Attempt to fix or replace - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-22-2020, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Attempt to fix or replace

I have a Samsung 58" Plasma (PN58A650) that is starting to have some display board issues. I have replaced the power supply and main board on this TV before, so I'm not necessarily opposed to attempt to repair my current issue but also know that around Superbowl is a good time to purchase a TV. I wanted to get some feedback regarding if AVSForum users believe my issue should be "simple" to fix or will probably require replacement parts which may not be worth the $ amount:

Current issue: The TV will sporadically (it is happening more and more often but of course not at this moment so I don't have a picture, but will try and get one later) have a video sync issue on the left side of the screen. What happens is that the vertical segments of the image are not lining up along the horizontal. That being if you pause an image you can see what should appear on the far left appearing multiple times across about a portion of the left side of the overall screen. The interesting part is that if you turn the panel (it has a swivel base) it will sometimes correct itself; which I'm hoping is an indication of maybe a loose or dirty connection on one of the boards.

I have not wanted to replace this TV as I am not a fan of LCD/LED (I can see the drag of images across the screen, drives me insane). Would love to do a projector, but the room is not very friendly to it and the cost is still a bit prohibitive (would need a UST + ambient light rejecting screen). With the OLED's getting lower in price I am debating if it is time to finally say goodbye to this TV and "upgrade". Looking at the LG B9 series (+calibration); will probably end up being the 55" though of course I would prefer to go up in size and not down.

If cost was NOT an issue, we would have probably done something long ago. But spending the $2k-$3k (TV + calibration) is not a small decision (for me/us).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-24-2020, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 33
As an electronics engineer that works on semiconductor manufacturing equipment when you say it sometimes corrects itself when you swivel the base it sure sounds like a connection problem. I'd start with all your input connection as since you have a swivel base these would be the logical place to look at first since most connection inside won't be subject to the turning force when swiveling the base. Since you've been in the TV before maybe something you had to disconnect to replace the boards has come loose.
Another thing you should do is look for the service manual. In my Panasonic service manual it has a troubleshooting section that has pictures of different problems. That should narrow you problem down and keep from spending money on boards not needed.
As far a price, are the parts available at a reasonable price? If the board you may need is super pricey ($100+) If it were me I'd just start shopping for a new TV.
I was in the same boat. My Panasonic TH-42PX50u died all of a sudden, similar picture problem that you are describing but all the way across the screen. I went ahead a bought a Sony A8G OLED and love it. All the problems you hear about with OLED I don't seem to have (motion, image retention etc). I've had it for almost 6 months now and love it. I couldn't just let my old plasma go out to pasture so I started looking at fixing it. $34 later and it works great. At first I thought it was the main board and got one off of flea-bay for $10. That wasn't the problem but it did get me a little further as it posted a error code that wasn't posted before. It turned out to be the SC (vertical scan board) that I got off of flea-bay for $24.

If parts are cheap and you can find the service manual I'd say fix it. I'm still impressed with my 2005 1080i plasma picture even to this day. I would have bought another new plasma but the industry stupidly moved away from that tech. What a shame.
Good luck

Sony 2019 Sony XBR-55A8G
Panasonic TH-42PX50U - 49,203 hours! DIED :-( then resurrected by me on 1/16/2020!!!!!

Various "cheap" TV's in kids room and video game room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page