Official Panasonic PX60/600 Tweaking, Settings, Issues, Technical Thread! - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #691 of 7271 Old 05-16-2006, 05:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by croikee View Post

Reached the 100 hour mark (105 actually) on my new 60U. I have since upped the settings to:
Picture 10
Brightness 5
Color 0
Tint 0
Sharpness -5

I know for the 1st 1000 hours to have continued smarts on what I view, for example only 15% of my viewing time a week with material that has black bars. Just a quick question for my sanity, these settings at this point in time are okay, right? Thanks all!

Provided you run the PDP in standard or cinema mode, your settings are fine... they are similar to my 50PX50U, which has 1000+ hours of service and displays no evidence of permanent image retention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkratze1 View Post

Your settings look overly cautious. I have 120 hours logged on mine. I've had mine set to the settings below since the 50 hour mark and I have not had any IR issues. When I watch SD I stetch or zoom to remove bars but when I watch DVDs I don't worry about the bars.

Picture:+18
Brightness:+5
Color: +2
Tint: -2
Sharpness: +5

Dude... your PDP supports a very high contrast ratio and you will achieve a better picture by dialing your settings down a bit. I'm sure you guy's are familiar with Panasonic's white paper:

Plasma Facts and Myths Panasonic Presents Advice From the Video Purist Perspective
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 7271 Old 05-16-2006, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question 1:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyL712 View Post

I've got the 50" - what resolutions are you able to get working? I can only get 1280x720. 1366x768 isn't working for me. If someone has their powerstrip settings that work, I'd sure love to see them!

Question 2:
Quote:

When changing channels on the QAM tuner, it doesn't seem to want to remember my aspect settings. Nearly every channel gets side-bars and needs to be adjusted. Can this be fixed?

Does anyone know?
post #693 of 7271 Old 05-16-2006, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnamertz View Post

Anyone notice problems with dialogue being too hard to hear through the 50PX60U's speakers when the "surround sound" feature is turned on? I had a hard time hearing dialogue over sound effects the other night while watching Invasion. While watching Saturday Night Live the audience applause/laughter was about 3 times louder than the dialogue...it sounded like they were talking in a tin-can or they were too far away from their microhones. When I turned the "surround sound" feature off, the problem went away. In what situation is the surround sound feature good for?

I have had this problem and found the only solution is to turn off the surround or turn the internal speakers off and use my receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #694 of 7271 Old 05-16-2006, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docism View Post

Whew!!! what a relief - READ THIS - a very good thread about burn-in, image retention and breaking in a new Plasma or LCD. I know a lot of you veterans have seen all this before but this is a revelation for a noob like myself. Since the last flurry of posts have been related to this subject maybe some of this info. will ease your mind a bit.

Docism -- Your link doesn't work. Can you please provide a correct one?
post #695 of 7271 Old 05-16-2006, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortfeasor View Post

Docism -- Your link doesn't work. Can you please provide a correct one?

Sorry about that... it is now corrected. I took my Ambien a little too early last night.

THIS IS THE CORRECT LINK.

If you'll notice the thread starts in 03-20-04, is merged with another thread and finally ends up near the current date. A lot of good and bad info if you have the time.

Some folks just choose alternate realities, and there's nothing that can be put into words here that will co·ax them out of that.
post #696 of 7271 Old 05-16-2006, 05:17 PM

I just set up my 50px60u with my HTPC with a DVI-HDMI adaptor (1280x720). The handshake went OK and except for a bit of over/underscan the results looked very good. However, when I shut down the TV and power it up again, I loose the connection to the PC. If I unhook the DVI cable from the PC and reconnect it, then the handshake is established again. Anyone see this issue and can recommend a solution?
post #697 of 7271 Old 05-16-2006, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepinton View Post

I just set up my 50px60u with my HTPC with a DVI-HDMI adaptor (1280x720). The handshake went OK and except for a bit of over/underscan the results looked very good. However, when I shut down the TV and power it up again, I loose the connection to the PC. If I unhook the DVI cable from the PC and reconnect it, then the handshake is established again. Anyone see this issue and can recommend a solution?

No solution. ATI card? On ATI's site they even say there's no solution except to unplug/plug cable. Nothing to do with the TV. I have the same problem. Putting my computer into standby and then bringing it out again works well, though. Except i can't put it into standby while downloading torrents so i have restart my computer if i was downloading something and wanted to watch it.
post #698 of 7271 Old 05-16-2006, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanC View Post

No solution. ATI card? On ATI's site they even say there's no solution except to unplug/plug cable. Nothing to do with the TV. I have the same problem. Putting my computer into standby and then bringing it out again works well, though. Except i can't put it into standby while downloading torrents so i have restart my computer if i was downloading something and wanted to watch it.

