Ask the Editors: Should I Fix or Replace My Pioneer Kuro? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 50Likes

post #1 of 62 Old 03-08-2018, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked: 4915
Ask the Editors: Should I Fix or Replace My Pioneer Kuro?

Jim has a Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD Kuro plasma TV that turns off by itself after a few hours as the blue power light blinks eight times. Should he fix or replace it?

https://www.avsforum.com/fix-replace-...o-ask-editors/

Last edited by Scott Wilkinson; 03-10-2018 at 09:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 Old 03-08-2018, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Or you can just send your Kuro's audio and main boards to eBay member kcrownie and he can perform the fix for $69. Highly recommended.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Repair-Serv...kAAOSwewJTmuWG

He can also convert non Elite audio board to Elite to unlock ISF modes on non Elite models (5020, 6020).

Sharp Elite PRO-70X5FD (Kuro PRO-171FD) x 2
Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M
Pioneer Kuro PRO-111FD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020
post #3 of 62 Old 03-09-2018, 02:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked: 1193
A few months ago I upgraded from an 8 year old Pioneer KRP-600A to a Panasonic TX65EZ952B (65" OLED).

The OLED is blowing the Kuro out of the water in every single regard so if Jim can afford an upgrade go for it, if not have it fixed cheaply as suggested above.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 62 Old 03-09-2018, 04:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 536
This question... again.

My Kuro 9G which I paid like $400 for back in 2012 broke last summer and my insurance company replaced it with a B6 OLED for a $200 charge.

the OLED is 5" bigger, much better design etc but the picture quality upgrade is minimal at best when it comes to 1080p SDR content. My Kuro was modded so the black levels were already so ridiculously close to absolute 0 nit (I think it was like 0.0001) you honestly couldn't tell if the TV was on or off in a pitch black room and the contrast appeared to be infinity minus one. Brightness was absolutely sufficient in a dark room, so for dark room viewing the difference between a B6 OLED watching a blu-ray, streaming Netflix, watching Youtube, watch Satelitte/cable TV and a 9G Kuro is not very noticeable. Colours are both extremely close to the D65 standard.

However with the wider P3 colour gamut, 4K resolution, HDR, 10 bit content the differences become more significant. This represents <1% of my viewing.

So for me the Kuro is more than good enough as I don't have it in a bright room (which would really suck!!) and because 4K/HDR isn't the norm for me just yet. so $300 for a used Kuro or $1500+ for an OLED the choice is obvious where I'm from.

In my case it was $300 for a 9 year old Kuro or $200 for a brand new OLED with 5 year warranty that was 5" bigger, so I got the best deal in the world.
post #5 of 62 Old 03-09-2018, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 134
And the answer to Scott's question in my opinion if it doesn't cost a lot fix it.I have an eighth generation elite with over 23,000 hours on it and the picture is still great. So why throw away something that can still be repaired at a reasonable cost
post #6 of 62 Old 03-09-2018, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2988 Post(s)
Liked: 2832
Watching movies in HDR,WCG,4k is a whole new experience that you shouldn't be missing, keep in mind that it can be very expensive .You may also end upgrading the audio system to atmos and your blu ray player, but not necessarily need to upgrade them, but you will get the itch.

The kuro is also a great display that is worth to fix and keep.
oneeyeblind and Ozymandis like this.

Last edited by losservatore; 03-12-2018 at 01:55 PM.
post #7 of 62 Old 03-09-2018, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveddie81 View Post
Or you can just send your Kuro's audio and main boards to eBay member kcrownie and he can perform the fix for $69. Highly recommended.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Repair-Serv...kAAOSwewJTmuWG

He can also convert non Elite audio board to Elite to unlock ISF modes on non Elite models (5020, 6020).
That's a good, inexpensive solution, but it still involves opening up the TV (which means removing some 40 screws as I recall reading) and extracting the boards, then reinstalling them and buttoning the set back up. Not as daunting as replacing the IC, for sure, but still a non-trivial project.
makaveddie81 likes this.
post #8 of 62 Old 03-09-2018, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
That's a good, inexpensive solution, but it still involves opening up the TV (which means removing some 40 screws as I recall reading) and extracting the boards, then reinstalling them and buttoning the set back up. Not as daunting as replacing the IC, for sure, but still a non-trivial project.
That sounds like a fun and cheap learning exercise, and a fairly good chance of getting a nice ego boost if it works out. Why wouldn't anybody give it a try, especially if you could do this with your kids instead of playing xbox.
diddy5584 and makaveddie81 like this.

