Philips 42PF9631D HD Plasma - Page 31 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #901 of 1692 Old 09-30-2009, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybigtv View Post

Thanks, Phanatic. It will probably be sometime this weekend before I have time to do the re-set. I'll get back with a report early next week. Hope everyone here has a great weekend.

Scry, FYI...the reset probably takes 2 minutes to do, so you can probably do it next time you turn on the TV.

Just scroll DOWN once you enter the SM and then scroll across when you hit the PDP Hours indicator at the bottom. That way, you won't touch any of the other settings. As long as you don't blindly move the cursor/toggle, you won't screw anything up.

Hit EXIT or MENU to get out once you reset everything.

Don't be worried about touching things, just follow my instructions and you'll be fine. It's a 2 minute operation, tops, even if it's your first time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1692 Old 09-30-2009, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmdelisle View Post

To All, I will be posting some information and photos soon regarding my repair of my 42PF9631:

(2) - 0.99 Capacitors + $7.47 Shipping = $9.55
(1) - RadioShack Soldering Station = $22.99
(1) - Coil Lead Free Printed Circuit Board Solder = $3.89
(1) - Turkey Baster (free)
(3) Hours of MY time - (free)
Total: $36.43

Doing what Philips (including North American CEO; I emailed him) was apparently to inept to do = Priceless

I'll talk you through it - don't be 'a-feared'.

Ps. I also have the full tech manual available (Oh, by the way it CLEARLY identifies the (7) Blinking Lights as a Power Supply problem, see photo)

I have the same thing, red light blinks 7 times. took the back off and could not find caps that look bad. do you have pics bad caps? are they on the main board?
post #903 of 1692 Old 10-01-2009, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by noblestar View Post

I have the same thing, red light blinks 7 times. took the back off and could not find caps that look bad. do you have pics bad caps? are they on the main board?

I'm no expert, but I am one of the 9631 owners who had to replace bad capacitors. From your description, there's no doubt in my mind that bad capacitors are the source of your problem.

To answer your question, the capacitors are located on the "Power Board," which I believe is a different board than the "Main Board." As for the faulty capacitors looking "bad," they can sometimes appear to be a little swollen at the top, but according to my technician friend, the faulty capacitors can sometimes look completely normal. Hopefully, an owner who knows better than me the location of the Power Board will reply to your post and let you know exactly where to look.

Good luck with replacing those bad capacitors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #904 of 1692 Old 10-01-2009, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Phanatic: I did the PDP Hours re-set this afternoon. You were right; it just took a couple of minutes and went off without a hitch. The PDD Hours had, indeed, stopped at 4,000. They are now set to "0."

The first set of hours on my plasma was 10,311. That's probably higher than many of our other posters, but my TV stays on throughout the day when a caregiver watches it, then also at night when my wife and I get home from work. Since I failed to re-set my counter for at least six months (possibly a full year), there would seem to be no sure-fire way for me to ever know my exact PDP Hours. About the best I can do is use your 80 percent model, which would put my PDP Hours at approximately 8,248. Would that sound about right to you?

Get back with me when you get a chance.
post #905 of 1692 Old 10-04-2009, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybigtv View Post

Phanatic: I did the PDP Hours re-set this afternoon. You were right; it just took a couple of minutes and went off without a hitch. The PDD Hours had, indeed, stopped at 4,000. They are now set to "0." The first set of hours on my plasma was 10,311. That's probably higher than many of our other posters, but my TV stays on throughout the day when a caregiver watches it, then also at night when my wife and I get home from work. Since I failed to re-set my counter for at least six months (possibly a full year), there would seem to be no sure-fire way for me to ever know my exact PDP Hours. About the best I can do is use your 80 percent model, which would put my PDP Hours at approximately 8,248. Would that sound about right to you? Get back with me when you get a chance.

Congrats Scry, I knew you'd figure it out. A couple of things and some other thoughts:

(1) Make sure the counter is now counting again. I'm sure it is but re-enter the SM and just make sure you now have moved off of "0000" and are now at a low-number reading.

(2) Write down 10,331 and 0 in the back of your Philips Manual. I'd go back into the SM in a few weeks and again in a few months and write the new numbers down. That will give you a long enough pattern of 'normal viewing' that you can then interpolate how many hours of TV you watch daily/weekly and how often your TV goes on/off daily/weekly.

Right now, I watch alot more TV with the NFL season and CNBC on all day -- probably double. My TV is also going ON/OFF a bit more now than normal since I am home while I job search. Over time, my normal pattern of viewing should smooth out any bumps up (or down). You'll do the same, too, over time.

