Just Won This TV..... Was it a Bad Buy??? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By Test Ickles
  • 1 Post By fierce_gt
  • 1 Post By genesplitter
  • 1 Post By Squirrel!
  • 1 Post By acras13

post #1 of 9 Old 01-14-2017, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just Won This TV..... Was it a Bad Buy???

Hi,

The other day, on ebay, I typed in "65 inch tv", clicked on 'Ending Soonest', and ending in less than 2 minutes was a Panasonic TH-65PF10UK, and quickly had to decide if what I was seeing was a good deal or not. I did a quick search with the model number shown, but couldn't even tell that the tv existed since I couldn't find anything, but seeing as it was a well known refurbishing electronic company on ebay, I felt safe and secure. So, even though I couldn't find anything, I won it for $260, beating out the other 3 bidders.

After winning, I continued to search this model that I couldn't find anything anywhere, not even one single result, and then realized maybe the 'O' was actually a '0' (zero), which it was.

Well, right away I was really disappointed because:

- in fact it was not a TV, but a monitor.
- weighed 157.8 pounds
- made in 2006
- no built-in stereo
- no stand (picture that I was bidding off of showed a stand)
- only 2 HDMI ports
- and a power consumption of 800 watts (sounds like A LOT!!)

With all that said, I'm not a tv connoisseur, by my boys like playing their video games, and just figured I'd replace their Sony KDF-60XBR950 60" XBR® Grand Wega™ High-Definition rear-projection LCD TV (which's 130 pounds, and has a 250 Watt Power Consumption), with a bigger tv (I unfortunately get my kids every other weekend, and being the Super Daddy that I am and always strive to be, I wanted to surprise them yet again). The Sony isn't a thin screen tv, but the size of it isn't bad, nor is the picture, and the picture actually looks great (I think), but I just realized the tv wasn't as good as I'd thought it was when I went to hook up their Xbox One, and realized there wasn't an HDMI Input, which's the only option for the Xbox One.

Anyways, if the role was reversed, you were looking for bigger and better tv, and had to make a split decision like I did, would you've bought this Panasonic?? If not, why? If yes, why?

Any feedback at all would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-14-2017, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Is it local. How are going to get it? That Plasma was quite expensive back in it's day. It should provide a pretty good picture. $260 bucks is a pretty good deal. It will be better than the rear projection it's replacing.
Squirrel! and clwmike like this.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-14-2017, 09:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1997 Post(s)
Liked: 1896
personally, no, i wouldn't have. but not for any of the reasons you seem to be concerned about. i'm just anal about researching purchases, and would never buy something that quickly, haha

for a 'gaming' tv, an older plasma is not the best choice. at least the input lag should be good, but IR could be a real issue if they don't play different games and mix in some regular video.

the image should be pretty solid though, maybe not what the latest plasmas could offer, but i don't see you doing better for the price.
clwmike likes this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-14-2017, 10:41 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by clwmike View Post
- in fact it was not a TV, but a monitor.
- weighed 157.8 pounds
- made in 2006
- no built-in stereo
- no stand (picture that I was bidding off of showed a stand)
- only 2 HDMI ports
- and a power consumption of 800 watts (sounds like A LOT!!)
I wish tv manufacturers would not inlcude tiny speakers or stands and just priced and sold them separately. I just bought a set of refurb speakers that originally sold for $399 each for $69 on closeout. With those speakers and my (new to me) refurb Marantz SR5009 7-channel receiver, there's simply no comparison and seems such a waste to go into my Panasonic plasma tv menu and permanently turn off the tiny tv stereo speakers. Lastly monoprice has many wall mounts, from simple to articulating, that once mounted the included tv stand ends up taking space in storage.

The only real downside I see is 800 watts and made in 2006. I wonder if 800 watts is max power consumption only if displaying a full white image - might want to plug into a kill-a-watt meter to test a full white image vs full black image. As for being a 2006, does it have thousands of hours use or closer to 1000 hours? If the latter than the manufactor date is kinda irrelavant.
clwmike likes this.

U-Turn Orbit Plus turntable, Marantz SR-7009 AVR, iNuke 6000DSP, DIY LinkwitzLab speakers, MartyCube + JohnnySub, BenQ W1070, Roku stick, Plex
post #5 of 9 Old 01-14-2017, 11:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked: 469
https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TH-.../dp/B000U906W8

Doesn't seem to be a bad set. For the price, and refurb'd, & I presume with some type of warranty (since it is sold by the refurb place directly), it is a decent deal. However, personally, if I were you, I would cancel the sale based on the photo showing you it has a stand and it didn't come with one. That or have a partial refund of say...$100 or so.

