Samsung PN64F8500AFXZA Issues with turning on - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 217Likes

post #31 of 496 Old 07-23-2015, 11:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My PN60E7000 is now working. I sent the original power supply board to TV PARTS 4 LESS in San Antonio TX for repair. The board they sent me worked for only 2 days. They sent me a UPS label for me to return the part, and they sent another. At first, the red standby light would flash 5 times pause and then repeat. No one could explain the 5 flashes. So the TV sat on my dining room table for two weeks. I finally looked at the manual where it said this was common before startup. Problem still existed until i used the remote to turn on the tv and hooked up a dvd player. VIOLA!! Good luck to all who persist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 496 Old 07-27-2015, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I received this from Samsung in response to inquiry about parts availability.

Thank you for contacting Samsung Direct,

I do understand your concern on getting the parts that you need. Unfortunately, we only have one parts department which is J&J Parts if they don’t carry the part that you need I’m unsure where you would get the part. I would check for some reliable parts distributor using the part number that you have. I do apologize about any inconvenience at this time and have a wonderful day.

Thank you for being a Samsung Customer!

Samsung Ecommerce Customer Support

Sent: Monday, July 27, 2015 6:36 AM
To: GCCECOMM1
Subject: EMAIL FORM

Question: All other products including Wi-Fi only Tablets
First Name: Don
Last Name: Brookshire
Email:
ZipCode:
Phone No.:
Subject: Part needed: Was told part is no longer available
Content: I have Samsung TV model: PN64F8500AFXZA. I ordered the Y-SUS Board (BN96-25216A) from Samsung parts but I received an email that said the part was no longer available. My TV is only two years old and the same model Samsung TV is still being sold new on ebay. Can you advise me on what I could/should do to obtain a new part or to resolve this problem? Thank you, Don Brookshire
post #33 of 496 Old 07-27-2015, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5490 Post(s)
Liked: 3892
That's pretty bad that Samsung blew you off like that. Basically telling you that you are on your own and can't help you. I'm sure if you called Samsung, and they sent out a authorized technician, that part would somehow be available to the tech. I would be insulted by their closing line. "Thank you for being a Samsung customer!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 496 Old 07-28-2015, 05:27 AM

Received this email this morning.

Customer reference number: 2137512941
Please quote your customer reference number when contacting Samsung
Email response ID: 2137512941

Dear Don Brookshire,

Thank you for contacting Samsung. I understand that you are would like to replace the Y-SUS board on your TV model PN64F8500AFXZA and you have checked with our parts store, but it wasn't available. Please note that we at technical support do not have information about the parts availability and the part you are referring to is not a user replaceable part. However, if you wish you can replace it. You will need the service manual of the TV for the schematic diagram. You can purchase the service manual from the parts store. You can order manuals and parts by contacting our parts distributor, Samsung Parts, (also known as J&J Parts) at 1-800-627-4368 (Mon - Fri from 9:00 A.M to 8:30 P.M EST) or at http://www.samsungparts.com

You will need your model number. The complete model number can be located on the rear panel of your device. (You can also check with local store for the part)

If you have any more questions related to Samsung devices, feel free to contact us. We are available 24/7 to assist you.

If you would wish to reply via email, please click on the “Click here” link shown below in the Content Feedback section at the bottom of the email where it states, “If you have additional inquiries related to your original email, please click here”

For an interactive review of some of our Samsung products or just to gather more details on functionality of a product visit: http://samsungsimulator.com/

For Immediate assistance with a live agent,
you can chat with us
here

Samsung’s Social Media Team is available to assist with providing up-to-date information or answering
questions 24/7.

For support by phone, you can reach us at 1-800-SAMSUNG

Thank you for being a Samsung Customer!
Samsung Online Support

Kind regards,

Kathy B
Email Support
SAMSUNG Customer Support Center
post #35 of 496 Old 07-28-2015, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5490 Post(s)
Liked: 3892
That last email is a joke. In other words, they don't have the part, but they have the service manual you can buy that shows you how to replace the part, and they then tell you it's not a user replaceable part. Wow!

