Plasma Sellers - Let's talk.. - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 80Likes

post #181 of 215 Old 10-11-2017, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandis View Post
I realized that when I started researching, 5010FD was the 8G version. Ooops!

Anyway, I'm now an owner of a Pioneer Kuro 5020FD! The seller did not have the factory remote, so I didn't get a chance to play with it last night (seller did not have it set up properly), but there's no burn-in and blacks are still very good, though I'll do the voltage tweaks just to play with it a bit. Display has more of a buzz than my 500M did but I can live with it. The picture is still gorgeous. I'm happy. This will be the last plasma TV that I buy, hope to get at least 2 years out of it. By that time, maybe OLED will have a 49/50" size, with better uniformity and motion.
Awesome job! Keep us updated as you tweek that thing.
Ozymandis likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 215 Old 10-11-2017, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test Ickles View Post
Awesome job! Keep us updated as you tweek that thing.
Who else read this wrong?
sickkent and Test Ickles like this.
post #183 of 215 Old 10-13-2017, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
Thanks!
Sold it for $300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 215 Old 10-13-2017, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by impreza276 View Post
Oh, I've bought a car because it had nice wipers. If you've ever owned a car with just two wiper speeds and no intermittent you'll REALLY appreciate nice wipers!

The brightness of my F8500 for a plasma was one of the primary reasons I loved it.
About that wiper thing...

https://jalopnik.com/we-have-to-talk...wip-1819439449
sickkent likes this.
post #185 of 215 Old 10-18-2017, 03:07 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I realize that a particular market might be more advantageous for a Seller due to more local demand, at least that generally appears to be the case here in Vancouver, B.C., Canada although conversely despite a wide price spread of various models and sizes from 2008 - 2013 they remain for sale - 1500.00 for a low hour ST50, not sure if it will sell at that price point, and not uncommon asking price here. One person had the last of three shipped locally in 2013 stored, brand new in the box and he sold a ZT60 for 2600.00 as well as a ST60 for 1900.00 so there is still demand., hope this is allowed for reference only. . Being new to plasma and trying to learn as much as I could I was looking specifically for the last two years of Panasonic production and ended up with a TC P50 U50 -2 ( manufactured Nov. 2012 ) for 350.00 Cdn. I tried getting in touch with the owner of an ST50 ( 55" ) that was offered at 450.00 but when the UT50 came up and I had not heard back for over a week on the ST50 I decided to go ahead.In the month plus I have yet to see anything from 2012 -2013 for what I paid, definitely uncommon compared to earlier sets.

Was it a good deal? From what I have seen locally I hope so, the owner mentioned not having used it too much and it was a bit dusty but being the eager type I bought it. It is quiet, runs cool and so far looks quite nice, loving the film like quality that plasma gives and a certain depth that is certainly addictive. Of course I would love to own a higher end model but I wonder, outside of supposedly better black levels, ability to tweak the image with more user controls in the menu is the difference that great? I do not need 3D and actually prefer the so called basic "dumb tv" that the base models have been affectionately called.

I might go into the service menu one day and find out the total hours but maybe I should stay ignorant - I was glad to find out the -2 suffix attached to the model number meant that it had the updated mounting screws, I was a bit worried after reading about all of the arcing issues and resulting component failures on many sets. Of course I can only hope this one will last awhile, they do not appear to come up often, I guess owners are holding onto them or there simply are not that many around.
karps1987 and sickkent like this.

Last edited by filmbuff2; 10-19-2017 at 07:53 PM.
post #186 of 215 Old 10-18-2017, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmbuff2 View Post
Of course I would love to own a higher end model but I wonder, outside of supposedly better black levels, ability to tweak the image with more user controls in the menu is the difference that great?
Not having any experience with a UT50 I would theorize that it would not hold up very well in a side by side comparison to a VT60 for example. As the panels got better the blacks got better. Let's take a look.

ZT60 Ultimate Black panel
VT60 Infinite Black Ultra panel (same performance as the ZT panel but does not have as much anti glare coating)
ST60 Infinite Black Pro-panel

VT50 Infinite Black Ultra panel
GT50 Infinite Black Pro Panel
ST50 Infinite Black Pro Panel
UT 50 Does not have Infinite Black Pro Panel. Can't find what the panel is called.

