Panasonic VT60 - pink on white background - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
  • 1 Post By JPowers
  • 1 Post By capsmvp
  • 1 Post By JPowers
  • 1 Post By JPowers
  • 1 Post By JPowers
  • 2 Post By LarryInRI
  • 1 Post By seffys
  • 1 Post By RandyWalters
  • 1 Post By JPowers
  • 1 Post By Bruce2019
  • 1 Post By Bruce2019

post #1 of 27 Old 09-15-2017, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Panasonic VT60 - pink on white background

I have a 60" Panasonic VT60 that looks great 90% of the time, unless there's a white background. Mainly on the right side of the screen, I see a pink spot. Although I have a Squaretrade warranty, I'm not sure if it's worth taking advantage of. Since these TVs are obsolete, I'm not sure if replacement panels are even available. I called Panasonic and they didn't have that information and suggested that I contact a local service center. Do they offer you a replacement LED TV if your plasma requires replacement, or are there still parts available? I definitely don't want an LCD/LED, and as I mentioned, the picture on this thing looks fantastic most of the time. I'm just wondering if a fix is possible before the warranty expires. Thanks for the help!
neeraj01 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 09-15-2017, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPowers View Post
I have a 60" Panasonic VT60 that looks great 90% of the time, unless there's a white background. Mainly on the right side of the screen, I see a pink spot. Although I have a Squaretrade warranty, I'm not sure if it's worth taking advantage of. Since these TVs are obsolete, I'm not sure if replacement panels are even available. I called Panasonic and they didn't have that information and suggested that I contact a local service center. Do they offer you a replacement LED TV if your plasma requires replacement, or are there still parts available? I definitely don't want an LCD/LED, and as I mentioned, the picture on this thing looks fantastic most of the time. I'm just wondering if a fix is possible before the warranty expires. Thanks for the help!
I might be wrong, but if the item cannot be repaired, then I believe squaretrade will just write you a check for what you paid for the item. The replacement is up to you to purchase if it comes down to that.
post #3 of 27 Old 09-16-2017, 04:41 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Change vsus to high in the service menu and the problem should be fixed.
JPowers likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 09-16-2017, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjohnson1717 View Post
I might be wrong, but if the item cannot be repaired, then I believe squaretrade will just write you a check for what you paid for the item. The replacement is up to you to purchase if it comes down to that.
I think you're correct, but that's why I'm trying to find out if replacement panels are still available under warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsmvp View Post
Change vsus to high in the service menu and the problem should be fixed.
I hope you're right, but I can't seem to find this. I'm using D-Nice's professional settings, if that makes a difference. If you get a chance, could you please find the exact section for me? I'd really appreciate it, thank you!
post #5 of 27 Old 09-17-2017, 04:05 AM

Liked: 14
Hello,

i have this issue as well, VT60 65" pink on white background on the right side of the screen.

"Change vsus to high in the service menu and the problem should be fixed."

can you please explain? what is the service menu?

thank you
post #6 of 27 Old 09-17-2017, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seffys View Post
Hello,

i have this issue as well, VT60 65" pink on white background on the right side of the screen.

thank you
I had forgotten about the service menu until after I asked where to make these adjustments. For some reason, I thought it was in the calibration section. Although I haven't found the specific button sequence for the VT60, a quick Google search found the exact issue we're going through here, including a guy who was asking about panel replacement and Squaretrade, just like me:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-pl...-talk-565.html

If I can't find it in that thread, I'll make a post.
post #7 of 27 Old 09-17-2017, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hello,

thank you
I found it here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-pl...-s-thread.html
seffys likes this.
post #8 of 27 Old 09-17-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Thank you, I just want to confirm that I understand you right
I should enter to the service menu and to change the Vsus to high to fix the pink spot on white background?

Any impact? Can I broke something?

Thx!

Last edited by seffys; 09-17-2017 at 01:38 PM.
post #9 of 27 Old 09-17-2017, 01:37 PM

Successfully enter to service menu and see vsus as low, I didn’t manage to change it to high, how can I do it?
post #10 of 27 Old 09-17-2017, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Successfully enter to service menu and see vsus as low, I didn’t manage to change it to high, how can I do it?
This is the first time I've done this, so I don't know all the options. When you're in VSUS, you'll see the options on the top left hand side of the screen. First hit "OK" for VSUS test, then use the volume to adjust between high or low. I don't know what 3,4 TEST/CONF SELECT means, though. When I set it to HIGH, then enter 3, it looks perfect. With 4, I still see a little bit of pink. So, I just enter 3, then select "OK" to write, then hit the power button. I seem to recall that you're supposed to hit the power button on the TV itself, so that's what I did. I went back into the menu and it's still on high, so that's good.
seffys likes this.
post #11 of 27 Old 09-17-2017, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thank you, I just want to confirm that I understand you right
I should enter to the service menu and to change the Vsus to high to fix the pink spot on white background?

