Going from kuro plasma to oled - cx vs a9g 77 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #1 of 41 Old 04-05-2020, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Going from kuro plasma to oled - cx vs a9g 77

owner of 60” kuro 151fd here since 2009. Have been looking for 77 oled and feel time is right.

Thinking of A9G or CX/GX - no good comparison review out there - flatpanelhd only serious CX review and they seem to put it above sony.

on the other hand, what I am reading here on plasma threads is that Sony is better at upscaling and image processing.

also android updates will be coming I feel vs WebOS not getting significant updates down the road with new gen displays.

Care about streaming HD/UHD content and 720p/1080p film and anime upscaling. Will be using apple tv 4k and PS3 with UMS media server from PC, occasionally minix andriod box for 1080p/uhd torrent movies (yts). Some gaming.... little time though so not that important but curious if not having 2.1 on sony and 120khz will come to bite me 1-2 yrs from now.

I think there are other kuro owners in this boat hence post on plasma forum.

thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 04-05-2020, 01:43 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by plivac_yu View Post
owner of 60” kuro 151fd here since 2009. Have been looking for 77 oled and feel time is right.

Thinking of A9G or CX/GX - no good comparison review out there - flatpanelhd only serious CX review and they seem to put it above sony.

on the other hand, what I am reading here on plasma threads is that Sony is better at upscaling and image processing.

also android updates will be coming I feel vs WebOS not getting significant updates down the road with new gen displays.

Care about streaming HD/UHD content and 720p/1080p film and anime upscaling. Will be using apple tv 4k and PS3 with UMS media server from PC, occasionally minix andriod box for 1080p/uhd torrent movies (yts). Some gaming.... little time though so not that important but curious if not having 2.1 on sony and 120khz will come to bite me 1-2 yrs from now.

thanks in advance!
I haven’t seen them, nor have I read anything about them. I’m just presenting some keyboard diarrhea:
As a general rule, Sony is king when it comes to televisions, even if the panel is supplied by LG.

*shrug*

Stick with the Kuro
post #3 of 41 Old 04-05-2020, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:

thanks in advance!
Except for black levels and Dolby Video / HDR, OLED is pretty crappy compared to plasma, and especially to Kuro. Sony and LG each have their own strengths and weaknesses, you'll need to decide based what is important to you. It's a question of how you prioritize individual features.

OLED motion handling is just awful. The sample-and-hold panel technology is inherently defective for motion. Sony does a better job with motion and upscaling, because they seem to have some secret sauce in their algorithms that LG does not have.

I have a 65" LG OLED, and 720p / 1080p upscaling and motion was almost unwatchable when I got the set. I put a Darblet https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 on that input, and now it is quite watchable, but not before the Darblet.

Watching 4K Blu-Ray using my Oppo-203 is still painful with movies like Tokyo Drift and Cloverfield, because of the LG OLED motion handling.

Sony will give you better motion handling and upscaling.

LG is better for gaming, because it has better input response / less input lag than Sony.

I am not informed about future Android TV upgrades, but these days the LG WebOS is a much better and more pleasant UI than Sony Android TV. I really like the LG WebOS.

The Sony has a more subdued, not-bright picture compared to the LG. I prefer the LG picture to the Sony picture (we watch without much control of lighting), but the less energetic Sony picture might appeal more to some people. Probably best to look at them side by side in a light-controlled showroom to see which looks better to you.

It's a mixed bag. Depending on what I am watching and the lighting conditions, on some days I wish I had gotten the Sony, on some days I am happy with the LG.

You'll need to figure out what is right for you.

And I saved this insane, UFO conspiracy-theory thing for last... OLED panels have real problems with banding, color uniformity, and grey scale uniformity across the panel. It's because of the imperfect manufacturing process. Don't take my word for it, go look at the panel uniformity thread in the OLED forum. I was lucky, I got a pretty good one from LG, but some are pretty bad. It's a lottery.

The conspiracy theory is that Sony pays LG Display a premium to get binned OLED panels that are the best quality, with the least grey scale banding and the best color uniformity. So that LG buyers on average get a worse panel than Sony owners.

There is no credible evidence for this, but a lot of anecdotal accounts. Take it as you like.
plivac_yu and titleexaminer92 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 Old 04-06-2020, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Those YTS Files will look not anywhere better then on your Kuro

2013 Panasonic TX-P42X60E PDP
2013 Panasonic TX-P42STW60 PDP
ST60 Settings: Custom Mode, Contrast 60 = 100nits peak brightness aka Filmmaker Mode, Panel Brightness Medium
Gamma 2.2 or 2.4, Gamma settings: 10% -30, 20% -15, 30% -5, 80% +3
post #5 of 41 Old 04-06-2020, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce2019 View Post
Those YTS Files will look not anywhere better then on your Kuro

I feared that was the case....