U-Turn Orbit Plus turntable, Marantz SR-7009 AVR, iNuke 6000DSP, DIY LinkwitzLab speakers, MartyCube + JohnnySub, BenQ W1070, Roku stick, Plex
post #9 of 62 Old 03-09-2018, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derreckla View Post
Surprised they break, thought they were all powerful like Jezus
post #10 of 62 Old 03-09-2018, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesplitter View Post
That sounds like a fun and cheap learning exercise, and a fairly good chance of getting a nice ego boost if it works out. Why wouldn't anybody give it a try, especially if you could do this with your kids instead of playing xbox.
Scott's right the hardest thing is taking the 40+ screws out of it and taking the boards out is not that big of a deal
post #11 of 62 Old 03-09-2018, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 131
[quote=rcapprotti;55826890]
Quote:
Originally Posted by derreckla View Post
Surprised they break, thought they were all powerful like Jezus

Are we having fun? These responses are like something a 10-year-old would say by the way how did you go from somebody simply wanting to know if it's worth repairing there TV to these silly comments? I don't recall anybody on here saying that these TVs were unbreakable unless I missed a post
Once you watch something like 'The Revenant' or 'X-Men Apocalypse' on 4K UHD disc there really is no going back to 1080p....
rcapprotti likes this.

SONY Bravia KD-65XE9005BU 4K UHD tv PANASONIC TX-40CX400B 4K UHD tv SONY UBP-X800 4K HDR Ultra HD player SONY BDP-S3700 Blu-ray player (U.S.)-*new 04/04/2019 SONY BDP-S760 Blu-ray player ES certified- Elevated Standard (UK) SAMSUNG BD-C6900 3D Blu-ray player (UK) SAMSUNG HW-MS650 Sound+ Soundbar
post #12 of 62 Old 03-09-2018, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

[quote=hsinnott;55826944]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcapprotti View Post

Once you watch something like 'The Revenant' or 'X-Men Apocalypse' on 4K UHD disc there really is no going back to 1080p....
It's not a debate on whether 4K UHD Disc and HDR is better than 1080P I think the biggest question the the gentleman was asking was the TV worth repairing I think if the TV can be repaired reasonably cheap then he would probably fix it.if it's going to cost an arm and a leg and no it's not worth it
post #13 of 62 Old 03-09-2018, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2476 Post(s)
Liked: 1433
It really depends on the condition, the hours and viewing habbits wether or not to repair (When watching 1080i at best one might as well tries to repair the TV or buy a cheap used 2013 Plasma).
post #14 of 62 Old 03-09-2018, 05:02 PM
Yog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Jim has a Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD Kuro plasma monitor that turns off by itself after a few hours as the blue power light blinks eight times. Should he fix or replace it?

https://www.avsforum.com/fix-replace-...o-ask-editors/
Have it repaired. BTW 151 is not the monitor its a TV with sound.

I am still not sold to 4K yet when I compare it to my calibrated Elite Signature 141FD. I was just about to pull the trigger on Panasonic OLED TC-65EZ1000C but thought I should wait for another few years and see what's the best TV available in the future (~5 years, maybe more). Not to mention, there still a lack of 4K content compared to 1080p. Having said all that, if Pioneer comes back to TV business and release something, I will be the first in line to get it.

Last edited by Yog; 03-09-2018 at 05:17 PM.
post #15 of 62 Old 03-09-2018, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked: 2353
Snarky comments removed as well as the responses. If you don't want to positively contribute to the thread please don't post.
post #16 of 62 Old 03-09-2018, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Assuming money is not an issue then the decision is mostly about your viewing habits. For example, we record on a DVR and watch a number of favorite TV shows. We get Blu-ray discs from Netflix, and some discs are DVD, not Blu-ray. We watch a few Youtube videos as well. All this represents 90% of our viewing and none of it is currently available in 4K. Our Pioneer KURO does an outstanding job with 1080p programs, and it upscales 720p and DVD 480p amazingly well. For these reasons there is no urgency for us to buy a new TV. So, consider your usage and let that guide your decision.