Any impact? Can I broke something?

Thx!
Yes, it's easy to screw things up in the service menu, so as it states in the link I provided, be careful not to touch the volume control when you're in the wrong menu, as it will adjust values that you're not familiar with. I'm going to do some more searching tonight, but from what I've read so far, switching VSUS to high won't have a significant impact on the life of the panel. This is a common fix.
seffys likes this.
post #12 of 27 Old 09-17-2017, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 193
The pink spot is common. You will find that it is located at the hottest place on the panel. (Run your hand over the back cover to prove this.)

Before attempting a VSUS adjustment, clean out the fans. While the set is on, use a can of compressed air to blow out any dust that may be blocking the flow of exhaust air. Some have found that just using a vacuum cleaner over the vents works as well.

If you want to try the VSUS adjustment, the attachment will show how. I have yet to find anyone who has found changing VSUS to solve the issue.

The only way to reduce the coloration is to reduce the heat using fans. Some have attached external fans right over the TV's fan opening. I have had luck with inexpensive USB powered fans placed on the TV stand pointing at the vents to move air over the vents and dissipate the hot air coming from out of the TV.

Larry

Attached Images
File Type: jpg VSUS.JPG (92.5 KB, 384 views)
seffys and JPowers like this.
post #13 of 27 Old 09-17-2017, 11:33 PM

thank you all guys! appreciated.

i will try to clean the vents with vacuum cleaner, actually after few hours is extremely hot over the back panel, i will try to cool it a little bit.
if it wont solve the pink issue i will try to change the vsus.

thx again.
JPowers likes this.
post #14 of 27 Old 09-18-2017, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked: 920
Quote:
I think you're correct, but that's why I'm trying to find out if replacement panels are still available under warranty.
There are no new replacement panels available for any Panasonic Plasma TV.

Panasonic didn't even have any available when the TVs were still in production in 2013 - they just replaced the whole TV instead of warrantying a failed panel.

JPowers likes this.

Randy
Sony XBR-55X900E, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Darbee DVP-5000S, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - https://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #15 of 27 Old 09-18-2017, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post
If you want to try the VSUS adjustment, the attachment will show how. I have yet to find anyone who has found changing VSUS to solve the issue.

The only way to reduce the coloration is to reduce the heat using fans. Some have attached external fans right over the TV's fan opening. I have had luck with inexpensive USB powered fans placed on the TV stand pointing at the vents to move air over the vents and dissipate the hot air coming from out of the TV.
Thank you. Unfortunately, I didn't see your post until after I had already adjusted VSUS to high. Changing VSUS to high did solve the problem, though. Now you've found one person who had positive results from changing VSUS to high! What are the negative side effects from leaving it on high? Any greater sensitivity to screen burn or anything like that?

I took your advice and used compressed air to blow out the dust WHEN the TV was on. This was a good idea. I'd also like to rig some external fans to help with cooling. Are there any threads out there I should search for that show how to rig these fans?

One more thing...I still don't understand "3,4 TEST/CONF SELECT" according to what I've described in my post above. The numbers seem reversed, according to your image. 3 should be TEST and 4 should be CONF SELECT, but it's the other way around? It sounds like I did it correctly, but It doesn't make sense that 3 looks better than 4. They should look the same.

Also, what does this mean? "Do not overwrite because data is written in NAND Flash after executing adjustment of V-SUS Voltage." I hit OK at the end to write. Are they saying not to do this too many times? Sorry about all the questions! I tried searching and couldn't find the answers.

Quote:
thank you all guys! appreciated.
You're welcome, but I just learned this myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
There are no new replacement panels available for any Panasonic Plasma TV.

Panasonic didn't even have any available when the TVs were still in production in 2013 - they just replaced the whole TV instead of warrantying a failed panel.
Thank you, this is exactly what I needed to know. The only suitable replacement I'd want is an OLED, and they're still too expensive. Besides, I love this TV.
seffys likes this.
post #16 of 27 Old 09-18-2017, 01:25 PM

Hi all,
So I tried to clean the vents with soft wet towels and dust hovering, but the back panel is extremely hot on both side of the screen, it’s pretty hard to clean them, my screen mounted to wall.

Anyway, I changed the VSUS to high and the pink spot disappeared, in the test screen and actually on any white background.

What High VSUS actually mean? Any impact on my screen for short or long term?

Thank you
post #17 of 27 Old 09-19-2017, 02:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Hi all,
So I tried to clean the vents with soft wet towels and dust hovering, but the back panel is extremely hot on both side of the screen, it’s pretty hard to clean them, my screen mounted to wall.