Somehow was hoping that Sony could get close though....
post #6 of 41 Old 04-06-2020, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowspawn View Post

I have a 65" LG OLED, and 720p / 1080p upscaling and motion was almost unwatchable when I got the set. I put a Darblet on that input, and now it is quite watchable, but not before the Darblet.

Is the Darblet similar to say lumagen (forget the cost for a second)?
post #7 of 41 Old 04-06-2020, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Is the Darblet similar to say lumagen (forget the cost for a second)?
I have no personal experience with Lumagen, so you have to take this with a grain of salt.

That said, looking at their web site, it looks as though Lumagen has absorbed or licensed the Darbee Video Processing that is in the Darblet:

http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php...ncepro_details

It looks kind of like a Darblet on steroids.
post #8 of 41 Old 04-07-2020, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowspawn View Post
I have no personal experience with Lumagen, so you have to take this with a grain of salt.

That said, looking at their web site, it looks as though Lumagen has absorbed or licensed the Darbee Video Processing that is in the Darblet:

http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php...ncepro_details

It looks kind of like a Darblet on steroids.

Was able to get used on on ebay for $100 so will try it out
post #9 of 41 Old 04-08-2020, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 114

Finally found a used 65zt60 near me after i
Sold mine 3 years ago for a 4K oled . Can’t wait to get it this weekend and “upgrade” my home theater

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ozymandis and whipit like this.
post #10 of 41 Old 04-09-2020, 03:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj Mohan View Post
Finally found a used 65zt60 near me after i
Sold mine 3 years ago for a 4K oled . Can’t wait to get it this weekend and “upgrade” my home theater

Nice! Let us know how your experience goes.
post #11 of 41 Old 04-09-2020, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post
Nice! Let us know how your experience goes.

Yeah I’ll put it right next to my 77g6p and make a comparison . I’m assuming for most 1080p content it’s going to look better . 4K and 4K hdr never looked “amazing to me “. Only thing I do think oled is good at is gaming but I watch lots of
Movies

Oh but 3D on oled is by far superior

Last edited by Manoj Mohan; 04-09-2020 at 06:31 AM.
post #12 of 41 Old 04-09-2020, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Was able to get used on on ebay for $100 so will try it out

Interestingly, this discussion broke out in the OLED forum yesterday:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...od-better.html
post #13 of 41 Old 04-09-2020, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Yeah I’ll put it right next to my 77g6p and make a comparison . I’m assuming for most 1080p content it’s going to look better . 4K and 4K hdr never looked “amazing to me “. Only thing I do think oled is good at is gaming but I watch lots of
Movies

Oh but 3D on oled is by far superior

Be careful putting them side by side. During the Superbowl I ran two TV's. 65VT60 and LG B6 OLED. I asked all guest which one they liked better and all said B6.
post #14 of 41 Old 04-09-2020, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test Ickles View Post
Be careful putting them side by side. During the Superbowl I ran two TV's. 65VT60 and LG B6 OLED. I asked all guest which one they liked better and all said B6.

Haha oh really ? That’s good to know .

post #15 of 41 Old 04-10-2020, 02:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 98
That's what I wonder. When next to each other you will want to get the ZT to look like the OLED which may not be the ZT's best. A darker room may better suit the plasma, if my VT is any indication.
post #16 of 41 Old 04-10-2020, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post
That's what I wonder. When next to each other you will want to get the ZT to look like the OLED which may not be the ZT's best. A darker room may better suit the plasma, if my VT is any indication.

Honestly im not impressed with oled during day maybe sometimes at night but even then the picture doesn’t have that pop , and I think it crushes blacks . It just looks dull and doesn’t have that wow factor but I have a 2016 maybe the newer ones are truly better . There is just something lacking , maybe it is all motion resolution that bothers me . I’ll soon find out !

Last edited by Manoj Mohan; 04-10-2020 at 06:00 AM.
post #17 of 41 Old 04-10-2020, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like it will be the A9G after all - most of the CX user reviews thus far have shown that there is very little improvement in upscaling from C9.

I'll start with the forum recommended calibration setup... and I'll keep the kuro just in case the change in image motion gets unbearable
post #18 of 41 Old 04-10-2020, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I have a Pioneer 5080 Kuro. Made the switch to the LG OLED C8.
The C8 does everything better than my beloved Pioneer. It is night and day? No. But it is better.

