a light near the TV. But then you'd have a bright light near the TV....with bigger HDTVs if you locate the light back away from the TV, you see the reflection.

That's why I loved the Ambilight.

Even a constant, non-dynamic LED kit will give a nice glow on the wall (my Philips was stand-mounted about 1 foot from the wall and still had a nice immersion effect).

When I get mine, I'll report back, Karnog.
post #195 of 243 Old 05-16-2015, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
Nope, F5300B blacks actually measure a bit better than the F8500.
Stupid question.....how does one actually 'see' darker blacks ? And where do you see the benefit ?

I think when I first came to AVS like 10 years ago someone mentioned that in the tunnel scene to "The Rock" if you didn't have good blacks you couldn't see the outlines of the people as they crawled against the tunnel/sewer walls or something like that. And I guess if I am watching an astronomy video or TV program and it involves shots of the Milky Way Galaxy you want it to look black and not a grayish-black.

But other than that, I'd be interested in hearing why good blacks are important, how they measure it, and how the new OLEDs do vs. the last and best of the plasmas and the best of the new LED LCDs.
post #196 of 243 Old 05-16-2015, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3837 Post(s)
Liked: 3775
How dark a tv can get has a huge impact on contrast ratio which is important in all types of content. A set with poor contrast ratio lacks pop and depth.
post #197 of 243 Old 05-16-2015, 04:59 PM

I have my set calibrated on all three (and yes, they each keep their own settings) people put down Dynamic, but I find it works quite well during the day, (especially if it's calibrated properly) when we have the blinds open and it's very bright in the room.
Keep in mind that following sometimes else's settings (while will be better than the out of the box settings) will not be optimal. Everyone has different lighting in their home and will be better off calibrating their set for their particular surroundings.
The settings provided in the links above will definitely get you "close", but I can tell you that some of my settings where quite different in some of my menus.

Yes the pentile display will be noticeable during certain programming, but as long as you sit further away than 6 feet, you won't even notice it. We sit about 9-10 feet away and it's an amazing picture with no noticeable screen door effect.

I love the back lighting kit I installed on ours and it makes an amazing difference at night with all the lights off. This is the kit I purchased at Lowes. for less than 50 bucks. Home Depot has a small selection "in store", but Lowes has a much larger selection at a much better price. While you can find some great deals online, I wanted to look at them in person and get a feel for the brightness in store. Lowes has a display with each if then set up. While you obviously can't see them in a dark room, you can get an idea of how bright they are. When choosing a back lighting kit for the 5300, you definitely want a kit that utilizes 4 strips of lighting, one for each edge of the display. I would have liked to get the kit that came with a remote, but I was able to attach the wired controller that comes with this kit to the bottom corner of my set, and it's worked out quite well for me. (I would still recommend getting one with a remote.)

S5 tap'n
post #198 of 243 Old 05-16-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
I have my set calibrated on all three (and yes, they each keep their own settings) people put down Dynamic, but I find it works quite well during the day, (especially if it's calibrated properly) when we have the blinds open and it's very bright in the room.
Keep in mind that following sometimes else's settings (while will be better than the out of the box settings) will not be optimal. Everyone has different lighting in their home and will be better off calibrating their set for their particular surroundings.
The settings provided in the links above will definitely get you "close", but I can tell you that some of my settings where quite different in some of my menus.

Yes the pentile display will be noticeable during certain programming, but as long as you sit further away than 6 feet, you won't even notice it. We sit about 9-10 feet away and it's an amazing picture with no noticeable screen door effect.

I love the back lighting kit I installed on ours and it makes an amazing difference at night with all the lights off. This is the kit I purchased at Lowes. for less than 50 bucks. Home Depot has a small selection "in store", but Lowes has a much larger selection at a much better price. While you can find some great deals online, I wanted to look at them in person and get a feel for the brightness in store. Lowes has a display with each if then set up. While you obviously can't see them in a dark room, you can get an idea of how bright they are. When choosing a back lighting kit for the 5300, you definitely want a kit that utilizes 4 strips of lighting, one for each edge of the display. I would have liked to get the kit that came with a remote, but I was able to attach the wired controller that comes with this kit to the bottom corner of my set, and it's worked out quite well for me. (I would still recommend getting one with a remote.)

S5 tap'n
Can you provide the model number for the kit? Thanks
post #199 of 243 Old 05-16-2015, 06:17 PM

Sure thing...model # HTP904E - item # 000696.

S5 tap'n
post #200 of 243 Old 05-16-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Sure thing...model # HTP904E - item # 000696.

S5 tap'n

Thank you!
post #201 of 243 Old 05-16-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Stupid question.....how does one actually 'see' darker blacks ? And where do you see the benefit ?
There are many different levels of black. I'm not sure if you use a media stick like the Roku, Firestick, or maybe a good example would be the Netflix app. The background of these are black, but not a complete pitch black. When I first picked up my Plasma (& I noticed this on my previous plasma) if you try to "eyeball" your calibration and make this black background pitch black, you will completely throw off the "normal" black levels in regular tv programming and movies.
So when you see professional reviews that talk about "deeper blacks", this is what they are talking about. Most plasmas have much deeper blacks than LCD sets, and this really helps to make your other colors pop and just provides an overall better quality picture.
post #202 of 243 Old 05-16-2015, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Audio Options: I've never focused on audio so much, pretty much been a PQ, sports viewing, and reliability guy when looking at HDTV options. But I did want to know my options with sound:

(1) What audio settings do you use ? Are there presets available ? I also watch some British programming ("Dr. Who") where the audio can sometimes be tough to hear, I often use CC. If there's an audio setting that helps improve spoken words, I am all ears (no pun intended ).