Anyway, I changed the VSUS to high and the pink spot disappeared, in the test screen and actually on any white background.

What High VSUS actually mean? Any impact on my screen for short or long term?

Thank you

Put it of the wall.. They get even hotter with the little space between the tv and the wall..

2013 Panasonic TX-P42STW60 PDP
2013 Panasonic TX-P42X60E PDP
2019 Panasonic TX-40GXW804 LCD
post #18 of 27 Old 09-19-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce2019 View Post
Put it of the wall.. They get even hotter with the little space between the tv and the wall..
I will do it for sure.

Meantime what about the vsus new settings on high?
Any risk?
The pink spot disappeared.
post #19 of 27 Old 09-19-2017, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I will do it for sure.

Meantime what about the vsus new settings on high?
Any risk?
The pink spot disappeared.

I have read alot about Vsus low vs high, I also have read about information from panasonic.. So I try to explain it here very short..but I can not give you a 100% accurate technical explanation..

Vsus low or high controls voltage and has something to do with the plasma cells working perfectly..

It can happen that with Vsus Low.. some pixels will turn red.. you then have to use Vsus high..

Every panel is different.. some run fine on low.. some are per default running on high..

High should always be used if there are any red pixels in white on Vsus Low..

seffys likes this.

post #20 of 27 Old 09-19-2017, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So absolutly no risk at all..

High is fine!
seffys likes this.

post #21 of 27 Old 09-19-2017, 12:19 PM

Thank you very much for this explanation!
So far so good with high
post #22 of 27 Old 12-03-2017, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just wanted to say that I also had great success fixing the pink spots on my VT60 by adjusting VSUS to 'high'. The '3' setting was by far the best on my TV, like JPowers also stated. I'd say it fixed the issue by about 90%. I have no idea what any of this means but thankful for AVSforums once again! I was considering going to battle with Square Trade over this, but now content on sticking with my VT60 for a while longer.
post #23 of 27 Old 12-11-2017, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'm thinking of trying the VSUS high fix for for pink discoloration on my VT60, but I'm wondering if I change the VSUS setting, will that throw off my calibration? My panel was calibrated by D-Nice a while back, and I'd rather not mess that up if possible. I only ever notice the pink discoloration on an all white screen, so I can live with it if it will throw off my calibration.
post #24 of 27 Old 12-11-2017, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsketchie View Post
I'm thinking of trying the VSUS high fix for for pink discoloration on my VT60, but I'm wondering if I change the VSUS setting, will that throw off my calibration? My panel was calibrated by D-Nice a while back, and I'd rather not mess that up if possible. I only ever notice the pink discoloration on an all white screen, so I can live with it if it will throw off my calibration.
Yes I believe it will. I learned my lesson with the yellow blobs on my VT50 so my warranty replacement VT60 got fans at 300 hours. I have over 12,000 hours and no blobs. It's the heat that is damaging the panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	200x400px-LL-edeb2f48_IMG_20140107_150815_513.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	2329040  
post #25 of 27 Old 12-11-2017, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by merccrazy View Post
Yes I believe it will. I learned my lesson with the yellow blobs on my VT50 so my warranty replacement VT60 got fans at 300 hours. I have over 12,000 hours and no blobs. It's the heat that is damaging the panel.
Yeah, Panasonic really made their later panels too thin to try and compete with LCDs - should've given them more room to breathe. I have quite a few hours on my panel, so I'm assuming the pink areas are permanent. I'm still going to go into the VSUS menu just out of curiosity, but I'll probably just keep things as they are unless there is some mind blowing improvement.
post #26 of 27 Old 12-29-2017, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by merccrazy View Post
Which fans did you use?

Also, has anyone had success adding fans after the pink appeared? I have been away from the forums for a while, but my TV def has the pink blobs on a white screen.

I know it doesn't help that I have the TV mounted to a low profile mount above a fireplace, so hopefully a few USB fans will do the trick.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by slosvt; 12-29-2017 at 09:15 AM.
post #27 of 27 Old 12-29-2017, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by slosvt View Post
Which fans did you use?

Also, has anyone had success adding fans after the pink appeared? I have been away from the forums for a while, but my TV def has the pink blobs on a white screen.

I know it doesn't help that I have the TV mounted to a low profile mount above a fireplace, so hopefully a few USB fans will do the trick.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
This is what I have. I run four on my 65VT60 and Two on my 51F8500. The link is not my company but the picture is my TV. Very nice setup and cheep. I finally had to replace my fan power supply but it lasted over 12,000 hours and is only 15 bucks to replace.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Plasma-LCD-...cAAOSw3ydVpub3
I don't use the thermostat. He added that over the USB switch that turns the fans on with the TV. I want mine to run whenever the set is on.

Last edited by merccrazy; 12-29-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page