Pioneer PDP-505CMX / 507CMX / 607CMX monitor - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 641 Old 11-17-2011, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi.

I have a client who has one of these for their conference room, and used it very very sparingly. They want to sell it and they are looking for a good price. It is a PDP507CMX and has the RCA slot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 641 Old 11-17-2011, 08:27 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by clwolf View Post

Hi. I have a client who has one of these for their conference room, and used it very very sparingly. They want to sell it and they are looking for a good price. It is a PDP507CMX and has the RCA slot.

They might get a few hundred bucks if someone knows the limitations of that unit, or maybe $300-$400 if someone is just buying the Pioneer name and doesn't realize the monitor's limitations. It was a great display back in 2005, but a current $600-$800 Panasonic will outperform it on every level. And the 505CMX doesn't have an HDMI input so it's restricted to old-school analog inputs only.

My friend just bought a 60" Panny ST30 to replace his beloved 504CMX. We set it up a few days ago and the ST30 kills that 504 in every picture quality category. He was astounded with the improvement in picture quality, detail, and naturalness of the image. He bought the new TV primarily because he was unable to watch streaming HD on the 504CMX since it doesn't have HDMI and is not HDCP compliant - and the TV won't display the video.

Randy
Sony XBR-55X900E, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890, MX-500 Remotes.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - https://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #633 of 641 Old 11-17-2011, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

They might get a few hundred bucks if someone knows the limitations of that unit, or maybe $300-$400 if someone is just buying the Pioneer name and doesn't realize the monitor's limitations. It was a great display back in 2005, but a current $600-$800 Panasonic will outperform it on every level. And the 505CMX doesn't have an HDMI input so it's restricted to old-school analog inputs only.

My friend just bought a 60" Panny ST30 to replace his beloved 504CMX. We set it up a few days ago and the ST30 kills that 504 in every picture quality category. He was astounded with the improvement in picture quality, detail, and naturalness of the image. He bought the new TV primarily because he was unable to watch streaming HD on the 504CMX since it doesn't have HDMI and is not HDCP compliant - and the TV won't display the video.

Thanks, this helps a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #634 of 641 Old 11-18-2011, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1159 Post(s)
Liked: 1345
I agree with Randy's pricing assessment. $500 would be at the high end, I would guesstimate, but not very likely. $300, give or take $100, seems the most plausible.

Quote:
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard P. Feynman
post #635 of 641 Old 09-16-2012, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
WHere is the unit located and how many hrs on the set?

Mike
post #636 of 641 Old 07-04-2018, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
The last post on this thread was from 2012, but... without starting another thread for some ancient history device, I thought I'd ask this long shot question here:

* Is there any modern day, (meaning 2018), replacement for a Key Digital KD-PC2 video card or equivalent that will work in a Pioneer PDP-507CMX ???

* Here's my situation... I've had a 507CMX since 2007 and it seems the video card is now shot. But the plasma screen is maybe ok. I believe this because the card kind of started to fritz out slowly with different inputs failing, as opposed to the screen going bad. My next thing to try is to use the standard inputs just on the 507CMX and skip the card to use it for an Xbox. (I'm waiting on a delivery of an HDMI to DVI cable and a S/PDIF to 3.5" converter to try to plug my Xbox in directly.) This would at least make some use of this monitor.

But... ideally, I'd get back some way to at least feed it a real HDMI cable. Or a Roku unit. or something more useful.

It's not worth spending hundreds and hundreds at this point, but I'd hate to have to dump this thing if I can still get some use out of it.

Thanks for any suggestions, (if anyone actually ever sees this long dead thread or knows anything about this now ancient tech.)

-Scott
post #637 of 641 Old 07-08-2018, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottonavs View Post
The last post on this thread was from 2012, but... without starting another thread for some ancient history device, I thought I'd ask this long shot question here:

* Is there any modern day, (meaning 2018), replacement for a Key Digital KD-PC2 video card or equivalent that will work in a Pioneer PDP-507CMX ???

* Here's my situation... I've had a 507CMX since 2007 and it seems the video card is now shot. But the plasma screen is maybe ok. I believe this because the card kind of started to fritz out slowly with different inputs failing, as opposed to the screen going bad. My next thing to try is to use the standard inputs just on the 507CMX and skip the card to use it for an Xbox. (I'm waiting on a delivery of an HDMI to DVI cable and a S/PDIF to 3.5" converter to try to plug my Xbox in directly.) This would at least make some use of this monitor.

But... ideally, I'd get back some way to at least feed it a real HDMI cable. Or a Roku unit. or something more useful.

