Problems with Viera media player on VT30 - image retention mitigation - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-16-2019, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Problems with Viera media player on VT30 - image retention mitigation

Hi everyone.

I have some image retention (could be burn in but hope not) on my nearly eight year old 65VT30 after playing some video game sessions that lasted longer than usual.

I downloaded D-Nice's test slides, threw them on an SD card and popped them up in the media player. Weirdly the TV is showing all of the image slides and for each one it is also showing another file with the same name but extra characters and the player reports that the file can't be displayed.

I've downloaded different slides, formatted the media, tried a USB drive and the same result for all.'

Is there something in the media player itself that needs to be addressed to clear this up? I don't want to run slides over night if every other one is going to display "file can't be displayed" in big white letters in the middle of the screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-16-2019, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 238
I am not familiar with the slides. What is the file extension? Try opening the file in a graphics program and resaving it. Sometimes I have a problem with a program having trouble with a file. Using Irfanview (free) I use that method and it works. Also try opening it and then saving it to another format. For example open a jpg file and then save it to a bmp file.

HT: PSA MTM-210T front, MTM-210C center, PSA MTM-210T surrounds, PSA MT-110 rears, Atmos / Canton, Ascend CBM-170SE, PSA V1800 , PSA V1801, Marantz SR7009 AVR & Emotiva A-100 stereo amp, Panasonic 65ST60 Plasma, Oppo BDP 93, Sony S1700, Music video: JBL L890, L880, LC2, SVS pc13-Ultra, Yamaha RX-V385, ASUS 31.5" IPS monitor, Sony S1700, Multichannel stereo: PSA MT-110, Bose 901, PSA S1510DF, Denon X1400H, Marantz SR6005
post #3 of 8 Old 04-16-2019, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuspaul View Post
I am not familiar with the slides. What is the file extension? Try opening the file in a graphics program and resaving it. Sometimes I have a problem with a program having trouble with a file. Using Irfanview (free) I use that method and it works. Also try opening it and then saving it to another format. For example open a jpg file and then save it to a bmp file.
The file extension is .jpg.

I will have to take some photos of this tonight and add them to this thread as this problem is quite frustrating.

Let's say that I have the following files;

slide1.jpg
slide2.jpg
slide3.jpg

What the media player shows is;

slide1.jpg
slide1_.000.jpg
slide2.jpg
slide2_.000.jpg

etc.....

The "real" files display in the media player just fine but the "phantom" ones get an error that they can't be displayed.

If I pop the drive into my Mac or PC and look at them there are no hidden files.... if I use a different SD card, different set of images, rename the images, etc., the problem is always there.

This has to be some jacked up behavior with the media player itself like it is building an index of what is on the drive and it's corrupted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-16-2019, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Hi everyone.

I have some image retention (could be burn in but hope not) on my nearly eight year old 65VT30 after playing some video game sessions that lasted longer than usual.

I downloaded D-Nice's test slides, threw them on an SD card and popped them up in the media player. Weirdly the TV is showing all of the image slides and for each one it is also showing another file with the same name but extra characters and the player reports that the file can't be displayed.

I've downloaded different slides, formatted the media, tried a USB drive and the same result for all.'

Is there something in the media player itself that needs to be addressed to clear this up? I don't want to run slides over night if every other one is going to display "file can't be displayed" in big white letters in the middle of the screen.

Dont worry..

If you have some image retention on an 8year old plasma tv, just because of some video gaming.. Trust me.. it will go away.. Just watch normal content.. If you would have serious image retention problems with your plasma, it would show up all over the place..

HUDS and tv channel logos are just very aggressive, but I had gaming HUDs visible for weeks on certain content.. and in the end.. it all went away..

Panasonic 42inch ST60 owner
Panasonic 42inch S10 ES (Europe/Silver) owner

Last edited by Bruce2019; 04-16-2019 at 03:02 PM.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-16-2019, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce2019 View Post
Dont worry..

If you have some image retention on an 8year old plasma tv, just because of some video gaming.. Trust me.. it will go away.. Just watch normal content.. If you would have serious image retention problems with your plasma, it would show up all over the place..

HUDS and tv channel logos are just very aggressive, but I had gaming HUDs visible for weeks on certain content.. and in the end.. it all went away..
Thanks for the input. It's been there through quite a few hours of non gaming viewing so I'm going to run the slides for a night and see what that does.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-16-2019, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

My original problem was actually caused by MacOS - which apparently now creates copies of files for index/search purposes on removal media. This is an extremely annoying behavior that I'll have to investigate if it's possible to disable.

I had to use the terminal to find the duplicates and then rm -r them out of existence. Slide deck now running properly.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-17-2019, 07:15 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
My original problem was actually caused by MacOS - which apparently now creates copies of files for index/search purposes on removal media. This is an extremely annoying behavior that I'll have to investigate if it's possible to disable.

I had to use the terminal to find the duplicates and then rm -r them out of existence. Slide deck now running properly.
I was about to ask if you used a MAC because this was a common issue some years back with folks trying to use the slides, but i see you figured out removing those pesky companion files.

The slides won't really do anything to reduce IR or Burn In, but check this post:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-p...l#post56408846

Randy
Sony XBR-55X900E, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890, MX-500 Remotes.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - https://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #8 of 8 Old 04-17-2019, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
I was about to ask if you used a MAC because this was a common issue some years back with folks trying to use the slides, but i see you figured out removing those pesky companion files.

The slides won't really do anything to reduce IR or Burn In, but check this post:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-p...l#post56408846

Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page