Seems like your TV might stay on for big stretches of time. 8-10 hours of viewing straight means 2 clicks (on and off); another set of 8-10 hours could mean the set was turned on/off 2-3 times. That would add 1/2 hour for each time on/off. As you can see, this would increase the higher hour usage setting (the one at 10,311) relative to the PDP hours usage.

My guess is that about 8,300 hours is about right for your TV but come back here in a few weeks (and then months) and let's see how each of the hours have moved up. Look, we know the MAXIMUM hours is 10,311 -- and obviousley it's lower since we know the TV was turned ON/OFF at least a few times.

In fact, I'll bet if you guestimate how many times a day on average you turn the TV on/off each day, and then extrapolate that into a month's or year's On/Off's (assuming you don't leave the house for any long stretch of time like a vacation where it wasn't used), you could then figure out how many times it's gone On/Off since you bought it, subtract 1/2 hour from 10,331 for each On and each Off....and you'll probably be in the mid-8000's, give or take.

Just doing some rough calcs: if you have had the TV about as long as me, say 3 years right now, if the TV goes On and Off 2 times a day each, that would mean 2 extra hours per day to the higher usage setting.....multiplied by 365 days in a year X 3 years is about 2,400 hours higher than the PDP setting. You probably turn the TV on sometimes 2 times a day, maybe sometimes 1 time. Figure some days you're away from the house, days you don't use the TV, etc, vacations, etc, and the low-8000 range is probably right.

Like I said, once we see how the numbers go from 10,311 & "0000" we can interpolate a bit better.

BTW, write down the dates with the 2 sets of numbers going forward, too.
post #906 of 1692 Old 10-05-2009, 10:01 AM

hey guys,
i never got to fix the half black screen !
not even 2 weeks since i updated to the latest firmware, and before i got the time and material ready to do the board fix, the 9630 DIED !
yesterday, as i was watching the power went off, and it will not turn on again.
it has absolutely nothing on, no red blinking light, no green light on bottom right, nothing.
it must be something on the power supply/board.
looked through forum, did not find a similar situation.
i do have a very high viewing hours.
any clues ?
anybody replace the power supply/board ?
or is it time to buy another ?
i would hate that, as i love my ambilight and pic of the 9630, but it seems that the model was a lemon !
post #907 of 1692 Old 10-05-2009, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspnyc View Post

hey guys, i never got to fix the half black screen !
not even 2 weeks since i updated to the latest firmware, and before i got the time and material ready to do the board fix, the 9630 DIED !yesterday, as i was watching the power went off, and it will not turn on again.it has absolutely nothing on, no red blinking light, no green light on bottom right, nothing.t must be something on the power supply/board. looked through forum, did not find a similar situation.i do have a very high viewing hours. ny clues ? anybody replace the power supply/board ?or is it time to buy another ?i would hate that, as i love my ambilight and pic of the 9630, but it seems that the model was a lemon !

You need to go over the 9631 board or better yet the 9630 thread, like the last 10-15 pages of threads.

There's a solution but I'm not sure what it is. The key is to not have to replace the whole power unit, just the problem parts. Like Scry's solution with the capacitors instead of replacing the whole board.
post #908 of 1692 Old 10-11-2009, 04:33 PM

looks like i am not the only one with issues on my TV... i hvae the 50pf9631d/37 and have 2 issues
post #909 of 1692 Old 10-11-2009, 04:34 PM

i have both:
7 Quick reds
6 slow / 3 quick reds

any one know which specific issues these relate to?
post #910 of 1692 Old 10-11-2009, 04:38 PM

also has anyone noticed that it is possible to get teh set working if you have time to spare every morning... this is achieved by turning the TV on and then off again after about 10 seconds and repeating until when turning it off the screen lights up and shuts down properly, when this happens the set will stay on the next time.

It's iriating that the PSU appears to be of such a poor design on this TV. I had issues once before with the fact that the TV stopped working, turned out that time the fuse had blown - called a rapairman and he upgraded the fuse to a more industrial grade one.

I need to repair the TV this time myself (since nearly 200$ for a repair man is too much)... anyone with any info please help!
post #911 of 1692 Old 10-11-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post

Sure, Scry....enter the SM using the code "0-6-2-5-9-6-INFO" (the "6" might not show up on the screen, just hit it and then INFO and the Red Warning memo should pop up).

Scroll down to OPERATION HOURS PDP and you should be able to use the toggle directional keys to highlight the numbers....just change them all to "0".

