Thinking about ordering a Darbee DVP-5000S for my Panasonic GT50 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By RandyWalters
  • 1 Post By sharok

post #1 of 8 Old 02-22-2019, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I've decided once again to hang onto my Panasonic plasma and hold off on buying a 4K TV. My budget is pretty tight,I could buy one but the only ones that truly blew me away were the OLEDs,which at the moment I can't swing but I figure since my plasma still has a gorgeous picture, maybe I would just squeeze another year out of it,that way I dont feel like I'm rushing out just to buy any 4K and I truly get the chance when I can afford it,to pick out the exact TV that I really want.

Anyways I read online about the Darbee 5000S, how it's supposed to boost the picture quality and help the colors pop a little more. Some say it makes their 1080P TVs comparable to a UHD TV, but I'm being a little more realistic about it and just hoping for a slight improvement in an already great picture and that should tide me over,help resist the urge to go out and buy a 4K TV right now.

Does anyone on here have any experience with the Darbee DVP,is it worth the money or will I likely be disappointed?? They usually retail for $200 and up but I found one online for about $130. Right now I'm leaning towards purchasing one. Seems most reviews and videos I've seen of it,most consumers were impressed by it. Like I said I'm being completely realistic about my expectations and hoping for a noticeable improvement but not expecting true UHD picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-22-2019, 09:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4639 Post(s)
Liked: 2943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolltide1980 View Post
I've decided once again to hang onto my Panasonic plasma and hold off on buying a 4K TV. My budget is pretty tight,I could buy one but the only ones that truly blew me away were the OLEDs,which at the moment I can't swing but I figure since my plasma still has a gorgeous picture, maybe I would just squeeze another year out of it,that way I dont feel like I'm rushing out just to buy any 4K and I truly get the chance when I can afford it,to pick out the exact TV that I really want.

Anyways I read online about the Darbee 5000S, how it's supposed to boost the picture quality and help the colors pop a little more. Some say it makes their 1080P TVs comparable to a UHD TV, but I'm being a little more realistic about it and just hoping for a slight improvement in an already great picture and that should tide me over,help resist the urge to go out and buy a 4K TV right now.

Does anyone on here have any experience with the Darbee DVP,is it worth the money or will I likely be disappointed?? They usually retail for $200 and up but I found one online for about $130. Right now I'm leaning towards purchasing one. Seems most reviews and videos I've seen of it,most consumers were impressed by it. Like I said I'm being completely realistic about my expectations and hoping for a noticeable improvement but not expecting true UHD picture.
I bought one and tried it on my RS640 for a little bit, but I wasn't a big fan. It adds a lot of sharpness, but its limited to 1080p so I wasn't able to use it. I probably tested it for an hour. If you want one I'll sell you mine for $100 shipped in usa.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-22-2019, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Quote:

I bought one and tried it on my RS640 for a little bit, but I wasn't a big fan. It adds a lot of sharpness, but its limited to 1080p so I wasn't able to use it. I probably tested it for an hour. If you want one I'll sell you mine for $100 shipped in usa.
Well,since my old plasma is only capable of 1080P, it may make more of an improvement on my TV than on yours. I've read that there is no 4K support(yet) but possibly will be producing a new model in the future that does support 4K. I'll sleep on it tonight and get back to you on the Darbee. I do appreciate your input on it and you offering to sell me yours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 02-23-2019, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 887
Quote:
I've decided once again to hang onto my Panasonic plasma.....Anyways I read online about the Darbee 5000S, how it's supposed to boost the picture quality and help the colors pop a little more. Some say it makes their 1080P TVs comparable to a UHD TV, but I'm being a little more realistic about it and just hoping for a slight improvement in an already great picture and that should tide me over,help resist the urge to go out and buy a 4K TV right now.

Does anyone on here have any experience with the Darbee DVP,is it worth the money or will I likely be disappointed?? They usually retail for $200 and up but I found one online for about $130. Right now I'm leaning towards purchasing one. Seems most reviews and videos I've seen of it, most consumers were impressed by it. Like I said I'm being completely realistic about my expectations and hoping for a noticeable improvement but not expecting true UHD picture.

Do it.

I have a Darbee DVP-5000S on my 50GT50 that we're still using in the wife's Den and it definitely improves the picture. Before that i had the older version (without the S) and the newer current model is a little better. I gave my old one to my friend for his Pioneer 6020 Kuro and it improved his picture as well (he loves it). If you get one make sure it's the newer version (which also has a much better remote).

Back in 2012 my only complaint about my then-new 50GT50 was how much softer the image was than on my older Panny G10 and PZ700U, and this softness and lack of detail was a common complaint in the various threads for the VT50, GT50, and ST50 models. So i bought a Darbee DVP-5000 and saw an immediate improvement in facial detail and the image was now considerably crisper (but even with the Darbee the GT50's image is still not as crisp or detailed as my 55ST60 with no Darbee).