I don't understand "shadowspawn's" comments on motion. OLED has NONE, ZERO issues with motion. Perhaps your confusing LED or Samsung's dismal Qled, with OLED?\

Also, most dealers will tell you, the price jump for the Sony's slightly better processing, isn't worth it.

Last edited by Maximum7; 04-10-2020 at 07:51 PM.
post #19 of 41 Old 04-11-2020, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum7 View Post
I don't understand "shadowspawn's" comments on motion. OLED has NONE, ZERO issues with motion.
The OLED forum would like to have a word with you:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...od-better.html

My C8 blurs sports and stutters on blu-ray really badly. Some people are more sensitive than others. Also read this explanation:

https://blurbusters.com/faq/oled-motion-blur/

BFI (black frame insertion) was invented and made available specifically because of the issues with motion.

Last edited by shadowspawn; 04-11-2020 at 08:46 AM.
post #20 of 41 Old 04-11-2020, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Interesting. I don't watch much sports, but the sports I have seen, I haven't noticed it.
I've never noticed any issues with motion and have never even heard of it being a weakness.

I also don't watch movies on my OLED fed from a BR player. I use my Epson 5050 for that and I can see motion blur on it.

I can't even watch an LED or Qled tv without having to take Dramamine.

Last edited by Maximum7; 04-11-2020 at 09:09 PM.
post #21 of 41 Old 04-12-2020, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 70
If you have a functional Kuro, why would you want to replace it?
That is, for 1080P, non HDR.
Obviously, for 4K, HDR10/DV you may want one of the OLEDs. But can you have both - keep the Kuro in a different room?
It seems that if you combine motion without artifacts (different issues for 24P and sports at 60 Hz), near dark detail without artifacts, contrast ratio, that for 1080P the best plasmas are still preferable (depending on one's ability to discern these different types of issues).
I have a lowly Samsung F8500 and I am still reluctant to upgrade, although I would want to have HDR10/DV. It also seems that black frame insertion will eventually solve this, but is currently not the best implementation on OLEDs, as compared to high end LED LCDs. The CX series appears to be some improvement in BFI over the C9 series (but not enough). The Sony A8H and A9H are possibilities (vs. the A8G and A9G), but no comprehensive reviews (and A9H not out yet).

Living room: Samsung PN60F8500, Sony X800M2, Roku Premiere+, Revel W763, Revel M16, Hsu HB-1 MK2, RSL C34E, Rhythmik D15SE, Denon X4200W; Zone 2: Speaker selector, Yamaha RX-V495 (1999); Bedroom: Panasonic P50U54, Oppo BDP-80, Chromecast Audio, Advent Legacy III (1994), Denon 2310ci; Cabin: Roku 3, NHT Super Zero (1996), Hsu VTF-2 MK4, Denon 1712
post #22 of 41 Old 04-13-2020, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by highmr View Post
If you have a functional Kuro, why would you want to replace it?
That is, for 1080P, non HDR.
Obviously, for 4K, HDR10/DV you may want one of the OLEDs. But can you have both - keep the Kuro in a different room?
It seems that if you combine motion without artifacts (different issues for 24P and sports at 60 Hz), near dark detail without artifacts, contrast ratio, that for 1080P the best plasmas are still preferable (depending on one's ability to discern these different types of issues).
I have a lowly Samsung F8500 and I am still reluctant to upgrade, although I would want to have HDR10/DV. It also seems that black frame insertion will eventually solve this, but is currently not the best implementation on OLEDs, as compared to high end LED LCDs. The CX series appears to be some improvement in BFI over the C9 series (but not enough). The Sony A8H and A9H are possibilities (vs. the A8G and A9G), but no comprehensive reviews (and A9H not out yet).

wanted a bigger screen for a long time - going from 60" to 77" - also daytime watching is an issue with kids on the plasma - I will keep the Kuro for insurance

Also I heard that no new 77 in sony lineup this year and CX is no different from C9 really (based on CX thread)... and general consensus is that Sony is better at up-scaling SDR content than LG
post #23 of 41 Old 04-14-2020, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2552 Post(s)
Liked: 1477
Quote:
wanted a bigger screen for a long time - going from 60" to 77" - also daytime watching is an issue with kids on the plasma - I will keep the Kuro for insurance

Also I heard that no new 77 in sony lineup this year and CX is no different from C9 really (based on CX thread)... and general consensus is that Sony is better at up-scaling SDR content than LG
There are two sorts of upscaling. The resolution upscaling, which all manufacturers do well, and the HD SDR to fake UHD HDR upscaling which Sony does very well compared to other manufacturers.
post #24 of 41 Old 04-16-2020, 06:08 PM

Well I just got a zt60 and compareD it to my 77” 2016 oled . They look the same . Colors on plasma a bit
More “natural and pop “

It just tells me what an amazing tech plasma truly is all these years later

whipit, craigyboy and Bruce2019 like this.
post #25 of 41 Old 04-16-2020, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
This is the perfect example to show that brighter does not equal better. Thank you for posting this photo. Really appreciate it.

