Samsung PN64F8500AFXZA Issues with turning on - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 217Likes

post #61 of 496 Old 01-20-2016, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
Ugh.

My packages from Best Buy/Samsung arrived today and I have a new main board and an X board waiting to be installed.

They had ordered a Y board, but they're… out of stock.

So basically the tech is required to install the main and X boards and see if the problem goes away, and if not, it's refund time.

In short, we're back to "if it's your Y board, you're screwed."

Pity as once again last night I marveled at how much I love this TV; stay tuned…

Update:
They came out and swapped out my X and main boards with no difference in the "no power on after a few minutes off" behavior (which we know is usually caused by the unavailable Y board.)

Bottom line is I'll be getting an exchange allowing me to trade in my 8500 towards a 65" OLED.

Pity, as I really do love this TV, but I'm not willing to take the chance that the issue progresses to the TV not turning on at all.
The geek squad person told me pretty much the same thing today when I called to confirm my repair appointment. They said one of the parts was no longer available and if the one they sent does not fix the issue that they would issue a replacement order and I would have to go to the store to pick out a replacement. Crazy thing is that I just renewed my protection plan two days before the original expired. Any suggestions from anyone on a suitable replacement?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 496 Old 01-20-2016, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1775 Post(s)
Liked: 1049
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackedtv View Post
The geek squad person told me pretty much the same thing today when I called to confirm my repair appointment. They said one of the parts was no longer available and if the one they sent does not fix the issue that they would issue a replacement order and I would have to go to the store to pick out a replacement. Crazy thing is that I just renewed my protection plan two days before the original expired. Any suggestions from anyone on a suitable replacement?
I personally went with the LG 65EF9500 OLED.
post #63 of 496 Old 01-20-2016, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CostaM View Post
I had the same issue with the power not turning on after the TV was powered off. I would have to wait 10 to 30 minutes before I was able to turn on the TV..
Samsung tech changed the mainboard 2X, power supply, wifi chip and bluettooth chip on 3 seperate visits.
On the 4th visit they changed 3 capicators on the Y-board (soldered on 3 capacitors) and the problem
was resolved.
It has been 8 days and the issue has been put to rest.
Could you point out, if you can, what capicators were changed/swapped? Did they check voltage or troubleshoot the board or did they seem to know what to swap out without testing?

vavan likes this.

Last edited by wwxww; 01-20-2016 at 07:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 496 Old 01-20-2016, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
This board has slight differences

CostaM and mikehawkes like this.
post #65 of 496 Old 01-20-2016, 10:35 PM

Quote:
I personally went with the LG 65EF9500 OLED.
So what are your thoughts so far? I really do enjoy my plasma, the picture has always been fantastic, even without a calibration.
post #66 of 496 Old 01-21-2016, 12:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1775 Post(s)
Liked: 1049
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackedtv View Post
So what are your thoughts so far? I really do enjoy my plasma, the picture has always been fantastic, even without a calibration.
Is it perfect? No.

Is it the best looking display I've ever seen in my home? Yes.

The key test for me is I have been picking out details in films I have seen many times before upon watching them on the display.

Others have bigger complaints, but really for me it was this or front projection.
post #67 of 496 Old 01-21-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Is it perfect? No.

Is it the best looking display I've ever seen in my home? Yes.

The key test for me is I have been picking out details in films I have seen many times before upon watching them on the display.

Others have bigger complaints, but really for me it was this or front projection.
Dang!!! I just looked that one up at BB and they want 6 grand for it? Anything similar out there that might be in the range of the replacement policy if they cant get my plasma to work?
post #68 of 496 Old 01-22-2016, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
To: WWXWW
The 2nd picture you posted is the board I have which they changed the 3 capacitors.
P.N. = BN81-12840A
Description = Capacotors
They had checked the voltages on the prior visit and they were fine.
The service shop is in Montreal and it's called Capri Electronique.
I can't point out which ones they changed but none of them looked worn out or bulging or defective.
The 3 capacitors looks like staples with white tips.
Hope this helps.
talb likes this.
post #69 of 496 Old 01-25-2016, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My TV just turned off by itself a few days ago and there was a burning smell coming from it afterwards. It wouldn't power on afterwards but the red led light was blinking every 5 seconds or so. I unplugged the power cord for a few hours and plugged it back in, same issue. The TV just randomly powered on by itself yesterday without me pressing the power button but I noticed a burning smell coming from the left side and turned it off immediately. The picture appeared normal when this happened but I've been afraid to turn it back on since it may cause more damage.