But i think the Darbee is a must on the 50 series Pannys. I can't watch that GT50 without the Darbee. I'm used to the crisp detailed image i get on my 55ST60 and 55X900E. The Darbee at least gets it closer to these other displays.

Newer DVP-5000S in the Darbee Thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/37-vi...l#post40478754

My Softness post in the VT50 thread (before i bought a Darbee) and many other people there saw the same softness issue:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-p...l#post22232402

__
Bruce2019 likes this.

Randy
Sony XBR-55X900E, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Darbee DVP-5000S, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - https://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...

Last edited by RandyWalters; 02-23-2019 at 08:55 AM.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-23-2019, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 3578 Post(s)
Liked: 2767
I've never used a Darbee but almost every pro review and user comment I've read has been very positive with only a few users saying they didn't think it produced a significant improvement in 1080p image performance.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-23-2019, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
Quote:
I've decided once again to hang onto my Panasonic plasma.....Anyways I read online about the Darbee 5000S, how it's supposed to boost the picture quality and help the colors pop a little more. Some say it makes their 1080P TVs comparable to a UHD TV, but I'm being a little more realistic about it and just hoping for a slight improvement in an already great picture and that should tide me over,help resist the urge to go out and buy a 4K TV right now.

Does anyone on here have any experience with the Darbee DVP,is it worth the money or will I likely be disappointed?? They usually retail for $200 and up but I found one online for about $130. Right now I'm leaning towards purchasing one. Seems most reviews and videos I've seen of it, most consumers were impressed by it. Like I said I'm being completely realistic about my expectations and hoping for a noticeable improvement but not expecting true UHD picture.

Do it.

I have a Darbee DVP-5000S on my 50GT50 that we're still using in the wife's Den and it definitely improves the picture. Before that i had the older version (without the S) and the newer current model is a little better. I gave my old one to my friend for his Pioneer 6020 Kuro and it improved his picture as well (he loves it). If you get one make sure it's the newer version (which also has a much better remote).

Back in 2012 my only complaint about my then-new 50GT50 was how much softer the image was than on my older Panny G10 and PZ700U, and this softness and lack of detail was a common complaint in the various threads for the VT50, GT50, and ST50 models. So i bought a Darbee DVP-5000 and saw an immediate improvement in facial detail and the image was now considerably crisper (but even with the Darbee the GT50's image is still not as crisp or detailed as my 55ST60 with no Darbee).

But i think the Darbee is a must on the 50 series Pannys. I can't watch that GT50 without the Darbee. I'm used to the crisp detailed image i get on my 55ST60 and 55X900E. The Darbee at least gets it closer to these other displays.

Newer DVP-5000S in the Darbee Thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/37-vi...l#post40478754

My Softness post in the VT50 thread (before i bought a Darbee) and many other people there saw the same softness issue:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-p...l#post22232402

__
I really appreciate the helpful feedback! I was already leaning towards purchasing one from reading up on the DVP 5000S and watching multiple videos for it. Seems like it'll clean things up a good bit,which is really all I could ask for. You bring up a very interesting point about the image softness of the GT50. Its something that never crossed my mind,but I dont have much to compare it to as my only other HDTV is an older model Vizio LCD that I have in my bedroom so there's not much for me to base a comparison off of. I had no idea there was much of a difference in image sharpness between the 50 and 60 series Panasonic Plasmas. I actually passed on the opportunity to purchase a VT 60 last year for a very reasonable price. If it were a 65 inch model I most definitely would have jumped on it, but since I already had a 60 inch plasma,I just assumed there wouldn't be much of an improvement in PQ going from a 50 to a 60 series, even though the VT line is higher regarded than the GT. I just remember reading multiple reviews before purchasing my GT50 and they said image quality among the ST,GT,and VT was virtually identical with the main difference being the VT had a slightly brighter picture in a well lit room. Well crap......now I'm somewhat regretting passing on the VT60,lol! Well if I ever run across another I may go ahead and buy it.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-25-2019, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 674

Don't have any experience with the Darbee DVP-5000/5000S models but my Oppo BDP-103D has the "Darbee Visual Presence" built-in.
And it definitely improves the picture as RandyWalters mentioned. At least most of the time depending of the movie/source.
Mine is set to the recommended 35% (Up tp 100%) by most reviewers.

post #8 of 8 Old 02-25-2019, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:

It is a one of a kind tweak. Verrrryyyyy impressive. I was the second person who purchased it in CES 2012 when the late Paul Darbee was there. Last year my Darblet stopped working and I purchased another one. I just can't watch movies without it any more. The BEST tweak I ever purchased.
Jbhur212 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page