Here are the 2 sets of hour usage (PDP Hours is 2nd) that I have written down over time:

1466.......1241 (1st reading)
4951.......4000* (this is when I noticed it got stuck)
7433.......6062 (current)

Scry, in my case, the ratio seems to have stabilized at about a ratio of 80% or so. Now, that's based on my viewing habits where I turn the TV on and off a set number of times (if you have a family and/or the TV goes on or off alot more than mine, then the ratio could be LOWER since 1/2 hour gets added to the higher figure each time the set goes on/off).

So I would estimate your PDP hours at about 80% based on my ratio. If others want to post their current numbers and the corresponding ratio or if anybody has been tracking the pair over time and knows what their ratio tends to be, let me know if my 80% figure is close to yours.

Scry, I would immediately write the 2 numbers down and the date in the Philips manual....then go back and check a few weeks/months later...keep doing it. You'll be able to find out what your ratio is from this point going forward and then re-estimate your PDP hours alot closer. Either way, you're in the ballpark.

Hope this helps. Report back once you've done this stuff.

PhilipsPhanatic i assume the "0-6-2-5-9-6-INFO" is the code that is required to enter the service menu, cn you let me know though and how i am supposed to enter this code? Do i have to be in any special screen to start with?
post #912 of 1692 Old 10-11-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmdelisle View Post

To All, I will be posting some information and photos soon regarding my repair of my 42PF9631:

(2) - 0.99 Capacitors + $7.47 Shipping = $9.55
(1) - RadioShack Soldering Station = $22.99
(1) - Coil Lead Free Printed Circuit Board Solder = $3.89
(1) - Turkey Baster (free)
(3) Hours of MY time - (free)
Total: $36.43

Doing what Philips (including North American CEO; I emailed him) was apparently to inept to do = Priceless

I'll talk you through it - don't be 'a-feared'.

Ps. I also have the full tech manual available (Oh, by the way it CLEARLY identifies the (7) Blinking Lights as a Power Supply problem, see photo)

Hey TMdelisle - do you by chance have any photos of the parts you replaced? also i found a photo of the board that i think has the issue, can you confirm it was this one : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=200385939653 Thanks!
post #913 of 1692 Old 10-11-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:

hey guys,
i never got to fix the half black screen !
not even 2 weeks since i updated to the latest firmware, and before i got the time and material ready to do the board fix, the 9630 DIED !
yesterday, as i was watching the power went off, and it will not turn on again.
it has absolutely nothing on, no red blinking light, no green light on bottom right, nothing.
it must be something on the power supply/board.
looked through forum, did not find a similar situation.
i do have a very high viewing hours.
any clues ?
anybody replace the power supply/board ?
or is it time to buy another ?
i would hate that, as i love my ambilight and pic of the 9630, but it seems that the model was a lemon !

Check the fuse - it's the one circled in red on this image.
LL
post #914 of 1692 Old 10-11-2009, 05:02 PM

ok, i;m in the service menu - my hours of operation are currently at 13642... the PDP was set to 4000.

now my question is what does this actually mean and is this related to the issues that i have with my 50pf9631d/37??? please help
post #915 of 1692 Old 10-13-2009, 06:25 AM

anyone out there know which caps have to be changed on the 50PF9631d/37 power supply to fix the 7 red lights error issue? I know that they are 3300uF, just don't know the exact location...!
post #916 of 1692 Old 10-13-2009, 11:43 AM

ding
post #917 of 1692 Old 10-13-2009, 05:04 PM

anyone? anywhere?
post #918 of 1692 Old 10-13-2009, 09:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwholden View Post

I need to repair the TV this time myself (since nearly 200$ for a repair man is too much)... anyone with any info please help!

RW, again....the 7-lights problem has been diagnosed either here or on the 9630 User Thread; go back over the last 5-15 pages, shouldn't take that long to read, might be diagnoses for the other problem, too.
post #919 of 1692 Old 10-13-2009, 09:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

PhilipsPhanatic i assume the "0-6-2-5-9-6-INFO" is the code that is required to enter the service menu, cn you let me know though and how i am supposed to enter this code? Do i have to be in any special screen to start with?

No, just be on the TV...might even work on another SOURCE input that isn't on (like the DVD player)...but just use the Philips remote to enter the digits or your universal. Remember, you're entering Philips TV numbers, not cable STB or satellite STB numbers.
post #920 of 1692 Old 10-13-2009, 10:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

ok, i;m in the service menu - my hours of operation are currently at 13642... the PDP was set to 4000.