Any ideas on what the problem might be and if it's something that I can fix myself? TV was purchased in November 2014 so it's just out of warranty but still covered by my credit card so I can always try filing a claim through them if necessary. Any help or info would be much appreciated.
post #70 of 496 Old 01-25-2016, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
The 2nd picture you posted is the board I have which they changed the 3 capacitors.
P.N. = BN81-12840A
Description = Capacotors
I can't point out which ones they changed but none of them looked worn out or bulging or defective.
Hope this helps.
Where? don't see that.

Paradigm PW AMP, KEF Q100, Emotiva B1, Rythmik L12
post #71 of 496 Old 01-25-2016, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudxcc View Post
My TV just turned off by itself a few days ago and there was a burning smell coming from it afterwards. It wouldn't power on afterwards but the red led light was blinking every 5 seconds or so. I unplugged the power cord for a few hours and plugged it back in, same issue. The TV just randomly powered on by itself yesterday without me pressing the power button but I noticed a burning smell coming from the left side and turned it off immediately. The picture appeared normal when this happened but I've been afraid to turn it back on since it may cause more damage.

Any ideas on what the problem might be and if it's something that I can fix myself? TV was purchased in November 2014 so it's just out of warranty but still covered by my credit card so I can always try filing a claim through them if necessary. Any help or info would be much appreciated.
Do you have cable box connected to receiver, connected to ARC on TV?

post #72 of 496 Old 01-25-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpp8140 View Post
Do you have cable box connected to receiver, connected to ARC on TV?
No cable box or receiver connected to the TV. I do have my HTPC connected to HDMI 3(ARC) though.
post #73 of 496 Old 03-15-2016, 09:03 AM

Liked: 1
I am having turn on issues with my PN64F8500. It's been worked on twice by a certified Samsung tech who has replaced just about everything in it including the entire panel to no avail. The one board that has yet to be replaced is of course the Y sustain, which as everyone knows is no longer available through conventional sources & appears to be the leading cause of turn on issues. There's one place on Ebay offering repairs for $350.00 which seems awfully high priced. Does anyone have a current source for a replacement or repair? Or better still, a Y board available for sale? This set is not that old & while it was working, I thought it was awesome. I'd really like to get this set back up & running.
CPF01 likes this.
post #74 of 496 Old 03-15-2016, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Samsung Offering No Solutions for Plasma Owners

I have read about Samsung offering a rebate, refund, upgrade... but I can't seem to get anyone to help. Any suggestions

Samsung just wants me to pay for a local tech to come out. They may or may not be able to fix the problem, but I will definitely have to pay for the call.

Samsung, I can change the Y Board, just provide me one!!!

You don't want to spend money supporting plasmas. Ok, spend a little bit supporting customers that you sold a flagship product to that had a cheap 50 cent capacitor problem.

Perhaps it is time to get a list of owners together for the inevitable lawsuit where everyone loses
wackedtv likes this.
post #75 of 496 Old 03-15-2016, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
P.N. = BN81-12840A
Description = Capacotors
Hope this helps.

Would it be possible for you to take a picture of your repaired Y-SUS board so we may be able to see the components that were changed? The part number listed is no longer available, and no product description other than "ceramic capacitor" is given. The number on the SMD capacitor itself may help identify the value.

A question for any of you that had the failure under warranty... Did you have to return the faulty TV in order to get your refund or replacement TV?
post #76 of 496 Old 03-15-2016, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billsivy View Post
I am having turn on issues with my PN64F8500. It's been worked on twice by a certified Samsung tech who has replaced just about everything in it including the entire panel to no avail. The one board that has yet to be replaced is of course the Y sustain, which as everyone knows is no longer available through conventional sources & appears to be the leading cause of turn on issues. There's one place on Ebay offering repairs for $350.00 which seems awfully high priced. Does anyone have a current source for a replacement or repair? Or better still, a Y board available for sale? This set is not that old & while it was working, I thought it was awesome. I'd really like to get this set back up & running.

I am having the same problem as you. I also see that overpriced repair service for a board that was selling for as little as $80.00 from shopjimmy, to the last price listed on Samsung for around $212.00. Would be nice if the repair was as simple as replacing the 3 capacitors like one of the previous posters. Even better would be to replace them with a better capacitor that won't fail as quickly as the original.
post #77 of 496 Old 04-07-2016, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
64F8500AFXZA Won't Turn On

Add me to the list of people with the same problem. This started happening for me in September of last year. It got progressively worse until yesterday where I turned it off in the morning and it simply will not turn back on. (Feeling a sense of loss). I called Samsung CS and they weren't that helpful - basically saying they could send someone for $250 (could not tell me if I got that money back if they couldn't fix it), or refer me to a local Samung-certified repair provider (same). At this point, I'm trying to decide whether to try the local Samsung tech that the Samsung CS referred me to, or to just skip the bs and get a new TV. I have very little patience for things like this, and don't want to have to take money out of my pocket and time out of my job/life for someone to come out a bunch of times, and not fix it.

