Pioneer Kuro still going strong!! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #1 of 88 Old 09-09-2018, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Cool Pioneer Kuro still going strong!!

Check in if you still own one. So much for all those BS myths questioning plasma's longevity way back then. Almost 10 years later and my 111FD picture still wow's me. I have 3 other friends that still have their's and one of them still has a Kuro brand new in a box unused that he bought when Pioneer announced they were getting out of the tv business. I have to admit the OLED's are nice. It took them this long to invent a tv to match the Kuro's picture quality because before then, and after Pioneer was finished, there was nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 Old 09-09-2018, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Mine is still going strong! Though I have had the itch to pick up a larger screen size. When I bought it, 50" seemed huge. Now I'm thinking 65" would be better!
post #3 of 88 Old 09-09-2018, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Yep.

We quit using our 5010 FD in 2014, when we upgraded to 64" while it was still possible to do so with Plasma.

But we passed it on to our grown daughter. Her boyfriend and I hauled it up to her second-floor apartment (that was not fun...). When we fired it up, she looked at the picture and said "Wow!"

And now, almost 11 years after buying it, it is still going strong in our daughter's apartment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 88 Old 09-09-2018, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked: 527
I still have my Elite 110FD and I might add I have had zero issues with it. I replaced my Elite 151FD with a LG OLED E6 because I got the dreaded multiple blue light regulator fault. I bought the LG 65" E6 to replace it in September of 2016 and have already had 3 problems with it. I want a 88" tv but have zero confidence in Samsung or LG for any of their tv's. The problem is that LCD/LED is tech that I would not like because I am spoiled by my OLED. The other problem is that LG or LG Displays makes and sells all of the OLED panels to all of the companies that sell OLED tv's, as result not going to happen. I just wish solid tech would come out that lasted like my Pioneer elites did with zero issues for so many years.
WOLVERNOLE likes this.
post #5 of 88 Old 09-09-2018, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-T View Post
I still have my Elite 110FD and I might add I have had zero issues with it. I replaced my Elite 151FD with a LG OLED E6 because I got the dreaded multiple blue light regulator fault. I bought the LG 65" E6 to replace it in September of 2016 and have already had 3 problems with it. I want a 88" tv but have zero confidence in Samsung or LG for any of their tv's. The problem is that LCD/LED is tech that I would not like because I am spoiled by my OLED. The other problem is that LG or LG Displays makes and sells all of the OLED panels to all of the companies that sell OLED tv's, as result not going to happen. I just wish solid tech would come out that lasted like my Pioneer elites did with zero issues for so many years.
What about Panasonic? I heard they are making OLED's and are going to start selling tv's again in the U.S. That's the brand I would wait for if i was in the market. Would love to see Pioneer get back into the tv business. You know their OLED would be the GOAT once again like the KURO.
post #6 of 88 Old 09-09-2018, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Panasonic sells OLEDs everywhere except the US and they use LG panels but use Panasonic processors which make them better than the Sony's and LG's by a large margin. The OLED technology itself has many short comings but have incredible black levels. A 88" OLED is going to be 25K. the 25K is not the issue because I spent $14,500 on a 50" Pioneer elite 1110HD when it first came out because I believed in the durability of the tech. OlED tv's are fragile and cheaply made. A tv should not slightly warp when it get it has been on for awhile, my E6 does. granted when it is turned off it straightens but still. You see the gaps between the panel and the electronics. The electronic portion is connected to the tv by clips. My Pioneer plasmas were put together with many screws. A OlED can not be repaired if the panel has a scratch or crack in it. To replace the panel on a OLED cost more than the tv, it is joke. I can go on but I won't.
post #7 of 88 Old 09-09-2018, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Panasonic sells OLEDs everywhere except the US and they use LG panels but use Panasonic processors which make them better than the Sony's and LG's by a large margin. The OLED technology itself has many short comings but have incredible black levels. A 88" OLED is going to be 25K. the 25K is not the issue because I spent $14,500 on a 50" Pioneer elite 1110HD when it first came out because I believed in the durability of the tech. OlED tv's are fragile and cheaply made. A tv should not slightly warp when it get it has been on for awhile, my E6 does. granted when it is turned off it straightens but still. You see the gaps between the panel and the electronics. The electronic portion is connected to the tv by clips. My Pioneer plasmas were put together with many screws. A OlED can not be repaired if the panel has a scratch or crack in it. To replace the panel on a OLED cost more than the tv, it is joke. I can go on but I won't.
That's very informative. I didn't realize that but doesn't surprise me. Didn't Sony also say they were making OLED? I'm glad I'm not in the market then. The only issue I really heard with the OLED's was the blue tint. I was wondering if they had it fixed or just band aided it.
post #8 of 88 Old 09-09-2018, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 3683 Post(s)
Liked: 3279
I still have my KRP-600M and its a great picture. Not at the level of an OLED though, I admit that. But close enough that I haven't felt the need to replace it. To be honest, I'm almost hoping it will die to give me a reason to snatch up an OLED, but it keeps plugging along, lol. I had a lightning strike that took out literally every component in my system...except the Pioneer!
post #9 of 88 Old 09-09-2018, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdinno View Post
That's very informative. I didn't realize that but doesn't surprise me. Didn't Sony also say they were making OLED? I'm glad I'm not in the market then. The only issue I really heard with the OLED's was the blue tint. I was wondering if they had it fixed or just band aided it.
Sony makes a OLED with a LG Panel but has agony processor which is way better than LG's. Lets put it this way lg had the worst processor in OLEd compared to the competition. The sad thing is that LG Dispay who is a different company than LG makes all of the OLED panels and sells then to: Panasonic, LG and Sony that I know of. Sony and Panasonic are better than the LG's. I know it is confusing and it took me a while as well to wrap my brain around it. The OLED picture is different than plasma, it took me awhile to get used to it, Plasma is much warmer/cool looking compared to OLED. So the blue you are referring to is still there and part of the OLED tech. A properly calibrated OLED blows a Plasma out of the water, not even a fair contest.
MerrlinT likes this.
post #10 of 88 Old 09-09-2018, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Pioneer Kuro still going strong!!

