1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jim Mohundro

post #1 of 6 Old 04-04-2020, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A Romote Kind of Problem?

I’ve enjoyed the service from the Panasonic 42” TH-42PZ700U plasma display I purchased in February 2008 (!) as a retirement gift to myself for a then whopping $1,800 (of course the Panasonic bonus that week was a Panny BD player so overall it appeared to be a bargain. Except for a two-time intermittent temporary brightness dimming (+- 15-25%) that happened a couple of times(for a couple of hours each time last year and the more permanent affliction of my no being able (with the remote to adjust the brightness (but, really, I teach a film class and I’m perfectly happy with the brightness stuck at “Standard.”

Last evening I experienced a new phenomenon with the display and its remote: I use four inputs—1) Cable, 2) PVR (for my Panny EH57 PVR, 3) DVD player and 4) Roku. I was watching an 11 PM live news broadcast on Input 1 and suddenly the input switched to my Roku input. Using the remote, I switched back to Cable and 30 seconds later the display switched to Roku. I then made sure that my hands were no closer than, first, two feet from the remote, then 3 feet from the remote with the business end of the remote pointed 180 degrees away from the display, then with the remote on a book, pointed at the books and at least 10 feet away from the display, and this peculiar thing happened again and again. I then replaced the batteries in the remote and again moved the remote about ten feet away and it happened again, Finally, I moved the remote to another room about 20 feet away and removed the remote’s batteries and the display finally stayed on station after I’d set it manually (I’d almost forgotten how to do that). I was able to keep the display on cable for 40 minutes with my manual manipulation inside the hidden control department on the display.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I’m really not as crazy as my wife sometimes think I am. I’m fairly sure that I should hunt down a new or good condition replacement remote somewhere, but could anything other than the remote be a problem when my guess at least preliminarily seems to indicate the remote is at fault (by the way, the remote is only about five years old and I had purchased it to replaced a failed original remote).

I can certainly grudgingly live with manually adjusting all the basic stuff (on/off) and volume) directly on the display, and use the remotes for the other device to manipulate those devices appropriately.

There are many on AVS who are knowledgeable users and purchasers of upscale, current-tech displays and would jump in to advise me to retire my 1-year old display, but 1) the blacks are still great (I’m pretty sure an LCD upgrade would not improve that aspect and might diminish it), 2) the vision from the corners is still good and I’ve read is not great from many LCD displays, and the physical setup in my small viewing room leaves no room for anything much larger than my perfectly satisfactory 42” display (although the current much thinner bezels might allow me to squeeze in a new 49-incher. I understand that LG will be marketing a 49” OLED later this year and that might be a future option to meet or improve on my Panasonic and I can wait for that, even perhaps for a 49” OLED that might be licensed to Sony to be sold at a much greater retail price.

So, is replacing the remote the most immediate solution to my problem or is there mysterious interaction between my aged display and a placement remote that be irreparable?

Last edited by Jim Mohundro; 04-04-2020 at 07:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-05-2020, 02:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 334
1) All Panasonic Plasma Remotes work with all Plasma TV Models, but some buttons are specific to some model, so there is some variance..

2) The cheapest option are replacement remotes of the original remote (by other companies) On the back of the remote is the model number

3) Attached is one example.. The black one is the original, the silver is the copy for 10$, they work really good..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8207.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	2705932   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8206.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	2705934   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8205.JPG
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	2705936   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8208.JPG
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	2705938  

2013 Panasonic TX-P42X60E PDP
2013 Panasonic TX-P42STW60 PDP
ST60 Settings: Custom Mode, Contrast 60 = 100nits peak brightness aka Filmmaker Mode, Panel Brightness Medium
Gamma 2.2 or 2.4, Gamma settings: 10% -30, 20% -15, 30% -5, 80% +3
post #3 of 6 Old 04-05-2020, 03:33 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked: 3671
just a thought, but could you disconnect the Roku and see if it still happens?
if so, check that any HDMI CEC settings in the Roku are turned off

also keep in mind plasma displays emit large amounts of IR noise: if you notice this happens only at night in a dark room, it could be IR noise from the plasma: adding a filter over the IR eye of the display can help (a piece of a film negative or similar)

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-06-2020, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce2019 View Post
1) All Panasonic Plasma Remotes work with all Plasma TV Models, but some buttons are specific to some model, so there is some variance..

