Should I Fix or Replace My Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020FD? Ask the Editors - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 61Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 79 Old 10-16-2017, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Scott Wilkinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 3,258
Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked: 4905
Should I Fix or Replace My Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020FD? Ask the Editors

Jim's Pioneer Kuro is really showing its age, especially after the power fluctuations during Hurricane Irma. Should he get it fixed or replace it?

https://www.avsforum.com/ask-editors-...ro-pdp-5020fd/
freeman4 likes this.
Scott Wilkinson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 79 Old 10-16-2017, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,038
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 209
The sparkles and Red Tint can be fixed by entering the service menu and changing some values. Is it worth fixing? Yes because the fix is basically free. All he will need to buy is a cable. He will need to do his research. All the info is available right here on AVS.
Test Ickles is offline  
post #3 of 79 Old 10-16-2017, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Scott Wilkinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 3,258
Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked: 4905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test Ickles View Post
The sparkles and Red Tint can be fixed by entering the service menu and changing some values. Is it worth fixing? Yes because the fix is basically free. All he will need to buy is a cable. He will need to do his research. All the info is available right here on AVS.
Well, I didn't know that! Can you point to a thread in which this is discussed? Thanks!
Scott Wilkinson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 79 Old 10-16-2017, 08:14 PM
Member
 
jjv238's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 17
No way I could have gone from replacing my Kuros with anything other than OLEDs due to the black levels. It is tough to even watch a lot of these new LCD LED backlit crap.
TheBrandon likes this.
jjv238 is offline  
post #5 of 79 Old 10-16-2017, 08:42 PM
Member
 
jjv238's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 17
This is the thread I used a few years ago, it worked for me.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/#/topics/1532421

Last edited by jjv238; 10-16-2017 at 08:52 PM.
jjv238 is offline  
post #6 of 79 Old 10-17-2017, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
ll Viper ll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 825
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test Ickles View Post
The sparkles and Red Tint can be fixed by entering the service menu and changing some values. Is it worth fixing? Yes because the fix is basically free. All he will need to buy is a cable. He will need to do his research. All the info is available right here on AVS.
yup, don't toss that kuro until you've tried the black level/red tint tweaks in those threads (you can find them by just searching red tint kuro thread or red tint fix I think).


Worked to optimize/return black levels to factory level or better all while ridding the unit of the dreaded magenta sparkles. Granted these aren't forever fixes but they should be good for much longer than he intends to keep the unit, I'm guessing.


User makaveddie81 was immensely helpful with this, as he's a real kuro buyer/fixer. For a nominal fee, he will assist in accessing or even performing the fixes remotely for you. He sells software that can assist in this as well.


Well worth the cost imo. EDIT: I should note that this was a year + ago when he helped me, not sure if he's still active but it's probably worth a shot.
biliam1982 and freeman4 like this.
ll Viper ll is offline  
post #7 of 79 Old 10-17-2017, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
p5browne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 10,168
Mentioned: 238 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3991 Post(s)
Liked: 3166
Also, with there having been a storm, and if the Kuro wasn't protected with a UPS, he may need to take the back cover off, and replace swollen capacitors. You can either replace them yourself, or usually a competent electronics repair guy will probably do it for less than $100. Normally it's just unclipping connections to the PS board, and taking it into the repair guy. Note, while in there you may find the screws holding down the PS and other boards have worked loose over the years, so, if no swollen capacitors, tighten ALL mounting screws to improve grounding. See if that works.

UN65KS9800 - Mine
UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
p5browne is offline  
post #8 of 79 Old 10-17-2017, 08:30 AM
Senior Member
 
Fizban19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv238 View Post
No way I could have gone from replacing my Kuros with anything other than OLEDs due to the black levels. It is tough to even watch a lot of these new LCD LED backlit crap.
I thought the same thing until the OP mentioned that he uses his Kuro as a computer monitor . If that is his main use, I would get an LCD. Using an expensive OLED TV as a computer monitor is sacrilege....hell, using the Kuro as a computer monitor is sacrilege!

