I want 4K, I want HDR... but I don't want to stop using my plasma. - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 33Likes

post #61 of 68 Old 01-02-2017, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 18
if your plasma is pre 2011 u will notice the switch to oled more so than a newer plasma. i went to bb and looked at the oleds and was amazed at the picture,but those tvs are jacked to the hilt on the settings to get ur attention. the motion on the plasmas are better..the blacks are comparible and the all around picture of every day viewing are not worth the upgrade because of the price point as of yet. if u have a plasma newer than 2011 keep ur set unless its giving u problems or u just want a bigger screen. i went home after i went to bb and my panny vierra is still a top notch tv...and doubles as a space heater of course!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 Old 01-02-2017, 11:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4313 Post(s)
Liked: 3749
The blacks of plasma (short of a tweaked Kuro) are not comparable to OLED. I had the first generation (55EA9800) in side-by-side viewing with a ZT60. With lights out and low APL content, the difference was night and day.

Now with the G6, while the motion may be more abrasive thanks to sample and hold, it is not something I can't acclimate to. The only thing that remains as a slight distraction is near-black uniformity where flagship plasmas still have the upper hand.
CCsoftball7 likes this.
post #63 of 68 Old 01-03-2017, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Nothing compares to those OLED blacks in my experience... and I say that as somebody who still hasn't upgraded (but that will change in the next 4-6 months) and has a 111FD Kuro ELITE as my main set. The Kuro has pretty outstanding blacks, especially for it's time. Better than any FALD I've seen minus the Sharp ELITE and a few top Sony's (and I can probably get the blacks even better by tweaking them a bit) but those OLED blacks are really something else.
CCsoftball7 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 68 Old 01-03-2017, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1196 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader1 View Post
Nothing compares to those OLED blacks in my experience... and I say that as somebody who still hasn't upgraded (but that will change in the next 4-6 months) and has a 111FD Kuro ELITE as my main set. The Kuro has pretty outstanding blacks, especially for it's time. Better than any FALD I've seen minus the Sharp ELITE and a few top Sony's (and I can probably get the blacks even better by tweaking them a bit) but those OLED blacks are really something else.
Of course they are. The OLED blacks are absolute.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #65 of 68 Old 01-03-2017, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 25
SONY is coming out with OLED this year as well, so something else to consider this year...
post #66 of 68 Old 01-03-2017, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2032 Post(s)
Liked: 1925
i am looking forward to zero-blacks. ever since giving up the crt, black levels have been the number one concern i've had(because it's been the number one complaint i've had) when shopping. i honestly believe there's only been about 10-15 displays made that were 'black enough' to be considered. so even though oled has it's own problems, its just refreshing to have a different problem to worry about.

that being said, i'm really, really happy with how front projection is going, and the last time i upgraded my display(to the samsung f8500), i had to basically throw out my projector and buy a better one because i couldn't stand the elevated black levels. right now the f8500 and x35 have similar MLL(the x35 actually slightly better). if i upgrade to oled, and it becomes my new standard, i don't think i can afford the projector that achieves comparable MLL, haha.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
post #67 of 68 Old 01-06-2017, 01:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked: 252
New QLED choices from Samsung

The new QLED models that Samsung is releasing may now be a satisfactory replacement for plasma, in addition to OLED by LG and now Sony.

Samsung has made new upgrades to the Quantom Dots and apparently the new VA panels have overcome the major limitation of side angle viewing fade. So if they have corrected the side angle viewing issues, and have improved black levels, then the Q7 and Q8 series may now be a suitable plasma replacement choice. But of course clouding and edge lit limitations such as light bleed may still be a concern, as well as motion blur. But supposedly the new QLED TVs have overcome these issues. We shall see. But sounding very promising for QLED so far, with reportedly better color accuracy than OLED.
post #68 of 68 Old 01-08-2017, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4313 Post(s)
Liked: 3749
I betcha' they still fall flat on the most important parameter of black levels and contrast ratio. This company above all others has mastered the art of deception and being obtusely misleading. I'm going to contend that anyone with a plasma is doing themselves a disservice by falling for it and should save up for an OLED...IMO. By all means, view it for yourself, but I can practically guarantee it'll fall short at the annual shootout.
Ozymandis and mailiang like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page