2) The cheapest option are replacement remotes of the original remote (by other companies) On the back of the remote is the model number

3) Attached is one example.. The black one is the original, the silver is the copy for 10$, they work really good..
Bruce2019,

I did check Amazon where I purchased my current, replacement remote and saw a somewhat pricey ($23) OEM apparently identical remote. The price is not that bothersome if it’s the real thing, but—-

I did try the experiment of simply removing the remote’s battery and running the display with ordinary STB programming, i.e., NBC affiliate news and Turner Classic Movies and with the news program the Display reverted to the 4th HDMI2, Roku box input, and did the same with Turner Classic Movies in about 40 minutes, so I’m pretty convinced it’s not the remote but that the display is near the end of its useful life.

Because the Panasonic display is nearly 100 lbs, I, even together with my wife, cannot lift it down from its house-built-in cabinetry so just getting a new display from, say, Best Buy, is not on the immediate agenda since I’d be willing to and need the new display seller to also remove and dispose of my current display and I’m quite willing to pay the cost of that process along with that of the new display, whatever that may be; however, none of that help will be available until the effective conclusion of the virus crisis band that could well be many months.

I think my immediate plan is to move a little Samsung 24 inch model from an office/bedroom and stick it on a chair for now for news and other cable broadcasts (it looks as if I can get it close enough to the STB to use the available HDMI output there to connect to the Samsung) and use the existing display for streaming Netflix, Amazon and Acorn because the Roku input of course is the only one that does work (in fact we watched a four-part Acorn mystery over last evening and this evening, and that should adequately complement the small display’s cable fare).

So a new display seems to be in the (not near) future,
post #5 of 6 Old 04-06-2020, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
just a thought, but could you disconnect the Roku and see if it still happens?
if so, check that any HDMI CEC settings in the Roku are turned off

also keep in mind plasma displays emit large amounts of IR noise: if you notice this happens only at night in a dark room, it could be IR noise from the plasma: adding a filter over the IR eye of the display can help (a piece of a film negative or similar)
Markrubin,

Thanks for the tip. You’ll probably have read my reply to the poster before you. I’ll answer your second hunch first. I did try the effect both in daylight and in the evening. The reversion to the Roku input worked in either event with consistency and became even shorter in the daylight.

I’m not sure what you meant by any HDMI CEC settings in the Roku. I’ve now had three Roku. Two for my large plasma display and one for the smaller, Samsung display. None of the Roku have any settings. Were you referring to setting that might be available on the Roku channel itself?
post #6 of 6 Old 04-06-2020, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mohundro View Post
Markrubin,

Thanks for the tip. You’ll probably have read my reply to the poster before you. I’ll answer your second hunch first. I did try the effect both in daylight and in the evening. The reversion to the Roku input worked in either event with consistency and became even shorter in the daylight.

I’m not sure what you meant by any HDMI CEC settings in the Roku. I’ve now had three Roku. Two for my large plasma display and one for the smaller, Samsung display. None of the Roku have any settings. Were you referring to setting that might be available on the Roku channel itself?
Bruce2019 and markrubin,

An Update

I wrote a couple of responses late last evening and appreciate the ideas you’ve both suggested to me.

I remembered that yesterday I’d left out one of the suggested remedies: simply removing the Roku input from the 42” Panasonic display, leaving the Cable, My DVDR and the DVD input.

I then manually moved the input selections through the above options that were left. I quickly discovered that the DVD input for my little Sony BD player appeared to be working properly. Although I did not test it with a DVD, like most other players it had a small available “library” of streaming options, e.g., Netflix, Amazon, YouTube and many more that were included in the original device.

After I’d first the tested the DVD input and found it working I manually went through the other two and, expecting that either there’d be a very brief contact and playback both Cable and my DVDR inputs, I got instead just “snow” on both inputs. I was quite surprised at the result and then reasoned that I ought either to get programming, however briefly, from the two inputs or just blank screens instead of snow. I then looked more closely at the input list and saw that “TV” had been selected, so of course no cable input was being recognized nor, naturally from my DVDR. I then noted that the “power” indicator lights and channel designation on my STB were off. Somehow (I guess) the “power” button had either failed on the STB’s remote or I’d inadvertently turned it off when, instead of the apparently failed Panasonic display remote, I used the volume up/down control on the STB’s remote to control the volum of the two streamed e;pistoles of the Acorn mystery we’d viewed last evening (of course the streamed services provide program content through my wireless router, not through the STB, and are logically not affected in any way by the cable box, hence our ability to have watched our mystery episodes on Acorn yesterday evening.

To close out too long a story, I turned the STB back on and the cable and DVDR inputs came back into service to join the DVD input. I then plugged the Roku back into its HDMI2 input on the display and all four inputs appear now to be fully functional. The Panasonic display has now been running for an uninterrupted seven hours so far and tested on several channels throughout the day. I may hold off on replacing the display’s remote (and, of course, buying a new, only 40 lb display) for now.

Thanks for your help, fellows.
markrubin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page