Last edited by wxman; 07-28-2015 at 11:24 AM.
post #36 of 496 Old 08-04-2015, 06:11 AM

I received the Y-Board from the seller. The Y-Board was a salvaged board.
I installed the board but no resolution of the problem.
I have now ordered a complete salvaged television, said to be a new TV with a broken screen (cost $175) and all new boards. The TV was described as powering up as new but w/o a working screen. I'm hoping I can use the boards in that TV to determine which board(s) are defective in my TV.
I will post results as they are available.
post #37 of 496 Old 08-07-2015, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Brookshire View Post
I received the Y-Board from the seller. The Y-Board was a salvaged board.
I installed the board but no resolution of the problem.
I have now ordered a complete salvaged television, said to be a new TV with a broken screen (cost $175) and all new boards. The TV was described as powering up as new but w/o a working screen. I'm hoping I can use the boards in that TV to determine which board(s) are defective in my TV.
I will post results as they are available.
ok please do. I had to buy a cheap tv in the meantime while i try to figure out what it is.
post #38 of 496 Old 08-18-2015, 07:46 AM

I still have not received the salvaged TV parts. I assume I got screwed on that purchase. I have not been able to contact the seller, whose voice mailbox is always filled and there is never a real person answering the phone.
Be careful with Marcos Electronics in San Antonio, and with Generalelectronisonline which is a variant of Marcos Electronics.

So, I gave up on trying to fix the TV myself and I loaded it up in the SUV to take it in for repair at the local TV repair service.
Unfortunately, in transport to the repair shop I somehow managed to break the glass in the TV and the repair guy said the replacement of the glass made the TV too expensive to repair. I didn't ask for a price for the glass replacement. Also unfortunately, I never learned what was originally wrong with the TV. Now I have multiple replacement boards and I don't know which ones are good and which ones are bad, since replacing the boards never made a difference in the TV. I hate to have to start looking for a new TV after just two years with this albatross. The plasma picture was exceptional and I'm not sure what to replace it with. Any thoughts on a reasonable replacement?
post #39 of 496 Old 08-26-2015, 07:03 AM

I bought an LG OLED TV to replace my Samsung plasma. I am more hopeful of the customer support from LG.

I have several of the boards for the Samsung model PN64F8500AFXZA if anyone is interested. I have three X boards, two Y boards, three main boards, three power supplies and two sets of Y-board upper and lower buffer boards and two sets of X-board buffer boards.
I will sell cheap. Let me know if interested.
post #40 of 496 Old 08-26-2015, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by geves View Post
I have a slightly different model PS64F8500ARXZN but a similar issue. Problem started after 14 months so just outside of warranty.

For me it's a very specific problem though. If the TV has been on for a while then turned off, an immediate start will be fine. Similarly if you wait an hour or more it will start fine. However, if you try turning it on 5-10 minutes later it won't start. The screen stays black, and the red LED power light blinks slowly. You can then try to turn it on and off a few times it will start eventually.

After this 'non-start' the clock will always be reset to 01/01/2013.

Does your set of this as well?
So I had Samsung come and replace the Y-Main board and perform a factory reset. Now my wallet is lighter the set works perfectly. No power on issues and no HDMI issues anymore.

I also have my old Y-Main board if anyone wants it. This is from a PS64F8500ARXZN.

Cheers
post #41 of 496 Old 08-26-2015, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
So I had Samsung come and replace the Y-Main board and perform a factory reset. Now my wallet is lighter the set works perfectly. No power on issues and no HDMI issues anymore.

I also have my old Y-Main board if anyone wants it. This is from a PS64F8500ARXZN.

Cheers
Where'd they get the board, even samsungparts.com (J&J) says they don't have it.
post #42 of 496 Old 08-26-2015, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh442 View Post
Where'd they get the board, even samsungparts.com (J&J) says they don't have it.
Well I live in Dubai, and I don't think they sold many of these TV's so there must be a fair stock of spare parts.

The technicians came with a new Power Board, Main Board, Y-Main and presumably have a stock of other parts as well. However these would be for the specific model number, and I'm not sure if it's interchangeable with other regions sets.

Before they came they asked for the TV serial number so they could bring the correct parts.
post #43 of 496 Old 09-01-2015, 11:02 PM

mr jo

I have the exactly the same problem ,mine is still under warranty,they changed the main board, same problem .then they changed the power supply ,same problem,it seems that even Samsung tech don't know what is the problem.they are coming back today will tell you what happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra05 View Post
I have been looking to see if other owners of the Samsung PN64F8500AFXZA model have experienced issues with turning on their TV with the TV's original remote or universal remote. I have yet to find any threads talking about such problem. So here goes my issue:

Since I purchased this TV about a year and a half ago, it worked flawlessly with my universal remote MX-800 series. TV would turn off and on with no hesitation or delay. About a year into owning the TV, I started noticing that the TV would not respond to the universal remote. I figured maybe I was blocking the IR sensor, so I would stand directly in front of the TV for several seconds to ensure I was not directing the sensor elsewhere.