Quote:
Sony makes a OLED with a LG Panel but has agony processor which is way better than LG's. Lets put it this way lg had the worst processor in OLEd compared to the competition. The sad thing is that LG Dispay who is a different company than LG makes all of the OLED panels and sells then to: Panasonic, LG and Sony that I know of. Sony and Panasonic are better than the LG's. I know it is confusing and it took me a while as well to wrap my brain around it. The OLED picture is different than plasma, it took me awhile to get used to it, Plasma is much warmer/cool looking compared to OLED. So the blue you are referring to is still there and part of the OLED tech. A properly calibrated OLED blows a Plasma out of the water, not even a fair contest.

The build quality from LG and Sony on the 2017 or 2018 Oleds are greatly improved. Take a look at the Sony the design is top notch and if you’re in Europe or Canada the Panasonic sets get fantastic reviews.
But for price you can’t beat the LG B8 or C8.
MerrlinT likes this.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #11 of 88 Old 09-09-2018, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Another problem with a OLEd tv is that they are disposable and do not seem to last as long. Plasma HDTV last for ever, I hah my 151 for 8 years and had the tv on for 8+ hours a day. My OLED already has 4500 hours on it and I can not see it lasting near as long as my 151 did. The OLEd E6 was $5500 and the 151 plasma was $4800. I believe pioneer was going under or the store was going under forgot which happened first but I got a good deal because of it and the fact that I bought a Pioneer elite from every generation from the store.
post #12 of 88 Old 09-09-2018, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomo657 View Post
The build quality from LG and Sony on the 2017 or 2018 Oleds are greatly improved. Take a look at the Sony the design is top notch and if you’re in Europe or Canada the Panasonic sets get fantastic reviews.
But for price you can’t beat the LG B8 or C8.
I would literally die before I bought another anything LG, I am not kidding. I got what looks like a nick in the 3d filter and LG said my kid did it by throwing something at the tv. If you have ever seem a E6 it is a sheet of glass if something was thrown at it the tv would have spidered or shattered. LG just did not want to warranty it which is fine, but the LG tech blamed my kid which is just wrong. My kid also has ASD and could not throw anything at the tv even if he tried, the dexterity is just not there. I wanted killed the guy when we said that and as a result LG will never get another penny from me.