Reset the 4000 hours as I listed above....your total hours of operation are probably about 11,000 (giver or take a few hundred hours).....once you reset the PDP figure and write the higher number down, go back to the SM in a few weeks/months and write down both numbers again. That'll give you your 'ratio' (I guestimated your PDP usage based on the 80% ratio above) and you can more accurately gauge your number. But given the higher figure of 13,642...I'm 99% sure your actual usage is no lower than 10,400 and doubt it's higher than the low 11'thousands.

Quote:

now my question is what does this actually mean and is this related to the issues that i have with my 50pf9631d/37??? please help

No, this is a reset of counters, nothing to do with the 2 problems you have with the TV (BTW, how do you have 2 different sets of blinking problems -- do you get 1 set and then the other and they alternate ?).
post #921 of 1692 Old 10-13-2009, 10:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

anyone out there know which caps have to be changed on the 50PF9631d/37 power supply to fix the 7 red lights error issue? I know that they are 3300uF, just don't know the exact location...!

I thought a few of our posters gave a detailed description here a few pages back; with pics; go back and check.

A technician or TV guy should be able to repair them for you if you have ID'd the problem...if you're not sure what you're doing, don't f' it up !!!
post #922 of 1692 Old 10-14-2009, 06:46 AM

Quote:

(BTW, how do you have 2 different sets of blinking problems -- do you get 1 set and then the other and they alternate ?).

Its really quite special - it started with the 6-3 issue, then we would pull the power, wait for cool down and plug in again, after that it would normally work. If after a while though after that procedure it would start with the 7 reds issue and we then have to work through that one too!!!!!
post #923 of 1692 Old 10-14-2009, 06:50 AM

Quote:

RW, again....the 7-lights problem has been diagnosed either here or on the 9630 User Thread; go back over the last 5-15 pages, shouldn't take that long to read, might be diagnoses for the other problem, too.

It has been discussed quite a lot in this thread, but at no time has anyone actually posted pictures of the location - i can repair myself without issue, just want to make sure i know exactly where before i go to the effort of taking the TV off the wall again
post #924 of 1692 Old 10-15-2009, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

It has been discussed quite a lot in this thread, but at no time has anyone actually posted pictures of the location - i can repair myself without issue, just want to make sure i know exactly where before i go to the effort of taking the TV off the wall again

OK, report back once you've fixed the problem(s).
post #925 of 1692 Old 10-29-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:

Check the fuse - it's the one circled in red on this image.

i dont know if this happens often, but i would like to say a HUGE thanks to RWHolden and Fanatic, Rugdog and Kenavs.
thanks to all of you i have been able to repair and get my 9630 w/over 16,000 hrs at 80% logged and its working perfectly now !
Holden was right, the outage was not because of faulty psu (that tech wanted 500$ to fix) not even bad capacitors! IT WAS THE FUSE that Holden so kindly showed me in his attached diagram ! it took a little while to find the right 8a 250 v fuse - could not find the ceramic original, but i finally found a glass one - and for 4$ - yes 4$ - and some screwing and unscrewing, up it went.
As i had the unit open - first time in my life i opened a tv - i went dusted unconnected and reconnected the Y buffers, like the Kenavs and Rugdog say in their repair instructions and for 0$ NO MORE HALF SCREEN BLACK-OUT !!
i could not - would not have had a clue - have done any of this without this forum and your help and would have had to lose my ambilight forever !
thanks again to everyone
post #926 of 1692 Old 10-31-2009, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

i dont know if this happens often, but i would like to say a HUGE thanks to RWHolden and Fanatic, Rugdog and Kenavs. thanks to all of you i have been able to repair and get my 9630 w/over 16,000 hrs at 80% logged and its working perfectly now ! Holden was right, the outage was not because of faulty psu (that tech wanted 500$ to fix) not even bad capacitors! IT WAS THE FUSE that Holden so kindly showed me in his attached diagram ! it took a little while to find the right 8a 250 v fuse - could not find the ceramic original, but i finally found a glass one - and for 4$ - yes 4$ - and some screwing and unscrewing, up it went. As i had the unit open - first time in my life i opened a tv - i went dusted unconnected and reconnected the Y buffers, like the Kenavs and Rugdog say in their repair instructions and for 0$ NO MORE HALF SCREEN BLACK-OUT !! i could not - would not have had a clue - have done any of this without this forum and your help and would have had to lose my ambilight forever ! thanks again to everyone

AWESOME !!! Just goes to show you how useful our AVS Philips threads can be even after our initial getting-familiar phase.

