The HDMI input box TY-FB8HM for my Panny 42-PH9UK - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-18-2015, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The HDMI input box TY-FB8HM for my Panny 42-PH9UK

My panny currently has one of these installed as an HDMI input and I'm looking to add another box just like it for a 2nd HDMI input. So I google TY-FB8HM to see where to buy these things and come up on some warning about using this device will limit your TV's resolution, and some other complaints. I believe my TV is only rated up to 720p anyway, but not entirely sure.

Would someone who is more familiar with these type devices than myself recommend that I go ahead and get another one of these for my new input, or is there another model I should be looking at?

Also, what's the best place to source this kind of thing. Most of the hits I came up with for this model were listed in English Pounds.

Thanks!

TY-FB8HM HDMI Terminal Board...
http://panasonic.net/prodisplays/dow...t/TY_FB8HM.pdf

Last edited by bradleyheathhays; 02-18-2015 at 10:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-21-2015, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

anybody?
post #3 of 9 Old 02-22-2015, 12:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Per the specifications for your display:
ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasoni...TH-9Series.pdf

The TY-FB8HM accepts HD resolutions of 720p and 1080i, but not 1080p. However, your screen resolution is 1024x768, so you wouldn't benefit from 1080p anyway.

Your buying options will be very limited due to the age of the unit. You could try keeping an eye on eBay, as used parts will show up from time to time. Alternately, you might want to consider purchasing an HDMI switch (or HDMI-equipped AV receiver) instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-22-2015, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyheathhays View Post
My panny currently has one of these installed as an HDMI input and I'm looking to add another box just like it for a 2nd HDMI input. So I google TY-FB8HM to see where to buy these things and come up on some warning about using this device will limit your TV's resolution, and some other complaints. I believe my TV is only rated up to 720p anyway, but not entirely sure.
Your Pro Monitor (it's actually not a TV) panel is 768p, not 720p. All input resolutions are scaled to 768p.

There is no issue with adding a 2nd TY-FB8HM HDMI terminal board, it will function exactly like your existing one. All input signals will still be scaled to the panel's 768p native resolution.

Quote:
Would someone who is more familiar with these type devices than myself recommend that I go ahead and get another one of these for my new input, or is there another model I should be looking at?
There is no other model of terminal board that will work on a 9 series Pro Monitor. IIRC there was a Dual-HDMI board for the newer 10 series monitors, but they are not backward-compatible with the older 9 series so if you see one of these, don't buy it as it wont work in your monitor.

Quote:
Also, what's the best place to source this kind of thing. Most of the hits I came up with for this model were listed in English Pounds.
The TY-FB8HM has been hard to find for several years now. You could try contacting some independent business-focused AV installation contractors (that install monitors in office buildings, airports, board rooms, and conference rooms etc) as they may have new or used TY-FB8HM terminal boards they'd be willing to sell you, but in this day of HDMI devices this board is probably still in high demand. The TY-FB8HM board is the same whether it was used in Europe or North America so if you find one from overseas, it will work.

In the meantime, i second dingo99's recommendation of an HDMI switch - i've used them on some installs and they work fine. Some have a remote and some have just manual pushbuttons on the unit (both these work well), but some are auto-sensing and i've had mixed luck with the auto-sensing feature so don't count on one working reliably depending on your source devices.

What are all the devices you're connecting to this monitor? If you're just trying to add an additional High Def input and it doesn't necessarily have to be via HDMI, the existing PC input on your monitor can be reconfigured in the settings menu from PC to RGB for use as a 2nd Component Input, then you can get an inexpensive Component-to-VGA Breakout Cable to connect a cable box etc to the monitor with Component Video, freeing up your existing HDMI input for an HDMI-only device (like a Blu-Ray player). In my experience there is virtually no picture quality improvement provided by HDMI vs Component on a 768p display so if one of your devices is a cable box or sat receiver, Component Video would suffice for that.

But if you absolutely have to have 2 HDMI inputs (or more), i'd just get a good switcher and continue the hunt for the HDMI board.

Randy
Sony XBR-55X900E, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Darbee DVP-5000S, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - https://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #5 of 9 Old 02-28-2015, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry so late getting back here but I really would like to thanks both you guys for all the great information!

Right now I only have my sat leading to the monitor, which uses the one HDMI input. Ultimately I'd like to connect all three...my sat, blue-ray player, and computer. In addition to the HDMI input the monitor has component, S-video, PC, Serial, and some other additional input I'm not sure what it's called but it's two RCA audio inputs and a single RCA video input.

I was considering using Google Chromecast but if there's a better way to get my computer signal (must be wireless) to the monitor I'm all ears. My sat and blue-ray are physically together so it sounds like I can join these two with a HDMI switch and then try to run the computer signal into one of the other inputs. Or maybe I should just get a 3-input HDMI switch and plug the Chromecast in there.