VT30 Infinite Black Pro 2 panel
GT30 Infinite Black 2 panel
ST30 Infinite Black 2 panel

In this thread you can kind of match up the black levels from different years with TV's that had the same panel. VT50 and VT60 for example both had Infinite Black Ultra panel and black levels are similar with an edge to 2013 due to other advancements.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-pl...ck-levels.html

Last edited by Test Ickles; 10-18-2017 at 10:57 AM.
post #187 of 215 Old 10-18-2017, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I recall reading that the red phosphor on the VT\ZT60 was improved over the 50s.
post #188 of 215 Old 10-18-2017, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I recall reading that the red phosphor on the VT\ZT60 was improved over the 50s.
Ahh. An improvement to the same panel. That could explain the slightly better black levels year over year.
post #189 of 215 Old 10-18-2017, 02:08 PM

Quite certain I read a review that mentioned the U50 was pretty well on the same level as the UT50, which in turn was not giving up much compared to a ST50 - I need to check where I read this and verify, always take these reviews as not always being the last word but the last couple of years had definite improvements across the line. And for someone on a budget from what I found for sale used at the 350.00 price point I doubt, at least where I live, I could have done much better, at least I am hoping so.

I still own my first flat screen, a 2006 Toshiba Regza that still functions ( I believe it was made in Japan ) and a few months ago purchased a Samsung UN60D6420UF for 100.00 that appears to need a main board. This was before looking into plasmas and deciding on a Panasonic but eventually if I can get the Samsung up and running for a reasonable amount it will serve for casual viewing - the Panasonic is for more critical movie watching. When I had more money to spend I did get a JVC X35B projector and admittedly when it comes to really enjoying blu ray films ( screen is 128" 2:35 Carada ) it offers a more immersive experience but the blacks appear to be darker on the Panasonic, not that the projector is lacking.

I would be quite interested in finding out the performance differences between the various Panasonic plasmas from 2012-2013. It seems the base model did not give up that much, especially considering the price difference. In other words, just how much better were the top end models? Apparently some liked the lower end ones almost as much, especially if one did not want or need 3D etc.

Last edited by filmbuff2; 10-19-2017 at 07:54 PM.
post #190 of 215 Old 10-18-2017, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
what do you guys think street value ballparks should be for used VT and ZT's should be...considered excellent condition, no issues?
post #191 of 215 Old 10-18-2017, 06:38 PM

Another thought - I believe the special anti glare coating on the ST and higher models helped with the black level somewhat, seem to recall that the more reflective screen on the U50 was still pretty good and in a dark room that I view in reflections are non existent and hence not an issue to image quality. I was watching Octopussy on blu ray and have to admit it looked pretty dang good from what I watched it on previously ( including the JVC projector ), in particular the scenes in the forest near the beginning when Agent 006, dressed as a clown really had a depth and film like quality that was, frankly, wonderful to watch.

When you get a really well done film on blu ray these plasmas certainly do shine. This is something often repeated here so just adding my voice as being quite satisfied. I played the projector game for 10 years, jumped on HD DVD from the start and now with OLED technology like others here I will be waiting quite awhile for prices and overall image quality to reach that point where buying into it is worth it.

If a person who was use to 480 SD content looked at a top end 65" 1080 plasma they would be left speechless no doubt, I think technology might be spoiling us more than we realize, always wanting better, to a point, yes, it is great but it is a lot of expense going to 4K and true UHD and it seems a lot of older folks like myself can finally say that 1080 done right is still pretty good. I will not argue that true 4K through a projector should be incredible, at least in my case something like UHD on a 120" or larger screen would be optimal, if you have the room size of course. My projector has spoiled me in that regard.

