From projector to plasma - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-08-2020, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 27
From projector to plasma

Hey guys, i currently have the sony vpl-hw40es projector in my batcave. on a 140 inch Black widow painted screen, the room is completely dark treated, however i still think the black is greyish, and it annoys me especially in dark scenes,did my research and an oled is out of the equation since it s very expensive,crt s are old and unavailable in lebanon(where i live)
the only thing left is a plasma, a guy is selling his Panasonic panasonic th-58pz750u,it was the top of the line panny back then, he bought it in 2012(even though it s a 2007 model) panasonic was selling it in 2011 2012 here,and it s made in japan apparently(don t know if that helps)
he used it 2/3 hours a day so it should have 7000 to 8000 hours max on the clock, it s still in a pretty good condition and haven t been moved since day 1
i read that the half life on these models are 1,00000 hours so it should have plenty left, i ve never owned a plasma before and it s a rarity finding one in my country,
what do you think about that model? would i find a significant improvement compared to the sony? it s not going to replace the sony , i'm going to add it to the room and use it on dark movies
the guy is selling it for 200/300 dollars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-08-2020, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 242
I don't think you will be happy with the black levels on a 2007 Panasonic. They got so much better climaxing with the 2013 models. That's a pretty decent projector. Perhaps look at getting a grey screen to enhance blacks.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-08-2020, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test Ickles View Post
I don't think you will be happy with the black levels on a 2007 Panasonic. They got so much better climaxing with the 2013 models. That's a pretty decent projector. Perhaps look at getting a grey screen to enhance blacks.
i have a black widow screen, it s a grey screen and it improved the black level but not enough to my liking, have you seen any panny screens from back then? is the black greyish?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-09-2020, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zallou3 View Post
i have a black widow screen, it s a grey screen and it improved the black level but not enough to my liking, have you seen any panny screens from back then? is the black greyish?
I had a 2007. Not too impressive when going up against the VT60 or Kuro. I think in a properly set up room which it sounds like you have, your Sony would beat a 2007 Panasonic. Here's a thread showing how much better the blacks got.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-p...ck-levels.html
post #5 of 5 Old 01-09-2020, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The Sony is the problem. The panels degrade and the main symptom is blacks becoming grey.

I moved to a used JVC X35 which I got for a few hundred dollars... You have to be patient to get a good price. It is great. Blacks are phenomenal and it's bright as well.

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page