My 9 year old KRP 500M Kuro displays a better HD cable broadcast then my 4K LG OLED. 4K discs are another story though .
Fizban19 is offline  
post #9 of 79 Old 10-17-2017, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ozymandis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hagerstown, MD
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
Well, I didn't know that! Can you point to a thread in which this is discussed? Thanks!
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-pl...set-guide.html

The steps are a little different for the 5020FD- you only need to enter the "FAY" command to enter the service menu, then hit the "Mute" button on your remote to get to the adjustment menu. I just bought a used 5020FD from Craigslist and the resources in that thread, plus makaveddie81's awesome advice, got my display sorted out. These Kuro plasmas still look gorgeous, and when tweaked the black levels are only beaten by OLED.
freeman4 likes this.

LG OLED65B7 | Yamaha v661 | Aperion 5.1 w/ SVS sub | PS4 Pro | Xbox One X | HTPC (i7-7700K, 1080 Ti, Define Nano S)
Pioneer 5020FD | Panasonic 46S30 | Hitachi P50V701
Ozymandis is offline  
post #10 of 79 Old 10-17-2017, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Scott Wilkinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 3,258
Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked: 4905
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv238 View Post
This is the thread I used a few years ago, it worked for me.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/#/topics/1532421?page=1
Unfortunately, that link takes me to the main forum index, not to a particular thread. Can you provide any other links to relevant threads? Thanks!
Scott Wilkinson is offline  
post #11 of 79 Old 10-17-2017, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Scott Wilkinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 3,258
Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked: 4905
Quote:
Originally Posted by ll Viper ll View Post
yup, don't toss that kuro until you've tried the black level/red tint tweaks in those threads (you can find them by just searching red tint kuro thread or red tint fix I think).


Worked to optimize/return black levels to factory level or better all while ridding the unit of the dreaded magenta sparkles. Granted these aren't forever fixes but they should be good for much longer than he intends to keep the unit, I'm guessing.


User makaveddie81 was immensely helpful with this, as he's a real kuro buyer/fixer. For a nominal fee, he will assist in accessing or even performing the fixes remotely for you. He sells software that can assist in this as well.


Well worth the cost imo. EDIT: I should note that this was a year + ago when he helped me, not sure if he's still active but it's probably worth a shot.
I searched for "red tint kuro" and "red tint fix" and got a l long list of irrelevant threads, apparently because some of the words in the search string are too common. Any other ideas of word strings to search for?
Scott Wilkinson is offline  
post #12 of 79 Old 10-17-2017, 10:47 AM
Member
 
jjv238's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv238 View Post
This is the thread I used a few years ago, it worked for me.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/#/topics/1532421?page=1
Unfortunately, that link takes me to the main forum index, not to a particular thread. Can you provide any other links to relevant threads? Thanks!

Scott, that is bizarre, I just clicked on the link from my iPhone and it takes me to the Pioneer Kuro Post Reset Recovery Guide. I don?t quite know what else to link because it works fine on my end. Maybe try googling Pioneer Kuro Post Reset Recovery Guide avs and it should show up I would think.
jjv238 is offline  
post #13 of 79 Old 10-17-2017, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Scott Wilkinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 3,258
Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked: 4905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandis View Post
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-pl...set-guide.html

The steps are a little different for the 5020FD- you only need to enter the "FAY" command to enter the service menu, then hit the "Mute" button on your remote to get to the adjustment menu. I just bought a used 5020FD from Craigslist and the resources in that thread, plus makaveddie81's awesome advice, got my display sorted out. These Kuro plasmas still look gorgeous, and when tweaked the black levels are only beaten by OLED.
Now we're talking! That procedure looks pretty daunting! Also, I couldn't find anything in the OP of that thread that mentions magenta sparklies, but maybe I just missed it. I'll add this link to the original article. Thanks!
freeman4 likes this.
Scott Wilkinson is offline  
post #14 of 79 Old 10-17-2017, 10:58 AM
Senior Member
 
TheZoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Not the USA
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Great thread.