I just watched The Great Waldo Pepper blu ray imported from Germany on the PJ and it looked just like a good quality print should - unless it was shot in 65/70mm just how far should resolution go before it simply looks a bit unnatural? I am of course referring to standard 35mm film, which has quite high resolution of course ( 8K or so? ). I know the younger generations fully embrace that digital or video look more readily. It could be I am just too set in my ways - I can appreciate 4K certainly but being rooted in the days of actual film stock run through a projector at a local theater I can be quite happy with 1080. Not knocking technology at all, just wondering how much is perhaps too much depending on the source. Diminishing returns and all that.

Taking The Fifth Element on 4K and Close Encounters as two examples it seems Element beats the blu ray hands down, have yet to see it myself whereas Encounters has had very mixed reviews, some saying it just does not look right. Does it come down to the source used ( OCN or print ) and how it was digitally restored, gets a bit complicated but beyond what technology brings us is how they looked originally. I guess that is what I am getting at, how far is too far?

I know when the opportunity presents itself I will join the 4K UHD crowd via OLED but sometimes I wonder!

Last edited by filmbuff2; 10-19-2017 at 07:54 PM.
post #192 of 215 Old 10-18-2017, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 192darkhorse View Post
what do you guys think street value ballparks should be for used VT and ZT's should be...considered excellent condition, no issues?
For the 65" VT60, $800 will see a quick sale if you are fortunate to have buyers in your area. The big problem I see is a lack of shipping options.
post #193 of 215 Old 10-19-2017, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmbuff2 View Post
Quite certain I read a review that mentioned the U50T was pretty well on the same level as the ST50, which in turn was not giving up much compared to a VT50 - I need to check where I read this and verify, always take these reviews as not always being the last word but the last couple of years had definite improvements across the line. And for someone on a budget from what I found for sale used at the 350.00 price point I doubt, at least where I live, I could have done much better, at least I am hoping so.

I still own my first flat screen, a 2006 Toshiba Regza that still functions ( I believe it was made in Japan ) and a few months ago purchased a Samsung UN60D6420UF for 100.00 that appears to need a main board. This was before looking into plasmas and deciding on a Panasonic but eventually if I can get the Samsung up and running for a reasonable amount it will serve for casual viewing - the Panasonic is for more critical movie watching. When I had more money to spend I did get a JVC X35B projector and admittedly when it comes to really enjoying blu ray films ( screen is 128" 2:35 Carada ) it offers a more immersive experience but the blacks appear to be darker on the Panasonic, not that the projector is lacking.

I would be quite interested in finding out the performance differences between the various Panasonic plasmas from 2012-2013. It seems the base model did not give up that much, especially considering the price difference. In other words, just how much better were the top end models? Apparently some liked the lower end ones almost as much, especially if one did not want or need 3D etc.
Looks like you got a good one there.
https://www.cnet.com/products/panaso...55ut50/review/
"The Good In pure dollar/performance terms the Panasonic TC-PUT50 series is one of the best TVs we've seen, with astounding picture quality for the money. Black levels are the equal of Panasonic's ST50 series in a darkened room, shadow detail is very good, and colors are accurate. Unlike an LCD, as a plasma TV it has superb off-angle and uniformity characteristics. Despite the low price, the UT50 is still studded with the latest features, including 3D and Smart TV.

The Bad The UT50 series doesn't perform very well in a lit room, with blacks becoming muddy and indistinct. The performance of 3D is only passable, with quite distinct ghosting effects. The TV lacks advanced setup controls, which makes tweaking a better picture almost impossible. With only three video inputs it's not suited to users with lots of gear.

The Bottom Line The Panasonic TC-P50UT50 plasma TV nearly matches the world-beating picture quality of the ST50 series, at an even lower price."
post #194 of 215 Old 10-19-2017, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 192darkhorse View Post
Buying or selling? As said above $800 would be a great price if buying. If selling I would try to get a least a grand.
post #195 of 215 Old 10-19-2017, 01:23 PM

Close, one can get brain fog reading too much information but I am almost certain that the UT50 and U50 ( the one I have ) share the same performance except that the U50 is not 3D, I think it was just around 1,000.00, maybe even around 900.00 until they were being really discounted at the end. Either way Panasonic offered pretty good image quality compared to higher end models, especially those from only two or three years earlier. At least that is what I understand after looking into the various models produced from say 2010 - 2013.

