Forum Jump: 
 46Likes

post #1 of 64 Old 02-15-2019, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
From Kuro to what?

My Kuro seems to be working fine. Are they known to age out?

Aside from that walk past the displays at my local Costco which is to say I don't get out much to look at new display offerings. Add to that I's always had a distrust for in store display settings.

Is there a current brand and model that I might consider as a replacement knowing full well the fundamental difference in presentation of other technologies?
pjp and lewdogg like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 Old 02-15-2019, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I went from a Kuro to a LG Oled. I now have 2 65" oleds and they are amazing.

post #3 of 64 Old 02-15-2019, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 261
I would think Plasma's would gradually lose brightness and or color or one or more of the various boards fail(you can sometimes find replacement boards).

From what I've heard,seen and read OLED's are the closest to thePlasma picture.LG and Sony are the brands available in the states.LG makes the panels for both.

I have two Plasmas,a 50" Kuro in the den and a 60" Panasonic in the living room.I want to upgrade the living room set but I'm not sure a 65" is a big enough change.I'm not ready to shell out for a 75"-77" OLED.

I'm still open to a 75"-85" LCD.

Good Luck with your quest!
calvinb and Bruce2019 like this.

Last edited by markg35; 02-15-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 64 Old 02-15-2019, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Simple. LG OLED 65C8. Buy on Ebay from a seller with perfect feedback and lots of it. There's some good ones on there. You'll save $$$ alot.
post #5 of 64 Old 02-16-2019, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg35 View Post
I would think Plasma's would gradually lose brightness and or color or one or more of the various boards fail(you can sometimes find replacement boards).

From what I've heard,seen and read OLED's are the closest to thePlasma picture.LG and Sony are the brands available in the states.LG makes the panels for both.

I have two Plasmas,a 50" Kuro in the den and a 60" Panasonic in the living room.I want to upgrade the living room set but I'm not sure a 65" is a big enough change.I'm not ready to shell out for a 75"-77" OLED.

I'm still open to a 75"-85" LCD.

Good Luck with your quest!
I recently went from a 60" pro151 to a 65"LG and was surprised at how much bigger the picture actually seems! Part of that is probably the improved picture quality but even my wife commented on how much bigger and better it looked and usually she doesn't notice things like that, normally she doesn't even notice the difference between SD and HD.
Bruce2019 likes this.
post #6 of 64 Old 02-16-2019, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric102 View Post
I recently went from a 60" pro151 to a 65"LG and was surprised at how much bigger the picture actually seems! Part of that is probably the improved picture quality but even my wife commented on how much bigger and better it looked and usually she doesn't notice things like that, normally she doesn't even notice the difference between SD and HD.
That's great news!Did you move your seating any closer?65" is the sweet spot for TV purchases.When I'm at the stores,I seem to be drawn to the larger sets..When I watch something with letterbox is when I really notice the size.With DVD's I can adjust the zoom on my player to get rid of them.

I'll have to look harder at the 65"option.
post #7 of 64 Old 02-16-2019, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg35 View Post
That's great news!Did you move your seating any closer?65" is the sweet spot for TV purchases.When I'm at the stores,I seem to be drawn to the larger sets..When I watch something with letterbox is when I really notice the size.With DVD's I can adjust the zoom on my player to get rid of them.

I'll have to look harder at the 65"option.
Nope, seating stayed the same. I was tempted to get a 77 at about 5k but got BB to price match a 65C at 2150 so couldn't resist, especially with their return policy during the holidays so I had over a month and a half to decide if I wanted to keep it, which I did.
post #8 of 64 Old 02-16-2019, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick responses.

The Elite Kuro was overwhelmingly reviewed and bench tested which made its choice a no brainer. Its calibration was almost a wast of time.

Is there somewhere where the OLEDs have been measured and/or professionally reviewed? They do look comparatively better in stores but I'm not sure what I'm looking at.

