Which plasma to get? F8500? F5300? H5000? LG? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 62Likes

post #31 of 87 Old 01-07-2015, 02:12 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1666
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
Even on the F5300 without pentile there's no way the F8500 would've won the VE Shootout last year for color accuracy if Samsung's cheap plasmas rival the PQ of the F8500.
A blind comparsion of a fully calibrated 51F5300B vs. full-calibrated 51F8500, set to the same peak white points, and viewed from multiple positions/angles in a room with controlled lighting would be an interesting contest.

I know which one I'd pick, because I've adjusted and looked pretty closely at both displays in similar circumstances. But I wonder which one the so-called "experts" would choose. Maybe the better vertical angle of view would sway a few more votes in the F5300's direction.
StinDaWg likes this.

ADU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 87 Old 01-07-2015, 02:13 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post
I had the 60F5300 and returned it only because I was able to get the 60F8500. The F5300 is a great set with inky blacks but looks better in a dark room. In a bright room you also get the glare from lack of AR filter. The F8500 gets brighter therefore the the pic does not get washed out. One thing I can point out is the F8500 has much better color saturation. The F5300 had too much green tint on Warm 2 setting. As others have mentioned it depends on how much you are willing/can spend. Having said that the F5300 is a great set if you are on a budget. Hey it's a plasma!
The F5300 has the same white balance and gamut controls as the F8500, so there shouldn't really be a significant difference between the two in terms of color accuracy, after a proper calibration.

The F8500 may have a little better color uniformity. But the F5300 has no angular issues, or AR filter effecting the display's color/brightness output to contend with, so it's arguably the easier display to calibrate imo.
StinDaWg likes this.

ADU
post #33 of 87 Old 01-07-2015, 02:16 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
And the color accuracy is far superior on the F8500 which is one of the reasons it won accolades in the VE shootout last year and the prior year.
See my last two posts above.

ADU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 87 Old 01-07-2015, 02:25 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Movie theaters have a small amount of diffused lighting that makes it possible to see around you after your eyes have adjusted to the darkness, but not enough light to impact the image on the screen.

I have no problem replicating that environment in my family room without creating any distracting reflections from my PN60F5350B. It just requires a little thought and effort to adjust the lighting so it doesn't impact the image on the screen. Since I have a lot of experience with front projection, that's no problem for me.

I have no doubt that the F8500 is superior, especially in ambient light. But since I see no reflections when viewing at night, and since I do all of my critical viewing at night, any minor improvement in night viewing that the F8500 might have was not worth the additional cost to me.

Different people in different situations might arrive at different conclusions, but that doesn't mean that one is more right than the other. We all know what works for ourselves but can't know what's best for others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
NardoW12, at 6.5-7 feet you're starting to get into the range where pentile could be more of an issue. Consensus seems to be that only a few have a problem with pentile at more than 8 feet. While many report not having issues from as close as 7 feet, at 6.5-7 feet you should probably try to view a pentile screen in a showroom from that distance to see if you have any issues. Even the slightest hint of SDE drives some people nuts.
^ Very sound advice imho. 6.5-7 feet is probably also close enough for some people (like me) to be distracted by the limited vertical angle of view on the F8500.

The OP implied that his viewing distance would be greater than ("at least" were his words) 6.5-7 feet though, which could make some difference.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 01-07-2015 at 02:50 PM.
post #35 of 87 Old 01-07-2015, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post
A blind comparsion of a fully calibrated 51F5300B vs. full-calibrated 51F8500, set to the same peak white points, and viewed from multiple positions/angles in a room with controlled lighting would be an interesting contest.

I know which one I'd pick, because I've adjusted and looked pretty closely at both displays in similar circumstances. But I wonder which one the so-called "experts" would choose. Maybe the better vertical angle of view would sway a few more votes in the F5300's direction.
But that makes no sense because what you're saying basically is "Let's "fix" the F5300 "properly" and make sure the "proper" lighting is set and set ourselves in a "proper" viewing angle, blah blah blah. Sure, you can do much of that with an LCD and make it "appear" close to the best Plasma....if sitting in the "proper" direction of the TV. And those "so-called" experts as you put it, ARE experts. D-Nice was one of those "so-called" experts judging the F8500. What is your point here? Seems like you're trying (honestly failing) to make something low-end appear to be just as good as the high-end. Be realistic about things. Oy vey.
post #36 of 87 Old 01-07-2015, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 72
This guy ADU going on about the F5300 has failed to reveal - admit or just mention that the 5300 is a dull dull picture in the slightest of light ... go check it out ...ZERO pop ...