If there's a better way to do all this please do let me know. Also, any suggestion for a decent switch manufacturer or particular model?
post #6 of 9 Old 03-01-2015, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyheathhays View Post
Sorry so late getting back here but I really would like to thanks both you guys for all the great information!

Right now I only have my sat leading to the monitor, which uses the one HDMI input. Ultimately I'd like to connect all three...my sat, blue-ray player, and computer. In addition to the HDMI input the monitor has component, S-video, PC, Serial, and some other additional input I'm not sure what it's called but it's two RCA audio inputs and a single RCA video input.
If that single RCA Video jack is yellow then that is the old standard def "Composite Video" input (like on the old DVD Players and VCRs before S-Video came out) and only accepts a 480i signal. It was the first type of external video input to appear on higher end TVs (which up to that only had the single RF antenna input), and these new TVs were advertised as "TV Monitors" back then to let consumers know it had this new input. It was also an excuse for me to upgrade my big 21" Tube TV to a big screen 26" back in the early 80's Ah, memories........

Quote:
I was considering using Google Chromecast but if there's a better way to get my computer signal (must be wireless) to the monitor I'm all ears. My sat and blue-ray are physically together so it sounds like I can join these two with a HDMI switch and then try to run the computer signal into one of the other inputs. Or maybe I should just get a 3-input HDMI switch and plug the Chromecast in there. If there's a better way to do all this please do let me know. Also, any suggestion for a decent switch manufacturer or particular model?
It looks to me like the cheapest and easiest solution is to just get a Monoprice #4088 4x1 HDMI Switcher for $28 and route all your HDMI sources and Chromecast thingy through that.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_...tby=3&format=4

I used one of these for a few months while i was experimenting with various methods of HDMI source routing and switching before ultimately deciding to upgrade my 2-HDMI Surround Receiver to a 6-HDMI model and route my five (now six) sources through that. The 4088 Switcher worked very well for me (Tivo, TWC Cable DVR, Blu-Ray Player, Video from my PC) but there was a bit of a delay when switching (no biggie really), and sometimes it didn't play nice with my TWC DVR and i had to switch back and forth to re-synch it (rare). And the regular style remote is decent, it's not one of those crappy flat credit card types that stop working after a year. I also like how all the HDMI inputs and output are all on the rear, with the front panel having just indicator lights and the button.

Randy
Sony XBR-55X900E, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Darbee DVP-5000S, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - https://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #7 of 9 Old 03-02-2015, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again Randy. I'll def go with your equipment suggestion.

No doubt the Chromecast is fairly pedestrian when it comes to the systems discussed in these forums. Although it was my first thought for cheap easy wireless connectivity I'm by no means set on it.

Would there be another similarly inexpensive but better alternative for getting my computer signal to the monitor (Panny) other than the Chromecast?

Last edited by bradleyheathhays; 03-03-2015 at 12:20 AM.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-04-2015, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

bump
post #9 of 9 Old 10-08-2019, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Old thread, but I'll bite.

I am still quite proud of my TH-42PH9UK. I swear it has a better picture than my modern LCD's and it also represents the second largest sum of money I've ever spent on a screen. So, for those reasons, I'm reluctant to give it up.

HDMI connectivity has been an issue though. I bought the HDMI expansion board way back in the day, but some years ago, a nearby lightning strike fried it (along with half of the other electronics in my home). I have wanted to replace the HDMI board, but was always hesitant because of the price this item commands on the secondary market. Also, my Dish Network Hopper has component video out, so I still had a viable HD connection anyway. (I'm going optical/toslink to a receiver for audio)

This setup might have continued to work for me, but I'm strongly considering abandoning satellite and moving to Hulu/Roku only. This puts my Panasonic plasma in a bad situation. I can't find a recently release streaming box, with optical digital audio and an ethernet port. There definitely isn't an option if component video is also a requirement.

So, long story short, I remembered I have a HDMI to DVI video cord laying around. I looked online for the TY-42TM6D, which is the DVI terminal board for our Panasonic monitor, and bought one at auction for $23.20, including taxes and shipping. I installed it today and it worked perfectly. My Dish receiver is once again communicating digitally for both video and audio. The picture from the TH-42PH9UK was eye popping, consuming source video at both 720p and 1080i settings.

I write this just in the small chance it helps someone else who owns one of these fine monitors. The DVI expansion board may prove much cheaper than the HDMI one and it does the same job, assuming you only need video sent to the monitor.

As a footnote, I have a used Roku 4 on order. It has a optical audio out and I will connect my HDMI to DVI patch cord to it as well. If all goes as planned, this more than 10 year old plasma screen is going to get a new lease on life.

Last edited by gboybama; 10-08-2019 at 02:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page