It's not worth spending hundreds and hundreds at this point, but I'd hate to have to dump this thing if I can still get some use out of it.

Thanks for any suggestions, (if anyone actually ever sees this long dead thread or knows anything about this now ancient tech.)

-Scott
Scott,

I can not help you with your problem but I can say that I too still run a PDP=507 CMX monitor. It is my TV in my bedroom. It blew a power board several years ago and I was lucky enough to find a replacement then. Doubt if it would be available now. However, I kept the blown board and figured I would get it repaired should I ever need a new one.

Have you considered looking for the Pioneer plug in boards instead?

Mike
post #638 of 641 Old 07-09-2018, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes. Good thought.

I ordered one of these off of ebay:

Pioneer PDP-4304 Video Processing Board AWV2098 (ANP2072-D, PDA-5004)

It showed up Saturday. I haven't installed it yet. Still, even before trying it I've come up with a partial solution. Even with the - apparently - fried board, there's still a DVI input for video and standard audio jack on the monitor itself. In order to at least not waste the big plasma, I got a mounting bracket and moved it from living room to basement for an Xbox. I got an HDMI to DVI converter cable, and then a little box on Amazon that converts optical video out to the standard audio plug, (I think it's 3.5mm or something.) This actually works to get video and audio from the Xbox to the Pioneer; though you have to change audio settings on the Xbox to something simple. It was on 5.1 and just gave me a nasty noise of some sort. I figured it was worth spending $50 on some cables to see if I could save - what was back in 2007 or 2008 - thousands of dollars worth of monitor. (Before having to actually PAY another couple hundred just to remove it.)

Meanwhile... I've replaced that living room unit with a Sony 900F 55" and we're going to cut the cord. So in the end, this has helped force us to being cord cutters. The new gear will get paid for over two years based on cable savings alone. We're also going to go with TiVo, which isn't strictly necessary, but will make it easier for family to use a single simple remote. Now, for the Pioneer, if the new card works, I'll be able to put composite video into it. Which means I could one day hook up a remote TiVo mini into it. (I'm hardwiring cat 5 down to that area.) The end result might be that we'd have TV in the basement for the first time. The TV that had been there was never hooked up to anything other than the Xbox. But now, it would actually be do-able to get TV there, which would be nice as that's where the work out gear is.

Bottom line is this monster size monitor (well, to us it's huge anyway) has been at least partially rescued. Whether it can be further utilized is the question. Part of me is afraid of putting in the new board for fear of further damaging something that is now at least useful. But... you know... I'm still going to try it. : )

Who knows, maybe this solution will work for others. Bottom line is HDMI to DVI works. And optical audio to 3.5 headphone jack works.

Scott
post #639 of 641 Old 03-09-2019, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am going to resurrect an old thread. I have a PDP-507CMX with DVI input. I can connect the DVI to a converter piece and plug my HDMI cable into that. But I won't have audio. So I bought an HDMI audio video splitter.
And the audio works great, but the Video is pink. It's not the HDMI splitter, since it works great on a TV with HDMI input. Is there a way around this issue?
are these KEY DIGITAL KD-PC2 digital video cards still around?
post #640 of 641 Old 03-10-2019, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by NE555 View Post
I am going to resurrect an old thread. I have a PDP-507CMX with DVI input. I can connect the DVI to a converter piece and plug my HDMI cable into that. But I won't have audio. So I bought an HDMI audio video splitter.
And the audio works great, but the Video is pink. It's not the HDMI splitter, since it works great on a TV with HDMI input. Is there a way around this issue?

Getting this digital video card could maybe be more expensive then finding a "consumer" 50 inch Pioneer Plasma with HDMI Inputs..

Panasonic 42inch ST60 owner
Panasonic 42inch S10 ES (Europe/Silver) owner
post #641 of 641 Old 03-10-2019, 08:53 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by NE555 View Post
The DVI input on your monitor is for a PC signal only. That input is not HDCP Compliant so it won't display content from a cable box or disc player etc.

There are some HDMI-to-Component Video converter boxes in the $30 range that strips the HDCP from the signal and displays the content via the Component Input.

There is discussion about these converters scattered around the Plasma forum, mostly in threads related to Pro Monitors. They were a common workaround on non-HDCP monitors and seem to work well.

Edit - i found some posts in this thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-p...l#post57374992

________

Randy
Sony XBR-55X900E, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890, MX-500 Remotes.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - https://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...

Last edited by RandyWalters; 03-10-2019 at 09:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page