Last edited by filmbuff2; 10-19-2017 at 07:55 PM.
post #196 of 215 Old 10-19-2017, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Buying or selling? As said above $800 would be a great price if buying. If selling I would try to get a least a grand.
There are so many factors, the primary one being close to prospective buyers. Some sellers get lucky and sell for over $1000. Others struggle to find buyers at all. From the sales I have followed $800 seems to be the tipping point.
post #197 of 215 Old 10-22-2017, 05:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 51
OP - Did you ever buy? We discussed a sale of mine and after much thought I just got a refund on the LG OLED that I actually never had delivered. I'm not regretting my decision at all and judging from conversations over there(OLED discussion) I believe the decision might have been a wise one.

I had considerable interest in mine when I offered it. I have box, all packaging and accessories.
post #198 of 215 Old 10-22-2017, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR1 View Post
OP - Did you ever buy? We discussed a sale of mine and after much thought I just got a refund on the LG OLED that I actually never had delivered. I'm not regretting my decision at all and judging from conversations over there(OLED discussion) I believe the decision might have been a wise one.

I had considerable interest in mine when I offered it. I have box, all packaging and accessories.
I haven't bought yet. I am in the middle of my basement renovation (thread in the dedicated HT builder forum) so no hurry to get one for the time being. I'm keeping a watch out though. The set I am currently using is a cheap 32in Vizio that I used as a digital picture frame. It works surprisingly well for me so I may end up buying a 75in led.
post #199 of 215 Old 10-24-2017, 01:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Corrieri View Post

I think that 4K surpasses what plasma does. ...

There's a 49" Samsung KS8000 (4k HDR) sitting in there now - again, it lacks nothing.

Used plasma pricing is ridiculous considering the competition now in used HDR 4k Sets....
4k is simply a measurement of the panel's pixel density, and unless you sit at about 4' or less from that 49" screen, your eyes cannot discern the difference between 1080p and 4k.

HDR is a different matter, although content is still limited.

Having said this, the KS8000 is a very good TV with very good blacks and its dynamic range is likely to be considerably better than an old plasma. But at a normal bedroom viewing distance, 4k is irrelevant on a 49" screen.
sickkent likes this.
post #200 of 215 Old 11-21-2017, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My newest project:
Picked up a TC-P50UT50 from 2012 broken for $50 bucks. This is a very underrated TV. It has no power, no blinking lights nothing. I've found the repair manual and run some tests and think it's the power supply. I got one ordered from E-bay for $36. If my calculations are correct I'll be in for $86. Will keep you all posted.
impreza276 and sickkent like this.
post #201 of 215 Old 12-02-2017, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My newest project:
Picked up a TC-P50UT50 from 2012 broken for $50 bucks. This is a very underrated TV. It has no power, no blinking lights nothing. I've found the repair manual and run some tests and think it's the power supply. I got one ordered from E-bay for $36. If my calculations are correct I'll be in for $86. Will keep you all posted.
K I got it up and running but not quite according to plan. I though it was the power supply because I was only getting 4.4 volts and repair manual said 5. Bought a power supply for $36 put it in nothing. The new board was reading about 4.4 also. So assuming the power supply was good I went to the next test which was to disconnect A1 on the A-board. If you get no click then replace the A-board. Bought an A-board for $120 put it in and it fired right up. The best part is the UT50 only has 1132 hrs on it. It's been turned on 1218 times. I asked the seller why so low and he said it was a bedroom TV. Makes sense why the count is higher than the hrs.
TV $50
Power Supply $36
A-Board $120
Total $206

Going to re list the power supply and get a few bucks back plus list the broken A board.
sickkent likes this.
post #202 of 215 Old 12-02-2017, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I just picked up a Panasonic P60ST60 in mint condition with only 1025 hours! Only paid $350 for it, found it on Craigslist, awesome deal in my opinion. The picture on this thing is awesome.
RWetmore and sickkent like this.
post #203 of 215 Old 12-03-2017, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YayArea View Post
I just picked up a Panasonic P60ST60 in mint condition with only 1025 hours! Only paid $350 for it, found it on Craigslist, awesome deal in my opinion. The picture on this thing is awesome.
Very good considering the hrs. Like new.
post #204 of 215 Old 03-07-2018, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 234
I'm good on plasma TVs myself (have 3 still) but I looked a couple of times at Craigslist in the last few weeks. Prices have cratered in the DC-Bmore metro area. The inflated prices weren't realistic or sustainable. Particularly in light of the deep, deep discounts on 55" and 65" LG OLEDs over holiday 2017.

