post #31 of 52 Old 06-19-2019, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Just a couple weeks ago I was at customer service and noticed the store manager was there to do some sort of approval. So I asked "How's Samsung QLED doing, any better with this year's models that have the really good anti-glare filter?"

And his reply... "QLED is just Samsung's version of OLED. It's always sold well"
And here, in a nutshell, is why I refuse to support Samsung, as a TV producer, with my money.
I can envision the meeting where somebody came up with the QLED acronym and everybody started elbowing each other thinking about how they could manage to confuse consumers.
mailiang likes this.

Seriously. AVS is a place where you go to learn to be unhappy. - Bear5k
Video Pioneer PDP-LX6090 (calibrated)
Audio Yamaha RX-A3010, Dynaudio Audience 72 (FL, FR), Dynaudio Audience 42C (C), Dynaudio 42W (SR, SL), Chario Piccolo Star Satellite (Presence Height), SVS PB-1000 (SW)
Sources HTPC, Xbox One S, Squeezebox
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 06-19-2019, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8579 Post(s)
Liked: 5779
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
The end of plasma was a particularly harsh transition, with TVs that had finally achieved superlative levels of performance being relegated to the dustbin of history.
Funny you say that as just yesterday my friend, who's house burned in the Santa Rosa County fires in 2017, asked about the "new to them" 42" Plasma TV my friend is giving them now that they are two months away from moving in.

"Is it good off angle as I hated our old LCD for that reason."

Obviously it is and the cheapest OLED I find is $1500 they don't need to spend and at 55" is larger than they would like anyway so they would be forced to look at a QLED which isn't bad off angle but not sure what they would think.

Luckily I found a place to repair my ST60 when it dies as the picture is more than satisfactory and to replace it with an OLED would cost $2000 or so.

Perfectly happy with 1080p at 15 feet viewing distance.

Geoff A. J., California
post #33 of 52 Old 06-19-2019, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked: 529
I have never owned a LED or LCD LOL. I think my first tv was a 36" Sony triniton followed by a DLP from who I forgot and then a slew of Pioneer Elite Plasmas. I had a Pioneer Elite Plasma from each generation. After the first gen I purchased a second gen 2 until pioneer went under. I still have my 110FD in my bedroom and watch it ever night before bed. my 151Fd was replaced by a LG E6. All I can say is that the OLEDS construction are garbage compared to the construction of the pioneer elites. The Pioneer elites if anything were over built and the OLEDs are under built but the OLED picture is great. When I first made the switch from the plasma to the OLED it took a lot time to get used to it.
SuperFist and Bruce2019 like this.

Last edited by Dave-T; 06-19-2019 at 11:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 52 Old 06-19-2019, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 292
The biggest Problem with Plasma tvs is their age..

Many Pioneers and older Panasonics are already 10 years old..

Even the last built Panasonic 60series and the Samsungs are now 6 years old..

To me it is becoming a bit frustrating, because in my country Plasma tvs had a much smaller market share then in the US, so good models are hard to get..

Panasonic TX-P42STW60 PDP
Panasonic TX-50GXW804 LCD

Last edited by Bruce2019; 06-19-2019 at 12:21 PM.
post #35 of 52 Old 06-19-2019, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
I don't agree that an LCD TV is inferior to plasma for all people in all situations. A good salesperson will cite a balanced summary of the pros and cons of each and let the customer make the final decision. A bad salesperson will try to steer customers in a direction that's not optimum for those customers' specific needs and personal preferences.
After the LCD's TV's I've seen in friends and families houses I don't know how anybody could say an LCD TV is not inferior.
post #36 of 52 Old 06-19-2019, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post
I said goodbye to my GT25 today. The mainboard is toast and the rebuild would have been $300+.