(2) Sound Bars: Never had one, are they any good ? Basically a less intrusive, more aesthetic look than having 2 speakers, right ? If these are good, would be open to suggestions (I saw a few at BB for anywhere from $250 - $500). Never did any DD on them.

If anybody has wireless speakers that are OK, let me know. I'm not looking for top-of-the-line acoustics, just an improvement over the internal speakers. So the cheaper the better.

(3) Headphones: I like to use headphones at times, but the 5300 has no audio jack (didn't know that, but would have got the TV anyway). Would getting the sound bar solve this problem for when I want to use headphones ? Any other options ?
post #203 of 243 Old 05-16-2015, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
The only downside of this panel (for me at least) is the brightness. I like to watch a lot of hockey and this panel just isn't bright enough to adequately display a hockey rink. When the screen is mostly white, is just looks dirty and gray. Otherwise, this is an excellent television and probably offers the best picture for the best price.
Hmmmm....our Clubhouse has a 70" Vizio LCD (2013 model, I believe) and I was previously watching lots of hockey on a 2006 Philips 50" which I think was 1024x768.

Saw Game 1 of Rangers-Lightning today, ice looked pretty good. Maybe not LCD-quality set to blazing bright but I didn't notice any washout.
post #204 of 243 Old 05-16-2015, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycamp5 View Post
For night time viewing, my problem is that I hate watching tv with all the lights off,so there is also quite a bit of reflection off the screen.
That's where backlighting is central....and why I miss the Ambilight on my (dated) Philips (still have the 42" in the bedroom).

I believe they now have dynamic backlighting kits that adjust to the colors on the HDTV....instead of just constant colored LEDs.
post #205 of 243 Old 05-16-2015, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Chunon, thanks for the info on 'black' levels, and I can see the deeper blacks on this when looking at black bars or black background on the Blu-Ray/TV apps/menus compared to my 50" 2006 Philips. I guess for a guy who watches mostly news programs, ESPN, sports, and action movies I never really focused that much on blacks because I'm a guy who thought his 1st and 2nd color TV's were the greatest thing ever coming fro a 19" B&W I used through the late-1970's !

CR, thanks for the backlighting info, I agree a remote would be good, maybe a universal remote can learn the IR code. Any thoughts on that dynamic LED system I linked above ?
post #206 of 243 Old 05-16-2015, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Yup...TV came a short while ago, it's a "B".

What I am most interested in is getting a good backlighting LED kit because I do watch lots of TV at night in the dark. I had Ambilight on the Philips and besides the LED strips I saw years ago I now see they have some sort of dynamic, adjusts-to-the-TV LED kits:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lightpack-Am...item51c9e8bd0e

There is a thread on bias lighting, and a couple of people used rope lights taped around the back of the tv. Very cheap, and effective. A couple of people just used a CFB pointing from the back, like a clamp light or something. I'll see of I can find the thread for you.
post #207 of 243 Old 05-16-2015, 09:02 PM

post #208 of 243 Old 05-16-2015, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Audio Options: I've never focused on audio so much, pretty much been a PQ, sports viewing, and reliability guy when looking at HDTV options. But I did want to know my options with sound:

(1) What audio settings do you use ? Are there presets available ? I also watch some British programming ("Dr. Who") where the audio can sometimes be tough to hear, I often use CC. If there's an audio setting that helps improve spoken words, I am all ears (no pun intended ).

(2) Sound Bars: Never had one, are they any good ? Basically a less intrusive, more aesthetic look than having 2 speakers, right ? If these are good, would be open to suggestions (I saw a few at BB for anywhere from $250 - $500). Never did any DD on them.

If anybody has wireless speakers that are OK, let me know. I'm not looking for top-of-the-line acoustics, just an improvement over the internal speakers. So the cheaper the better.

(3) Headphones: I like to use headphones at times, but the 5300 has no audio jack (didn't know that, but would have got the TV anyway). Would getting the sound bar solve this problem for when I want to use headphones ? Any other options ?
I don't know if you want a streaming device, but the Roku 3 has a headphone jack on the remote, and it comes with some basic earphones. It's also a game controller, I think. (you like to game, right?) https://www.roku.com/products/roku-3

http://www.cnet.com/products/roku-3/
post #209 of 243 Old 05-16-2015, 09:48 PM

The kit I have listed above has an option where it will change from color to color on it's own by slowly fading in a new color, pulse with the beat of the music or programming, or you can simply choose from a number of different solid or pulsing colors. After a couple months of using it, I've found that off white works the best for all programming. Obviously you may have different tastes, but the only other colors I could tolerate for extended periods was blue or purple.
My ambient lighting kit simply does a great job at rounding out my home theatre setup by being both attractive and functional. Preventing eye fatigue when watching tv with all the lights off is icing on the proverbial cake.

S5 tap'n
post #210 of 243 Old 05-17-2015, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

If your using just the television speakers use standard, go to sound effect turn dts trusurround and dts trudialog to ON. Go to equalizer, leave 100hz and 1khz to default. turn all the others up to one notch below the max.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page