Power wise it is going to suck the power right up. Depending on usage, expect to see a noticeable increase in your electric bill. And you won't need a heater in the room it goes in. Plasma puts off ALOT of heat. If none of this is an issue for you, the proceed:

The sets specs seem as good as you can get. The PQ I would have to imagine is top notch, being as it is Full HD. If you are the great Daddy you want to be, a built in stereo (sound system) is not needed as you should buy a small surround setup to take advantage of the xbox one capabilities. As for the stand, just wall mount it if you can.

Only 2 HDMI isn't an issue as you are going to use a ceap surround receiver and that can be used as a HDMI switcher. And unless you use an antenna system for OTA, you can use the xbox for all your content, blu-ray etc.

Have a link to the auction even though it is over?

For comparison, See my signature. My Vizio I got off craigslist for $130 with a bad HDMI board (the component inputs still worked) about 3 years ago. A $40 replacement board fixed the HDMI issue and it is one of the best sets I ever got. But you wanted bigger. Read on ...

My main system I got the 73" Mits for $80 with stand (NOT the same stand as in my profile pic) and a brand new Mits lamp, but had a bad CMD chip. That cost for the CMD part was $130 from ShopJimmy. That was about 2 years ago. The PQ is just outstanding and uses (I think) 275 watts. Has speakers built in but not used as you can gather from my profile pic.

To me, other than the excessive power consumption of your plasma, I think you got a great deal. As long as shipping is free of it is local for pickup. I think your boys will love it. But as mentioned earlier, you MUST be diligent with the image retention issues most all plasmas suffer from. Stay on top of your boys and put the fear of you in them and be certain they don't pause a game with the set on, for very long or the set could potentially be ruined.

Good luck with your purchase! I'm sure it will provide hours of enjoyment for both you and your boys. And make them sit back away from the screen. They don't need to have their noses against the screen.
clwmike likes this.

Main: Mitsubishi 73736|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|2 - DIY 12" Subs|Behringer KM750|2 Bass Shaker|APC H15 Power Conditioner|Harmony Hub|Sennheiser RS 160|SMSL B1 BT Rx|Linksys SE2500
MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTV3|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Dayton SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin Bridge|Belkin PF30|Harmony 550
post #6 of 9 Old 01-14-2017, 11:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Be careful with your wall mount purchase , if you can't find a stand. make very sure you get a mount that can support the weight , thats a heavy ass tv , way more than anything modern so the mounts might not support the weight , and make sure you hit wall studs with lags.
2006 plasma you will probably really have to be careful about image burn in , static images in games like health bars and such will burn in if they are on too long , showing a ghost image of that on other content . If the tv has pixel shift then turn that on , but I'm not sure that was offered that far back . 800 watts you might need air conditioning in the room when the tv is on , thats about what your toaster oven uses to cook a hot pocket.
clwmike likes this.

Turn that $*!# UP!! --Beethoven
post #7 of 9 Old 01-16-2017, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi everyone, and sorry for the late reply!

@Test Ickles (helluva name there! Lol), it was, "It was Free Shipping."

@fierce_gt , "Ya, normally I wouldn't have purchased that quick, but was literally less than 2 minutes left in the bidding, and I figured I was safe and secure cause it was a 65", for $255 (not the $260 I'd accidentally said), and would really like to have the Panasonic and the Sony (https://www.crutchfield.com/p_15860X...-60XBR950.html) side by side to compare. The only thing I don't like about the Sony is that it just looks like a so outdated tv because of how big it is, but even to this day, I think it's a pretty good looking picture, in my opinion (I remember when this used to look small in comparison to all the others when I first got it, not the screen, but just the size and thickness of it. Lol)."

@genesplitter , "I must say that the Sony does have, in my opinion, a very good stereo in it, as it's pretty loud and clear, that's for sure. I think that'd be a 'no doubt comment' if we're talking in regards to the newer tvs as there's not much room to put a good stereo setup inside them. The only downfalls I see with buying separately is the timing of the picture and the sound not being on par, with one lagging, either the picture or the audio lagging about a second behind, like found in the comments of this Denon Receiver (https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...SIN=B002AKKFPS), which could possibly be because it's older too? But in general, I think that not including audio in the tvs would be burdensome to most, which again, is just my opinion.

In regards to the 800 watts statement (I wonder if 800 watts is max power consumption only if displaying a full white image), I really don't know, I just know that it sounds like a lot, a whole lot, a more than 3 times that of the current tv I have, the Sony)."