In a dark movie room? I'm sure it looks good ..but few Plasma's wouldn't ....

It's a Cheap low frills panel at a low price and big screen ...
post #37 of 87 Old 01-07-2015, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Lol, what's with all the trash talking people? The F5300 and H5000 are excellent sets with fantastic bang for the buck. If you are going to view either of them in a light controlled room, you basically overcome all their drawbacks. My 60F5300 calibrates beautifully (you can see the charts in my sig) and it easily hits 35ftL for dark room viewing with a max output of ~42ftL for bright room viewing. In daylight/bright room viewing, as others have pointed out, it certainly struggles a bit due to the lack of AR coating and lower peak luminance in comparison to the F8500. With that being said, it certainly doesn't make the TV unusable in daylight viewing as long as you don't have a bright light source opposite to the TV and behind the viewer. The F8500 is clearly superior in a well lit room and I don't think anyone is debating or arguing that point. The AR filter coupled with the higher peak luminance of the panel makes it the best "daytime" performing plasma panel made to date.

To ADU's original point, I think there is minimal to no advantage to an F8500 when it comes to picture quality in a dark room setting. The AR filter is unnecessary in such viewing situations and limits vertical viewing angles. Color accuracy and peak luminance are non-issues for both sets as they calibrate really well and can easily hit luminance range targets for dark room viewing. Both support 96Hz playback (CinemaSmooth) and the only real differentiator is that the F8500 supports motion interpolation, if you are one of the few folks who actually like it. This isn't an "attack" on the F8500, it's just stating that the cheaper sets are capable of achieving an equally magnificent picture and viewing experience in light controlled situations.

If you are sitting at around 7ft or closer, then the pentile subpixel layout becomes an issue due to SDE on the 60F5300, or the H5000 and the F8500 would definitely be the only set to consider for closer viewing distances.

Lastly, in a light controlled situation, the F5300B and H5000 actually have outstanding black levels and perform better than older F8500 sets, so they certainly aren't crappy/cheap plasmas that can't "cut it" when it comes to comparisons against the more expensive F8500.

Source: Zoyd's excellent work in compiling black level v/s APL

If I were the OP, I would much rather buy a 60 or 64" TV than a 51F8500. The jump from 51 -> 60 or 64 makes far more impact than having all the bells and whistles that come along with the F8500, especially when you plan on doing all your critical viewing in dark room settings. If, on the other hand, you can afford an equal sized F8500, then it's a no brainer to pick one up over the F5300B or H5000. If you do go with the F5300B or H5000, do make sure you check out the TV beforehand at a store at the viewing distance you plan to view at. If you are at exactly 7.5 ft, the SDE may be an issue depending on how good your vision is and how sensitive you are to it.
QuiGonJosh, ADU, StinDaWg and 3 others like this.

LG OLED 77C9 | Yamaha RX-V375 | SVS PB12-NSD

Last edited by orion2001; 01-13-2015 at 07:53 AM.
post #38 of 87 Old 01-07-2015, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post

If you are sitting at around 7ft or closer, then the pentile subpixel layout becomes and issue due to SDE on the 60F5300, or the H5000 and the F8500 would definitely be the only set to consider for closer viewing distances.

I have a 60F5300B and sit exactly 6ft from the screen and the pentile layout is not that bad. The purpose of my TV though is only for late night XBOX games and the occasional BluRay... Its not my main TV... its on the wall above my bed
post #39 of 87 Old 01-07-2015, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I returned the 5300b to get a 8500 because of the ar filter as my house lets in light - although I work late so I only watch dark except weekends.

I also bought a meter and learned calibration so this makes a comparison difficult, but the 8500 is much better than the 5300b. Again, the calibration might be the reason.

Also for those with vertical viewing challenges, I also had this. My plasma sits above the fireplace, and being 60 inches, its pretty high up. I went and got the sanos (i think brand?) full motion mount that extends away from wall with a 12 degree tilt.... this made a HUGE difference.

