60” Pioneer Kuro/Panasonic Plasma or 65” Sony OLED: DVDs & Power Consumption? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-21-2019, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 0
60” Pioneer Kuro/Panasonic Plasma or 65” Sony OLED: DVDs & Power Consumption?

I'm still on my Toshiba 32" CRT (still love it but way too small a display) as I decide between Sony's OLED for 2020 and the best 50 or 60" 1080p plasma well under $4k. Black level range and contrast are essential for me (big film noir fan), though both plasma and OLED are about equal in that regard. So my other concerns are DVD upscaling and power consumption.

As I don't do streaming or even subscribe to any TV service all of my sources are DVD and BD. I saw the Sony A9F OLED upscale the DVD version of "Molly's Game". It looked very good but somewhat soft, though I may have to ask Best Buy if I can repeat the test because I don't recall if I was wearing my glasses. However, others at this forum-one who's a professional TV calibrator-said that DVDs will always look better on a 1080p or less display. So apparently OLED-all of which are 4K-would not be the best choice?

As for power consumption, the Pioneer Kuro KRP-600M which may be the perfect choice for me (though I don’t like thick bezels) but can't find for sale anywhere has two low power mode settings. My movie & internet room is always in subdued light, and for movies only I use a 25 watt red light in the corner. So how would the power draw of a 60" plasma (Pioneer Kuro or comparable Panasonic model) set for low brightness in my kind of room compare to my 32" Toshiba CRT-AND to the 2019 Sony A9F which is spec-ed 469W, but which may also have a low power/brightness mode? https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/so...-oled/settings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-23-2019, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 20
So one thing i'd mention is matching resolution.

A 480p will look better on a 1080p display than it will on a 4k display. Even though upscaling has gotten vastly better it having to scale the imagine around 16 times where as the 1080p screen is scaling it 4 times. The bigger you stretch a low resolution source the worse off it looks. Hence dvds will probably look best on your 32 crt.

The plasma will simply use more power. They're pretty much as bad as crt in their high energy use. Emissive panels use more power.

If you turn on a low power mode you're throwing out picture quality. In all honesty power consumption from a tv should never be a realistic concern. Unless you're putting in over 5 hours a day it a moot point. In the price range of tvs you're looking at you really shouldnt be hurting in the power bill.

The later samsung plasma and pioneer plasma will have the thinnest bezel however edge to edge bezeless screen simply werent a thing when plasma where in. The ZT/VT is a over all much thinner tv than the oleds because even though the thinnest point of the oled is near paper then the base is huge with all its component in it.

Last edited by Clesarie; 12-24-2019 at 06:11 AM.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-23-2019, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Ya Katzmaier said to stop worrying about power years ago.
https://www.cnet.com/news/what-you-n...r-consumption/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-24-2019, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test Ickles View Post
Ya Katzmaier said to stop worrying about power years ago. https://www.cnet.com/news/what-you-n...r-consumption/
Good for him but upwards of $60. a year with some Panasonic plasmas concerns me, especially since I'd like to use the plasma or OLED for both movies and computing. I wish he would have also had a Kuro or two on that list. And then there is heat emission not only during summer months but as yet another climate change accelerant. I don't expect perfection of course, but it's always essential to pursue it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page