It's a good time to buy a high-end used plasma, I think, if that appeals to you

LG OLED65B7 | Yamaha v661 | Aperion 5.1 w/ SVS sub | PS4 Pro | Xbox One X | HTPC (i7-7700K, 1080 Ti, Define Nano S)
Pioneer 5020FD | Panasonic 46S30 | Hitachi P50V701
post #205 of 215 Old 03-28-2018, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandis View Post
I'm good on plasma TVs myself (have 3 still) but I looked a couple of times at Craigslist in the last few weeks. Prices have cratered in the DC-Bmore metro area. The inflated prices weren't realistic or sustainable. Particularly in light of the deep, deep discounts on 55" and 65" LG OLEDs over holiday 2017.

It's a good time to buy a high-end used plasma, I think, if that appeals to you
I'm back on the plasma train too. A few months ago I gambled on a $400 Samsung PN64F8500 that needed repair. It is now up and running, though I came close to giving up on it. One reason I almost abandoned it is that I am now using a projector with a 130 inch screen. It is so immersive and engaging I have forgotten about black levels, etc.

On pricing I think I made the right call when I started the thread. The bottom has gone out of the Plasma market.
Ozymandis likes this.
post #206 of 215 Old 03-28-2018, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
I'm back on the plasma train too. A few months ago I gambled on a $400 Samsung PN64F8500 that needed repair. It is now up and running, though I came close to giving up on it. One reason I almost abandoned it is that I am now using a projector with a 130 inch screen. It is so immersive and engaging I have forgotten about black levels, etc.

On pricing I think I made the right call when I started the thread. The bottom has gone out of the Plasma market.

Can I ask what the problem with the 8500 was?What was the fix?
post #207 of 215 Old 03-28-2018, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Sure, the details are here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-pl...l#post55288484

and here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-pl...l#post55933758

I got in touch with Nicks TV repair service in Tucson AZ, mailed them the boards they requested and they diagnosed the problem. The solution was replacing the x-sus board with a refubished one.
post #208 of 215 Old 03-28-2018, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Sure, the details are here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-pl...l#post55288484

and here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-pl...l#post55933758

I got in touch with Nicks TV repair service in Tucson AZ, mailed them the boards they requested and they diagnosed the problem. The solution was replacing the x-sus board with a refubished one.
Thank You.
There is one in my area on Craigslist that's in need of repair.I'm thinking of making an offer.
post #209 of 215 Old 03-28-2018, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg35 View Post
Thank You.
There is one in my area on Craigslist that's in need of repair.I'm thinking of making an offer.
I wouldn't want to go through the repair again unless it was my own set or I buy one at throw-away price.
post #210 of 215 Old 04-07-2018, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So, I have a 9g 5020FD Kuro manufactured in Jun '08 that is literally sitting in a room doing nothing. I also have the board that turns it into a elite model that is still in a sealed package that i never installed as well. It seems like the value of these have gone way down with the advent of cheap 4k TVs and lowering OLED TV's. Granted I bet the Kuro would still hold it's own but the general buying public doesn't really get that which shrinks the buying market for a Kuro even smaller. I bet i could sell the elite board pretty easy and recoup my money but what's the value of the plasma itself? Just curious if worth trying to sell or just keep it and eventually put it in a room in my house somewhere.

My living room is now a Epson projector setup, a 50 is too large my bedroom and my MIL lives in the basement but with how much TV she watches i'm afraid of burn in as she just aimlessly leaves it on hence why i haven't done anything with it. In essence i've actually been keeping it as a 'back up' in case my projector broke for some reason.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks,

Last edited by Jim_0068; 04-07-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page