My only complaint is the buzzing.. but the PQ more than makes up for it.
ADU likes this.
post #40 of 87 Old 01-07-2015, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Lol, what's with all the trash talking people? The F5300 and H5000 are excellent sets with fantastic bang for the buck. If you are going to view either of them in a light controlled room, you basically overcome all their drawbacks. My 60F5300 calibrates beautifully (you can see the charts in my sig) and it easily hits 35ftL for dark room viewing with a max output of ~42ftL for bright room viewing. In daylight/bright room viewing, as others have pointed out, it certainly struggles a bit due to the lack of AR coating and lower peak luminance in comparison to the F8500. With that being said, it certainly doesn't make the TV unusable in daylight viewing as long as you don't have a bright light source opposite to the TV and behind the viewer. The F8500 is clearly superior in a well lit room and I don't think anyone is debating or arguing that point. The AR filter coupled with the higher peak luminance of the panel makes it the best "daytime" performing plasma panel made to date.

To ADU's original point, I think there is minimal to no advantage to an F8500 when it comes to picture quality in a dark room setting. The AR filter is unnecessary in such viewing situations and limits vertical viewing angles. Color accuracy and peak luminance are non-issues for both sets as they calibrate really well and can easily hit luminance range targets for dark room viewing. Both support 96Hz playback (CinemaSmooth) and the only real differentiator is that the F8500 supports motion interpolation, if you are one of the few folks who actually like it. This isn't an "attack" on the F8500, it's just stating that the cheaper sets are capable of achieving an equally magnificent picture and viewing experience in light controlled situations.

If you are sitting at around 7ft or closer, then the pentile subpixel layout becomes and issue due to SDE on the 60F5300, or the H5000 and the F8500 would definitely be the only set to consider for closer viewing distances.

Lastly, in a light controlled situation, the F5300B and H5000 actually have outstanding black levels and perform better than older F8500 sets, so they certainly aren't crappy/cheap plasmas that can't "cut it" when it comes to comparisons against the more expensive F8500.

Source: Zoyd's excellent work in compiling black level v/s APL

If I were the OP, I would much rather buy a 60 or 64" TV than a 51F8500. The jump from 51 -> 60 or 64 makes far more impact than having all the bells and whistles that come along with the F8500, especially when you plan on doing all your critical viewing in dark room settings. If, on the other hand, you can afford an equal sized F8500, then it's a no brainer to pick one up over the F5300B or H5000. If you do go with the F5300B or H5000, do make sure you check out the TV beforehand at a store at the viewing distance you plan to view at. If you are at exactly 7.5 ft, the SDE may be an issue depending on how good your vision is and how sensitive you are to it.
Well said. I've been enjoying my H5000 thus far and don't feel like I'm "slumming" it at all. It's got great blacks, perfect uniformity, excellent motion, all the things you get with a good plasma. Sure, in a bright room the AR filter makes a big difference and the 8500 kills it. But, sorry, I never have watched TV with any level of seriousness in a sunny, bright room. Why would you? I've never even understood that being a "pro" for LCDs.... They work great in super bright rooms. Who cares? I sure don't.

The penntile thing is pretty over rated but I'll concede that I could see that bothering some people. Don't buy one then. Otherwise, I do find that there seems to be a little dare I say "snobbery" when it comes to folks comparing the f8500 to its little brothers. IMO, for what the sets cost, the H5000 and 5300 are better values. And, I can actually buy the latter two where the 8500 in 64" is VERY elusive or I may have tried to buy one for the right price.

It's all good, plasma guys.

GROUP HUG!
ADU, StinDaWg and Quentin2 like this.

Samsung PN64H5000
LG BP 540
Sony DH550 AVR
Polk Tsi, RSi, Bookshelves & PSW sub-woofer
post #41 of 87 Old 01-07-2015, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1926 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoomba View Post
I returned the 5300b to get a 8500 because of the ar filter as my house lets in light - although I work late so I only watch dark except weekends.

I also bought a meter and learned calibration so this makes a comparison difficult, but the 8500 is much better than the 5300b. Again, the calibration might be the reason.

Also for those with vertical viewing challenges, I also had this. My plasma sits above the fireplace, and being 60 inches, its pretty high up. I went and got the sanos (i think brand?) full motion mount that extends away from wall with a 12 degree tilt.... this made a HUGE difference.