Yes. It is a ATI card. Guess I need a new video card. Thanks.
post #699 of 7271 Old 05-17-2006, 12:40 AM

don't have that handshake hdmi problem w/ 7600GT & 37px60u
post #700 of 7271 Old 05-17-2006, 07:31 AM

If hooking up the 60u to a PC with HDMI, is it possible to pass spdif (digital) audio to the panel, or do we have to use analog audio?
post #701 of 7271 Old 05-17-2006, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I believe it will only accept analog audio. It only accepts digital audio from the QIM tuner (and outputs it with the toslink out)
post #702 of 7271 Old 05-17-2006, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I am thinking about getting my 42px60u ISF caliberated. I have definately over 100hrs on it.

Can this tv be caliberated properly or will it be a waste of money. The guy I have been in touch with has alot of references, many reviews and believes it can be tweaked to the proper settings.

I think the HD looks great but I believe I have an over saturation of green because I do see green trails sometimes when looking really quick or in a dark scene.

LG 65C9 OLED
Sony XBR-55A1E OLED
post #703 of 7271 Old 05-17-2006, 10:38 AM

First, I would like to thank everyone in the forum for making my selection of the Panny TH50PX60 an easy one.

My setup includes the 50PX60U, a Sony ES line surround receiver, DirecTV H20 box, Sony DVD Player (~5 yrs old).

I have a few questions, hopefully someone has answers on these:

1) In watching certain channels, the commercials are louder than the broadcast, making us pull volume down at each break. is there any way to overcome this on the Panny? I already have the option set to equalize all sound, but it does not seem to help.

2) On a few of the local channels coming off the DirecTV H20, I cant fill the screen, I only seem to get 4:3 mode. In making a selection, the screen does not change. What are the proper settings for the DirecTV box, and the TV? does one setting override the other?

3) I can't get the locals on the TV (rooftop antenna, hooked in via coax to TV) to maintain the settings for fullscreen. How can I save all of the settings to fill the screen in TV mode?

4) Sometimes, the DirecTV menu (as well as the TV picture) is too large to fit on the screen. What causes this, and how do I correct it?

Thanks in advance for any help.
post #704 of 7271 Old 05-17-2006, 10:40 AM

Quote:

I believe it will only accept analog audio. It only accepts digital audio from the QIM tuner (and outputs it with the toslink out)

Does it accept audio over the HDMI?
post #705 of 7271 Old 05-17-2006, 10:45 AM

I have the same settings as MdMnyMrph posted. Did you find those yourself? I got those settings actually off a review posted in a link. I found that looks best. Maybe 'warm' is more accurate, but for me 'normal' just looks better, not as red. I'm curious how many others have it on warm vs. normal? And do people just avoid cool?

How realistic is it that the clayface people say they see be attributed to seeing HD makeup faces? I was thinking this the other day when watching Sports Center (i don't notice it either on non-live content like 24). Its like I can see the makeup and I wonder if thats actually what people are calling clayface? I just consider it a dang fine picture.
post #706 of 7271 Old 05-17-2006, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendyl View Post

Does it accept audio over the HDMI?

Yes. I have my cable box going to HDMI #1 with audio and video, and my DVD player going through my receiver to HDMI #2 with audio and video. Works great, even with the non-ridiculously priced monoprice.com HDMI cables.
post #707 of 7271 Old 05-17-2006, 04:25 PM

Here is a new one, I went to Circuit City to pickup my Panasonic 50PX60U, since I only have a mid-size SUV (Buick Ranier) I could only fit the TV (in its box) in my truck on its side. They told me that plasma TVs could only be transported standing up, and made me schedule a delivery. Is there are truth to this? BTW it was delivered from the store in a Scion, on its side.
post #708 of 7271 Old 05-17-2006, 04:35 PM

Ive been using this Break-in DVD - Is this a good choice? Are there better?

download page

Some folks just choose alternate realities, and there's nothing that can be put into words here that will co·ax them out of that.
post #709 of 7271 Old 05-17-2006, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidDay View Post

Here is a new one, I went to Circuit City to pickup my Panasonic 50PX60U, since I only have a mid-size SUV (Buick Ranier) I could only fit the TV (in its box) in my truck on its side. They told me that plasma TVs could only be transported standing up, and made me schedule a delivery. Is there are truth to this? BTW it was delivered from the store in a Scion, on its side.

If you look on the box it says that the tv should only be transported standing up.

M I K E
post #710 of 7271 Old 05-17-2006, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I had last years model TH-42PX50U and now this years 60U. Much has changed. I can't even get a good picture in the VIVID mode on the 60U. Going into the STANDARD mode on this years model you'll find that the brightness will fall in the mid teens when calibrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemental1 View Post

AVIA has me at +8 for brightness (black level). It was the easiest of the settings to adjust. I am calibrating with dark levels @ light first.
Simply amazing how precise the plasmas are compared to older tech.
I am working on the other settings.....

post #711 of 7271 Old 05-17-2006, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yep, never lay a plasma on it's side.

Regarding break-in dvd, it's not necessary. just don't watch letterboxed for 100 hours.
post #712 of 7271 Old 05-17-2006, 06:28 PM

The reason for transporting standing up is the glass. Plasma tvs have big panes of glass in them, so bouncing them in a car can cause the glass the break from the weight. I drove mine home on its side in my Pilot. It was only a 2 mile drive and I drove carefully.
post #713 of 7271 Old 05-17-2006, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidDay View Post

I picked up the same TV in my SUV and it had to be on it's side. The first one I had to take back for some overheating power issues, the second one is fine so far. Maybe the reason the first one was bad was because of the transportation.