Thanks
post #9 of 64 Old 02-16-2019, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-dB View Post
Thanks for the quick responses.

The Elite Kuro was overwhelmingly reviewed and bench tested which made its choice a no brainer. Its calibration was almost a wast of time.

Is there somewhere where the OLEDs have been measured and/or professionally reviewed? They do look comparatively better in stores but I'm not sure what I'm looking at.

Thanks
Here's one. https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/e8-oled

And a good video on settings and basic calibration.

Last edited by eric102; 02-16-2019 at 12:11 PM.
post #10 of 64 Old 02-16-2019, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-dB View Post
Sound & Vision did a review of the LG OLED in the past month or two. I'm sure you can find it online. They also named it their product of the year, as I recall.
post #11 of 64 Old 02-16-2019, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your time and responses.
post #12 of 64 Old 02-17-2019, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
to a Sony A9F
WOLVERNOLE likes this.
post #13 of 64 Old 02-20-2019, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
If you do make the jump to OLED someday I highly recommend really sitting with it and seeing if you like the changes/differences. My old Panasonic plasma died and I waited and saved up for an LG B8 thinking it would be my dream TV and ended up returning it after a few days because I couldn't get past the motion issues. If I'm gonna spend that much on a TV, that was a fatal flaw for me personally. I've since bought a used ZT60 plasma and am gonna enjoy that for a while instead.

The base picture of the OLED was unbeatable but I think that technology still has a ways to go as far as motion, etc. Once that happens they'll be close to perfect.
post #14 of 64 Old 02-20-2019, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2247 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkLud View Post
If you do make the jump to OLED someday I highly recommend really sitting with it and seeing if you like the changes/differences. My old Panasonic plasma died and I waited and saved up for an LG B8 thinking it would be my dream TV and ended up returning it after a few days because I couldn't get past the motion issues. If I'm gonna spend that much on a TV, that was a fatal flaw for me personally. I've since bought a used ZT60 plasma and am gonna enjoy that for a while instead.

The base picture of the OLED was unbeatable but I think that technology still has a ways to go as far as motion, etc. Once that happens they'll be close to perfect.
It is not just the Sample & Hold (which is why folks say it is LCD with perfect blacks). It is a different TV tech and one might not likes it. LCD and Plasma have issues. The LCD issues bothered me (7/8 years my main TV), the Plasma issues i am oke with (4/5 years my main TV).
post #15 of 64 Old 02-22-2019, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 381
The biggest problem with OLED vs. Plasma, aside for potential motion issues, is that OLED is not native RGB pixels, where as plasma is. Yes, with OLED the light is controlled at the individual pixel level (and can completely turn off), but it's still passing through a color filter just like LCD does; and this is far from ideal. This is why the color 'quality' of OLED isn't as good as Plasma and doesn't seem to have that same uncanny 'organic' look to the color that Plasma has/had. Hence the description of OLEDs by many as looking like LCDs with perfect blacks, as what's generally triggering this description is the color -- not motion (though of course the motion of OLED is same as LCD, i.e. sample and hold, but with faster response time of the pixels).

The problem though is not OLED tech. inherently, but LG's WRGB implementation of the OLED technology. Samsung's 2013 OLED was native RGB just like plasma, and people who had it said the color had that same 'organic' quality as plasma, i.e. the color 'quality' was just as good as plasma. For color and overall picture naturalness, there is nothing quite like native Red, Green, and Blue emitters at the individual pixel level producing all the light output and color.
mailiang, Bruce2019 and sickkent like this.

Last edited by RWetmore; 02-22-2019 at 02:49 PM.
post #16 of 64 Old 02-23-2019, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2247 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post
The biggest problem with OLED vs. Plasma, aside for potential motion issues, is that OLED is not native RGB pixels, where as plasma is. Yes, with OLED the light is controlled at the individual pixel level (and can completely turn off), but it's still passing through a color filter just like LCD does; and this is far from ideal. This is why the color 'quality' of OLED isn't as good as Plasma and doesn't seem to have that same uncanny 'organic' look to the color that Plasma has/had. Hence the description of OLEDs by many as looking like LCDs with perfect blacks, as what's generally triggering this description is the color -- not motion (though of course the motion of OLED is same as LCD, i.e. sample and hold, but with faster response time of the pixels).