Can you please share your calibration settings?
post #42 of 87 Old 01-07-2015, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 959
Quote:
^ Very sound advice imho. 6.5-7 feet is probably also close enough for some people (like me) to be distracted by the limited vertical angle of view on the F8500.
Why would the vertical viewing angle at 6.5 ft. from an F8500 be distracting unless you are sitting above or below the TV and if that is the case then your TV is not setup in the correct location as your seating. If you mount it higher, then get a mount that swivels down, if you sit higher then the TV then that's just weird.
Blue Rain and HLdan like this.
post #43 of 87 Old 01-07-2015, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 3953 Post(s)
Liked: 3124
People who spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a Ferrari get upset when others talk about spending a fraction of that on a Corvette and getting near-Ferrari performance.
post #44 of 87 Old 01-08-2015, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W3Rman View Post
I have a 60F5300B and sit exactly 6ft from the screen and the pentile layout is not that bad. The purpose of my TV though is only for late night XBOX games and the occasional BluRay... Its not my main TV... its on the wall above my bed
Yeah, it isn't bad at all, but at that distance it can be noticeable, especially if you look for it. To be honest, it is much harder to see in regular videos/movies due to the moving pictures and the fact that you don't usually have large patches of a single color on screen. But this is Avsforum where most of us are far more nit picky than the average Joe, so by AVS standards, it's probably best to recommend being a bit wary about potential SDE at closer than 7ft viewing distances . Also, I think for the 64" H5000, it would be a tad bit more noticeable for the same viewing distance, so I figured ~7.5 ft is a good threshold at which point you want to make sure that it won't bother you if you do purchase one.

Quote:

Thanks for your input. If you are comparing both to each other for dark room viewing, could you comment on what you liked better? My gut feeling is that it might be more to do with the calibration. I also know for a fact that the out of box settings on the F5300B are completely atrocious (Sharpness = 50, are you kidding me?). But I do know from personal experience and from chatting with a lot of forum members on the F5300 thread that the B models calibrate really well, so I don't see how they would be much different to a calibrated F8500 in terms of "pop", color accuracy or overall brightness (if calibrated to recommended ~32FtL for dark room viewing). I do totally understand the improvement the AR filter on the F8500 offers when you have ambient lighting and there are certainly occasions when I do wish I had the AR filter on my set...but then I always remind myself that with my budget, I'd have had a 51" F8500 and that there was no way I was going to give up the amazing experience of watching movies on my 60 incher for a 51" TV just to have an AR filter for the few times I watch anything critical during the day
StinDaWg and W3Rman like this.

post #45 of 87 Old 01-08-2015, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I managed to order an open box 60" F8500 from Amazon Warehouse Deal.

Hopefully it doesn't have any problems but at least Amazon's got a pretty good return policy and customer service.
post #46 of 87 Old 01-08-2015, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by NardoW12 View Post
I have been a diehard fan of plasma TVs....from the Pioneer PDP-5030HD from about 10 years ago to the KRP-500M I bought in late 2009.

Well now it's time for me to get another plasma before they are completely gone and I'm having a hard time picking one...

Budget is about $1500 top, don't need the smartTV or 3D stuff, just picture quality and size.

I have an Amazon order for a 51inch F8500, or I have the option of buying a new 60inch F8500 from a friend for $1600.

The other options would be to get a 64inch Samsung H5000 (pentile panel?) or maybe a 60inch F5300 (not sure if pentile or not)

or maybe get a 60inch LG PB6600/6650/6900?

I'm having a hard time finding definite information regarding which of the plasmas are pentile or not...other than F8500 being non-pentile and H5000 being pentile...if anyone could comment on the pentile/non-pentile and picture quality of the F5300 and LG models, I would really appreciate your help
If you are really a diehard plasma fan, spend your money on one of the best plasma TVs the F8500 which ever size you choose. I'm not normally a samsung fan, but I guess even they get something right once and a while. Such a nice panel!
HLdan likes this.
post #47 of 87 Old 01-08-2015, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWavePro View Post
If you are really a diehard plasma fan, spend your money on one of the best plasma TVs the F8500 which ever size you choose. I'm not normally a samsung fan, but I guess even they get something right once and a while. Such a nice panel!
Yup, I ordered a 51" F8500 from Amazon a few days ago and order another Open Box 60" F8500 from Amazon Warehouse last night, the 64 is way out of my budget but I think I will be happy with a 60" F8500 and my trusty KRP-500M
HLdan and SWavePro like this.
post #48 of 87 Old 01-09-2015, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 96
For $650 for the 60" 5300b it is close enough for me.... Enjoy the rest of your my dog is better than your dog argument.....
post #49 of 87 Old 01-09-2015, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
lol, what's with all the trash talking people? The f5300 and h5000 are excellent sets with fantastic bang for the buck. If you are going to view either of them in a light controlled room, you basically overcome all their drawbacks. My 60f5300 calibrates beautifully (you can see the charts in my sig) and it easily hits 35ftl for dark room viewing with a max output of ~42ftl for bright room viewing.

