Panasonic TH-42PW4 Plasma Display just can't communicate with my cable minibox - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-01-2018, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Panasonic TH-42PW4 Plasma Display just can't communicate with my cable minibox

So I have this ancient Panasonic TH-42PW4 Plasma Display that came with my furnished apartment. I really don't have the money to replace it, so I'm stuck with it. It works very well, it's just pretty darned obsolete.

My cable service (Cox) moved to miniboxes last year, and the two devices just don't have the means to connect. The minibox has either coaxial or HDMI output. My choices of input (see attached screenshot) on the Panasonic are: 1) Component/RGB + Audio R/L, 2) PC + Audio, 3) Serial, or 4) AV Terminals In (this has S video + Audio R/L + another little video port)

Are there any cables or converter boxes out there that will somehow transmit video AND audio signals from my minibox to my display?

What I've tried so far: I found some cables on Amazon that I thought would do the trick, using the Component/RGB input, but the colors didn't match, and though I tried plugging them in every possible combination I had no success. I also found a cable that connected HDMI to the PC input, but that was video only, no audio.

Thanks for any help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-02-01 at 2.23.18 PM.png
Views:	14
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	2354930  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-01-2018, 06:39 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked: 885
A quick cheap solution would be to use any old VCR is a Coax-to-Composite Video converter. You run Coax from the mini-box to the VCR, then use a yellow/red/white Composite Video cable to the display. It will only be Standard Definition, but that old monitor is Standard Definition anyway.

There are some HDMI to Component Converters out there, but i don't have any direct experience with them. If you find one that works, you'll end up feeding the
TV a High Def signal via Component so the picture will look a lot better than with a VCR.

Here's one that looks promising: https://www.amazon.com/Aoken-Compone...nent+converter

It says it supports HDCP which is usually an issue with converting HDMI to an analog signal (such as Composite or Component). There are others on Amazon so read through the reviews and Q/A sections to see if people are getting good results.

Randy
Sony XBR-55X900E, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Darbee DVP-5000S, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - https://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #3 of 9 Old 02-03-2018, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks RandyWalters!

I did try that with an old VCR/DVD player I found at a garage sale. I can watch videos and DVDs with it, but I can't get the TV to play through it. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I will look at the converter type you suggested and try that. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by DesertHound; 02-03-2018 at 04:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-03-2018, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertHound View Post

What I've tried so far: I found some cables on Amazon that I thought would do the trick, using the Component/RGB input, but the colors didn't match,

What kind of cable ???

post #5 of 9 Old 02-04-2018, 09:34 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Thanks RandyWalters!

I did try that with an old VCR/DVD player I found at a garage sale. I can watch videos and DVDs with it, but I can't get the TV to play through it. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
It sounds like the Cox Mini-Box is not sending a suitable cable signal out from the Coax output (since the VCR and DVD playback is working with the TV).

Try setting the Mini-Box to output a 480i signal. It may be set in 720p or 1080i mode by default (which would be for the HDMI output) and if so, it will not send the Cable TV signal out through the coax to the VCR. It needs to be in 480i mode for the Coax output to work. The VCR should pass that through to the TV.

Also make sure the channel switches on the back of the Cox Mini-Box and VCR are both set to channel 3 (or maybe ch 4). Usually it's ch 3 though.

Randy
Sony XBR-55X900E, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Darbee DVP-5000S, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890 Remote.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-05-2018, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruZZi View Post
What kind of cable ???

It was an HDMI to RCA cable (?) Sorry, I don't remember the details, I returned it. The support tech at the cable company said he thought it would work, but of course it didn't. It didn't have any kind of signal conversion function.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-05-2018, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
It sounds like the Cox Mini-Box is not sending a suitable cable signal out from the Coax output (since the VCR and DVD playback is working with the TV).

Try setting the Mini-Box to output a 480i signal. It may be set in 720p or 1080i mode by default (which would be for the HDMI output) and if so, it will not send the Cable TV signal out through the coax to the VCR. It needs to be in 480i mode for the Coax output to work. The VCR should pass that through to the TV.

Also make sure the channel switches on the back of the Cox Mini-Box and VCR are both set to channel 3 (or maybe ch 4). Usually it's ch 3 though.

Okay, thank you. I'll pull it all out tomorrow and see what I can do with the settings. Really appreciate your help, I'll come back and let you know if it worked.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-05-2018, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Quote:
It was an HDMI to RCA cable (?) Sorry, I don't remember the details, I returned it. The support tech at the cable company said he thought it would work, but of course it didn't. It didn't have any kind of signal conversion function.
Not familiar with Component to HDMI cables.

To use the COMPONENT/RGB input as "Component" , you have to change the COMPONENT/RGB-IN SELECT to "Component" (RGB is default).

Did you try that ?

post #9 of 9 Old 02-10-2018, 06:43 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Thanks RandyWalters! I will look at the converter type you suggested and try that. Thanks for your help!
I came across a FS ad here where a gentleman is selling his non-HDMI Panny monitor (newer version of yours) and he's using a converter and shows a picture of it, so i'm presuming these things work. His is more money than the one i linked earlier, but either way i'd be much more inclined to use one of these converters and get the High Def cable picture on the display via HDMI.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/253-pl...-nc-120-a.html

https://www.amazon.com/More-Componen...nent+converter

Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page