If you're willing to invest in a new 4k TV, an Ultra 4K Blu-ray player, and seek out the fairly limited selection of streaming 4K movies, then go for it! Maybe in a couple of years 4K content will be more widely available and TV prices will come down some more. I doubt we'll see cable TV or over-the-air broadcasts in 4K for a long time. Remember how slow the U.S. was to adopt HD broadcasting even 8 years after it was available in other countries!
post #17 of 62 Old 03-10-2018, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southleft View Post
Assuming money is not an issue then the decision is mostly about your viewing habits. For example, we record on a DVR and watch a number of favorite TV shows. We get Blu-ray discs from Netflix, and some discs are DVD, not Blu-ray. We watch a few Youtube videos as well. All this represents 90% of our viewing and none of it is currently available in 4K. Our Pioneer KURO does an outstanding job with 1080p programs, and it upscales 720p and DVD 480p amazingly well. For these reasons there is no urgency for us to buy a new TV. So, consider your usage and let that guide your decision.

If you're willing to invest in a new 4k TV, an Ultra 4K Blu-ray player, and seek out the fairly limited selection of streaming 4K movies, then go for it! Maybe in a couple of years 4K content will be more widely available and TV prices will come down some more. I doubt we'll see cable TV or over-the-air broadcasts in 4K for a long time. Remember how slow the U.S. was to adopt HD broadcasting even 8 years after it was available in other countries!
You are right about 4K content and even buying 4K disc they average about eight dollars to $10 more than a regular Blu-ray. That can add up I was gonna buy Dunkirk but I'm not paying 30 bucks plus tax for it. Over the last few years Blu-ray movies have come down quite a bit now along comes UHD 4K disc and now we're pretty much back to were Blu-ray disc were when they first came out pricewise. That sounds like I'm a cheap person somethings I am somethings I'm not I think spending 30+ dollars for a disc is a little bit ridiculous
post #18 of 62 Old 03-10-2018, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 603
It's amazing how many times these threads still come up. With the same arguments.

If you even have to ask, ummmm?

To me 4K , even with HDR, is not a leap like SD to HD. So i have no problem keeping my TV as long as possible. That includes fixing it if it needs to. The cost is significantly cheaper than buying a new TV.

Plasmas are not made anymore and still has it's advantages. Why not enjoy this great tech untill you truly want to spend money for a proper 4K setup?

home theater addict
post #19 of 62 Old 03-10-2018, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Doesn't the plasma get hot and use a good chunk of energy? Newer ? are very energy efficient. I had a plasma monitor years back and that thing radiated heat, I gave it away. I would get a new TV but if you don't care about 4k, HDR, apps, wifi built in, excellent PQ and it's just cheaper to have old tech you like than get that puppy fixed.
post #20 of 62 Old 03-10-2018, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by theanew View Post
Doesn't the plasma get hot and use a good chunk of energy? Newer ? are very energy efficient. I had a plasma monitor years back and that thing radiated heat, I gave it away. I would get a new TV but if you don't care about 4k, HDR, apps, wifi built in, excellent PQ and it's just cheaper to have old tech you like than get that puppy fixed.
Yes, our Pioneer KURO is a great room heater. This is very acceptable in the Pacific Northwest for about 10 months of the year, ha-ha. And, yes, it draws a fair bit of power to display that excellent color, deep blacks, fine detail, off-axis viewing (the picture doesn't fade even if you sit way off to the side), and no motion artifacts.

No TV is perfect. You pays your money and you takes your choice.
post #21 of 62 Old 03-10-2018, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have two plasma TV sets -- one for the living room and one for the bedroom. Both are still going strong, but I know that it won't last. The 42 incher in the bedroom is older than a couple of my nephews and nieces and I fear that one will be the first to go. It feels like I'm on borrowed time. I'm absolutely dreading the day that I'll have to replace my sets, because the market doesn't appear to have markedly better options at reasonable prices. I hope that reality changes in the next couple of years.

I would repair the Kuro. The only way that I'd replace it is if this is just the opening stage of a cascading series of repairs. Try the repair first. If that doesn't work, call in the priest and let us know when to bow our heads in silence as you bid farewell to the Kuro.
post #22 of 62 Old 03-10-2018, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAssJazz View Post
I have two plasma TV sets -- one for the living room and one for the bedroom. Both are still going strong, but I know that it won't last. The 42 incher in the bedroom is older than a couple of my nephews and nieces and I fear that one will be the first to go. It feels like I'm on borrowed time. I'm absolutely dreading the day that I'll have to replace my sets, because the market doesn't appear to have markedly better options at reasonable prices. I hope that reality changes in the next couple of years.