To adu's original point, i think there is minimal to no advantage to an f8500 when it comes to picture quality in a dark room setting. The ar filter is unnecessary in such viewing situations and limits vertical viewing angles. Color accuracy and peak luminance are non-issues for both sets as they calibrate really well and can easily hit luminance range targets for dark room viewing. Both support 96hz playback (cinemasmooth) and the only real differentiator is that the f8500 supports motion interpolation, if you are one of the few folks who actually like it. This isn't an "attack" on the f8500, it's just stating that the cheaper sets are capable of achieving an equally magnificent picture and viewing experience in light controlled situations.

Lastly, in a light controlled situation, the f5300b and h5000 actually have outstanding black levels and perform better than older f8500 sets, so they certainly aren't crappy/cheap plasmas that can't "cut it" when it comes to comparisons against the more expensive f8500.

If i were the op, i would much rather buy a 60 or 64" tv than a 51f8500. The jump from 51 -> 60 or 64 makes far more impact than having all the bells and whistles that come along with the f8500, especially when you plan on doing all your critical viewing in dark room settings.
QFT

Buy the larger F8500 if you can afford it and need its bright room performance, but there's no way in hell I'm going back down to a 51" set, ever, even if it was an OLED for $1000.

Last edited by StinDaWg; 01-09-2015 at 09:29 AM.
post #50 of 87 Old 01-09-2015, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yup, I ordered a 51" F8500 from Amazon a few days ago and order another Open Box 60" F8500 from Amazon Warehouse last night, the 64 is way out of my budget but I think I will be happy with a 60" F8500 and my trusty KRP-500M
Congratulations! Be sure to post back with your impressions once you have a chance to play with the TV. Btw, are you just going to return the 51" or are you going to end up owning both sets?

post #51 of 87 Old 01-09-2015, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Congratulations! Be sure to post back with your impressions once you have a chance to play with the TV. Btw, are you just going to return the 51" or are you going to end up owning both sets?
Not I'm not planning on keeping both the 51" and 60" F8500. One of my friend is interested in buying the 51", so I'm going to sell it to him or just sell it on Craigslist, I know I won't lose any money on it
post #52 of 87 Old 01-09-2015, 12:34 PM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCARCIO View Post
For $650 for the 60" 5300b it is close enough for me.... Enjoy the rest of your my dog is better than your dog argument.....
Where did you find it for $650?
post #53 of 87 Old 01-09-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post
Can you please share your calibration settings?
They are in the settings thread but I do not think they would fit you since every set is different. Without a meter, you won't know what settings work and dont. I have not seen 1 pair of settings that match a different set.
post #54 of 87 Old 01-09-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it isn't bad at all, but at that distance it can be noticeable, especially if you look for it. To be honest, it is much harder to see in regular videos/movies due to the moving pictures and the fact that you don't usually have large patches of a single color on screen. But this is Avsforum where most of us are far more nit picky than the average Joe, so by AVS standards, it's probably best to recommend being a bit wary about potential SDE at closer than 7ft viewing distances . Also, I think for the 64" H5000, it would be a tad bit more noticeable for the same viewing distance, so I figured ~7.5 ft is a good threshold at which point you want to make sure that it won't bother you if you do purchase one.