I just checked the box and it says transport upright only. It is probably to reduce the posbility of breaking it. The carton is padded on the top and bottom very well, but not the sides. It probably say that so people don't stack them horizontally and put pressure on the screen.
IMO it shouldn't break by taking it home on it's side. Just be sure not to stack anything on top of it.
post #714 of 7271 Old 05-17-2006, 07:09 PM

I have the H20 STB too. I keep my TV in the JUST mode and have the H20 set to NATIVE. Also, make sure your H20 is automaticaly switching resolution when going from an SD channel to an HD one. You can look at the front of the box to see what resolution your getting when changing back and forth. If it's stuck on 480i all the time (as mine was) you'll have to go into settings on the H20 STB and put a check mark next to every resolution from 480i to 1080i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairball43 View Post

First, I would like to thank everyone in the forum for making my selection of the Panny TH50PX60 an easy one.

My setup includes the 50PX60U, a Sony ES line surround receiver, DirecTV H20 box, Sony DVD Player (~5 yrs old).

I have a few questions, hopefully someone has answers on these:

1) In watching certain channels, the commercials are louder than the broadcast, making us pull volume down at each break. is there any way to overcome this on the Panny? I already have the option set to equalize all sound, but it does not seem to help.

2) On a few of the local channels coming off the DirecTV H20, I cant fill the screen, I only seem to get 4:3 mode. In making a selection, the screen does not change. What are the proper settings for the DirecTV box, and the TV? does one setting override the other?

3) I can't get the locals on the TV (rooftop antenna, hooked in via coax to TV) to maintain the settings for fullscreen. How can I save all of the settings to fill the screen in TV mode?

4) Sometimes, the DirecTV menu (as well as the TV picture) is too large to fit on the screen. What causes this, and how do I correct it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

post #715 of 7271 Old 05-17-2006, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanC View Post

I installed the latest (6.4) version of Catalyst and the issue is fixed. You can connect ATI cards to the panel with DVI/HDMI and still retain the proper handshake after powering the panel on/off.
post #716 of 7271 Old 05-17-2006, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepinton View Post

I installed the latest (6.4) version of Catalyst and the issue is fixed. You can connect ATI cards to the panel with DVI/HDMI and still retain the proper handshake after powering the panel on/off.

Not to take this thread too far off track, but thanks for the tip, i'll be sure to try it out tonight.

Edit: Tried it and it works great. Not only does it fix the handshake issues, but it also lets me send 1080p to the panel.
post #717 of 7271 Old 05-17-2006, 10:23 PM

So we have standard, vivid and cinema.
Say I set all three modes at exactly the same, will they look different still due to some factory setting on each? Or if, say, all three are '0' across the board will they look the same? I'm away from the TV for awhile so thought I'd just ask now.
post #718 of 7271 Old 05-18-2006, 04:02 AM

Mine does this to. It looks like a vertical pattern of ??? lava lamp glop. I think this is normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguy67 View Post

When turning on the 60U I'm noticing that it takes about 5 secs to fully power on and when it does it's showing some weird color type stuff before fully firing up. Almost psychadelic (sp) looking.

It didn't do this initially.

Is this normal, or are there worse things to come?

Thanks.

post #719 of 7271 Old 05-18-2006, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello, all! Great forum!

Got the TH-42PX60U a couple days ago and everything looks great, even with all the settings a little bit low during the break in period.

Last night, however, I DVR'd the HD version of Sopranos and decided to start watching the recording before it had finished. For some reason, though, my TV was muted. Normally if the 60U is muted, it displays "Mute" in red in the bottom left corner of the screen. This white "MUTE" was small, in the top center of the screen. Nothing I did, no remote I used, would remove it. Then, when the recording stopped, everything was back to normal again.

Anyone run into this? I'm figuring there's a setting somewhere that needs to be switched, but I'm not sure what it is. I tried both the HDMI 1 input and the Component 1 input, but both were muted.

Here are the elements involved:

Panasonic TH-42PX60U
Motorola DCT6412 III HD DVR (which I got through RCN)
HDMI cable from Motorola to TV
Component cable from Motorola to TV

Thanks!
post #720 of 7271 Old 05-18-2006, 07:26 AM

I have some questions, that Panasonic never replied to. I have the TH-50PX60U
1) The manual says that the HDMI connection can take in 480i. Has anyone tried this?
2) The manual also says that the HDMI connection can take in 1080p. Is this true, I thought the TV was only upto 1080i.
3) The AI audio setting. The manual says "Equalize overall volume levels across all channels and VIDEO inputs." What does that mean exactly? All I notice is that it sounds better. What would it be used for?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Th 58px60u 58 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Th 42px600u 42 Plasma Hdtv Television , Panasonic Th50px600u 50 Inch Plasma Flat Panel Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page