• 1 Post By fierce_gt
  • 1 Post By RandyWalters

post #1 of 8 Old 01-30-2018, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Plasma tv matte vs glossy ?

I am sure this may be a silly question but I am in the market for a used plasma and I don't have much experience with them, so not sure if they are all glossy or matte, which is my question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-31-2018, 05:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod K View Post
I am sure this may be a silly question but I am in the market for a used plasma and I don't have much experience with them, so not sure if they are all glossy or matte, which is my question.
Matte will generally be less reflective and glossy could give you more glare. You will be hard pressed to find a plasma now though given that they have been EOL since ~2014
post #3 of 8 Old 01-31-2018, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:

Most of theme are glossy. But I would call it reflective..

The higher models had on top of the reflective glass a black filter, that reduced reflections and reduced washed out colours in a bright light environment. These are also glossy. On daytime it is easy to spot.. when you see a black screen then there is a good black filter. When you see a grey screen like a CRT.. the filter is not so good.

Matte plasmas are very rare.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/what...i-glare-filter

For what model/brand are you looking for? The more budget, the more reflective..

Panasonic 42inch ST60 owner
Panasonic 42inch S10 ES (Europe/Silver) owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-31-2018, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Vincent Praino View Post
Matte will generally be less reflective and glossy could give you more glare. You will be hard pressed to find a plasma now though given that they have been EOL since ~2014
You can find plenty of used ones.You do have to look around for decent deals though.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-31-2018, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 1884
my thoughts on matte vs glossy(which is really just for fun, since it's unlikely you can find a matte screen plasma anyway)

i'd much much much rather have 3% of the screen completely blown out, than 97% of the screen mostly washed out

and one shot without reflections just to prove its not entirely an unfair comparison

on top of that, 'glossy' screens are generally clearer and look more sharp. i'd take a 'glossy' screen over matte anyday, every day, and for every situation. but it's my preference only.
whipit likes this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
post #6 of 8 Old 02-02-2018, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Exactly! Glossy is the way to go.. In lcd world they sadly stopped producing them. Only some top end lcd tvs are glossy.. Almost all of the lcd are semi glossy and I dont like it..

Back in 2010 there where alot of glossy (samsung clear panel) lcds.. you can see the nice picture qualities on those pictures..

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/article...&id=1267184615

Panasonic 42inch ST60 owner
Panasonic 42inch S10 ES (Europe/Silver) owner
post #7 of 8 Old 02-09-2018, 06:58 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked: 885
Quote:
It wholly depends on the particular brand and model number - the type of AR Filter used on various models through the years varies widely.

Early models had a fairly non-reflective AR Filter, but later some brands/models were glossy/reflective with no AR Filter at all, some were semi-matte, a few were fully LCD-like matte, and some the later models have a somewhat reflective "Louver Filter" that rejects light from above while still having decent anti-reflective qualities.

If you are considering a particular model, post the specific model number here and we can tell you what the AR Filter is like.

Also let us know what your room environment is like, what kind of content you watch, and if you want the TV optimized for say movies at night or sports during the day, and if there are any windows located Behind your couch that would be reflected in the screen.

Dave in Green likes this.

Randy
Sony XBR-55X900E, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Darbee DVP-5000S, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - https://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #8 of 8 Old 02-10-2018, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 3539 Post(s)
Liked: 2728
@RandyWalters did a great job of expressing what I arrived at after much research before buying my two plasmas. My final analysis was that simple matte screens (not high quality filters) were the equivalent of smearing vaseline on camera lenses as they did in the old Hollywood days to produce a soft, dreamy look. Glossy clear glass screens were more like looking out my windows into the real world. Sure, I had to deal with screen reflections, same as when I look out my windows. But I ultimately decided I would rather deal with reflections at certain times of the day than with a smeared image all the time. In the daytime I simply max out screen brightness to help fight reflections and do all of my serious viewing at night either in the dark or with carefully positioned lighting that doesn't cause reflections. I basically treat serious viewing with my plasmas in a similar way to how I view my front projection setup. For casual viewing minor reflections are easy enough for me to ignore. If I wasn't serious about wanting the clearest and best image I would have just bought LCD TVs instead of plasmas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page