I've lost track of all the different repair solutions we've discussed over the last 12-18 months and as more and more people have been coming here looking for answers or e-mailing or PM'ing me, I will try and gather them all (along with the appropriate flashing light warning indicators that identify the specific problem or other visual problem) and have them added to an updated Philips Tips Sheet.

So if you posted or used a solution, or if you fixed yours and didn't post specifics here, jot it down so we can have a written list in the future with specific how-to fixes.
post #927 of 1692 Old 11-04-2009, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Would someone mind posting a picture of the main board vs. power board location? I'm having the same 7 red blink issue and would like to take the just the power board to the TV repair guy. Hoping to get this fixed before game 6 tonight!
post #928 of 1692 Old 11-07-2009, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1739 View Post

Would someone mind posting a picture of the main board vs. power board location? I'm having the same 7 red blink issue and would like to take the just the power board to the TV repair guy. Hoping to get this fixed before game 6 tonight!

Chris, did you get the problem fixed before Game 6 (aka Yankee WS # 27 ).

There's a new thread in this section from someone with a 63" model and he seems to have or have had the same blinking light problem (I get confused on all these blinking sequeneces) and he had some great pics that might be what you need.

If you didn't get it fixed yet, you have 90 days until pitchers and catchers report.
post #929 of 1692 Old 11-07-2009, 02:20 PM

At the request of PhilipsPhanatic, here is the copy of the thread I started on the 63" that had red blinking code issues that I resolved...

I am basically putting this thread together for anyone that may have a similar problem with their Philips Cineos 63" Plasma TV #63PF9631D/37. There are similar threads on this subject, but most deal with the 42" version. Although this is similar, there are enough difference to hopefully warrant it's own thread.

With that said, I will give a little background on the problems I had with my set.

I bought the TV back in early 2007 from Sam's Club and mounted it on the wall in our basement media room. The TV was fine up until about a year and a half later when it started showing the classic symptoms of shutting off, the green LED turning red and flashing 7 times. Unplugging and plugging the unit back in (typically repeated about 6 or 7 times) before it would finally stay on.

This frequency of the set shutting off kept getting progressively worse to the point it was happening about once a week. The number of times it took to unplug and plug the set in to get it to work was more and more as well. Sometimes it would take 15 tries before it would stay on.

During the latest round of problems, I noticed that the set was blinking 6 times now instead of 7, for some odd reason. I did notice that with all components off I would unplug the TV, wait and plug the set back in it, the set would stay on with the green LED solidly lit. As soon as I turned on the digital set top box or the Bluray player, the set would immediately shut off and the LED would turn red and blink 6 times.

I read these forums and based on the 42" plasma sets, decided to see if I had the same issue with my 63" unit. I pulled the set off the wall, laid it on the floor and proceeded to remove the literally hundreds of hex screws on the back. Once opened up, it looked like the following picture. This picture is shown with the top of the TV closest to me, basically viewed upside down. This picture is also shown with two of the boards removed. There are some edge connectors that need to be carefully removed, but they easily lift off.

This next picture is a close up of the two boards removed from the set. The smaller board on the left I am calling the power supply board. The larger board on the right I am calling the power driver board.

Notice the location of the 3300uF, 10V capacitors. These are the capacitors people with 42" sets had noticed were expanded on top and had blown. In my case they looked fine. The larger 270uF, 450V capacitors, on the other hand, looked as though the tops had noticeably expanded. Since I had the TV apart I thought I might as well replace those as well. So, I ordered (2) 3300uF, 10V and (4) 270uF, 450V capacitors from Digikey.

This next picture shows the new capacitors. They are as follows:
270uF, 450V Digikey# 493-2864-ND
3300uF, 10V Digikey# 493-1754-ND

I removed all the old capacitors and replaced them with the new ones. Be sure to observe the polarity. There is a white stripe on the capacitors that is the negative side of the capacitor. This goes back in the printed circuit board aligning with the thick solid white marking printed on the circuit board.

Installed the boards, reconnected the connectors, put the back on and stood it up. I plugged the set in, hooked up the digital set top box and VOILA! A picture!

I hope this may help someone out that has the larger 63" Philips Cineos plasma, with similar problems to mine, get it up and running. There was no way I was going to pitch a 2 year old set!
post #930 of 1692 Old 11-09-2009, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Great post and pics...this is why this thread is so great, a relatively solution to a problem afflicting the TV's a few years in makes them fully repairable at a very low cost. Hopefully, we all get another 10,000 hours out of the 9631's !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Philips 37pf9631d 37 Inch Lcd Hdtv With Ambilight , Philips Consumer Electronic , Philips Consumer Electronics

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page