The problem though is not OLED tech. inherently, but LG's WRGB implementation of the OLED technology. Samsung's 2013 OLED was native RGB just like plasma, and people who had it said the color had that same 'organic' quality as plasma, i.e. the color 'quality' was just as good as plasma. For color and overall picture naturalness, there is nothing quite like native Red, Green, and Blue emitters at the individual pixel level producing all the light output and color.
The ''fake'' LCD look is often assosiated with motion, in particular SOE, and the digital, somewhat hard look of the tech. There was a time when LCD had limited colors reproduction which also was part of what made LCD ''fake-ish''.
post #17 of 64 Old 02-23-2019, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 136
MarkLud, something to consider....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkLud View Post

I fully appreciate and agree with what you wrote. I currently have TWO Panasonic plasmas (both 50" VT30 and GT50). Love both of them (especially the GT50 because it has 3-D and is newer/brighter). I am considering phasing out the 10 year-old VT30 for a 65", and I KNOW that it has to be an OLED. I also have seen and read about inferior motion and uniformity going to OLED from plasma, so I have been on this slow train...holding off making the move from 50" to a new 65". My point to you is that we consistently read and hear that LG just does NOT live up to SONY in terms of motion as well as UPCONVERSION of 2K 720p/1080i broadcast material. I am not a "Sony fan boy" by any means ( I have owned two Sony TVs and a couple of Pannys, etc., so I have no "favorite "must go-to's"). I just wonder for yourself as well as for me, being motion sensitive (spoiled by plasma ? ), if going to the Sony OLED products might be the BEST ALTERNATIVE. We watch a fair amount of broadcast 720p/1080i and I hate the idea of going backwards on picture quality after spending a lot of money. I know you hear what I am saying. I also KNOW what I am seeing my Panny plasmas going with that material...and it looks very, very good ! (I get it...I GET it...I am investing in the future, and undoubtedly, 1080p looks extremely good on the OLED, and 4-K...well, yea, no discussion (especially. HDR of any 'flavor')

I do not see the transition as easy as some espouse.
post #18 of 64 Old 02-24-2019, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE View Post
I currently have TWO Panasonic plasmas (both 50" VT30 and GT50). Love both of them (especially the GT50 because it has 3-D and is newer/brighter).

It seems you don't know your VT is also a 3-D panel, maybe you typed it wrong. It uses a different tech to run the glasses.
post #19 of 64 Old 02-25-2019, 04:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post
It seems you don't know your VT is also a 3-D panel, maybe you typed it wrong. It uses a different tech to run the glasses.

True, the VT30 is also a 3d model..

In that regard these Panasonics have a bit more to offer then the Kuros, 3d..

And even in a time where 3d is dead, it is somehow not.. Almost every big action movie is also released in 3d.. There is a very healthy quantity of 3d blu rays out there and they get also new releases..

Panasonic 42inch ST60 owner
Panasonic 42inch S10 ES (Europe/Silver) owner
post #20 of 64 Old 02-25-2019, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1180 Post(s)
Liked: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post

Keep you fingers crossed. We may be seeing tech that is cheaper, brighter and may look more 'plasma like', in the not so distant future.https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-re...led-tv-hybrid/

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Last edited by mailiang; 02-25-2019 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Typo
post #21 of 64 Old 02-25-2019, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce2019 View Post
True, the VT30 is also a 3d model..

In that regard these Panasonics have a bit more to offer then the Kuros, 3d..