Last edited by Dave-T; 09-09-2018 at 04:19 PM.
post #13 of 88 Old 09-09-2018, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Both of my Plasmas are doing fine: The Pioneer 5020 I bought back in 2009 is in the guest bedroom. It gets little use but is still in excellent condition. My primary is the Panasonic 65ZT which is also going strong. Would I like to upgrade? Sure! But I just can't see myself paying the prices of some of these OLEDs. The new SONY Master Series are pretty high. 2.1 HDMI may be a factor in buying as well as ASTC 3.0. Then I have to buy a 4k receiver and Blu-ray. Right now 1080p is my main choice. When the sets die, only then will I go up to 4k.
mailiang and Edllguy like this.
post #14 of 88 Old 09-09-2018, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 209
KRP-600M. Still amazing. To the ones saying OLED is not reliable I don't agree with that. I fix plasma's for fun(and profit) so I know alot about what makes them fail. I look around once and awhile on the OLED forum and I really don't see alot of problems.
Gooddoc likes this.
post #15 of 88 Old 09-09-2018, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 3683 Post(s)
Liked: 3279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test Ickles View Post
KRP-600M. Still amazing.
Agreed, but it just can't compete with the new OLEDs. It's not so much the black levels, although it is beat there, it's the lack of HDR and the peak brightness levels that I really notice. Having said that, it hasn't been enough of a difference to entice me to buy an OLED yet.
post #16 of 88 Old 09-11-2018, 04:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 173
I miss my Kuro's. They really were state of the art. I have a Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 -- the last plasma made using Kuro tech. Bought it in 2013. I don't see any degradation yet.

Edllguy likes this.
post #17 of 88 Old 09-11-2018, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 98
my 10 year old krp still going strong, and as immaculate as the day i got it

post #18 of 88 Old 09-11-2018, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 224
I owned a Pio 500M which I bought right after Pioneer announced that they were exiting the display business. Had it for 5 years before selling it to another member here, and after owning several LCDs and now OLED, I missed the Kuro so much that I bought a 5020 off of Craigslist last year. It's immaculate. I put it in my guest bedroom and it doesn't get used all the time, but when I do use it, the picture quality is still stunning. It puts up a pretty good fight against my LG OLED, especially on 24p movies or 60 fps gaming, where plasma's motion handling shines. For 1080p content too Pioneer's processing is still really good.

Quote:

Yeah, when I unboxed my OLED, I was surprised by how flimsy it felt. And it's got "waves" (it's not flat, basically) which aren't noticeable from the front but you can clearly see from the side profile.

I still have 3 plasmas, Pioneer, Pansonic, and Hitachi. In comparison they are built like tanks, extremely well put together. They don't make displays like that anymore, everything now is super cheap.
craigyboy likes this.

LG OLED65B7 | Yamaha v661 | Aperion 5.1 w/ SVS sub | PS4 Pro | Xbox One X | HTPC (i7-7700K, 1080 Ti, Define Nano S)
Pioneer 5020FD | Panasonic 46S30 | Hitachi P50V701
post #19 of 88 Old 09-11-2018, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 40
My 2009 Panasonic TC-P50S1 is still going strong and looks great. My 2014 Samsung PN51F8500 had a vertical pixel line show up a few months back...
post #20 of 88 Old 09-11-2018, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4280 Post(s)
Liked: 3704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test Ickles View Post
KRP-600M. Still amazing. To the ones saying OLED is not reliable I don't agree with that. I fix plasma's for fun(and profit) so I know alot about what makes them fail. I look around once and awhile on the OLED forum and I really don't see alot of problems.
It's just one complainer. I would put the build quality of my LG G6 OLED in the range of both the 111FD and ZT60 that preceded it. Grayscale uniformity is the only place where it slightly lets me down (which is endemic to the manufacturing process). LG's processing has taken a big leap this year in the 2018 series, narrowing the gap between the 2017 Sony to practically a dead heat (of course, Sony has incorporated a new chip on their recent A9F).
post #21 of 88 Old 09-11-2018, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 6
i have a Pioneer Pro Elite FHD1... which up until last week, was awesome... Now when i turn it on... 3 flashing red lights... no picture. I'm told, that's typically the Power board... had a tech out, said it's not... probably either x or y boards. of course, only boards you can find... are old, used, and no idea if they are actually good or not. i'm going to try though... love the Pioneer Pro plasma... one nice thing about the new TV's... i can replace this 50" TV's physical size pretty close with a new 65" TV... But not keen on losing the Pioneer. IF I do.. probably go with Sony AF9 master series... but not sure yet...