It turns out it just wouldn't turn on regardless of how direct I was with pointing the remote. It would occasionally happen here and there, and I would try again a few times and the TV would turn on. I didn't really think anything of it as it would always work quickly after. Over time, the TV started to respond less and less. I even tried turning on manually with the button on the TV and the original remote. Nothing would work. I began to suspect that it might be a capacitor issue that Samsung's have been plagued with as I had a similar issue with my older Samsung LCD. It seems there hasn't been anything reported on this particular model with this issue. Nowadays its hit or miss when I try to turn the TV on, sometimes it works the first time, other times it just doesn't work for a 30 min stretch, then I give up and come back a couple hours later to try again.

I have tried calling Samsung support, but they are the least helpful people on the planet. Not to mention my TV is now out of warranty so it would cost me money just to have someone come out and inspect it. I am hoping by posting this issue here, perhaps the true TV enthusiasts can offer some advice or should I just suck it up and pay for a Samsung tech to come out and look at the TV.

Appreciate any help!
post #44 of 496 Old 09-02-2015, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I have several of the boards for the Samsung model PN64F8500AFXZA if anyone is interested. I have three X boards, two Y boards, three main boards, three power supplies and two sets of Y-board upper and lower buffer boards and two sets of X-board buffer boards.
I have an opportunity to get this set for free with the exact same issue you had.
It is honestly too big for my house, but...
If the consensus is power supply, how much $
...and if that isn't it... how much for ...
post #45 of 496 Old 09-08-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetv View Post
I have an opportunity to get this set for free with the exact same issue you had.
It is honestly too big for my house, but...
If the consensus is power supply, how much $
...and if that isn't it... how much for ...
Power supply is $75.00. I will sell any of my boards for $75.00
I paid $269.00 to Samsung for a new power supply. Turns out the problem with my tv wasn't in the four boards.
Let me know if you want a board.
Thanks
Don
post #46 of 496 Old 09-13-2015, 02:00 PM

Don

Would it be possible to list the part numbers of the boards you have? Also, do you have a price for the entire lot?

I have the same model TV, and I had a turn-on problem as well. Fortunately for me, it was the joystick power button in the back. However, I know the value of having extra boards around, so I would be interested in buying one or all boards in your inventory. I realize that some of the boards may be bad, and that is why I would be interested in buying the lot. Alas, that's the risk we take when new buy online.

BTW, how do you like the OLED? Did you get the LG 65" curved model?

Thanks,
Jim
post #47 of 496 Old 09-14-2015, 07:10 AM

Y Board: BN96-25216A and LJ92-01935A ($185 from Samsung) I have 2 Y boards available

X Board: BN96-25215A and J92-01936A ($195 from Samsung) I have 4 X boards available

Main Board: BN94-06205C – ($398 from Samsung) I have 3 Main boards available

Power supply: BN44-00603A - ($288 from Samsung) I have 3 Power Supply boards available

PCB-Buffer-X, 64FP, X-Buffer, LJ92-0 BN96-25217A I have 2 X Buffer boards

PCB-Buffer-Y, Lower, 64FP, Y-Buffer (Lower) BN96-25219A I have 2 sets of Y buffer Boards (both upper & lowerbds)

PCB-Buffer-Y, Upper, 64FP, Y-Buffer (Upper) BN9625218A

I will sell at big discount to anyone willing to take all 15 boards.
Private message me if interesteed
or
private email: db113 (at) mind spring (dot) com (combine the words mind and spring)
post #48 of 496 Old 09-14-2015, 10:12 PM

Thanks for the list, Don.

Since I don't have 15 posts to be allowed to PM you, I emailed you at your db113 email address.

Jim
post #49 of 496 Old 09-17-2015, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I got my TV repaired via a Samsung Certified repair company (local to me). They sent the Y-board out for repair and also fixed some grounds they claim come loose. My wallet is $400 lighter but my TV works. So there is hope even if you can't get a new board.
post #50 of 496 Old 09-30-2015, 05:17 PM

Thanks for all the information. I also got a PN64F8500 that died before 18 months. A local repair shop here in San Diego confirmed the Y-board cant be ordered anymore so he offered looking at the board for repair. I gave him a heads-up of the HUGE possibility of more TV's coming to him with the same issues.
post #51 of 496 Old 10-31-2015, 07:10 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
I have a slightly different model PS64F8500ARXZN but a similar issue. Problem started after 14 months so just outside of warranty.

For me it's a very specific problem though. If the TV has been on for a while then turned off, an immediate start will be fine. Similarly if you wait an hour or more it will start fine. However, if you try turning it on 5-10 minutes later it won't start. The screen stays black, and the red LED power light blinks slowly. You can then try to turn it on and off a few times it will start eventually.