It was one of my favorite displays... Sad day.
Do not toss it out. I suggest holding onto the unit should you have second thoughts.
Dr.Shankenstein likes this.
post #37 of 52 Old 06-19-2019, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex F. View Post
Do not toss it out. I suggest holding onto the unit should you have second thoughts.
Dont know how hard it is to fix, but I found the A & P boards on ebay for about s $100 for the set.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk
post #38 of 52 Old 06-19-2019, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1994 Post(s)
Liked: 1896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test Ickles View Post
Many consumers were told that LCD has the best picture by salespeople. I've been told that myself. The first thing that anybody would ask when buying a TV is which one has the best picture. Unfortunately for Plasma that answer was often LCD.
a genuinely neutral shopper, i would share my true thoughts about plasma.
a customer that came specifically looking for lcd, probably wouldn't bother.

i'm just saying i don't expect salespeople to undo what the manufacturers marketing did. my customer service experience may have tainted my views, but some customers just aren't worth the effort

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
post #39 of 52 Old 06-19-2019, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1994 Post(s)
Liked: 1896
Quote:
I don't agree that an LCD TV is inferior to plasma for all people in all situations. A good salesperson will cite a balanced summary of the pros and cons of each and let the customer make the final decision. A bad salesperson will try to steer customers in a direction that's not optimum for those customers' specific needs and personal preferences.
i think it's extremely rare that any product is ever unanimously considered the 'best'.

at the end of the day, i wouldn't sell my parents a plasma(i've seen what they did with the one i left them). and if i wouldn't sell one to them, then i must concede that there are some situations when an led is the best option.

i think your summary is pretty spot on. the complaint that all salespeople are directing people towards led is a valid complaint. but suggesting they should have steered customers towards plasma is exactly the same problem.

personally, when i've walked into stores and expressed my desire for a plasma, and specified why i wanted one, i've never had somebody try to talk me into an led. i have been shopping since 2013 though...
Bruce2019 likes this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
post #40 of 52 Old 06-19-2019, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 3578 Post(s)
Liked: 2767
Quote:
After the LCD's TV's I've seen in friends and families houses I don't know how anybody could say an LCD TV is not inferior.
That's fine to have that opinion. I personally think my plasma looks better than LCD TVs at others' houses. But when others visit my house they don't lust after my plasma and ask where they can get a great TV like mine. They're happy with what they have for whatever reasons they might have. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and opinions are never unanimous.
gajCA likes this.
post #41 of 52 Old 06-19-2019, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2030 Post(s)
Liked: 2831
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
That's a good point. I have 3 LCD'S with matte screens. During the day two of the rooms, which include my kitchen, are pretty bright. I can not fathom viewing my plasma, which is in my den where I have controlled lighting 24/7, in those other rooms. It's just not practical.

Ian
Over the years TVs have dropped in price enough that you can have more than one. Depending on what room you're putting one in and it's lighting conditions will determine what you need.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #42 of 52 Old 06-19-2019, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Dont know how hard it is to fix, but I found the A & P boards on ebay for about s $100 for the set.

That's pretty cheap. The P board is the cheaper of the two and the most likely candidate so if you wanted to roll the dice on P you could save a few bucks. Make sure the part numbers are exact on any boards you buy. It's not hard at all. Just unplug everything, pull the board and put the new one in and plug it all back in.
post #43 of 52 Old 06-19-2019, 09:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Quote:

I don't know about your panny , but I did the board swap on an LG plasma I had . It was a piece of cake , the absolute hardest part was keeping track of which of the 7000 screws that held the back on went where . A piece of thin cardboard with a rough sketch of the shape of the back , press the screws through the board as you take them out solves that . The second hardest was getting the wire bundles in the right spots for the back to fully seat .

I would say if you are at all interested in keeping your set go for it , it is just about idiot proof ( unplug the set before starting of course) and hopefully will give you many more years of use . Check for a thread for your set and see if anyone has done it and check with them , and see if there are any tweaks anyone has tried with success . While I had the back off mine I adjusted the pots to drop the black level a little more .