I'm in the SF Bay Area. Curious if anyone has had any experience with TV Unlimited in Sunnyvale.

Being that this is somewhat of a surprise expense, if I get a new set, I don't think I'm going to be able to swing OLED money. I'm currently leaning to the Vizio M70-C3. Any other suggestions for replacements in that $2,000 range? TIA, this thread has been very helpful (/consoling). I've pretty much only had Samsung TVs, and I think this is my last one.

Rob

Sony 65x930d; Marantz SR6011; Oppo BDP-103D; Apple TV 4K 64GB; Sonance R1C Fronts; Sonance R1CSUR Surrounds; Sonus Faber Venere Center; SVS SB13-Ultra subwoofer.
post #78 of 496 Old 04-16-2016, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My PN60F5300(B) just went out last night while my nephew was playing a video game. I tried to turn it back on this morning but no luck. There are no lights flashing or images on the screen. My nephew said it just simply shut off on its own so I immediately assumed it was the power supply or related to it. Could I be having the same issue as the 8500's ?

Last edited by snyper99; 04-16-2016 at 01:42 PM. Reason: wrong model number
post #79 of 496 Old 04-17-2016, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyyyrawb View Post
Add me to the list of people with the same problem. This started happening for me in September of last year. It got progressively worse until yesterday where I turned it off in the morning and it simply will not turn back on. (Feeling a sense of loss). I called Samsung CS and they weren't that helpful - basically saying they could send someone for $250 (could not tell me if I got that money back if they couldn't fix it), or refer me to a local Samung-certified repair provider (same). At this point, I'm trying to decide whether to try the local Samsung tech that the Samsung CS referred me to, or to just skip the bs and get a new TV. I have very little patience for things like this, and don't want to have to take money out of my pocket and time out of my job/life for someone to come out a bunch of times, and not fix it.

I'm in the SF Bay Area. Curious if anyone has had any experience with TV Unlimited in Sunnyvale.

Being that this is somewhat of a surprise expense, if I get a new set, I don't think I'm going to be able to swing OLED money. I'm currently leaning to the Vizio M70-C3. Any other suggestions for replacements in that $2,000 range? TIA, this thread has been very helpful (/consoling). I've pretty much only had Samsung TVs, and I think this is my last one.
I live in the Bay. Haven't had to deal with any repair places due to my F8500 being perfect since day one. It will be 2 years in May since I bought it and zero issues. It really depends on your preference for where you buy your products but you can get a Samsung Plasma PN64E550 for $1699.99 and they even do Paypal Credit as well as other methods of credit cards. The only downside to this TV is it does not have the ambient light filter like the F8500 so it's more ideal for nighttime viewing. I don't think you're going to be happy going from a reference plasma to any LCD, no matter if it has 4K. http://www.buysquad.com/product.aspx...dc4aApDO8P8HAQ
post #80 of 496 Old 04-18-2016, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Samsung PS64F8500AT

Hi Geves
Did you manage to have your TV repaired? I am desperately looking for some contacts to get my Y Main replaced or even repaired and i was wondering if you could provide me the details of the company that assisted you with your problem
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by geves View Post
Well I live in Dubai, and I don't think they sold many of these TV's so there must be a fair stock of spare parts.

The technicians came with a new Power Board, Main Board, Y-Main and presumably have a stock of other parts as well. However these would be for the specific model number, and I'm not sure if it's interchangeable with other regions sets.

Before they came they asked for the TV serial number so they could bring the correct parts.
post #81 of 496 Old 06-03-2016, 04:32 PM

Power on problems

I have the exact same problem with the power on. The LED just flashes. Typically I could unplug the power and plug it back in and then I could turn it on. Now it will not come one. The red LED just flashes at me when pressing the power button.
post #82 of 496 Old 06-15-2016, 01:30 PM

Liked: 10
Mine died today. 3 years and 1 month after purchase. Can't decide whether to just get a new tv or go through the hassle of trying to get this thing fixed.