@Squirrel! , "I believe there's a one-year warrant, and definitely seems like an astronomical amount of power!

I would've definitely got the surround system, and made them feel like they were in a theater, but in all honesty, the Sony has such a great stereo in it, in my opinion, and was just thinking it'd be about the same. Wall mounting's definitely the plan.

For content, we'd just use their Xbox or PlayStation.

Here's the link for the Panasonic, that I'd had less than 2 minutes decide, with the inability to find the set with a quick search being how the 'O' was a '0', http://www.ebay.com/itm/252711372789...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I tried to look at your profile picture, the Vizio, I tried to enlarge it but it opened up smaller. What model is it, and was it easy to install?

In regards to your Mitsubishi, I had the same type you had, the 65" though (https://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-Di.../dp/B003I57ZLG), and after the bulb going out 2 times, then the white dots all over, I'd assumed it was going to be more to fix it than worth, so just got rid of it being how we'd also had the Sony, and only one of them would get attention because they (my boys) always play together. Was the CMD part you bought from ShopJimmy for $130 easy to install, and did yours also have the white dots problem? These are always available locally, and are not bad at all, heck, I liked it more than the Sony as it was able to connect to Wifi and pull Pandora and things like that.

And the pausing, and burning into the tv sounds like a problem as they often pause their games, and sometime so long that the system turns off by itself, so that's a big negative right there, and in conjunction with the power consumption, I think buying it is a bad move."

@acras13 , "Indeed, it is a very heavy tv, and wall mounting's the goal. The image burn's definitely a concern because the often pause, and not only the pausing, but like you said about the health meters and so forth staying there and then giving off a ghost image, stuck there forever.

The comment of may need an air conditioner in the room because of the heat it puts out is another very big concern, and definitely problematic as I'm trying to make simpler, more enjoyable, and this definitely doesn't seem like it'd be the case."

All in all, to sum it up, I thank everyone for their comments as because of them I've canceled the order. The heat output and electric usage is a big problem, the burning of a ghost image is another big problem, but all in all, the most concerning thing to me was that I'd wanted to put it on the wall, and because this thing is so heavy, I was concerned about the possibility of it falling off the way, and not just falling off, but falling off while my boys were playing it! That's to me was the #1 reason, but all of the aforementioned factors were taken into account as well!

Again, thank you all very much for your comments, and if anyone knows of a good 65" tv that's common to have issues, that can go on the wall, that's often sold because it has an easy fix solution that usual owners aren't aware of, please do let me know as I really don't want to pay $1,500 for a tv that only gets a couple hours usage every other weekend!

Thanks again!!

Last edited by clwmike; 01-16-2017 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Spacing
post #8 of 9 Old 01-16-2017, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked: 469
The CMD was relatively easy to replace. Shop Jimmy has youtube videos on how to do it step by step. Yes, mine had the white dot issue. But I have replaced 3 of them in 3 different sets, I have one set (the best one ) my son in Chicago came and picked up his set that I got for $50 and repaired for him, and my other son has the 3rd one that I also replaced the CMD in. All sets are 73" and great. An off brand lamp is about $20 any more, so that is cheap. I was over at son #3 last night to watch the game with him and his friend and the picture was stellar. I LOVE DLP sets! If I were you I pick one up and dump the Plasma if you can.

The Vizio isn't in the picture, it is in my sig line though in the "MBR" list. 55"...The wife loves it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0185.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	1899953   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5196.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	485.0 KB
ID:	1899961  

Main: Mitsubishi 73736|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|2 - DIY 12" Subs|Behringer KM750|2 Bass Shaker|APC H15 Power Conditioner|Harmony Hub|Sennheiser RS 160|SMSL B1 BT Rx|Linksys SE2500
MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTV3|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Dayton SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin Bridge|Belkin PF30|Harmony 550
post #9 of 9 Old 01-16-2017, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 292
If you are looking to blow the kids away with gaming fun , have you considered a projector? Might poke around in the budget pj forum section and see if theres an inexpensive pj that could work for you . The Benq pj's have pretty low input lag , and I've seen some pretty good sales . Granted not $255 , but craigslist or ebay might turn up something . Remember most PJ's don't have speakers , so you'll need an audio solution( recommend headphones for the gamers).
Maybe even start a thread in the pj section and ask for advise , there are plenty of helpful folks , if you want to blow the doors off a 65"

Turn that $*!# UP!! --Beethoven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page