Panasonic ST 60 powers on of and off - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By RandyWalters
  • 1 Post By Poolshark69

post #1 of 4 Old 06-04-2020, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Panasonic ST 60 powers on of and off

Hi. My 8 year old Panny ST60 seems to be failing. Last night it started to turn off and on by itself. We moved it to another outlet and we also left it unplugged all night but appears to still be doing the same thing. There is a repair shop but not sure if they will service it or if parts are still available. Reading online this seem or seemed to be a common problem years ago with some of these models. Now I am tasked with looking for a replacement in case it cannot be repaired. It has served me very well over the years and I will miss it but wondering what i should look at in terms of quality moving forward. I know plasma (to me) was the king of TV's but at this point I cannot afford to move to OLED because prices are still high here in Canada.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Gamertag: Quicksilver1663
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-05-2020, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 709 Post(s)
Liked: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolshark69 View Post
Hi. My 8 year old Panny ST60 seems to be failing. Last night it started to turn off and on by itself. We moved it to another outlet and we also left it unplugged all night but appears to still be doing the same thing. There is a repair shop but not sure if they will service it or if parts are still available. Reading online this seem or seemed to be a common problem years ago with some of these models. Now I am tasked with looking for a replacement in case it cannot be repaired. It has served me very well over the years and I will miss it but wondering what i should look at in terms of quality moving forward. I know plasma (to me) was the king of TV's but at this point I cannot afford to move to OLED because prices are still high here in Canada.
If the front indicator light is blinking, count the number of blinks before it pauses and starts blinking again. This can often give a clue as to which board has failed (or is failing). If you're handy at fixing things you may be able to have the offending board repaired at one of several different online sources and get the TV working properly again.

As for a suitable non-OLED replacement, a few years ago i also looked for a replacement for my man-room 55" ST60 and narrowed my choices down to several of the various Full Array / Local Dimming LCD TVs (which have much better contrast ratios and black levels than Edge-Lit) such as Vizio and TCL as well as the more expensive Sony. After lot of reading here about people's issue and problems with the Vizios and TCLs i decided to spend extra for the Sony X900E and i love it. Subsequent models are the X900F, and the current X900H. I also bought a perfect used 3 month old 49" X900F locally off Craigslist for half of what BB was selling it for when i thought my wife's 50" GT50 was dying but i ended up fixing the GT50 and stashed the 49" Sony away for the future.

While i like the look of the OLEDs, this Sony X900E is plenty good enough for me and i don't feel the urge to upgrade to an OLED (unless the Sony dies then i'll get a Sony OLED ha ha).

Now that it's 2 years later, the current Full Array / Local Dimming TCL and Vizio models may have improved so maybe check the LCD forum for discussion of these models as they're a lot less expensive than the Sonys and look almost as good. I just found the Sony to be a lot more natural looking and they're known for their better processing and color etc.

You also might want to check Craigslist for a clean used Sony X900 E or F or H etc.

Here's my post about the X900E vs my ST60:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-p...l#post58058802

Randy
Sony XBR-55X900E, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Darbee DVP-5000S, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - https://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #3 of 4 Old 06-05-2020, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If you can get it repaired for under $200-$300, I'd go that way. I have a 10 year old Samsung plasma TV (60") that recently had similar issues. It was a couple of capacitors in the power supply (common on all TVs of this vintage). I bought a Samsung QLED to replace it but the picture quality was just awful (super duper "soap opera") - couldn't watch it, even after adjusting all the offending settings. Apparently this is pretty common with all LCD/LED/QLED/OLED TVs). Returned the TV and got the Samsung repaired for $150.

Note that you must find a TV repair place that doesn't just swap out boards (as most are no longer available). Find a place that tests and replaces individual components on the boards and you should come out just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-08-2020, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Thanks Guys. I have the ST60 in for repair at my local shop. The tech who I have known for many years said I would be crazy to not try and get it repaired and then weigh the cost of the repair against a new set. He even said he loves the ST60 and not many new ones compare to it. Fingers crossed.
whipit likes this.

Gamertag: Quicksilver1663
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page