Love my Kuro. It really was the best electronic purchase I have ever made.

I still get people comment on how good the picture looks on the TV and then they always ask "why is the tv so thick"?

Hope you get it sorted. I will be buying a new TV soon however will try and put my Kuro somewhere in the home.
Ozymandis and freeman4 like this.

Zoof

Theater || 82NU8000 | Pioneer SC-LX901 | Paradigm 85F - 55C - 15B - E80R | Syzygy SLF870
Rec || Pioneer KRP 500m | Pioneer SC-25 | PSB B25
Casual || LC-65LBU591C
TheZoof is offline  
post #15 of 79 Old 10-17-2017, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Scott Wilkinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 3,258
Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked: 4905
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv238 View Post
Scott, that is bizarre, I just clicked on the link from my iPhone and it takes me to the Pioneer Kuro Post Reset Recovery Guide. I don?t quite know what else to link because it works fine on my end. Maybe try googling Pioneer Kuro Post Reset Recovery Guide avs and it should show up I would think.
You're right, that is bizarre! I found the thread you're referring to, and I added it to the article. Thanks!
Scott Wilkinson is offline  
post #16 of 79 Old 10-17-2017, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
ll Viper ll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 825
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
Now we're talking! That procedure looks pretty daunting! Also, I couldn't find anything in the OP of that thread that mentions magenta sparklies, but maybe I just missed it. I'll add this link to the original article. Thanks!

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-pl...et-panels.html


A lot of what's in there is relevant to non-500m models with minor tweaks. This and the reset guide combined are a great resource. Props again to everyone who contributed.


Edit: The 500m thread has a really hand, concise guide. The below thread has a lot more in depth discussion (toward the end) from users on what worked on their various models...even if you weren't going to keep the Kuro for more than another year, this stuff is just fun to me so I didn't mind digging through the threads when I was first considering tweaking my original 5020. It was so rewarding I bought a second 5020 with a bad mainboard off CL for $50, used an eBay repair service for the bum mainboard for $100, and put it back together myself (and then did the red tint removal/black level tweaking).


https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-pl...thread-99.html
freeman4 likes this.

Last edited by ll Viper ll; 10-17-2017 at 11:11 AM.
ll Viper ll is offline  
post #17 of 79 Old 10-17-2017, 11:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
Jim's Pioneer Kuro is really showing its age, especially after the power fluctuations during Hurricane Irma. Should he get it fixed or replace it?

https://www.avsforum.com/ask-editors-...ro-pdp-5020fd/
Like what others said above, git down 'n dirty by adjusting voltage tweaks.

And get a APC Liner R 1200 voltage regulator for just $50
freeman4 likes this.
34-hfx-83 is offline  
post #18 of 79 Old 10-17-2017, 11:15 AM
Senior Member
 
freeman4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 1057
Scott,

Thank you for posting my issue.

In the meantime, I discovered, read, and obtained the help I needed in the thread referenced in a few of the above posts, the Pioneer 8G 9G Kuro Reset Guide thread.
The link to the page where I received my help is: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-pl...l#post54962828

It was just a matter of connecting a null modem cable to the tv, establishing communications with a terminal program, and issuing some commands. Now my tv is practically perfect again. I may do some further tweaking, but I am very pleased with the results.

Big thanks to user, makaveddie81 who really knows how to tweak Kuros!

Thanks again for posting my issue and for all the helpful comments!

