• 1 Post By Bruce2019
  • 1 Post By Bruce2019

post #1 of 5 Old 10-17-2019, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Panasonic TH-42PX50U problem

I've had this panel since 2005 so I've gotten 15 trouble free years out of it. The other day my wife said when she turned it on it had a bunch of colored horizontal lines across the display that eventually went away as the panel heated up. Of course when I turned it on it didn't do it that time. Flash forward a couple of days and now it's doing it every time we turn it on and I noticed a few faint black horizontal lines off and on last night.

Any clue/suggestion on what it could be and can it be fixed (I'm an engineer so I have no problem taking it apart and swapping boards etc) AND this is the biggest question would parts be available?

I'd love to fix this panel as it still has (had lol) a great picture and I don't want a new "smart" TV as I don't like the big companies "privacy policies" as it seems they don't take your privacy seriously and just want to sell your information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-18-2019, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by theandies View Post
I've had this panel since 2005 so I've gotten 15 trouble free years out of it. The other day my wife said when she turned it on it had a bunch of colored horizontal lines across the display that eventually went away as the panel heated up. Of course when I turned it on it didn't do it that time. Flash forward a couple of days and now it's doing it every time we turn it on and I noticed a few faint black horizontal lines off and on last night.

Any clue/suggestion on what it could be and can it be fixed (I'm an engineer so I have no problem taking it apart and swapping boards etc) AND this is the biggest question would parts be available?

I'd love to fix this panel as it still has (had lol) a great picture and I don't want a new "smart" TV as I don't like the big companies "privacy policies" as it seems they don't take your privacy seriously and just want to sell your information.
I would rather check the used market to get a similar (and) newer model.. Pansonic PX80U for example.. Better contrast, lower power draw, more HDMI Inputs..
theandies likes this.

2013 Panasonic TX-P42STW60 PDP
2013 Panasonic TX-P42X60E PDP
post #3 of 5 Old 10-18-2019, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just saw your comment on the "run hours" thread.. Almost 50k run hours..

That is really alot.. You should get used similar Plasma tvs with more then half of this usage for very low prices..
theandies likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-21-2019, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce2019 View Post
I just saw your comment on the "run hours" thread.. Almost 50k run hours..

That is really alot.. You should get used similar Plasma tvs with more then half of this usage for very low prices..

Yes, I'm very happy with my 2005 purchase. It's been a great panel and will be missed even though it's so outdated technology wise. People would still comment on what a great picture it has (had ) to this day.

I've looked into getting a used plasma on fleabay etc. I'm just a little worried about buying used.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-21-2019, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, Plasma is second hand market only..

Or you can ask some people you know.. someone always knows someone and this someone knows someone that has a Plasma and does not need it anymore..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page