Pioneer Pro Elite FHD1 / Sony KV - 32XBR250 CRT (old school)
Onkyo NR TX656 / Hsu Research Sound system
Phillips Pronto TSU7500 / Sony PS3
(looking to upgrade - Sony A9F / Sony X700 / Harmony 950)
post #22 of 88 Old 09-11-2018, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Pioneer Pro Elite FHD1 flashing light error codes?

Anybody know where someone can find the error code list for a Pioneer Pro Elite FDH1 (suspect it's the same as the later KURO's?) - to decipher blinking lights?

I did get a X board for this from Electropartsonline.com.. though the board was not good (went from 3 blinking lights (and intermittently actually coming on) - to 9 blinking lights and not even trying to come on). Went back to original board - and TV actually has came on 2 out of 3 tries... but have to let it sit a long time before it will..... Sending that board back... have a Y board coming... don't know if it will work or not.

Any plasma repair guys out there that may help me????

thanks!
post #23 of 88 Old 09-11-2018, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have a 500m with over 10,000 hours on it. The picture is still amazing. I also have a 5060HD--pre-Kuro and 1280x768 resolution, but it also looks good. Actually, I think it's brighter than the 500m.

I just took the plunge and ordered an LG OLED77C8, but it pains me to have to get rid of one of the plasmas (the 5060, not surprisingly). I'm giving it to a friend, who I hope will appreciate it.
post #24 of 88 Old 09-12-2018, 05:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Moved up to a bigger screen.Got the 65A1E and moved my 500m to another room.Keeping the 500m as long as I can.Still great TV.

Sony XBR65A1E,(Pioneer 500m relocated), AppleTv 4K,Marantz sr7012, System Audio Loudspeakers( sa1750 mains), ML Grotto.
Eastern Electric Minimax cd, Oppo UDP-203, Toshiba HD, Pro Ject 1expression Carbon TT.
post #25 of 88 Old 09-12-2018, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked: 1342
. my 500M is working fine for the time being, also have a LX5090 for back up. I will buy a OLED after 2020.

I watch a lot of Blu-ray movies. Most of those are not available on UHD blu-ray, also those UHD movies are not cheap. So why even upgrade i ask myself...
post #26 of 88 Old 09-12-2018, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 411
My 6020 will be 10 in February.

Looks as good as it ever has and I have never had an issue with it. I suspect at some point I'll see the power board issue or that bizarre "red scare" deal I read about years ago, but so far so good.

Honestly, even the aesthetic of the tv itself has aged well: sure it's a wider bezel than most newer displays, but it's still pretty straightforward and homogenizes well with most stuff.

Don't know how many hours are on it, but it has to be 15,000+. I should check it for a laugh.

I won't be replacing it until it dies. It went from our main tv to our bedroom job after about 4 years: it now prolly averages 2 hours a night- 4 if my wife falls asleep (cuz I ALWAYS do, first).

James

My Parlor and Theatre: "Jimbo's Dugout" : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...re-parlor.html

Actual phone call (see pic to left):
 Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"
Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

Last edited by mastermaybe; 09-12-2018 at 06:25 AM.
post #27 of 88 Old 09-16-2018, 12:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Pioneer Kuro 5080HD bought December 2007 and still going strong today with all original parts & no repairs, still has fantastic PQ, its used mainly for PS4 & Xbox One gaming.

It's been awhile since I checked hours of use but in late 2016 (Link) it was close to 30K hours reported in the service menu, I'll have to check current hours soon and post update.

Last edited by Mathesar; 09-16-2018 at 12:46 AM.
post #28 of 88 Old 09-16-2018, 05:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4627 Post(s)
Liked: 2933
I have 3 60" Kuros and they all still look great.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #29 of 88 Old 09-16-2018, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Amazing we're all talking about one particular brand tv 10 years later. Nobody has even mentioned the sound it puts out. Can we also call it the best sounding tv ever? The fact that you have control over every aspect of the picture and sound in the menu is also unheard of.
post #30 of 88 Old 09-17-2018, 04:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked: 1342
my 500M does not have speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page