Pioneer Kuro still going strong!! - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 30Likes

post #91 of 104 Old 09-06-2019, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I also have a KRP-600M that I bought new in 2009. I was wondering if anyone uses a 4K (UHD) player with these displays. I know the player would have to down-convert to 1080p for the display to accept the signal. I'm just curious if there is any benefit to a down-converted 4K disc over the 1080p Blu-ray of the same title. Any thoughts?
Zzzzz... likes this.

Tim Vickroy

"Besides, there's no reason we can't be civil, is there?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 104 Old 09-08-2019, 04:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimV View Post
I also have a KRP-600M that I bought new in 2009. I was wondering if anyone uses a 4K (UHD) player with these displays. I know the player would have to down-convert to 1080p for the display to accept the signal. I'm just curious if there is any benefit to a down-converted 4K disc over the 1080p Blu-ray of the same title. Any thoughts?
I asked this quite a few times.. Every Xbox One owner could test it, but nobody cares or did ever test it.. There is also not a single review out there..

If you can get hand on an xbox One you can test it yourself.. please report back to us..

2013 Panasonic TX-P42STW60 PDP
2009 Panasonic TX-P42S10E PDP

Last edited by Bruce2019; 09-08-2019 at 04:43 AM.
post #93 of 104 Old 09-08-2019, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
I do! I'm using an Oppo 203 with a Panasonic ST60.I think what you'll notice is more audio related(Atmos)content.
Their are quite a few Blu-Rays with Atmos though.I do find my dvd's look better with a capable Blu-Ray player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 104 Old 09-09-2019, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdinno View Post
Check in if you still own one. So much for all those BS myths questioning plasma's longevity way back then. Almost 10 years later and my 111FD picture still wow's me. I have 3 other friends that still have their's and one of them still has a Kuro brand new in a box unused that he bought when Pioneer announced they were getting out of the tv business. I have to admit the OLED's are nice. It took them this long to invent a tv to match the Kuro's picture quality because before then, and after Pioneer was finished, there was nothing.
I still have a PRO-111FD, but it has a horizontal row of pixels that have gone out. I finally took it to a repair shop, hoping it would be a simple fix. They told me one of the chips on the buffer board is burned, and that the buffer board is attached to the panel, so the whole panel has to be replaced. They said not all Pioneer plasmas are like this, but mine is. They then tried to sell me a new tv. Can anyone confirm if what they said is true for this tv?
post #95 of 104 Old 09-09-2019, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gersh76 View Post
I still have a PRO-111FD, but it has a horizontal row of pixels that have gone out. I finally took it to a repair shop, hoping it would be a simple fix. They told me one of the chips on the buffer board is burned, and that the buffer board is attached to the panel, so the whole panel has to be replaced. They said not all Pioneer plasmas are like this, but mine is. They then tried to sell me a new tv. Can anyone confirm if what they said is true for this tv?
I'm very skeptical this is true.
post #96 of 104 Old 09-09-2019, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
No PQ differences when I had the 4k player, (LG UBK80) hooked up to the Pro-101FD.

Pioneer Elite Pro-101FD
Pioneer Elite BDP-88FD
McIntosh MX-121 / MC-207 / MPC-1500
Bowers & Wilkins 803 D3
Apple TV HD / PlayStation 4 Pro
post #97 of 104 Old 09-11-2019, 02:26 AM
Advanced Member

I tried downconverting 4K Netflix using a computer and it looks pretty good on the 5020 in my bedroom. I’m not really sure if it’s better than standard 1080p content but not bad and still looks better than a lot of the 4K cheap LCDs out there. Nothing except my LG OLED is as close to natural color as the pioneer.
Bruce2019 likes this.
post #98 of 104 Old 10-10-2019, 05:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 219
PDP-6020FD owner here. It was my wife's most coveted possession.

Our usual routine is to put on PBS while the kids eat breakfast, but that didn't happen this morning. After troubleshooting the display and Marantz pre/pro, I confirmed that all of the Pioneer's HDMI inputs are non-functional. The panel seems fine, it displays the menus and test pattern. I didn't try connecting the antenna or analog video inputs, because it's kind of a moot point.

We purchased it in 2008. Five days later it went down, but once the bad board was found it has worked perfectly ever since. We had it calibrated early and it hasn't seemed to drift. Maybe we lost a little dynamic range, but it still looks great. I haven't checked the hours in a long time, but I'm guessing it's up in the 17-18k range. We still like it, and our only complaint has been the amount of waste heat it produces.