Turn that $*!# UP!! --Beethoven
post #44 of 52 Old 06-19-2019, 09:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Quote:
Put one on my friends deck to watch football or basketball next to the LCD he has out there and you will see that the plasma is inferior . Short of being on top of the roof on a rotisserie facing the sun it's in about the worst possible place for a TV , but we can see whats going on . TV wasn't the centerpiece of the deck build so it goes where it can , and the only spot for it SUCKS

It's a matter of application and intended use . Friends that don't care at all about picture quality , or had to have tons of daylight or all the lights on when watching I would push to LCD , friends that cared about picture quality , would control light and were willing to accept crappy viewing when there was a ton of light I would push toward Plasma . My friends that were in the TV and film industry(production side) would already know they wanted plasma , would hit me up for brand recommendations because they knew how I research like a lunatic .

Turn that $*!# UP!! --Beethoven
post #45 of 52 Old 06-20-2019, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

The reason why most lcd look very poor is because of the matte AR coating..

Put such an AR coating on a Plasma TV and it will look as aweful (see the 4. youtube video)..

If you look at this tv, you might be suprised that they have used a Samsung edgle lit lcd panel, but it looks stunning and nothing like a typical lcd tv, just because of the filter..

Also black level at day time and viewing angles are much much better with a glossy screen..

Compare the black level, colors and "pop" of the glossy tv vs the others..

Look at this plasma, how it looks like a typical low budget lcd screen when applied with an AR couting..

Plasma Screens usually have glossy screens with an applied clear black filter..

Attached a comparison of glossy vs matte, and a glossy Samsung LCD LED TV from 2010..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TNxlYfR.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	2582266   Click image for larger version

Name:	samsung2010press_large9.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	2582268  

Last edited by Bruce2019; 06-20-2019 at 06:46 AM.
post #46 of 52 Old 06-20-2019, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1190 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce2019 View Post
The reason why most lcd look very poor is because of the matte AR coating..

Put such an AR coating on a Plasma TV and it will look as aweful (see the 4. youtube video)..

If you look at this tv, you might be suprised that they have used a Samsung edgle lit lcd panel, but it looks stunning and nothing like a typical lcd tv, just because of the filter..

Also black level at day time and viewing angles are much much better with a glossy screen..

It's not just the glossy screen that separates the two technologies. LED back-lighting offers a host of issues which includes RGB filtering. https://www.techhive.com/article/305...klighting.html

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #47 of 52 Old 06-20-2019, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
It's not just the glossy screen that separates the two technologies. LED back-lighting offers a host of issues which includes RGB filtering. https://www.techhive.com/article/305...klighting.html

Ian
I did not say that..

post #48 of 52 Old 06-20-2019, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1190 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce2019 View Post
I did not say that..
Quote:
If you look at this tv, you might be suprised that they have used a Samsung edgle lit lcd panel, but it looks stunning and nothing like a typical lcd tv, just because of the filter......Look at this plasma, how it looks like a typical low budget lcd screen when applied with an AR couting.
Sorry about that, but if you claim that it doesn't look like a typical LCD and this happens to be a plasma thread exploiting the differences between these two technologies. you may want to use your words just a bit more carefully.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Last edited by mailiang; 06-20-2019 at 12:58 PM.
post #49 of 52 Old 06-20-2019, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 719
I quite liked my first HD TV - a CFL backlit Sony 40" LCD. Far more natural than LED in my opinion. Moved to a 50" GT25 plasma then the Samsung 60" F8500. I highly regretted not stretching to the 64" F8500 so I sold my 60 and went to great lengths, including a 400 mile round trip, to secure a non-working 64 that I repaired.

Unfortunately my 64 has been gathering dust ever since setting up my BenQ HD projector with 130 inch screen.
Bruce2019 likes this.
post #50 of 52 Old 06-20-2019, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

10:48 "We turned the LCD's off because there not even close." D-Nice. Crowd erupts in laughter.
20:05 D-Nice gives a nice explanation of what a "9.5" Kuro is.
mailiang likes this.
post #51 of 52 Old 06-21-2019, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 3578 Post(s)
Liked: 2767
Anyone up for rehashing Betamax vs. VHS?
post #52 of 52 Old 06-22-2019, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Anyone up for rehashing Betamax vs. VHS?
mailiang likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page