• 1 Post By fierce_gt

post #1 of 14 Old 03-10-2015, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
How to best move a plasma?

I will be moving out of my current apartment soon and I'm very concerned with getting my Pioneer 50inch Kuro from point A to point B. The screen is perfect. No scratches, stuck pixels, nothing- like new.

Fortunately, I'm in NYC and I'm only moving a few blocks.
Unfortunately, living in an apartment- the original shipping box is long gone.
The new apartment is also a walk up building- which means the movers will have to lug the 50 inch screen up 5 flights around some tight stairways.

I plan on trying to find white glove movers just for the TV and explain to them how gentle I need them be. I'm so worried I might end up with a few stuck pixels.

Other than a moving box- is there anything i should wrap around the screen- before the Kuro goes into the box? Something that doesn't scratch the screen of course.

Also,
Can anyone share an experience or provide some advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-10-2015, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 428
If you could move it yourself with a friend/s, I would highly recommend that, ahead of time if you can do it on your time well rested...It's what I've done, and will do as long as my body allowes me too.

Good luck

PS:

I always keep my boxes, and I know it's not easy for everyone here in the City, Apt. dwelling.

I would use heavy moving blankets from Uline type online store, I would add bubble wrap before the heavy blankets, and then a healthy side of shrink wrap, preferably black.

Djoel
Five28 likes this.

Last edited by Djoel; 03-10-2015 at 11:49 AM.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-10-2015, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5398 Post(s)
Liked: 3816
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes View Post
I will be moving out of my current apartment soon and I'm very concerned with getting my Pioneer 50inch Kuro from point A to point B. The screen is perfect. No scratches, stuck pixels, nothing- like new.

The new apartment is also a walk up building- which means the movers will have to lug the 50 inch screen up 5 flights around some tight stairways.

I plan on trying to find white glove movers just for the TV and explain to them how gentle I need them be. I'm so worried I might end up with a few stuck pixels.

Other than a moving box- is there anything i should wrap around the screen- before the Kuro goes into the box? Something that doesn't scratch the screen of course.

Also,
Not trying to be funny, but wrap the screen in bubble wrap before putting in a moving box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 03-10-2015, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

Also,
I don't know about where you are, but out here both the U-Haul and the UPS store sell flat panel television boxes that come complete with internal spacers. They run anywhere from $20-50 depending on the size. I highly recommend getting one. They are easy to assemble, will help protect the panel in transit, and have convenient handles located on the sides to assist in lifting/manoeuvering the display.
wxman likes this.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-10-2015, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks guys.

I can't ask friends to help with this. (If anything happens I will have no one to yell at.)

Yes- I know I want to wrap the screen first- I'm just not sure what to use against the screen.
Bubble wrap will not scratch the screen.
I was thinking of using Foam roll- they have some that is anti-static. yes? no?
If I remember correctly the screen arrived draped in some type of white bag- almost a thin foam type material.

The box sounds best to me- right- or moving blankets?

thanks again
post #6 of 14 Old 03-10-2015, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5398 Post(s)
Liked: 3816
Quote:
Thanks guys.

I can't ask friends to help with this. (If anything happens I will have no one to yell at.)

Yes- I know I want to wrap the screen first- I'm just not sure what to use against the screen.
Bubble wrap will not scratch the screen.
I was thinking of using Foam roll- they have some that is anti-static. yes? no?
If I remember correctly the screen arrived draped in some type of white bag- almost a thin foam type material.

The box sounds best to me- right- or moving blankets?

thanks again
Foam wrap would be better than bubble wrap. I don't know if they sell the thin clear plastic self clinging screen protector that they cover all new panels with, but if they do, put that on the screen and then wrap with foam wrap. I guess saran wrap would do the same thing, but you would have to wrap around entire tv for it to stick. i do like the idea of the boxes from UPS/U-Haul.
post #7 of 14 Old 03-10-2015, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 428
You seem to have a general idea of how to go about the wrapping but incase you don't know, avoid putting any tape directly on the screen.

Djoel
post #8 of 14 Old 03-10-2015, 03:51 PM
D_M

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Bokes,

I've had the unfortunate pleasure of moving my Kuro a number of times. They were all local moves though. I second the suggestion of using friends or supervise the transportation of the Tv. As we all know, there aren't any more Kuros to be had. I used a U-haul club van for transportation, but a minivan from one of those rental places would be better for a 50 inch TV (mine is 60). I wrapped the Tv so that there was approximately 7 - 8 inches of bubble wrap protruding from each surface (corners, front & rear). It's probably overkill, but better to be safe. The Tv sat upright on the Tv stand in the vehicle. In order to secure the Tv from moving, I used sofa cushions, throw pillows and a tie-down strap. The tie-down strap never came in contact with the bubble wrap. The sofa cushions and throw pillows were placed in the middle
Djoel likes this.
post #9 of 14 Old 03-10-2015, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2031 Post(s)
Liked: 1924
I would recommend you try to find some medium density foam and cut it to fit around the edges of the tv, and AVOID having it touch the screen directly. you want the borders and 'structure' of the tv to support the tv inside the box, and not have anything touch the screen that may scratch it. if you look at any original packaging it's always designed this way. so I'd actually NOT bubble wrap the screen. I'd only cover it with a very soft, thin material to avoid scratches.