Quote:
Well I just got a zt60 and compareD it to my 77” 2016 oled . They look the same . Colors on plasma a bit
More “natural and pop “

It just tells me what an amazing tech plasma truly is all these years later

post #26 of 41 Old 04-16-2020, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsmvp View Post
This is the perfect example to show that brighter does not equal better. Thank you for posting this photo. Really appreciate it.

The plasma is simply more dim . I would say about 95% of movies looked the same just dim on plasma , which is not a bad thing it feels and looks more
Like your in a movie theater . Kind of
Feels as if there is a projector and has a real cinema
Feel to it . I can’t see it performing well at all in bright room needs
To be a dedicated dark room . As dark as black levels which I personally feel is a very over rated aspect of TVs these days they look the same too me

post #27 of 41 Old 04-17-2020, 02:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

To me they are not even close..

Colors are different, white balance is different, Gamma is different, shadow detail is different (the ZT60 is crushing blacks like crazy)

My Panasonic ST60 vs a 2019 Panasonic LCD TV fully calibrated.. The Plasma needed so much calibration it is basically broken out of the box, the LCD, and for sure your Oled are much much closer to how the picture should look.. Plasma TVs need calibration.. The Plasma is also not stable.. Gamma, white balance change with picture content.. On these pictures the LCD has the reference white balance.. The Plasma changes white balance especially at bright full screen content..

I 100% agree.. No matter what.. a Plasma TV has this "natural" and ultra realistic picture.. Congrats for owning such 2 amazing displays..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0935.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	2711222   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0934.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	2711224   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0936.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	2711226   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0947.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	2711228   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0946.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	2711230  

Name:	IMG_0944.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	2711232   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0942.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	2711234   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0941.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	2711236   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0949.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	2711238  

ST60 Settings: Custom Mode, Contrast 60 = 100nits peak brightness aka Filmmaker Mode, Panel Brightness Medium

Last edited by Bruce2019; 04-17-2020 at 02:07 AM.
post #28 of 41 Old 04-17-2020, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce2019 View Post
To me they are not even close..

Colors are different, white balance is different, Gamma is different, shadow detail is different (the ZT60 is crushing blacks like crazy)

My Panasonic ST60 vs a 2019 Panasonic LCD TV fully calibrated.. The Plasma needed so much calibration it is basically broken out of the box, the LCD, and for sure your Oled are much much closer to how the picture should look.. Plasma TVs need calibration.. The Plasma is also not stable.. Gamma, white balance change with picture content.. On these pictures the LCD has the reference white balance.. The Plasma changes white balance especially at bright full screen content..

I 100% agree.. No matter what.. a Plasma TV has this "natural" and ultra realistic picture.. Congrats for owning such 2 amazing displays..

Hmm that’s weird I guess that tells you everyone’s eyes are different ! I like the plasma better . It’s less irritating to the eyes , no black crush is your st60 HDMI color input set correctly ? I had to change mine to auto . But the most important reason I like the plasma is I use the thx bright
Mode at default and I’m done ! No more jumbling with settings over and over and over ... oh and no damn motion settings

But very very tough choice I can’t have both , both enter , one leaves ! Which one !?

Last edited by Manoj Mohan; 04-17-2020 at 05:45 AM.
post #29 of 41 Old 04-17-2020, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I did not say I like the oled better.. I just stated that they are not even close calibrated..

This is close..

I agree 100% with you.. Plasma is (still) amazingly good..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2217.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	2711304  

post #30 of 41 Old 04-17-2020, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:

thanks in advance!

Whatever you decide, don't sell your Kuro prior to buying an OLED. I sold my PRO-111FD prior to picking up the 55" A9G late last year and regretted it. 99% of my viewing is with 1080 sources and the OLED just didn't look as natural as the Pioneer. Get the OLED and do your own evaluation.
Bruce2019 likes this.

McIntosh MX121 McIntosh MC7205 Arial Acoustics Model 6 / Model 5 OPPO BDP-103
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page