I would repair the Kuro. The only way that I'd replace it is if this is just the opening stage of a cascading series of repairs. Try the repair first. If that doesn't work, call in the priest and let us know when to bow our heads in silence as you bid farewell to the Kuro.
post #23 of 62 Old 03-10-2018, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yog View Post
Have it repaired. BTW 151 is not the monitor its a TV with sound.
My mistake; it has sound (though I think the speakers can be removed) and a TV tuner built in, which makes it a TV, not a monitor. I misremembered. I have corrected the article and OP of this thread. Thanks for the correction!
makaveddie81 likes this.
post #24 of 62 Old 03-11-2018, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
My mistake; it has sound (though I think the speakers can be removed) and a TV tuner built in, which makes it a TV, not a monitor. I misremembered. I have corrected the article and OP of this thread. Thanks for the correction!
It's still amazing nine years later we're still having a discussion about the pioneer Kuro. And the only reason that would happen is because it truly was a great TV. I have 2/8 generation elites one for main viewing and one in the bedroom and they still have great pictures and still work perfect each both have an HDMI port out but who cares
post #25 of 62 Old 03-11-2018, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 536
[quote=hsinnott;55826944]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcapprotti View Post

I honestly don't think the difference is THAT huge. I remember by 2008 I was utterly disgusted by DVD quality and refused to watch a movie that wasn't Blu-ray 1080p. The difference was night and day.

but 4K HDR vs 1080p? Obviously the former is better, but the latter still looks really, really good on an OLED or a great plasma like the the 9th generation Kuro.

I've only just started watching 4K/HDR on my B6 OLED, and Thor: Ragnarok in 4K/HDR does NOT look better than a good blu-ray like IMAX 15/70 shots of Interstellar, TDK:R or Pacific Rim or Transformers: Last Knight.
whipit likes this.
post #26 of 62 Old 03-11-2018, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I hate to say it but I have $2000 Sony from about 4 years ago. I could get a comparable or better model today for half that (and probably less).

So, I have XBR-850B. It is a 3D and 4K capable TV without HDR. When I bought it, rumors stated that it could be made to be HDR with a firmware patch that never came. I think the 900B did get a patch for HDR.

Point is, the last 5 years have brought about a lot of improvements. When an 8 year old TV dies, just get rid of it.
oneeyeblind likes this.

Denon 4300 receiver. Infinity speaker setup (SM line which is SM-122 up front an SM-82 in the rear and ceiling) along with a center channel (not SM line but maybe I should swap it out). Xbox One S source for Blu Ray and 4K blu Ray. Sony XBR850B.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-24-hours.html
post #27 of 62 Old 03-11-2018, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfh227 View Post
I hate to say it but I have $2000 Sony from about 4 years ago. I could get a comparable or better model today for half that (and probably less).

So, I have XBR-850B. It is a 3D and 4K capable TV without HDR. When I bought it, rumors stated that it could be made to be HDR with a firmware patch that never came. I think the 900B did get a patch for HDR.

Point is, the last 5 years have brought about a lot of improvements. When an 8 year old TV dies, just get rid of it.
By the description of the owner this is a simple fix you send the board off it cost you about 70 bucks to fix it the hardest thing is taking it apart and putting it back together. But trust me it's not that hard so if $70 will fix it and a little bit of labor why trash it when you can probably get a few more years out of it. You know this is all up to the owner if he doesn't feel like fixing it then you move on to something new. I got rid of my 151 not because the picture was drastically worst then a newer TV like OLED I went to a projector because you know what they say bigger is always better
post #28 of 62 Old 03-12-2018, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Take it as a signal from the TV Gods to go to 4K HDR TV.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #29 of 62 Old 03-12-2018, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 36
$70.00 to fix a very high end television set seems reasonable. 4K is nice but I wouldn't rush out and get 4K, Heck. I still haven't finished buying back my 700 plus Dvd's 100 or so 1080p blu ray discs and about 300 CD titles I lost when my storage building full of stuff got sold due to financial trouble.

The salvaged "23" LG LCD set I use now is a few years older than that set, and Has DVI, Nobody uses TV speakers anyway. For Blu rays definitely.

I also miss the side-speaker look on HD TV's
post #30 of 62 Old 03-12-2018, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
It's not as daunting as it seems, though I agree, its not a trivial project.

Since the TV is already non-operational, there really is no risk of making it worse anyways. Plus, once it's brought back to life, it can be used as a spare set, sold to a third party or given away to a family member of friend.

Sharp Elite PRO-70X5FD (Kuro PRO-171FD) x 2
Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M
Pioneer Kuro PRO-111FD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020

Last edited by makaveddie81; 03-12-2018 at 05:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
ask the editors , blinking blue light , pioneer elite pro-151fd , plasma

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page