Thanks for your input. If you are comparing both to each other for dark room viewing, could you comment on what you liked better? My gut feeling is that it might be more to do with the calibration. I also know for a fact that the out of box settings on the F5300B are completely atrocious (Sharpness = 50, are you kidding me?). But I do know from personal experience and from chatting with a lot of forum members on the F5300 thread that the B models calibrate really well, so I don't see how they would be much different to a calibrated F8500 in terms of "pop", color accuracy or overall brightness (if calibrated to recommended ~32FtL for dark room viewing). I do totally understand the improvement the AR filter on the F8500 offers when you have ambient lighting and there are certainly occasions when I do wish I had the AR filter on my set...but then I always remind myself that with my budget, I'd have had a 51" F8500 and that there was no way I was going to give up the amazing experience of watching movies on my 60 incher for a 51" TV just to have an AR filter for the few times I watch anything critical during the day

You are right - the 5300b was nice in a dark room, but I like a lamp or so on since its my family room. It was a nice set, but there was something off.. it seemed a bit dull to me and iv always had plasmas. HOWEVER, I never did a real calibration with a meter.

With that said, out of the box with basic settings, I feel that the 8500 had better pop, im sure because of the better light and contrast. With calibration, it seems much nicer.
post #55 of 87 Old 01-10-2015, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchorage View Post
Where did you find it for $650?
About 3 weeks ago HH Gregg had it for $650 so I went to Best Buy and they price matched it.
post #56 of 87 Old 01-10-2015, 02:07 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I wouldn't use either display in a completely dark room...
Someone dropped me a PM to ask for an explanation of the above comment. This was my response (in case anyone else may be interested)...

"IMO, you'll get better PQ and less eyestrain with most flat panel displays in a room with some modest lighting. A lamp (with a dark shade) on either side of the display is sufficient. The only flat panel I'd consider using in a dark room is an OLED.

The blacks aren't too bad on the Samsung plasmas for a flat panel. But they aren't deep enough to actually look "black" in a dark room. The whites are also too bright (esp. on the smaller models) for dark room viewing imo. And lowering the white levels to a more comfortable level will reduce the display's contrast ratio.

For best PQ and eye comfort, I try to keep the general light levels behind and around the display close to the average picture level (APL) of video over time. That is close to a 15% stimulus gray on the screen. Works pretty well for me."
montanaman and ChadThunder like this.

ADU
post #57 of 87 Old 01-10-2015, 02:25 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You are right - the 5300b was nice in a dark room, but I like a lamp or so on since its my family room. It was a nice set, but there was something off.. it seemed a bit dull to me and iv always had plasmas. HOWEVER, I never did a real calibration with a meter.

With that said, out of the box with basic settings, I feel that the 8500 had better pop, im sure because of the better light and contrast. With calibration, it seems much nicer.
Calibrated is usually better than un-.

Well-positioned/arranged lamps or lights will actually improve the PQ (esp. perceived black depth) on both the F5300 and F8500 imo. You have to be a little more careful with the positioning of lights around the F5300 though, to keep most of the illumination from directly or indirectly hitting the screen.

I use a couple of floor lamps with dark shades on either side of my current TV (a CRT which also has a fairly reflective screen), and a subtle daylight fill behind it. And would probably use a similar arrangement with a plasma TV. Works very well.

ADU
post #58 of 87 Old 01-10-2015, 03:08 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Check for stuck pixels and burn-in (visible as subtle shadows, or "dirtiness" on all white or gray screens) on the open-item. Two common reasons for returns. Also check hours of use. The more hours, the greater the chances of burn-in.

If you're doin a flat wall mount, try to keep the center of the TV screen as close to your typical viewing eye level when seated as possible, to minimize the vertical angle issues on the F8500. Or use an angle mount, as others have suggested, to improve the line of sight.

The farther you sit from the F8500, the less noticeable AOV issues will be, but also the less immersive the picture. Find a good balance that gives you more of what you want (immersion vs. AOV/PQ).

Using the TV in a room with carpet, drapes, cloth- rather than leather-covered seating, or other "sound-deadening" materials may help to reduce the buzz, if that bothers you.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 01-11-2015 at 07:01 PM.
post #59 of 87 Old 01-10-2015, 03:14 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCARCIO View Post
I don't currently own a dog. Still havin trouble decidin which "breed" (plasma, LED, etc.) to get.

ADU
post #60 of 87 Old 01-10-2015, 10:46 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 63
ADU nailed it about room lighting I use halogen pilot lamps because they have a perfect color rendering index (CRI), don't cause reflections and they are cheap to run all the time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page