Questions on repaired Panasonic GT50 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By markg35

post #1 of 4 Old 06-21-2019, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Questions on repaired Panasonic GT50

Sorry if this ends up being a double post, just delete it in that case.

Being an owner of a Panasonic 42'' G25 since 2010 (42'' because prices were ridiculous in Canada in 2010.. they still are actually), I can't find a good reason to spend more than 2000$ on an OLED at this time but I'd like to at least upgrade in size. Even more so considering my 2010 Panny is still flawless to my eyes.

I've had opportunities to get my hands on 9G Kuros but since they stop at 50'' I'd rather get a bit lesser dark levels and get 5'' bigger.

I could get my hands on a 55'' GT50 for about 300 CAD$ (225 $USD) at a small local TV repair shop.
The set has had its mainboard replaced.

Questions are :

- Is it an indication that the TV wasn't handled with care while moving or had any accident and that I should be worried about this repair?
- Given the GT50 has two THX modes with decent pre-calibrations, would a mainboard replacement affect overall PQ and/or those calibrations? The only calibration I might do is running WOW blu-ray or something like that, so nothing professional.
- What would you do? Is it worth the upgrade for the price in your opinion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-21-2019, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 268
I would say it's definitely worth the upgrade.The size alone will be a huge upgrade.
1.Tv boards can go out for a lot of reasons.I wouldn't worry about past abuse if it looks and sounds good to you.
2.I don't think a mainboard replacement should effect calibration if the same model board was used.
3.I would check it out and see if I could get it a little cheaper.It is a huge upgrade though.

Only you know if you think it's worth it to you.It is a used TV so anything can happen.

I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago and found a Panasonic ST60.I'm still amazed at the picture.
Test Ickles likes this.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-21-2019, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 209
In additions to markg35's good answers Kuro's come in 60" models as well. Changing the main A board will wipe out the original hour count so you will not know for sure how many hours it has if you ever want to know. But being a 2012 I wouldn't worry about it. Go for it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-25-2019, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for your answers! I'll be trying my luck with it in the next couple days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page