After this 'non-start' the clock will always be reset to 01/01/2013.

Does your set of this as well?
I have very similar fault to you were the tv switches back on for the first 30-40 secs or so after going to standby but after that for ten minutes it wont start back up?
Have you managed to get it fixed and can you tell me the problem part?
Would help me get mine fixed as I have no warranty.
Cheers
post #52 of 496 Old 11-01-2015, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1blues View Post
I have very similar fault to you were the tv switches back on for the first 30-40 secs or so after going to standby but after that for ten minutes it wont start back up?
Have you managed to get it fixed and can you tell me the problem part?
Would help me get mine fixed as I have no warranty.
Cheers
It was fixed by replacing the Y-Board. The slow flashing LED on the front indicated a low power voltage on one of the boards apparently. The Y-Board in my case.

I had a factory reset done at the same time as well, but that was to resolve a HDMI issue which was unrelated, and resolved with the factory reset.

Cheers
post #53 of 496 Old 11-01-2015, 12:53 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
It was fixed by replacing the Y-Board. The slow flashing LED on the front indicated a low power voltage on one of the boards apparently. The Y-Board in my case.

I had a factory reset done at the same time as well, but that was to resolve a HDMI issue which was unrelated, and resolved with the factory reset.

Cheers
That is interesting, thanks for answering my question.
I would have sworn it would have been the power circuit board being a power issue.

At least I have an idea now what to do next.

Many thanks
post #54 of 496 Old 11-04-2015, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1blues View Post
That is interesting, thanks for answering my question.
I would have sworn it would have been the power circuit board being a power issue.

At least I have an idea now what to do next.

Many thanks
Yeah, thats what i thought as well, but when the Samsung tech guy came, he measured the voltages coming out of the power board and they were fine.

Apparently they can't tell which board is at fault if the voltages from the power supply are ok, so they replace the main board, Y-Board and X-board in sequence until it was fixed!!
post #55 of 496 Old 11-07-2015, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1775 Post(s)
Liked: 1049
Had my power supply replaced earlier this year but the problem is back for me, undoubtedly the no longer available Y board.

So at this point should I let Samsung try to fix it and get the inevitable refund, or should I just live with it and hope it doesn't get worse?

My big fear is that the problem will get worse once out of warranty and I will be left with a dead large piece of glass.
post #56 of 496 Old 11-10-2015, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Confirmed it is capacitor-related.

If your TV is ever in the mode and you need to watch it for whatever reason (TV accidentally got shut off at halftime or something), unplug it and press the power button joystick to drain the capacitors.

When you plug the TV back in, it should fire right up.

Meanwhile Geek Squad has ordered me new X and Y boards, so we'll see if they have a source for or stock of them other repair agents don't.

Last edited by kucharsk; 11-10-2015 at 06:55 PM.
post #57 of 496 Old 11-11-2015, 09:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

There may be hope after all; just got ship notices for new X and Y boards.
post #58 of 496 Old 11-13-2015, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ugh.

My packages from Best Buy/Samsung arrived today and I have a new main board and an X board waiting to be installed.

They had ordered a Y board, but they're… out of stock.

So basically the tech is required to install the main and X boards and see if the problem goes away, and if not, it's refund time.

In short, we're back to "if it's your Y board, you're screwed."

Pity as once again last night I marveled at how much I love this TV; stay tuned…

Update:
They came out and swapped out my X and main boards with no difference in the "no power on after a few minutes off" behavior (which we know is usually caused by the unavailable Y board.)

Bottom line is I'll be getting an exchange allowing me to trade in my 8500 towards a 65" OLED.

Pity, as I really do love this TV, but I'm not willing to take the chance that the issue progresses to the TV not turning on at all.

Last edited by kucharsk; 11-17-2015 at 04:25 PM.
post #59 of 496 Old 12-20-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I bought an LG OLED TV to replace my Samsung plasma. I am more hopeful of the customer support from LG.

do you still have any y board or power supply board for PN64F8500AFXZA!?!
post #60 of 496 Old 01-20-2016, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
3 Capacitors Soldered on y-Board

I had the same issue with the power not turning on after the TV was powered off. I would have to wait 10 to 30 minutes before I was able to turn on the TV..
Samsung tech changed the mainboard 2X, power supply, wifi chip and bluettooth chip on 3 seperate visits.
On the 4th visit they changed 3 capicators on the Y-board (soldered on 3 capacitors) and the problem
was resolved.
It has been 8 days and the issue has been put to rest.
talb likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
PN64F8500AFXZA

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page