Panasonic TC-P50U2 Green Band on Left Side of Screen - Fixable? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-01-2019, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Panasonic TC-P50U2 Green Band on Left Side of Screen - Fixable?

I've had a problem with my old Panasonic TC-P50U2 plasma screen. For the last couple of years, I could get an intermittent green band on the left side of the screen of varying levels of intensity. It would come and go (sometimes for months at a time). This is obviously an old TV (purchased in 2010/2011 if I remember right) so I have no expectations that a defect at this age isn't very possible, but I am wondering if this is something a) that can be fixed, and b) if it can, whether it's even worth bothering. I do like the colours offered by plasma screens. but it is certainly obsolete given 4K technology (or so I understand). For the amount it is used, we don't really have cause to spend a pile of money on a new one if what we have can be easily fixed and we can get a few more years out of it. Other than the colour band, I do notice that there is a good bit of noise coming from the back of the TV (it sounds like a noisy electrical transformer, but I have no real expertise or reference to compare it against). Would welcome any advice or suggestions the group may have!

A couple of (marginally useful) pictures are attached to give you a sense of the visual. These were taken back in January the last time this problem cropped up, which then subsequently disappeared again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-01-01 14.28.46.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	2648132   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-01-01 14.28.57.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	2648134  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-03-2019, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 235
There's a ribbon cable directly under that green patch. Take the back off and see if you can get to it. Might have to remove some parts to get to it. Unplug it and blow out the dust. Plug it back in and make sure it's seated nice.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-04-2019, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Also, if you do decide to take the back off, check to make sure all the grounding screws are nice and snug on the boards. Please make sure its UNPLUGGED. I had a tc-p50s2 that used to buzz pretty bad, and the buzzing basically was gone after tighten the screws. I don't think the 2010 models were affected like the 2011 models with the loose screws, but since you have the back off it wont hurt to check.

(2)-Panasonic TC-P55VT30 / Yamaha RX-V3800 / Mirage Omni Speakers / Velodyne subs
(1)-Panasonic TC-P55GT30
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-04-2019, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test Ickles View Post
There's a ribbon cable directly under that green patch. Take the back off and see if you can get to it. Might have to remove some parts to get to it. Unplug it and blow out the dust. Plug it back in and make sure it's seated nice.
Thanks! I had wondered if there was something like this worth trying. Is there any point in firing something like compressed air into the TV or does the ribbon cable need to be removed? Is the take-apart process fairly straight forward? Any references you can point me to for instructions on how to do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jst333 View Post
Also, if you do decide to take the back off, check to make sure all the grounding screws are nice and snug on the boards. Please make sure its UNPLUGGED. I had a tc-p50s2 that used to buzz pretty bad, and the buzzing basically was gone after tighten the screws. I don't think the 2010 models were affected like the 2011 models with the loose screws, but since you have the back off it wont hurt to check.
Interesting that the buzzing seems to be linked to the grounding screws. What does a grounding screw look like and where would I expect to find it? Do you mean the screws that connect the circuit boards to the TV chassis?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page