A couple of questions if you don't mind:
1. Would you try to fix it, or move on to something bigger and 4K?
2. If I want to fix it, should I just contact Pioneer or is there somebody who specializes in these Kuro sets?

HT: Dynaudio C2, Contour S CX, 2x BM14S, Aperion surrounds, Simaudio Titan, Marantz AV8801, Oppo 103, Linn Majik DS, and a Pioneer Kuro
Stereo: Dynaudio Focus 160, Simaudio W-5 LE or Luxman M-600A, Linn Akurate DSM, 2x Rythmik F12G
Other interests: motorcycling, skiing, being active
post #99 of 104 Old 10-10-2019, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red MC View Post
PDP-6020FD owner here. It was my wife's most coveted possession.

Our usual routine is to put on PBS while the kids eat breakfast, but that didn't happen this morning. After troubleshooting the display and Marantz pre/pro, I confirmed that all of the Pioneer's HDMI inputs are non-functional. The panel seems fine, it displays the menus and test pattern. I didn't try connecting the antenna or analog video inputs, because it's kind of a moot point.

We purchased it in 2008. Five days later it went down, but once the bad board was found it has worked perfectly ever since. We had it calibrated early and it hasn't seemed to drift. Maybe we lost a little dynamic range, but it still looks great. I haven't checked the hours in a long time, but I'm guessing it's up in the 17-18k range. We still like it, and our only complaint has been the amount of waste heat it produces.

A couple of questions if you don't mind:
1. Would you try to fix it, or move on to something bigger and 4K?
2. If I want to fix it, should I just contact Pioneer or is there somebody who specializes in these Kuro sets?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tested-Main...ty!85145!US!-1
With core refund you'ed be at $124.95.
post #100 of 104 Old 10-10-2019, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hi, Has anyone taken time to document best settings for use with Apple TV 4?

I wandered into the video settings options in ATV4 and now have it really washed out...YPBr versus RGBHigh/Low, multiple different supported options HDR/SDR, 60hz, 50hz.

Is there an optimum "Automatic" way to make my 5020 and the ATV4 get along?

Its not just a hobby, its a 401K reduction plan.
post #101 of 104 Old 10-10-2019, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test Ickles View Post
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tested-Main...ty!85145!US!-1
With core refund you'ed be at $124.95.
Thanks. In my haste to post this morning, I forgot I actually have the 6010FD rather than the 6020FD. But I found other sources for the 6010FD boards.

However, I know from my previous repair experience that there are multiple versions of the boards. So I guess I'll have to pull it off the wall mount, crack it open, and see what I've got. Hopefully I still have the stand.

Just yesterday, my wife invited some friends over on Sat for a movie night. So she's already reading up on the latest OLED displays.

HT: Dynaudio C2, Contour S CX, 2x BM14S, Aperion surrounds, Simaudio Titan, Marantz AV8801, Oppo 103, Linn Majik DS, and a Pioneer Kuro
Stereo: Dynaudio Focus 160, Simaudio W-5 LE or Luxman M-600A, Linn Akurate DSM, 2x Rythmik F12G
Other interests: motorcycling, skiing, being active
post #102 of 104 Old 10-10-2019, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcdayton View Post
Hi, Has anyone taken time to document best settings for use with Apple TV 4?

I wandered into the video settings options in ATV4 and now have it really washed out...YPBr versus RGBHigh/Low, multiple different supported options HDR/SDR, 60hz, 50hz.

Is there an optimum "Automatic" way to make my 5020 and the ATV4 get along?
never mind, found a useful video. Here it is for anyone else lining up the ATV 4K with Kuro.

its stunning how inky black the Kuro still is...

Its not just a hobby, its a 401K reduction plan.
post #103 of 104 Old 10-19-2019, 01:43 AM
Advanced Member

Well I went and looked when I bought my 5020fd, apparently it was 2011. So going on 9 years soon. Gotta have at least 20k hours, it’s used 4-5 hours a night in my bedroom but has pulled many all nighters. Always been on power saver. I have started to get a few pixels that take a while to seem to warm up when I first turn it on (appear as blue when displaying full white). Otherwise it looks fine. I don’t even know if taking it off power saver would remedy the problem. It has lasted long enough to get me to the OLEDs. I will probably use it until it dies mainly because I don’t feel like moving it.
post #104 of 104 Old 10-20-2019, 01:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Pdp5080-hd

Purchased 2008. Used as main home theater TV until 2017. Still soldiering on in the exercise room. Used with DirecTV, AppleTV, XBox in the past. Now just DirecTV and AppleTV (switching to YouTube TV currently). Probably good for many more years. The black levels are still incredible.
Bruce2019 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page