i just fried my tv by pressing the power button in - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By luckydriver

post #1 of 7 Old 10-21-2019, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 3
i just fried my tv by pressing the power button in

64 inch samsung plasma which had been rebooting. i had thought i read this as a diagnostic so i unplugged it and the held the power button in on the back of the tv and plugged it in. my UPS immediately kicked off. rinse and repeated 3 times. UPS kicked off each time..

so why did holding the power button in fry the tv...

i really didnt wanna spend 2300 on a fancy oled but from all ive read , i wont be happy with my |OTA 1080 on a cheaper one with bad upscaling.(ota is my sole source)

anything else i can do with this plasma? just had it apart over the weekend and no obvious damage

Last edited by luckydriver; 10-21-2019 at 07:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-22-2019, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydriver View Post

so why did holding the power button in fry the tv...

If you held the power button in for a while and then released it, and then plugged the TV in, then it was a fluke. Holding the power button in for a while is standard procedure. It discharges all the internal capacitors, ensuring that the TV completely shuts down and then cold-boots upon restart, as well as somehow assisting in powering back on when the TV is starting to have Y-Sustain board issues (fr at least some people, including me).

If you were holding it in when you plugged it in, you may have damaged something in the power supply board.

When you plug the TV in, it actually powers up, in standby mode. Discharged capacitors charge up quickly, the processors boots up and starts running, the remote control circuit "listens" for the On command from the remote, etc. Then when you push the On button on the remote, the firmware brings a bunch of other stuff to life.

If the button was held in while plugging in the TV, both of these stages may have started at the same time and pulled more current than the supply was designed for.

It seems like it should just be a blown fuse, since that is what the fuse is for: to blow when too much current is pulled. However, the UPS popping would suggest otherwise, as though something is shorted out now.

The last I looked, power supply board were available and not too expensive on places like eBay and online TV parts shops. You may be able to get it running again.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-22-2019, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

do you think visual inspection should show the power board is the issue? or i guess i can really just assume it is since when i plug it in it kills my UPS.

also i held the power button down while it was unplugged then plugged it in so i guess thats they bad thing to do

if fuse in the tv was blown would the UPS still turn off every time i plugged it in?

im just glad the UPS still works. they are not cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-22-2019, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydriver View Post
do you think visual inspection should show the power board is the issue? or i guess i can really just assume it is since when i plug it in it kills my UPS.

also i held the power button down while it was unplugged then plugged it in so i guess thats they bad thing to do

if fuse in the tv was blown would the UPS still turn off every time i plugged it in?

im just glad the UPS still works. they are not cheap.

It is certainly possible for something to be internally shorted without being visually abnormal, so a normal visual inspection doesn't necessarily tell you anything.

Some fuses (the ones with a clear glass tube or some kind of transparent housing) can be visually inspected. Fuses with non-transparent housing can be easily tested with an ohm meter or a continuity tester. But, I certainly would not expect the UPS to trip if it was the fuse, since a blown fuse does the opposite of tripping a UPS: it makes sure that no current flows.

You can't assume that it absolutely IS the power board without someone doing testing with the right diagnostic instruments. It's just the most likely suspect.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-22-2019, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

im not really good with testing electronics, it would be a 100 dollar shot in the dark that replacing 2 of 4 of my boards may make this work again.

i guess now that the tv has been unplugged since last night at 8 is it safe to assume nothing is 'hot' in there . i just can go home and rip the 2 boards out. i want to make sure i can take them out before ordering new ones. the tv is literally lost cause right now so nothing to lose
post #6 of 7 Old 10-23-2019, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

FYI i took out power supply and y board and ordered 2 new ones...so cross your fingers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191022_203831439.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	2631042  
markg35 and SuperFist like this.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-25-2019, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

put in new power board..new y board...the UPS did not kick off so something is better but no red light on and nothing turned on.

before when i plugged tv in it blew the UPS.

i hate to spend 125 for the x and main boards unless thats a guaranteee that is all else could go wrong but i thikn thats not all that could go wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page