BTW, although I use my Kuro as a computer monitor, I mainly use my computer as a media center. Also in the chain are an Onkyo TX-NR807 and some Paradigm speakers. I also have an Oppo BDP-80 for blu-ray viewing as well as DVD-A and SACD listening. In addition, I am now protecting my tv and avr with a ups.
Ozymandis and Mashie Saldana like this.
freeman4 is offline  
post #19 of 79 Old 10-17-2017, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,911
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1996 Post(s)
Liked: 1896
the only thing that gets me is the 'using as a computer monitor' part.

for that particular use, it may be completely acceptable(even better) to use a newer 4k lcd screen. for tv/movie/gaming i would definitely steer the owner towards an oled if it can't be fixed through the service menu.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is offline  
post #20 of 79 Old 10-17-2017, 02:46 PM
Member
 
Lurker123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeman4 View Post
Scott,
BTW, although I use my Kuro as a computer monitor, I mainly use my computer as a media center. Also in the chain are an Onkyo TX-NR807 and some Paradigm speakers. I also have an Oppo BDP-80 for blu-ray viewing as well as DVD-A and SACD listening. In addition, I am now protecting my tv and avr with a ups.
Well, in that case I'm using my 65" ZT60 as a computer monitor....

But yes, I have 1300 to 1500 kVa UPSes for all my electronic equipment, except my AVR and subs, which are only on the surge protection side of their respective UPS or surge protectors (pulls too much current)
Lurker123 is offline  
post #21 of 79 Old 10-17-2017, 03:10 PM
Member
 
phxrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I was stuck on my Panasonic plasma and thought I needed a really expensive OLED to replace it and conventional LED wouldn't do, but now I have a Vizio P75 and couldn't be happier. Just replace it with one of the author's recommendations, you won't be sorry.
phxrider is offline  
post #22 of 79 Old 10-17-2017, 03:20 PM
Member
 
hhowards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Mateo, California
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 73
"As good as the Kuro was, it was 1080p SDR (standard dynamic range), and the video world has moved on to 2160p HDR"

I would amend that statement to say "some of the video world has moved on..." Finding full 2160p HDR programming can still be hit-or-miss, especially on cable TV, where it is all but non-existent. I will keep my 1080p plasma TV as long as I possibly can, because it displays a beautiful, realistic picture (live broadcast sports -- even in 720p -- can look amazing on plasma) and the vast majority of the media available to me is still not UHD/HDR, including my entire Blu-ray collection. The fact that my plasma TV is 1080p/SDR would be one of the least important factors I'd personally take into consideration when trying to decide whether to replace my set with a newer model. I'm also rather averse to junking good technology that is still performing perfectly well for me.

I'm really glad to hear that Jim has found the solution for his Kuro, restoring its ability to display a gorgeous image, hopefully for years to come...
freeman4 likes this.

Routinely stumbling down rabbit holes...
hhowards is offline  
post #23 of 79 Old 10-17-2017, 03:52 PM
Yog
Member
 
Yog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Never ever get rid of your KURO, you still not gonna get any TV to that level.

I still enjoy my KURO PRO151FD and Elite Signature PRO141FD both calibrated. The other day we were out to get the best 4K options but my wife comments were that she doesn't notice any difference.

Glad your issue is resolved.
freeman4 likes this.

Last edited by Yog; 10-17-2017 at 04:06 PM.
Yog is offline  
post #24 of 79 Old 10-17-2017, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mr.SoftDome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,551
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked: 528
What a load of crap
Mr.SoftDome is online now  
post #25 of 79 Old 10-17-2017, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,038
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yog View Post
Never ever get rid of your KURO, you still not gonna get any TV to that level.

I still enjoy my KURO PRO151FD and Elite Signature PRO141FD both calibrated. The other day we were out to get the best 4K options but my wife comments were that she doesn't notice any difference.

