1Likes
  • 1 Post By RandyWalters

post #1 of 2 Old 11-05-2019, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Pioneer Elite Tuner Question

Im cutting the cord and have run across articles stating that some displays have built in amplified tuners. Ive tried looking for an answer, but cant find one. Do the Elite models have this feature? Im trying to figure out what kind of antenna would work best for me and if I would need an amplified antenna. Im in a rural setting, but still within 30 miles of the towers I would want to receive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-05-2019, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 904
I've never heard of any particular TVs having an "amplified" tuner, but i bet any TV will pull in a good signal at 30 miles.

As a point of reference, i live 31 miles from the towers on Mt. Wilson, and i have an old-school Channel Master VHF/UHF antenna in my attic, with RG-6 split to various rooms in my house. Over the years all of my Panasonic Plasmas, Sony LCD TVs, 3 different Tivo's, and even my little 7" / 10"/ 13" / 19" / 24" 2nd and 3rd tier LCD TVs all pull in a strong OTA signal. I never get any signal break-up, and my line of sight literally crosses over the LAX Airport just north of me.

I imagine any Pioneer TV would have no problem even with a regular antenna.

PS i forgot to mention - back during the digital transition, a friend in West LA was asking me about getting a new roof antenna so he can pull in the new "HD" channels as his existing antenna was an old rusty VHF/UHF one from the early 60's. But i said "no need" and we ran RG-6 from his new HDTV and his Tivo S3 to that old roof antenna (using a 75 ohm to 300 ohm adapter) and that 60 year old junker pulls in all the L.A. channels from 29 miles away with no problem. He was shocked, but i wasn't surprised.

Randy
Sony XBR-55X900E, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Darbee DVP-5000S, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - https://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...

Last edited by RandyWalters; 11-06-2019 at 08:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page