And even in a time where 3d is dead, it is somehow not.. Almost every big action movie is also released in 3d.. There is a very healthy quantity of 3d blu rays out there and they get also new releases..
I stated VT30, so that has to be a mistake, I'm afraid ! It was the last VT model to NOT offer 3-D, so perhaps it was a "VT20"??
post #22 of 64 Old 02-25-2019, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

The VT20 was the first 3d Plasma from Panasonic 2010..

Now we are really interested what non 3d VT plasma model you have..
WOLVERNOLE likes this.

post #23 of 64 Old 02-25-2019, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Found this on youtube.. At least to me, the oled looks gorgeous and here you can see the advantage of more then twice the full screen light output of the oled..

post #24 of 64 Old 02-25-2019, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I am hanging onto my 60" Kuro plasma as long as possible. It still has an amazing picture that I would put up against any new 4k LED. Hopefully it keeps working 2 or 3 more years until OLED is perfected and cheaper and there is more content.

OLED looks pretty great at 4 K but the plasma has it beat with standard HD content (which is most all content).

I am thinking next TV will be a 75" OLED.
RWetmore, gbreda and Bruce2019 like this.

I feel infinite
post #25 of 64 Old 02-25-2019, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1180 Post(s)
Liked: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce2019 View Post
Found this on youtube.. At least to me, the oled looks gorgeous and here you can see the advantage of more then twice the full screen light output of the oled..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp9KHQC0JcY&t=621s
Keep in mind that the ZT60 was one of the dimmest pdp's produced with a peak light output of only 43.3 FTL.

Ian
Bruce2019 likes this.

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Last edited by mailiang; 02-25-2019 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Typo
post #26 of 64 Old 02-25-2019, 06:09 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE View Post
I stated VT30, so that has to be a mistake, I'm afraid ! It was the last VT model to NOT offer 3-D, so perhaps it was a "VT20"??

Any Panasonic Plasma with a T in the model number is 3D.

The VT30 is 3D. So is the GT30 and ST30.

_________
mailiang and Bruce2019 like this.

Randy
Sony XBR-55X900E, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890, MX-500 Remotes.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - https://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #27 of 64 Old 03-01-2019, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked: 1881
i would always ask "why don't you like your current tv?" before considering a replacement.

the facts are, every tv is bad at something. so in some cases, you might actually find the 'latest and greatest' to be worse than what you have.

unless your answer is my tv is too dim, too small, or I want smart features, i don't think you'll be overly impressed with the 'upgrade'.

when my tv stops working, and the time comes, i'm sure i'll be able to find something that will still make me happy. but for the present, my 'free' tv that i already own is by far the best option for me. if i'm spending 3grand i want there to be a night and day improvement(like when i brought home the f8500 in the first place) and i'm not seeing that personally. if i'm spending under 3grand, i'm afraid i'm probably ended up with a tv that's actually worse...

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
post #28 of 64 Old 03-02-2019, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 197
I'm considering moving my 65VT60 back to my main display. Swap it with my LG B6. So impressed every time I fire it up. I watch a 4k HDR Blu Ray once a month maybe. On SDR stuff I think I actually prefer the plasma.
Ozymandis, mailiang and craigyboy like this.
post #29 of 64 Old 03-03-2019, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 381
The bottom line is Plasma was by and large exceptionally good technology, especially at its peak of development just before it was discontinued or abandoned by the industry. It's really a shame it wasn't up-scalable to UHD and HDR, as if it were, it would trounce LG's WRGB OLED in just about every way.
clskinsfan likes this.
post #30 of 64 Old 03-03-2019, 05:33 PM

Liked: 14
This is my issue. I have the itch to upgrade to a larger screen for my family room to take advantage of 4K content. But I cannot afford a OLED. Simply cant do it. I have a 9 year old LG plasma that still throws a ridiculously good picture. And I have sampled some budget LCD's. The black levels are not even close IMO. You also lose motion clarity with sports on the LCD sets as well as viewing angle. So basically it is OLED or nothing for me. I am just going to have to stick with my plasma for a little while longer until prices come down even more I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page