and like others said, I would try to be as hands on as possible. no matter what you tell the movers, they will never think of your tv as being as special as you think of your tv. half of them might even think they'd be doing you a favor by dropping the 'ancient' plasma so you can get a fancy new led...
Djoel likes this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
post #10 of 14 Old 03-11-2015, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
I would recommend you try to find some medium density foam and cut it to fit around the edges of the tv, and AVOID having it touch the screen directly. you want the borders and 'structure' of the tv to support the tv inside the box, and not have anything touch the screen that may scratch it. if you look at any original packaging it's always designed this way. so I'd actually NOT bubble wrap the screen. I'd only cover it with a very soft, thin material to avoid scratches.

and like others said, I would try to be as hands on as possible. no matter what you tell the movers, they will never think of your tv as being as special as you think of your tv. half of them might even think they'd be doing you a favor by dropping the 'ancient' plasma so you can get a fancy new led...
Good points.
and no- I would not bubble wrap the screen
I think I might get the box with the density foam.
Then use the foam wrap against that- this way the actual screen remains untouched.
Then lift into box and secure a tight fit.

I will be very hands on.
I plan on staying with that box all the way to truck.
I will supervise the placement in the truck.
I will be right alongside the box coming off the truck and up the stairs into the new apartment.
In other words- I'm going to be a pest- but I'll tip good if all goes well.

I plan to stress the level of care I require with this one item to the moving company pre-hiring.
It might be overkill- but an old woman with her glass china might feel the same way.

I will not assume anything- but I'd like to think these guys deal with neurotics everyday.

thanks again for all the tips. I'll report back on the results.
post #11 of 14 Old 03-11-2015, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 54
At least the engineer(s) who designed your set, did not have the BRILLIANT idea of having the "one sheet of glass", sitting "outside of the bezel". If you think you're neurotic, I was contemplating never moving from my current house, because I had to get rid of my Panny ZTs' boxes. I was trying to workout how much I'd need to add into the sale price to cover the cost of the sets, plus the mental/emotional damage, for having to part with them.

Seriously though, if/when the time comes, aside from over wrapping/protecting/boxing my sets, they will most likely be moved with the "Forearm Forklift" straps...given that you can never really grab it by the frame/bezel You don't want any excuses about someone "getting tired" :

post #12 of 14 Old 04-05-2015, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Move complete.
So far - no noticeable damage. I have yet to see a stuck/dead pixel.

The movers did rest the plasma flat- face down onto my sofa at one point- I quickly advised them to lift it upright.
I have heard laying a plasma flat on is not a good thing.

I will keep monitoring to see if any issues crop up.

side note- Any point in having the plasma re-calibrated?
It's been awhile and I feel now- after the move might be a good time.
My only hesitation- the move is temporary- 2 years max- at which point I might just replace the Kuro with a 4K.
post #13 of 14 Old 04-05-2015, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2031 Post(s)
Liked: 1924
good to hear.

nothing wrong with laying the plasma flat on a soft and supportive surface, it's actually a recommended step to installing the stand. the issue is doing that during transport where you can hit a bump and then crack the glass screen.

as for calibration, sure, it might be worth while, especially if it's been awhile. probably not necessary unless you notice something though. and I think '4k' has a long way to go before it'll replace your kuro

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
post #14 of 14 Old 04-06-2015, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I moved my previous plasma after purchase in the rear of an SUV while laying on it's back about 40 deg. against a bunch of soft blankets and covered by one also. 150 miles. No problems whatsoever.
We just moved it again (8 years later) and I knew I would be replacing it soon but still trusted it to the movers. It was mounted on an AV stand and very easy to unhook and re-install.
But it was heavy about 80 lbs compared to it's 45 lb replacement.
The movers handled it very carefully, as I saw it disappear into the truck. 3 hrs later they carried it out and remounted it. It worked perfectly and not a single blemish or fingerprint on the screen.
I would take a leap and say 'most' reputable movers know how to handle a flat screen these days. They would have to live on another planet if they did not. But I would probably quiz them a bit if mine was still relatively new.

Samsung PN51F8500, Emotiva MC-700, Outlaw Audio 5000, Xbox One S, Dali Ikon 6, Vokal 2, OnWall, Outlalw LMF-EX, Furman Elite pf15i. UTurn Orbit Turntable, Ortofon 2M Red cart. and a Vincent PHO 80 phone preamp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page