Glad your issue is resolved.
He's right. My KRP-600M is my favorite TV and I have a VT60 and an LGB6 OLED. Can the Kuro do HDR and is it's black as good as the OLED? No but on HD programming and Blu Ray's (95% of what I watch) it's great.
Ozymandis and freeman4 like this.
Test Ickles is offline  
post #26 of 79 Old 10-17-2017, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,038
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
the only thing that gets me is the 'using as a computer monitor' part.

for that particular use, it may be completely acceptable(even better) to use a newer 4k lcd screen. for tv/movie/gaming i would definitely steer the owner towards an oled if it can't be fixed through the service menu.
I use a Panasonic TC-50GT30 as my computer monitor. It's great. What I do to avoid image retention is to vary the size of the image. I go into the catalyst control center (CCC) of the computer and change up the image size once in awhile. 100% is too big on a 50" sitting at a desk. Making it about 42" to 45" is perfect. Then after every session I run the image scroll in the TV menu for 5 minutes or so to clear up the black bar retention that goes around the edges. If I wind up with a little burn I don't care. Bought this set broken and fixed it.
Test Ickles is offline  
post #27 of 79 Old 10-17-2017, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,038
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeman4 View Post
Scott,

Thank you for posting my issue.

In the meantime, I discovered, read, and obtained the help I needed in the thread referenced in a few of the above posts, the Pioneer 8G 9G Kuro Reset Guide thread.
The link to the page where I received my help is: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-pl...l#post54962828

It was just a matter of connecting a null modem cable to the tv, establishing communications with a terminal program, and issuing some commands. Now my tv is practically perfect again. I may do some further tweaking, but I am very pleased with the results.

Big thanks to user, makaveddie81 who really knows how to tweak Kuros!

Thanks again for posting my issue and for all the helpful comments!

BTW, although I use my Kuro as a computer monitor, I mainly use my computer as a media center. Also in the chain are an Onkyo TX-NR807 and some Paradigm speakers. I also have an Oppo BDP-80 for blu-ray viewing as well as DVD-A and SACD listening. In addition, I am now protecting my tv and avr with a ups.
Yes makaveddie81 is the guru of Kuro's.
freeman4 likes this.
Test Ickles is offline  
post #28 of 79 Old 10-18-2017, 05:17 AM
Member
 
ntstambo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I can't believe anyone would even consider repairing these now unless they're going to be a collector's item.
ntstambo2 is offline  
post #29 of 79 Old 10-18-2017, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TheBrandon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,573
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntstambo2 View Post
I can't believe anyone would even consider repairing these now unless they're going to be a collector's item.
I certainly would. Depending on cost I'd probably just move to a 65 inch OLED. Isn't motion resolution on Kuros like 1080 lines compared to most 2160p devices at 300-700? @ .003 blacks, they are flat out hard to beat and the motion is incredible. I am sure this would depend on seating distance on the jump to 4k. My Kuro lives in a rec room so we are seated maybe 10 feet or so from a 50 inch. I have never seen a better picture all things considered and that includes OLED (factoring I've never seen on calibrated correctly and I also factor in motion resolution). For movies, we are in a dedicated theater room but its really hard to let a good plasma go.
TheBrandon is offline  
post #30 of 79 Old 10-18-2017, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ozymandis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hagerstown, MD
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntstambo2 View Post
I can't believe anyone would even consider repairing these now unless they're going to be a collector's item.
The cables are like $12, and it takes an hour or two of your time. What you get is a display that:

-has the absolute best black level available outside of the LG/Sony OLEDs
-handles motion better than anything currently on the market
-is more uniform than anything currently on the market
-handles 720p and 480p sources well compared to 4K TVs

I think that plasma still displays a beautiful picture that feels natural and pleasing. I'm with @Test Ickles , I actually prefer the quality of the image to my OLED, if I'm being honest, even though the OLED has better black levels. Where the OLED shines is with HDR, but for SDR like my Blu-ray collection, I'll watch that all day on my Kuro or Panny plasma

LG OLED65B7 | Yamaha v661 | Aperion 5.1 w/ SVS sub | PS4 Pro | Xbox One X | HTPC (i7-7700K, 1080 Ti, Define Nano S)
Pioneer 5020FD | Panasonic 46S30 | Hitachi P50V701
Ozymandis is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
ask the editors , kuro , PDP-5020FD , tcl 55" p-series , vizio 2016/2017 p-series & m-series displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off