Originally Posted by talb
Many many many many many many many thanks to CostaM
who were the first guys to identify the solution! Many many many many many thanks to all the others who contributed with their confirmations/suggestions.
First I want to thank everyone that helped and contributed in this amazing thread. As talb mentioned, thank you to CostaM
for informing the group that the issue was small caps on the Y board. Then to esegan
for figuring out which caps were the problem. Also I want to thank Mikehawkes
for linking the parts over at mouser.com, to 939
for showing the voltage adjustment locations and last but not least, to talb
for posting the samsung docs and for thoroughly explaining his repair and helping me complete mine.
I ran my TV for 12 hours straight, followed by a turn off and on and it worked perfectly.
Attached you will find some pictures of my repair. First is a picture of the old caps removed. Then a picture of the new caps uninstalled but with solder already applied to the legs. Lastly I took a few pictures of the board with the caps installed. They are not pretty or perfectly aligned or straight but they do work.
Some additional comments I would like to add to my instructions above. I did solder the new caps to the legs of the old caps. So when you cut off the old caps leave as much leg as possible. I left one with a small leg by accident and it was very difficult to solder the new cap. I bought this wire cutter which has a fine tip perfect for this job:
For the soldering iron I would recommend a very fine tip. I used this one:
Lastly I recommend that after you install each cap, that you check the resistance between the points on C5207 and the top of the leg of your newly installed cap. The resistance should read 0 ohms. This means you made a good solder joint. Check both legs against both points on C5207.
The rest of the instruction I posted above still apply. I did the job as talb
suggested, with the TV upright on it's stand and the Y Board still installed on the TV. I pulled up a chair to the back of the TV, got a magnifying lamp light and got and did the repair. Regarding the white glue that was smeared on one of the old caps I cut it off with an exacto knife, but be very careful since you can easily cut a trace or a component off the board.