Thinking about

http://www.vizio.com/p-series or

https://www.sony.com/electronics/tel...r-x950b-series

or https://www.sony.com/electronics/tel...d-x930d-series

How has vizio been in terms of reliability?
post #83 of 496 Old 06-26-2016, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well, my 64" f8500 is doing the same thing. If it gets turned off, it won't turn back on for several hours. I have had it for 3 years and 3 months. I took it apart, but didn't see any obviously bulging capacitors. Is everyone writing theirs off at this point?

If I get another Samsung, I won't have to reprogram anything. The thought of losing picture quality bothers me, though. May have to go LG OLED.

1st world problems...
stanjohn123 likes this.
post #84 of 496 Old 06-27-2016, 12:28 AM

My F5500 is still going strong with minor burnin from huds while gaming very very long sessions. I read through all posts here and just want to have my fingers crossed because lately I have noticed that sometimes it takes 2 power button clicks to turn the hdtv off or on. Im hoping it is just a universal remote issue and doesnt get worse. --__--
post #85 of 496 Old 06-27-2016, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleandisc999 View Post
My F5500 is still going strong with minor burnin from huds while gaming very very long sessions. I read through all posts here and just want to have my fingers crossed because lately I have noticed that sometimes it takes 2 power button clicks to turn the hdtv off or on. Im hoping it is just a universal remote issue and doesnt get worse. --__--
I was trying to edit my post but couldnt figure out how on mobile. Anyway, being how the F5500 was a lot less expensive than the 8500 I think it gives me peace of mind. Like if i spent much more money 800$ vs whatever the 8500 sold for I would be very upset with any issues in picture quality. I guess thats what extended warranties are for though. Makes me wonder how much i could spend if i ever want to go to OLED. Hopefully they drop next year or year after i guess.
post #86 of 496 Old 06-28-2016, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I have the same problem was yesterday I repaired my TV 64F8500. I replaced 3 of the ceramic capacitor 106(10uf 50v) on the photo Board Y for the same. The problem is that the total capacity of the capacitors 10uf x 3=30uf, and my 3 capacitors had dried up to the total value 21uf. I can assume the loss of a capacitors capacity to 22-23uf TV starts to act up. In General, my TV works 2 days no problem after the self-replacement of the capacitor. It is also possible to supply the electrolyte 33uf, 47uf and maybe. So what you are looking for an expensive Y charge if the problem is known and is almost free.
hpp8140, vavan, talb and 1 others like this.
post #87 of 496 Old 06-28-2016, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esegan View Post
I have the same problem was yesterday I repaired my TV 64F8500. I replaced 3 of the ceramic capacitor 106(10uf 50v) on the photo Board Y for the same. The problem is that the total capacity of the capacitors 10uf x 3=30uf, and my 3 capacitors had dried up to the total value 21uf. I can assume the loss of a capacitors capacity to 22-23uf TV starts to act up. In General, my TV works 2 days no problem after the self-replacement of the capacitor. It is also possible to supply the electrolyte 33uf, 47uf and maybe. So what you are looking for an expensive Y charge if the problem is known and is almost free.
Can you point out which ones in the picture? Or post picture of the capacitors? This would be of great service to the forum. Thanks.

post #88 of 496 Old 06-28-2016, 08:53 AM

2 фото.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4274.JPG
Views:	2109
Size:	306.6 KB
ID:	1518746   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4275.JPG
Views:	1869
Size:	328.0 KB
ID:	1518754  
jnpr, stanjohn123, vavan and 3 others like this.
post #89 of 496 Old 06-28-2016, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Whoa! Finally! Can't thank you enough.

I don't have this issue, but a few tvs have been trashed for no reason. A couple folks posted that a tech replaced some caps, but weren't able to provide simple pics or sufficient details.

THANK YOU!
stanjohn123 and talb like this.

post #90 of 496 Old 06-29-2016, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpp8140 View Post

I don't have this issue, but a few tvs have been trashed for no reason.
THANK YOU!
I can disappoint you (disappoint) you too will have this failure, it all depends on how fast ceramic capacitors 106 in the amount will lose the total capacity of about 30% of it value. The fact that the drying of the capacitors and the loss of capacity is inevitable from the high temperatures, and this scheme is apparently critical (sensitive) parameters of capacitors. Many brands of capacitors when heating capacity is further reduced and therefore hot TV does not turn on, and 40-60 minutes when the capacitor cools down and increase (restore) the capacity of the TV is turned on. Technical table our capacitors 106 blue case have a maximum operating temperature of +60 degrees or +85. For replacement it is better to use capacitors with a working temperature of +120 degrees, the longer they will last.
fgsouza, vavan, talb and 2 others like this.

Last edited by esegan; 06-29-2016 at 07:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
PN64F8500AFXZA

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page