Panasonic ST50 screen cracked - anyway to fix it? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By RandyWalters
  • 1 Post By mailiang

post #1 of 9 Old 06-10-2019, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Panasonic ST50 screen cracked - anyway to fix it?

My son today threw a ball at the screen of my TV and the TV turned off. I then found out that I had the 7 blinking lights which seems like from googling, it might be the Y Sustain board.

But then I took it off the wall and looked closer and the damn screen is cracked. It's got the typical "ball crack" that you would see from impact.

Is there anyway at all to replace the screens on these things or am I going to just have to buy a new TV? I'm pretty sure I'd have to replace the board which is like $80 (not too bad) but replacing the glass, is that even a possibility?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-10-2019, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 887
Sorry to tell you that the TV is not repairable once the panel is cracked. It's done. Not worth even looking into fixing really (no replacement panels since 2012).

But the prices on used 2012 and 2013 Panasonic Plasmas is lower than ever so you might find some good deals on Craigslist if you want to stick with Plasma. I almost grabbed a 50" ST60 for $200 a month or two ago when i thought my GT50 was dying.

If you want to go LCD, the Sony X900F series gives a lot of bang for the buck. My 49X900F and 55X900E give my 50GT50 and 55ST60 a good run for their money and i'm enjoying them quite a bit. These Sonys have a pretty natural looking image that kinda surprised me. Plasma is still better though, but the Sonys do beat them in some picture categories.

Randy
Sony XBR-55X900E, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Darbee DVP-5000S, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - https://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #3 of 9 Old 06-14-2019, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1190 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Question Sony, the one and only?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
Sorry to tell you that the TV is not repairable once the panel is cracked. It's done. Not worth even looking into fixing really (no replacement panels since 2012).

But the prices on used 2012 and 2013 Panasonic Plasmas is lower than ever so you might find some good deals on Craigslist if you want to stick with Plasma. I almost grabbed a 50" ST60 for $200 a month or two ago when i thought my GT50 was dying.

If you want to go LCD, the Sony X900F series gives a lot of bang for the buck. My 49X900F and 55X900E give my 50GT50 and 55ST60 a good run for their money and i'm enjoying them quite a bit. These Sonys have a pretty natural looking image that kinda surprised me. Plasma is still better though, but the Sonys do beat them in some picture categories.

I've also noticed that some of the Sony LCD's look as close as you can get thesse days to a PDP in terms of over all PQ. Not sure why, but if anyone has any knowledge as to how they achieved this tech-wise, please share. Inquiring AVS minds would like to know!

Ian
Dr.Shankenstein likes this.

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-15-2019, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 9 Old 06-15-2019, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
I've also noticed that some of the Sony LCD's look as close as you can get thesse days to a PDP in terms of over all PQ. Not sure why, but if anyone has any knowledge as to how they achieved this tech-wise, please share. Inquiring AVS minds would like to know!

Ian
Sony hands down has some of the best PQ and image processing on the market.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 9 Old 06-16-2019, 05:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Very unfortunate about your st50. But the good news is as others have already mentioned you can now buy a comparable LCD to takes it place. In fact, I actually prefer the PQ my Sony x930e has over my old Panny GT50.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-16-2019, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Sony and Panasonic are the companies with the most experience in tv tech (since the 60s) and also broadcasting and production.. You want natural reference picture = go with these 2 brands.. (Just my opinion)

Personally I think a LCD needs a glossy panel (like the oleds) to achieve that punchy picture of a Plasma.. But this is just my opinion and I know that many prefere a semi-matte coating..

I got lucky because this year Panasonic released one lcd series with such a clear panel and I could not resist to order it..

Panasonic TX-P42STW60 PDP
Panasonic TX-50GXW804 LCD
post #8 of 9 Old 06-18-2019, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 209
post #9 of 9 Old 06-18-2019, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast View Post
My son today threw a ball at the screen of my TV and the TV turned off. I then found out that I had the 7 blinking lights which seems like from googling, it might be the Y Sustain board.

But then I took it off the wall and looked closer and the damn screen is cracked. It's got the typical "ball crack" that you would see from impact.

Is there anyway at all to replace the screens on these things or am I going to just have to buy a new TV? I'm pretty sure I'd have to replace the board which is like $80 (not too bad) but replacing the glass, is that even a possibility?
You can recoup some descent money by parting out the boards. All the boards are likely good. The SC could be bad though since you are getting 7 blinking lights. A board is worth $180.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-T...kAAOSwmqZcU4kT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page